InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ 22 Weeks or 10 Months ❯ At Long Last ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
22 Weeks or 10 Months: At Long Last
Inuyasha Fanfiction
By Kittyonnails


Kagome winced at the dizziness as she got out of bed. She was pregnant again, had been for a few weeks. God, did she hate being pregnant. It would be different if she ever bore a child, but after her first pregnancy it seemed the life inside her simply came and went on its own accord. She was thirty-one years old and still, despite being pregnant for most of it, she was childless. It was a cruel fate that had made her love a man, a hanyou, whose seed she was not equip to carry.
Life certainly had been unique to Kagome. Born a child of the twentieth century, but the reincarnation of a feudal-era miko. That had led to such adventure in her youth. It seemed like their lives had slowed since then. It was some ten-odd years ago when their quest had com to an end. Kagome had made such close friends in the feudal age, not to mention fallen in love with a hanyou. That was why she stayed there.
Inuyasha had instantly caught Kagomes attention, and she had been held there ever since. It was no small feat, the many obstacles their love had endured. Numbering high on the list was their infertility. It seemed the demon blood in his veins refused to be diluted further. Cruelly, this did not prevent her from becoming pregnant. In fact, they had found, nothing could. No mater how many times she became pregnant though, she rarely made it past the first trimester. Only once had she carried to term. How devastating when their little boy was stillborn. If it werent for her ability to travel to her own time for medical care, she would have died from it long ago.
They were fated to be only two, by now they had begun to accept it. Kagome just wished she did not have to constantly suffer these fleeting pregnancies. She smiled down at Inuyasha as she snoozed on the futon. She was glad to have him. Even childless and mundane, their life together was something she would never give up.
Six months ago, Kagomes mother had taken ill. Four years before that she had lost her Grandfather. With Sota away at University, Kagome and Inuyasha had moved into her childhood home and time to take care of her mother. Kagome did miss the little hut they had shared for so long, but had to admit that her family home had its own set of comforts. Plumbing and electricity numbered highly among them.
She was glad to be able to care for her mother. The diagnosis was cancer and nothing short of a miracle would extend her life more than a few years, so the doctors said. It was quite a blow to Kagome, and having Inuyasha with her was the only thing that kept her going some days. If it werent for him her whole life would be so different.
It was something Kagome was reminded of often now that they were in her own time. She had abandoned school wholeheartedly at age seventeen. She was deep into their quest for the Shikon-no-Tama, and deeply in love with Inuyasha. That was when her plans to stay in the feudal era had begun. It seemed the longer she lived among her friends from the past, the more accustomed to it she became. By the time her quest ended, she only returned home every three months. Even then, it was just to visit her family. She never lost her taste for all products of her time, but her reliance on them all but vanished. Kaedae had taught her much about healing and other skills essential to a miko.
Had she remained in her own time, she would have attended University like her little brother. She would have chosen a career, gotten married, and had a child or two. She did have a career. Luckily for her, her family was responsible for a shrine and many sacred sites. Kagome most of all knew how powerful the landmarks on the grounds were. It was the prefect place for a Shinto priestess. Now that they were home, she was even pursuing her high school degree online.
They never did get married though. It would have been too much, and she had abandoned thoughts of it. There was no way to be married in her time, Inuyasha did not exist there, on paper anyway. In feudal Japan, it was not necessary. By the time their quest was over, Kagome and Inuyasha had endured more together than most married couples did in a lifetime. All the life-threatening battles, nights of passion, and long nights of worry made a wedding ceremony seem ridiculous. All their experiences had wedded them to each other like no ceremonial sake could ever do.
Kagome slipped out of the bedroom she and Inuyasha shared. It was time to make breakfast. Though he showed no sign, he was awake and would be on his way to her mothers bedroom. The cancer had begun in her moms breast, but gone undetected for far too long. There wasnt really much free of it by the time anyone found out what was going on. Kagome often wondered if she would have noticed her mothers illness earlier and convinced her to see the doctor, had she been home.
All they could do now was care for her weakening body. As on most mornings, Inuyasha would help her mother in the bath while Kagome prepared breakfast. Though it was her mother, it was most often Inuyasha who tended to her. For any number of reasons he never complained about it, and Kagome was left free to attend to her duties as priestess. Compared to the feudal era, her duties were few. That was fine, since the modern age brought its own set of challenges. For the first time, money was a concern for them. That was solely Kagomes responsibility. They were making it, the shrine would support them so long as they kept to a budget. Sotas tuition was difficult to afford though. Sometimes she did miss her other home.


Inuyasha stretched his arms lazily as Kagome left their bedroom. He sat up and pulled his yukata over his shoulders. He had noticed the curve of Kagomes belly. How long had it been? He wondered. Not that he bothered to track Kagomes pregnancies, but he couldnt help the glimmer of hope he felt whenever they advanced enough to show. By now he knew that he was just setting himself up for disappointment, but he couldnt help it. He would never be able to give up all hope. If his parents could have him, against all odds, they could have a child as well.
He slid the door open and smiled at Mrs. Higurashi. She was already awake, watching the shopping channel on her little TV. She beamed at him, as usual.
Good-morning, Inuyasha. she pointed at the TV, What do you think of that?
He wrinkled his nose at the mysterious object, What is it?
Makeup. Do you think it would help? She stretched the skin on her face, trying to smooth the wrinkles and gestured across the hollows under her eyes.
I dont know what it would do. He answered half-honestly. I think a bath would help though. He said cheerily, turning off the little TV. Mrs. Higurashi nodded in agreement.
And after that, breakfast. she added.

**********

Kagome was sweeping the stone steps that welcomed visitors to the shrine. It was a job she had neglected for some two weeks, much longer than she should have. It was autumn, and dry leaves were heaped up on every stair. Kagome was feeling a bit nostalgic as she worked, thinking of how her grandfather had lectured her about this task so often.
She almost jumped out of her skin at an unfamiliar sensation. It was a stirring within her. The doomed baby she was carrying had moved. Only once had she ever felt that. Her hands dropped the broom, clasping her swollen belly. This pregnancy had progressed unusually far, but there had been no signs like this from her body for many years. By the gods, the last time she had felt movement in her womb was ten years ago.
Should she tell Inuyasha? Kagome knew that he always watched her pregnancies with interest, no matter how many times her womb proved incapable of finishing what it began. Especially when it began to become obvious, he would become hopeful. It had been almost four years since she had been this far along. How far along was she? Kagome really had no idea. She wasnt in the habit of monitoring her pregnancies, since they never amounted to anything. It was merely a pain when they developed so far, because she would have to see her doctor about it.
She looked down at the bump of her stomach.
Dont lead me on. If youre not going to make it, just die right now. Its not fair to me or to him. She told the unborn child. Kagome wondered if this baby would take her advice. If she could command the life within her body, she would command it to live. That had proven to be beyond her power many times over. The movement, though unusual, was not enough to convince her to hope. She had hardened her heart to the many unborn children that had grown and then faded into oblivion inside her. I was more like an illness than a pregnancy to her now. That this one had caught enough of her attention to be spoken to was unusual.
She wouldnt tell Inuyasha. It woudnt amount to anything anyway. Even the ones that kicked her from inside eventually succumbed to the youkai blood in their veins and were silenced. Kagome didnt want to see the hope in her lovers face when she had given up that same hope.

**********

What was that? Inuyasha leaned over to peer at Kagomes stomach. It had continued to swell and she was as large as she had ever been. He was beginning to wonder if this one was going to be the one they had waited for. Kagome didnt talk about it, but he had seen the movements of the child within her. This time it was unmistakable. The sheet that covered her belly had literally jumped. He wanted to talk about it, and with such unmistakable evidence of life she would have to at least talk to him about it.
I guess its still alive. Kagome looked from her book to her bellybutton disinterestedly.
I know it is. I can hear its heart from here. Inuyasha looked at her seriously. Kagome put down her book and scanned his features delicately. He knew she preferred to ignore their children who would never be. It was her way of dealing with the pain. He understood that it was easier for her than grieving for each lost baby. It was a pattern they had settled into over the years.
It was different for him though, since he could sense the life inside her once it reached a certain level of maturity. Since the life was unmistakable to him, he had no choice but to acknowledge it, if only to himself. Forced to think about the child growing inside Kagome, Inuyasha found that hopefulness comforted him most. At least there was a chance, a possibility that the tiny heart would not stop beating.
Inuyasha. She said his name meaningfully, placing his hand on her stomach. Im afraid this is all we will ever have. Our children are fated never to be born, so simply enjoy the fleeting life this one does have. She said, watching him as he smoothed his large hands over her midsection.
Okay then. What shall we call this one? he asked.
No, no naming. Kagome said softly.
This time, I think we should. Its not every child who makes it so far.
Kagome nodded, seeming to acquiesce out of tiredness for this never-ending dialogue. Then give it a girls name
Inuyasha nodded. All their children had been boys, not counting the many who faded away before developing their gender. Perhaps, they had thought, a girl child would survive. Either that, or it was their sons who made it so far and the daughters who died before making their presence known.
Miki he said with a grin.

**********

The labor pains had caught Kagome unaware. It was really rare that she would actually birth her child, and even she felt a surge of hope as the pain ripped through her. Inuyasha had carried her to bed and was doing his best to accommodate her. She knew they were both hoping, beyond reason, that this baby would live.
I can still hear her heartbeat. He told her excitedly as he sponged the sweat from Kagomes brow. She nodded, trying to breathe in short bursts as another pain wracked her. They had been waiting out the pains for three hours, and still the baby had not come.
Kagome screamed as she felt her over-used womb contract. She pushed, forcing the child out of her body, alive or dead. She was praying for alive, and had been for the last two months. It was only in those last two months that she had allowed herself to think that their child might actually survive to be born. Every day, Inuyasha had assured her that the babys heart still beat inside her. Miki, too, had reassured her mother by pummeling her organs mercilessly.
Inuyasha Kagome hissed through the pain of her stretching genitals. If this one doesnt live, I cant bear it! she told him meaningfully, her pain amplifying her anticipated anguish.
Kagome, I can see her head. He stared between her legs with astonishment. Shes still hanging on.
Inuyasha moved to sit near Kagomes ankles and catch the baby as it emerged. His heart soared as he recognized two small pointed ears folded to the top of the small skull. The rest of the infants head emerged, scrunched up like an umeboshi. Kagome gasped for air and screamed loudly as the rest of the little body eased out of hers.
Once Kagome quieted, the babys own cries could be heard. It was like drinking cool water after accepting a fate of death by thirst. Kagome and Inuyasha both laughed loudly as he held their daughter up for her to see.
My little Miki. Kagome cooed, I never thought you would give me the chance to be your mother.
Tears were running down her face. Inuyasha was crying too, as he sponged the afterbirth off of the newborn. This was real. The baby had actually been born. After hoping for so long their wish had come true. They were parents.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------
Authors Note:
Ok, my beloved audience of readers. You have prodded me, asking questions, insisting that I cannot end it, not yet, not ever. I could, I should, but I have an idea. So I wont. This is going to be the end of 22weeks or 10 Months. It is not the end of the story though. I have a separate story I would like to tell that will use this one as background. Either way, this should give you all the happy ending I was so against. Id say you win, but I have more tragedy in store, so we shall see.
Thank you for reading, and please review.