InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ 22 Weeks or 10 Months ❯ 22 Weeks or 10 Months ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

22 weeks or 10 months

Inuyasha Fanfiction

By Kittyonnails

"Going somewhere?" Kagome jumped at the sound of Inuyasha's voice. Of course he had caught her trying to slip back to her own time.

"I'm going home. Just for a day or two. I'll be back soon, I just need to, study." She held up the floppy shell of her canvas backpack, "I'll bring potatoes chips and ramen. Just don't make a big deal, Ok"

Inuyasha smirked. "Like hell. You know we have to have you here to get anything done. Just 'cuz you haven't been feeling well…"

Kagome sighed. She had known it would probably come to this. After all they had been through lately, she hated to do it, but he was really pushing her.

"Sit!" She hollered and leapt down the well.

* * * * * * * * * *

It was embarrassing, really. She was only a week away from her sixteenth birthday and buying a home pregnancy test. Her cheeks were so red now, she wondered how she would ever explain this to her family. "please let it be some awful disease." she silently prayed.

Freed from the convenience store, Kagome ran home. She had to take the test to put her mind at ease. It had been too long since her last period. She thought someone had told her that stress could cause a missed period, but she knew that wasn't the only possibility.

"How could I be so stupid?" She asked herself. She was a modern girl, she knew all about contraceptives. Somehow all that had faded away when Inuyasha held her. Their moments alone were so rare and life so fleeting in the feudal era, "at the time it seemed like the right thing to do." She told herself. They had only been together twice, how could this be happening to her?

Kagome burst in the front door, pausing only briefly to shed her shoes in the entryway. Immediately she locked herself in the bathroom. This was it. Time to find out if she was worrying over nothing. God, she hoped she was worrying over nothing.

The instructions seemed easy enough. In Japanese and simple English, they told her where to pee, and what to look for in the windows. One line for not pregnant, and two for pregnant. "Here goes nothing" she thought to herself.

The waiting was unbearable. Kagome kept glancing at the cursed stick sitting on the counter next to the sink. The seconds ticked away on her watch slowly. She didn't dare leave the bathroom. What if her mom found the test sitting there? No way, she was going to be sure before she got herself into any of that. As far as anyone knew she was still a virgin, and that's how she intended on keeping. Unless she had no choice. Kagome sighed as her watch began ticking away the seconds, counting down the last agonizing minute she had to wait.

Two lines. Two very clear lines and one in the control window. She was pregnant. Kagome's heart sank into her knees. "How am I going to tell Inuyasha?" She wondered. "There's nothing to be done." she sighed. It was clear to Kagome that she would have to get an abortion. Sixteen year old girls just don't have babies. Especially time-traveling, jewel shard detecting, high school students. Kagome shoved the packaging into the trash and picked up the test. It was time to talk to her mom.

"Really, Kagome. I thought you knew better." Her mother sighed, looking at the test. Kagome hung her head. "Sorry mom." was all she could say.

"Well, there's nothing to be done." her mother said as she picked up the phone. "I'll make you an appointment with the abortionist. We won't verify the pregnancy at the regular doctor if we don't' have to." She gave her daughter a stressed smile and petted her head. "It'll be ok, Kagome."

Kagome nodded at her mother's words. "I have to go now. If I don't get back, Inuyasha will start looking for me." Her mom shot her a stern look, but said nothing. Kagome winced, but began stuffing her backpack.

* * * * * * * * * *

Kagome put her hand on her abdomen, right where the baby was growing. She looked down into the well. "I wonder if I'll have to keep that appointment. Life in the feudal era might cause a miscarriage." she thought. Anything seemed possible. She was so out of her element with this. She held her breath as she jumped into the well.

"Kagome!" Shippo cheered as she climbed out of the well.

"'bout damn time." Inuyasha grumbled, lifting her out. Shippo began pulling at the backpack, searching for the snacks and sweets she always brought. Kagome shrugged out of the backpack, letting it fall to the floor.

"Inuyasha, I need to talk to you." He looked at her, his interest peaked. Shippo paused too, waiting to hear whatever it was Kagome was going to say.

"alone." she added, steering Inuyasha away from the well, and the kitsune. Inuyasha sneered back at Shippo as he followed Kagome into the woods.

Kagome's cheeks were on fire again. It was time to let Inuyasha in on what they had done. She would need to go home for almost a week to have the abortion, and there was no way she could excuse herself with another lie, not to him.

"So what's up?" he asked, looking curiously at the blush on her cheeks.

"Inuyasha, remember, a few weeks ago… when we… and then, once before that…" she stammered, not really sure where to begin.

"Yes." he said, softening at the mention of such intimate moments.

"I'm pregnant." she blurted, finding no artful way to say it.

"What?" Inuyasha frowned, "that's impossible."

"Why?" Kagome looked up at him for the first time. "Why would it be impossible, we did have sex."

"Because. I'm half demon. It's almost impossible for a human woman to bear my child."

"Well, your mother was human, and I'm pregnant." Inuyasha looked away at that.

"I guess. What are we going to do? You can't go looking for the jewel until after the baby. Ten months without getting anything done. Naraku will have it all by then."

Kagome shook her head. "I'm not letting that happen. Next month, I have an appointment. I'm getting an abortion. There's just no way I can have a baby. I'm only sixteen. There's nothing to be done."

"What's an abortion? Will that help?" Inuyasha frowned at the foreign word.

"It ends the pregnancy."

"What about you? Won't that hurt you?" Inuyasha had never heard of such a thing. Sure, people tried to do it all the time, but most of the time it killed the woman as well as the child.

"No. I'll do it in my time. It will be painful I think, but I'll be fine."

"Kagome, are you sure about this?" Inuyasha looked at her intensely, trying to process all the information and emotion that had suddenly hit him.

"There's nothing to be done." Kagome answered and walked toward the village.

 

* * * * * * * * * *

"For you." Miroku handed Kagome a small heavy bundle wrapped in a cotton cloth. "Thanks" she answered as she unfolded the wrapping. It was a stone Jizo. The patron of aborted, miscarried and stillborn children. Tears filled Kagome's eyes.

It had been a week since she returned to the feudal era with news of her condition. She hadn't intended on telling anyone but Inuyasha. Secrets were hard to keep though, and everyone seemed to know what was going on. It had, apparently, been too much for Inuyasha. He hadn't been seen for five days. Kagome hugged Miroku tightly. His understanding meant a lot. She thought about her friends' reactions. Sango and Kaede had insisted that Kagome was old enough to have a child. Shippo had cried. Inuyasha had left. Miroku seemed to be the only one who understood. "thank-you" she whispered.

"It will work itself out." Miroku said as their embrace ended. "Buddha is merciful, and Jizo will see to it that the little one gets another chance." Kagome nodded.

"I am just surprised that this is a problem. Doesn't your time have some way to prevent this?"

Kagome sighed and nodded. " Five years ago we got birth control pills. You take them, and they keep you from getting pregnant."

"Then why don't you use this potion?" He asked, wondering if perhaps the abortion she had spoken of was the potion.

"It's expensive, and only for party girls. Insurance doesn't cover it and you have to go to the doctor every three months. I'm only sixteen, so I shouldn't be needing them. Besides, I just don't have six thousand yen to spare each month. My abortion will be paid for by my mom's insurance."

Miroku frowned, thoroughly confused. "what is insurance?" he asked, not really sure where to start with the many questions her story had raised.

"Just something from the future. Don't worry about it Miroku. Thanks for the Jizo. I really do appreciate it." Kagome smiled at him as she walked away.

Talking to Miroku made her wonder why she had stayed here all week. Her appointment wasn't for another month, but she was beginning to want to go home. "Maybe with Inuyasha gone, this is my chance." Kagome thought as she slipped into the cottage. Quietly she wrote a good-bye letter and set it on top of her things. She would be back, in a month. Until then she could go home and catch up on her schoolwork. Hopefully Inuyasha would be back by the time this was all over.

"I wonder where he is." Kagome murmured, just before dropping into the dry well.

 

 

 

 

-------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------

 

 

 

 

22 Weeks or 10 Months

InuYasha Fanfiction

By Kittyonnails

"Only another week." Kagome thought to herself as she looked at the date on the blackboard in the front of the classroom. She had been attending classes regularly, but it didn't seem to be helping her grades. She hadn't told anyone but her mom about her pregnancy, so her thoughts had to be kept to herself. That wasn't easy when her friends kept asking her about her boyfriend. It was impossible to know what to say to them. Consequently, she had been avoiding her friends. That only made them more suspicious. Kagome tried to concentrate on the lesson. It was algebra, one of her worst enemies. She would need all the help she could get.

* * * * * * * * * *

Kagome walked into the house without announcing her arrival. She just didn't feel like seeing anyone. She was tired, all she wanted was a nap. She headed up to her room, stopping in the kitchen for some juice. "I just want it to be over." she thought to herself, staring into her grape juice. She wasn't sure if the end of her pregnancy would fix things though. Her life in the present would smooth over, but she wasn't as sure about the feudal era. Abortion was ingrained into modern day minds, she would just have to place the Jizo Miroku had given her at the shrine and say prayers for her baby's soul. It would probably work, even without Inuyasha. That's what was bothering her, Inuyasha. His absence was amplified by her constant thoughts of him. It seemed perverse that the product of their physical love seemed to be what had driven him away. She sighed and finished her juice. There's nothing to be done.

Kagome flopped face down onto her bed. She was so tired lately. It had to be something to do with the pregnancy. Even when it wasn't obvious to everyone else, she was becoming increasingly aware of the changes in her body. She looked up at the open window, wondering if she had left it that way.

"Kagome." It was Inuyasha. She had been so caught up in her thoughts, she hadn't noticed that he was standing in the dark room. He walked over and sat on the bed next to her.

"Inuyasha, what are you doing here?" She asked, sitting up to face him.

"I need to talk to you Kagome." He answered gently, searching her eyes for answers to his unasked questions. Kagome nodded, encouraging him. "What I've been wondering is… I mean, what I said before… I was surprised and… uh… Are you sure this isn't a mistake?" He looked at her, searching.

"What do you mean a mistake? Wouldn't it be a bigger mistake to not…" Her voice trailed off as her thoughts scattered. Suddenly she was not sure.

"What I mean is, It's so rare for a demon-human coupling to produce a child. It seems like we're just ignoring that. If we don't appreciate what we have, we can't be sure it will be offered to us again. I mean, if we don't keep the baby, someone else might get it."

"by reincarnation." Kagome added, relieved that Inuyasha seemed willing to participate in the necessary rituals to speed along their child's reincarnation.

"So maybe you shouldn't… I mean it wouldn't be that bad if we had a baby. Everyone knows already - right?" he reached over and took he hand in his, squeezing it encouragingly.

"That's what you want?" Kagome asked, still unsure.

"Just think about it. Would it really ruin everything?"

"But Naraku, and the Shikon jewel-"

"It's not that long." He smiled gently. "You think, even if Naraku does get the rest of the shards, that we won't beat that bastard? It's only ten months, right? Then we can keep on."

Kagome shook her head. "That's not realistic Inuyasha. How will we keep on with a baby?"

He shrugged, "We've got Shippo. He's little, weak and useless. I bet our pup would be cuter, and tougher too." Kagome had to smile at that. She had been trying hard not to think about what the baby would look like if it were born. It wasn't so bad when Inuyasha said it like that. Still, she wasn't convinced about his idea. Her mind raced, trying to find the words to explain why she couldn't become a teenage mother.

"It's ok, if you need to think about it." He said tenderly, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her to him. Kagome relaxed in his embrace, resting her head on firm warmth of his chest. She was so tired, and listening to Inuyasha's heartbeat was so soothing. "if nothing else" she thought, "I do love him"

"It's a boy!" the nurse smiled at Kagome, handing her a small bundle wrapped in a blue blanket. She peered inside at the angelic face of a newborn baby.

"Look at those ears!" she grinned up at Inuyasha. He smiled back at her.

The door opened and Kagome smiled as her mom and Souta walked in, carrying flowers and a balloon. "Lemme see!" Souta demanded, standing on his tip-toes to try and get a peek at the new addition.

"This is Inuchiisai, your nephew." Kagome said as she showed the infant to her brother.

"Now Kagome, it's bad luck to introduce your son before his naming day." her mother chided, smiling at the sleeping infant. Kagome smiled and watched her baby sleep. He really was the cutest, and most beautiful thing she had ever seen.

Inuyasha sighed. "there's nothing to be done."

"What do you mean?" Kagome asked, frowning at Inuyasha's pained expression. Her mom and Souta seemed to have left her alone with him.

"We can't take him back to the feudal era, Kagome." He said, reaching for the infant.

"But, you said…" He was too strong for her, the baby seemed to slip out of her grasp easily.

"There's nothing to be done." he said again, as if it were some comfort to her.

"no" Kagome gasped in horror as her eyes burst open.

"What is it?" Inuyasha asked, as she looked around the room. Kagome put her hand on her stomach and looked at Inuyasha.

"a dream." she whispered, remembering the child's sweet face. Maybe Inuyasha was right. Maybe it was a mistake.

"This is the twelfth week." she said. "My appointment is on Thursday, but if I skip it, we only have ten more weeks to decide. After that, I can't have the abortion." Inuyasha smiled slightly.

"you mean, you're not going to do it?" he asked.

"I need to think about it. I'm not sure anymore." Kagome shook her head as a tear rolled down her cheek. It still seemed like there wasn't anything to do about it, but she couldn't just ignore her dream either.

"I'm going to reschedule my appointment. Two more weeks." Inuyasha nodded.

"I'm staying with you here. Until it's over or you come back with me, I want to stay here." Kagome nodded. She was glad he wasn't leaving again. She was glad he had come.

* * * * * * * * * *

"Mom, we need to talk." Kagome said as she took a seat at the kitchen table. Inuyasha followed suit, sitting on her left and taking her hand. Kagome's mother put down the knife she was slicing carrots with.

"What's this about Kagome? You can't keep rescheduling the abortion. It will be worse if you wait." She said as she took a seat at the table.

"No mom, I don't want to reschedule. Inuyasha and I have decided not to do it. We want to have our baby." She smiled weakly at her mother. In all her sixteen years she had never stood up to her mother like this. She felt so grown up, and so childlike all at once. Never without Inuyasha would she have even considered having a baby. She squeezed his hand slightly, drawing strength and courage from him. Since when was she afraid of her mother anyway?

"You know that's impossible Kagome." Her mom looked from her to Inuyasha. "I just want you to do what's best, and an abortion is best for now. You're too young." She looked sympathetically at them both, but stood firm.

"No, mom, I can't do it. There's no way to know if we would ever have the chance again. I'd never forgive myself if I rejected this baby now, and never again got the opportunity. You don't know how rare it is for a human and demon to have a child. This is not something I can just throw away."

Mrs. Higurashi sighed. "How will you raise a child with the life you lead, Kagome? Babies are a lot of work and you are not ready to settle down with a family. I doubt Inuyasha is either. You two have to consider what it would mean to have a child. Your whole lives will change. I just can't see you giving up this quest in the feudal age, and high school. Everything, Kagome, and Inuyasha will have to settle down too. You will have to take care of her and your child."

Inuyasha sniffed. "I already do take care of her. We're fine. It's not like we're not willing to sacrifice some things. We're just not willing to give up so easily."

"Mom" Kagome looked to her mother, "We're going to do it. You're right about everything, but it will be ok. We're both strong enough to do this."

Mrs. Higurashi nodded. "I guess I'm going to be a grandmother." she sighed. Kagome and Inuyasha smiled.

* * * * * * * * * *

Kagome smiled and held up the box for Inuyasha to see.

"It's exactly what we'll need." She told him, "This way I can carry the little one on my back while we travel. Inuyasha looked at her quizzically.

"If the baby's on your back, how will you carry your backpack?" he asked.

"Dummy, someone else will have to carry my backpack. You could try it!" Inuyasha shrugged and scratched his ears through the baseball cap he was wearing to cover them. Now that he was living in Kagome's time, he had to wear modern clothes to keep from attracting too much attention. He was uncomfortable in such form-fitting garments. Kagome wasn't showing her condition yet, and was still attending school, so he only had to dress like this when she wanted him to shop with her.

"Well, this is all we need. Let's go find Mom and go to the checkout." Kagome smiled as she led the way, weaving through the maze of merchandise toward her mother. Suddenly she stopped and grabbed her stomach in pain, dropping the box on the floor. It felt like someone had stabbed her in the abdomen. Fear ripped through her as she felt a gush of warmth between he legs.

"Kagome, what's wrong?" Inuyasha knocked over a rack of baby clothes as he pushed his way in front of her, kneeling down to where she was crouched and putting his hands on her shoulders. She sobbed.

"Inuyasha, the baby-" she managed before losing consciousness.

Kagome awoke slowly and watched the white ceiling above her. Did that really happen? Must have, nothing seemed familiar here.

"Kagome? You awake?" It was Inuyasha's voice. He sounded so somber, like he was afraid to even hope for her consciousness.

"mmm." she managed, turning to the sound of his voice. "Inuyasha, what happened?"

"Kagome." He took her hand tenderly. "the baby's gone." His voice was barely a whisper, but his words tore into her mind and echoed loudly.

"Gone?" She sniffed, staring tearfully at his profile. He watched the floor as if it held the answer to their grief.

"yes." Inuyasha sat silent after that, listening to the sounds of her quiet weeping. After several minutes, he reached for her hand and turned to look at her.

"We were wrong. It wasn't meant to be."

Kagome nodded shakily.

"There's nothing to be done."

----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------

Author Notes:

Well, hope this made you think, even if it's not the most fun thing in the world. Thanks for reading.