InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ 30 AU Ban Jak kisses ❯ Cradle (kiss 22) ( Chapter 22 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Cradle (kiss 22)
 
By kira
 
Author's note: the following AU is based on Live Journal's 30 kisses, and takes place in my “Homecoming” universe. My couple incase you haven't already guessed is Ban/Jak.
 
Special thanks to Jen for all her help and great suggestions!
 
For Ranuel, who wanted to see Rin's baby shower…
 
FYI: A genkan is the entryway in a Japanese home. It's were you come in and take off your shoes and hang up your coat.
 
888
 
 
“Okay, everybody sssh while I go get the door!” Jakotsu hissed when the doorbell rang. All of their friends had assembled for Rin's surprise baby shower in the apartment he shared with his life-partner, Bankotsu. It was several minutes past eight at night, and everything was going according to plan. “I'm coming!” Jakotsu called out as he walked down into the apartment's genkan.
 
Two quick steps and he had the door open. “Come in, come in!” the cross-dresser said happily. “Hey, Ban honey, Sessh and Rin are here.” He helped Rin into house slippers, before taking their coats and hanging them up. “Come on in.” The cross-dresser led them up the two stairs into the hallway and from there it was a quick step into the living room.
 
“Surprise!!” everyone cried as they crowded around.
 
“It's official, Rin-chan, you're pregnant!” Jakotsu hugged her.
 
“I don't believe you!” Rin laughed in shocked delight. “Seriously, thank you so much…” she said, sniffling at the cross-dresser and his life partner, when they hugged her.
 
“Please don't cry, Rin, if you do, someone else is going to turn on the waterworks,” Bankotsu said.
 
Everyone looked at the cross-dresser.
 
“Your boyfriend pms-ing again, Ban?” Sessh quipped.
 
“Yeah…” Bankotsu chuckled.
 
“Hey! Emiko-chan is pregnant and I'm just getting into the spirit of things,” Jakotsu huffed in mock indignation.
 
“That's right! I remember crying all the time with my youngest,” Sango said.
 
“Don't listen to them, Jak darling, you look great. I wish I carried my kids as well as you,” Kagura said
 
“Yeah, so how'd you get out of all that weight gain? I think if I gain any more weight, I'm going to explode,” Rin said.
 
“And you skin is so clear! How'd you do it? I swear I had more pimples for those nine months than I did as a teenager,” Kagome added.
 
The girls laughed.
 
“Yeah? Well, if you're good I'll trade my secrets with you if you tell me all your stories. I really need this to work as the press hasn't been too kind. But first things first!” Jakotsu said excitedly. “We have a game to play. I'm going to get some string and then we're going to measure out how big you think Rin is!”
 
“Excuse me!” Rin cried.
 
“You heard me and whoever comes the closest is the winner. So everyone hold onto your string once I cut it.”
 
“I don't know if I want to play,” Rin said. “I feel big as a house as it is.” Not to mention that shrimp burger and chocolate shake I had for lunch isn't sitting too well in my stomach…
 
“Go along with it, Honey. Jak is trying hard,” her husband said softly.
 
“Okay…”
 
Kagome came over to them. “I'm sorry, Rin, but you know how carried away he gets with things.”
 
“Yeah.” She sighed softly.
 
“Oh and ummm…” Kagome bit back a laugh as she tied a paper plate to her sister-in-law's head.
 
“What's this for?”
 
“That's for all the ribbons and bows off your gifts. Every time someone hands you one give it to Sessh. And you, Sessh, hand it over to me so I can tape it to her hat.”
 
“Why am I beginning to regret this…?” Rin said as a wave of panic hit her.
 
“Rin honey, you're not supposed to regret it until you're trying to give birth to a watermelon,” Sango said. She handed her friend a gift. “Go ahead and open it.”
 
“A watermelon…?” Rin blinked. “Are you sure it's not too late to change my mind.” The new mommy-to-be sat down on the sofa and started to open her gift.
 
Kagome laughed and taped the bow to Rin's hat. “You should have thought of that nine months ago,” she quipped.
 
“Nine months? It's only been eight months, two weeks, three days and who's counting?” They laughed. “Awe… How sweet! Thank you, Sango,” Rin said as she showed off the layette. The box contained several pale yellow and green baby all-in-ones, and a couple of receiving blankets.
 
“I'm so glad you like it. They're in various sizes from newborn all the way up to one year, because every time you turn around they've outgrown something.”
 
“So I've heard.”
 
On the other side of the living room, Jakotsu was busy cutting string and, handing it out. Bankotsu was pleased he had calmed down some now that the party had started.
 
“Things better now that everyone's here?” Inuyasha asked quietly.
 
Bankotsu nodded. “Yeah. This whole pregnancy thing with Emiko is making him crazy but now that I know that, it's a lot better.”
 
“Good. Although, I have to say he's got the broody woman part down.”
 
“Broody woman?” Bankotsu said, quirking his eyebrow at his friend.
 
“Yeah, it's something my mom used to say a lot when we growing up. You know, `that cousin is getting broody now that that one's going to have a baby.' She used to say it about Kagome too.”
 
“Oh…” Bankotsu stroked his chin. “Although, in his case it's probably nerves about being able to successfully pull it off. It's been all over the press and now that the producers have decided to really go with it, he's been very hard on himself.”
 
“Yeah, well being a perfectionist'll do that to you.”
 
Bankotsu laughed. “Oh yeah!”
 
“You know, he looks pretty good without all the make-up on. What happen, the sight of your saggy boobs enough to make him forget he's a woman?”
 
Bankotsu rolled his eyes. “No… He decided he wasn't going to upstage Rin at her party. But if you wait long enough, he'll put on that frilly apron of his…” he sighed softly.
 
Inuyasha laughed. “Dude, you've got it bad.”
 
“Tell me about it,” he said as he watched the cross-dresser flitting around the living room, cleaning up some of the discarded plates, napkins and cups like the perfect hostess.
 
888
 
Kagome went into the kitchen and returned with a large paper bag. She explained to everyone there that they had to stick their hand in it, feel what was inside, and write down everything they thought it could be. The winner would be the one who had the most correct guesses. Everyone roared with laughter when Jakotsu won that game.
 
“Congrats, Rin,” Kagura said. She leaned in to kiss the younger woman's cheek. Her husband, Kouga who was standing behind her, also kissed Rin, before handing her a present. This time Sessh taped the bow and ribbons to her hat when she opened the gift. “Oh look, Honey, it's a quilt and bumper set for the crib! I love all the little bunnies on it!”
 
“Thanks!” she and her husband chorused.
 
“Time for the guess the mush game!” Jakotsu said as he breezed by. He paused and exclaimed, “Ooh, what a cute crib set!”
 
“Isn't it?” Rin gushed.
 
“Very,” the cross-dresser agreed. “Anyhow… it's time to start the next game. Ban honey, I need you to go around blindfolding all the guys after they have a seat. Then I need you to sit down as well and have one of the girls blindfold you, because all the guys are going to be guessing what flavor of baby food they're eating. Girls, just write it down, and after they eat all three, the winner will be the one who comes the closest to getting them all right. I also have a few jars of something different in case we need a tie-breaker.” The cross-dresser grinned.
 
Everyone was surprised when Naraku got them all right. “You know this beef stuff is one of the ingredients in making a White Castle burger at home.”
 
“A what?” Bankotsu asked.
 
“White Castle is a cheap fast-food place with these tiny lil burgers; I think you can get a ton of them for a couple of bucks. Thankfully, that's one chain that never made it over here. I remember my mother taking me there to eat when I was kid because McDonalds was too far,” Jakotsu said with a sigh.
 
“We used to go to Wendy's when I was little,” Rin said. “I wish I had a chocolate frosty.” She sighed.
 
“Hmmm… we've got chocolate ice cream in the fridge, Rin. I can make you one,” Bankotsu said.
 
“He makes the best chocolate shakes too,” the cross-dresser added.
 
“Okay…” she said. Rin winced and rubbed her belly.
 
“You okay?”
 
“Yeah… Sessh took me to McDonald's for lunch and it didn't sit well.” She waved her husband and the cross-dresser away. “I'll be fine.” Rin ignored her discomfort, even though she suddenly felt like she wanted to be home where no one but Sesshomaru would fuss over her. Just as quickly as the feeling came over her, it passed and she was able put a genuine smile on her face as she accepted the present and well wishes, Kikyou and Naraku gave her.
 
“Here, Rin,” Bankotsu said when he handed her the shake. “Enjoy, and uh… don't let Jak have any, cuz he's liable to finish it on you.”
 
She laughed. “Gotcha!” Rin sipped her shake. Her eyes went wide when Kagome and Inuyasha approached, pushing a stroller. Besides a few bows hanging off of it, it also had a couple of balloons tied to the handle. “You are so not putting those balloons on my hat!”
 
“Nah, those are for my brother,” Inuyasha said.
 
“Good…”
 
“Congrats, Sweetie,” Kagome said as she hugged her sister-in-law. “And don't worry; Jak said Ren has a truck and he'll bring everything over when you're ready.”
 
“That's good, because Sessh and I took the train over here.” Rin winced again.
 
“You okay?”
 
“Yeah… I think it's a combination of a bad lunch and those false labor pains,” Rin replied.
 
Kagome nodded and prayed she did not look as alarmed as she felt. She patted her sister-in-law on the arm, and after excusing herself, she helped Jakotsu clean up some of the little messes around the room.
 
888
 
When Rin came back from using the bathroom, much to her dismay, Jak had everyone line up with their string to measure her stomach. Sesshomaru easily won that game, claiming it was unfair for him to play, since he knew Rin better than anyone else.
 
The next hour passed in a blur of chocolate cake, another game, and people coming over to talk to her. By now, Rin wanted to go home, but politeness kept her there. She was also getting tired of listening to the girl's “war stories” about going into labor. Rin plastered a smile on her face when her hosts finally came over with a Hello Kitty plushie and a large box.
 
“Hello Kitty, Jak?” Sesshomaru said, taking the doll from the cross-dresser.
 
“Yup. It's because you're going to have a girl. I honestly can't see you making anything else, Sessh,” the cross-dresser said seriously. Looking down at Rin, he winked and she giggled.
 
“I just want to say, I wasn't with him when he went shopping,” Bankotsu added.
 
“Maybe you shouldn't open it, Rin,” Sesshomaru joked.
 
Tearing the wrapping paper, she quipped, “Too late now, Honey.” When she opened the box, Rin found an assortment of frilly little girl dresses. “They're beautiful…”
 
“And girly…” her husband added.
 
“Like I said before, I have the feeling it's going to be a girl.”
 
“There's a gift receipt in the box, Rin, just in case he's wrong,” Bankotsu added helpfully.
 
“You won't need it cuz I'm always right,” Jakotsu said smugly.
 
“Tell me about it,” Bankotsu deadpanned, much to their amusement.
 
“Hey!” The cross-dresser playfully hit him in the arm.
 
Bankotsu pulled him close and kissed him.
 
“Watch it! That's how we got into this situation,” Sesshomaru said as he took Rin's hand and kissed her fingers.
 
“Oh, I don't think we have anything to worry about there, Sessh. My Ban honey is very careful.”
 
They laughed.
 
Rin's laugh turned into a gasp. “I'm sorry; I know everyone went to a lot of trouble to make this party and all… But I really don't feel so good and I want to go home and lie down.”
 
“Okay.”
 
“Do you wart me to call Sui?”
 
“No, it's okay. Just call a cab.”
 
“Will do…” Bankotsu went do as she asked.
 
“I'm sorry, everyone,” Sesshomaru said, “Rin's not feeling well and she wants to go home. Thanks for a fun party.”
 
“Bye…”
 
888
 
It was around 4:30 in the morning when the phone rang, jarring the cross-dresser and his life partner out of a sound sleep. Bankotsu reached over him to grab the phone. “Hello…” he said sleepily. “Kusao speaking…”
 
“Who is it…?” Jakotsu yawned.
 
“Sorry to wake you, Ban, but Rin insisted I call you two first. Tell Jak he was right; we had a little girl.”
 
“Sessh. He said they had a girl-” Bankotsu said as Jakotsu grabbed the phone.
 
“Mommy and baby okay?” the cross-dresser said, sounding more awake than he was. “How big was the baby?”
 
“Both are doing good. Aiko-chan was just over three kilos and is about 48 centimeters long.”
 
“That's wonderful, Sessh! Congrats! Bye…” He hung up the phone.
 
“I knew it…” the cross-dresser said smugly.
 
“Oh hell, there's going to be no living with you now…” the younger man groaned.
 
Jakotsu kissed him.
 
“Still want a baby?”
 
“Nah, I think I'd rather have a kitten…”
 
“You and your damned cats…” Bankotsu teased. “Go to sleep.” He yawned and snuggled up next to the cross-dresser. “Why don't you borrow one of Sango's for a week to see if you like it…” he said, rubbing his hip at the not so fond memory of one of the many painful clashes he had suffered from Kirara.
 
“Yeah…” Jakotsu said airily and Bankotsu could hear the smile in his voice.
 
Oh crap… I forgot he likes Kirara as much as Sango does. That dammed cat is going to destroy everything it gets its paws on. Bankotsu tried not to sigh. Including me!
 
“'night, Ban honey.” The cross-dresser kissed the top of his life-partner's head.
 
“G'night…”