InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ 22 Weeks or 10 Months ❯ Meanwhile ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

22 Weeks or 10 Months

Inuyasha Fanfiction

By Kittyonnails

Prologue

Sango sighed as she slipped into the steaming water. A hot spring was a luxury afforded her by luck on this journey. She wasn't alone much anymore. Even now that things seemed to be settling down a bit, it seemed like Miroku was always around. She winced at the thought of the monk. She, along with all her friends, more than suspected Miroku's feelings for her.

"I'll never let him know." She swore to the sky.

Sango had felt her affection for the lecherous monk growing from the start. Kagome's recent condition had just added salt to the wound. She knew that she would never be able to do the thing Miroku so consistently requested of every woman he met. She wondered it he was watching her now. It saddened her to think about it. The extreme injuries she had sustained in the battle with Naraku that had nearly taken her life along with her family had healed well enough for her to seek vengeance. They had not healed well enough for her to bear children. Without her womanly cycle, Sango knew she was infertile. Kagome's accidental pregnancy had only reminded her of what she could not have.

Sango sighed heavily. "How can she do that, just throw away the chance?" She asked the forest.

"She is from a world far different from ours." Came the reply. Sango knew the voice, Miroku was indeed watching her.

"Show yourself, Monk." She commanded, turning around to watch him emerge from the cover of some nearby bushes. He smiled like a little boy caught sneaking sweets.

"Join me?" she asked, suddenly not caring if he saw her. She knew he wasn't going to try anything serious unless she consented. Alone in the forest, it didn't seem to matter if she relaxed a bit.

"But…" Miroku sounded surprised, and unsure.

"You see me right? It's only fair." She excused. Of course that was a dumb reason, but he seemed willing enough to accept it. Miroku climbed out of his robes and slid into the hot spring next to her.

"You really think it's ok?" Sango asked, trying not to blush at Miroku's naked form shimmering beneath the moonlit water.

He sank deeper into the water, leaving only his head exposed, leaning it on the rocky edge of the spring. His eyes searched the stars for an answer.

"It would be a tragic decision, if she were indeed capable of bearing the child." He said at last, keeping his eyes fixed on the night sky.

"But she did conceive. That alone is said to be no small feat. Why wouldn't she be able to bear the child too?"

"Inuyasha is strong, even as a half-demon. Have you noticed how our opponents mock him for his human blood, only to be astonished by his power?"

Sango nodded, "But that's because they don't anticipate his Tetsusaiga - right?"

"No. It is because almost no human is capable of bearing a child to a demon as powerful as Inuyasha's father. It is only slightly more likely that Kagome would be able to bear Inuyasha's children. Even if she did not end her pregnancy, the life inside of her is likely to extinguish of it's own accord. The demon blood in Inuyasha, passed on to his unborn child would likely be too much for it. Unless they conceived the child during one of Inuyasha's brief human times, the chances are slim. It is as likely as you and I creating a child." He kept his gaze upward.

"Miroku." Sango whispered, caught of guard. "You know? How?"

He turned to look at her, the faintest hint of a smile on his otherwise placid face. "I didn't say it was impossible."

Sango looked away, ashamed of her weakness. Miroku leaned in closer, kissing her blushing cheek.

"It's alright Sango, perhaps no one in our band is meant to continue like this. Buddha is merciful, and will give us the gifts we are meant to have. If Inuyasha and Kagome are not meant to have a child, they will have other joys. It is the same for you." He reached an arm around her, pulling her softness to him. "All of us have Shippo to raise together now. After that, worry over other children. For now, let's all be happy for our blessings."

Sango nodded tearily and returned the monk's embrace.