InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ 500 Years till Tomorrow ❯ Years to follow ( Chapter 9 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================



Chap ter 9 – Years to follow




Over the next several years, Inuyasha had very little contact with Sesshomaru, whatsoever. But there was an unspoken truce between the two, and on the few occasions they happened to pass each other by, they’d simply bowed to one another in silence, and kept on going. Rin, on the other hand, visited the village fairly often, though she still lived with Sesshomaru. But she was a grown woman, and realized she missed the company of fellow humans. Sango and Miroku were aging gracefully, with the help of Kagome, they mused, as they both remembered her lectures about antioxidants, and vitamins. They missed their friend dearly, but felt reassured in the knowledge that Inuyasha would again see her one day, and he’d be able to tell the tale of their lives to her. They had a total of five children, before Sango finally declared that’s enough. Ha. The first little ones weren’t so little any more, and Inuyasha volunteered to teach them how to fight, as Sango was getting too tired for such things, and Kohaku had since gone off on his own, a wandering doctor and demon slayer, on a mission to atone for his actions as a child.

Inuyasha’s village was a happy village, though tears were shed on the day of Kaede’s passing, which officially made the town “Inuyasha’s village” in her place. He laid her to rest in a grave right next to Kikyo’s, which she was returned to after she fell.

On one of Rin’s visits, she shared the news that Kagura had successfully bared Sesshomaru a son, which they named Marugu, and she went on to describe the young pup’s appearance. He of course had pointed ears, as do both of his parents, but he got his mother’s raven black hair, his father’s piercing yellow eyes, and though his cheeks were free from stripes, a crescent moon was visible on his forehead. Upon her many visits, Rin acquired an admirer in the village, and with Sesshomaru’s permission, Rin stayed, eventually marrying the man, and baring children of her own. Sesshomaru’s presence in the area grew when Rin took up residence, but it didn’t bother Inuyasha, as he and Shippo both knew it was because he was still protective of her, she being his adoptive daughter, after all. Once even, when the village was under threat by a large dragon-like demon, similar in type to the one who’d burn the forest those many years ago, Sesshomaru and Kagura came to the aid of Inuyasha and Shippo in fighting the youkai off. Even Sango and Miroku got in on the action, being older, but not too old to defend one’s home. Kirara had stayed behind when Kohaku left, and she also assisted greatly with the fire youkai. Being one herself, she was unharmed by its flames. Kagura used her new found ability to douse the fire to save the homes from burning, while Shippo put up a barrier with his fox fire to protect the villagers themselves. Sesshomaru fought along side Inuyasha, without one complaint from the hanyou, as together, they brought down that cursed dragon, with the help of Miroku, Sango, and Rin, who also got some licks in. It didn’t take nearly as long to bring this creature down, Sesshomaru thought, with the assistance of so many allies, and nobody was badly injured. It was then, he decided to himself, to officially aide in the protection of this village, now that it housed his Rin, and he stated as much. At first Inuyasha took it as Sesshomaru was attempting to take over his territory, but when Sesshomaru added, that he’d also expect in return, Inuyasha’s assistance whenever he may need it, he accepted. It was official now, no longer unspoken, Inuyasha and Sesshomaru were allies.

After a couple of generations, the village forgot that Inuyasha had ever been their enemy, and the tale of him being trapped to the Goshinboku tree by Kikyo became replaced with the tale of how he and Kagome restored the Shikon no Tama, and how she was then sealed away from them all through the well. A couple of bad winters, and the well being half filled with snow, inspired some of the villagers to construct a shelter around the sacred portal. Inuyasha smirked to himself, not realizing the well house was so old, though it will need to be rebuilt a few times throughout the centuries. Sango’s youngest son married Rin’s eldest daughter, and thus, they all became family, sharing the same grandchildren. Miroku often mused to himself about what a small world it truly was. Sesshomaru never came into the village for simple visits, but Inuyasha and Shippo sensed his presence often, and would inform Rin, so she could go into the woods to meet him. He was proud of what a strong woman she’d become throughout the years, and congratulated her on baring strong children and grandchildren as well. She’d passed down the fighting techniques that Sesshomaru had taught her, and often spoke of him to her children as a savior, telling them all the story of her early childhood.

Slowly, the word spread through the village of Sesshomaru’s good deeds, and they then forgot the time when he, too, was an enemy, not necessarily to that village, but to any and all “weak” humans. It became known that their village was on the outskirts of his land, and it was more specifically Inuyasha’s territory, as the two were brothers. The new elders of the village, who were not yet born during the time of Kagome, told a much different story than the one we once knew, of how the two Inu brothers of the west protect that village, and how a mystic priestess from the future came to save their world by assembling the shattered pieces of the sacred jewel, and slay the monster Naraku. Never mind that it was Kagome who shattered the jewel in the first place, or that it was Kagura who dealt the final blow against Naraku. Upon Miroku and Sango’s passing, Inuyasha constructed a shrine for the pair outside the village, and personified the tales of his friends himself, leaving out the part about Miroku being a lecherous womanizer.

The two became immortalized like fallen heros, though they’d both lived to ripe old ages.

A couple of centuries later, more advanced humans with more advanced weapons, had taken out most of the lesser demons that existed. Sesshomaru and Inuyasha knew better than to get in anyone’s way, and they pretty much did not interfere with the affairs of man, until the day, war waged upon their village. Cannon fire proved to be as destructive as the Wind Scar, and though the enemy was defeated, and most of the villager’s lives were saved, the village itself was beyond rebuilding. Instead, everyone moved further north, and built a new village, with which Inuyasha and Shippo assisted. When he realized the location of the new village was what would become the heart of Tokyo, he couldn’t help but chuckle to himself, slowly but surely, he was seeing it all unfold before his eyes. He erected a greater shrine around what was once his old village, and repaired damage that the well house took, then hired monks to tend to it, telling the tale of the Shikon no Tama, and how sacred that shrine was. Though Inuyasha was slowly removing himself from the human’s lives, he had stayed very close with the direct decedents of Sango, Miroku, and Rin, and made sure their families new of the history of that shrine. It only takes two generations, he grumped to Shippo, for the humans to forget. Just one generation not having seen it with their own eyes, that one generation who decides for themselves that their parents’ stories are only just that, and then they, in turn, do not share the stories with their children, and thus, in only two generations, humans forget the truth, about everything. But not all humans had forgotten, as he saw the shrine was still very much in the care of many monks and priestesses, as well as those who were direct descendants of his friends, whom held the stories closest to their hearts, believing, knowing, that their ancestors who were buried there, were the heroes they believed them to be.

Eventually, Inuyasha stopped being a recluse, as he’d long ago ceased living within the human village, and joined his brother Sesshomaru in their father’s castle. Shippo, who could transform himself to appear human, would occasionally mingle with the villagers, dropping hints here and there of times past, only to become hurt and discouraged, when he found most villagers were starting to doubt that demons ever existed, and the Shikon no Tama had become merely a legend. But with Shippo’s assistance, they made sure not everyone forgot, as he’d infiltrate the shrine caretakers, to find that they were all very dedicated in their duties, and still told the old stories, for the most part, fairly accurately. They did believe in demons, so Shippo thought it best not to reveal himself, for fear of being purified by the many sutras they possessed. Whenever he needed to perform repair work, Inuyasha would hide his ears under some design of hat, a trick he’d picked up long ago from Kagome. Kagome……the only thing that had kept Inuyasha from going mad, or using the jewel to become a full demon, was the hope, the knowledge, that he would see her again, one day.