InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ 500 Years till Tomorrow ❯ Telegraph, Telephone, Television, Tell a Hanyou ( Chapter 10 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================



Chap ter 10 – Telegraph, Telephone, Television, Tell a Hanyou


Slowly, but surely, the soil around them became paved with cement, and lamps that were once powered by oil and flame, became powered by something Inuyasha already understood to be called electricity. Experiencing all of the inventions first hand, and being allowed time to become accustomed to them, alone side the rest of the world, made the increasing technology much easier to bear. Sesshomaru seemed to be adapting to the times just as easily, if not more so. His desire for power alone being enough encouragement, to even accept the assistance of humans, when necessary, in order to comprehend something new about the world he did not yet fully understand. It was quickly becoming financial wealth that determined who had the most power, but with the assistance of Inuyasha, who was vaguely aware of things to come, as far as technological advances, the two were able to keep, and update, the castle, becoming into positions of power and wealth, or “business men” as the humans called them. Over the centuries, Sesshomaru’s increased youki energy had enabled his arm to finally grow back, as well as granted him the ability to fully disguise his demonic appearance. It was a glamour that would only fool humans, but there didn’t seem to be many other youkai around any more. Other than Kagura, their children, and Jaken, and a few other loyal servants who’d stayed in the castle, there was only his half-brother, and the small entourage he had with him, consisting of Shippo, Kirara, and Myouga. He was fairly certain that his father’s old servant only stuck around for protection, that flea was more useless than Jaken, Sesshomaru mused to himself. But other than the aforementioned group, which in one strange way or another, had become like one big clan, there were nearly no other youkai., save Koga and his wolves to the north. Where had everyone else gone? Every once in a while Hachi would make an appearance, and he informed them that most of the stronger youkai had fled to the continent, being able to disappear much easier over there, while most of the weaker, were extinct. Occasionally, they would detect the aura of another demon, but then it would fade after a day or two, like someone just passing by.

Reluctantly, Inuyasha finally agreed to change his wardrobe, after he seemed to be the last person left in Japan to still wear a kimono, except for performers. He had to, of course, keep Tetsusaiga by his side, so he opted for the long cloak look, which eventually became the long coat look. Shippo would be forced to stop teasing him, he mused, once TV was invented, and that “Highlander” show came on. He’d watched a couple of what Kagome called “reruns” thinking that he might like it, and she was right. Though he usually found that noisy picture box completely pointless, he did like that show, even though the main character was Scottish, at least he had a proper sword.

Sesshomaru wore whatever the richest most powerful humans were wearing during any time period, always more a symbol of strength with him than a comfort issue. Becoming fairly successful, the castle had become more of a mansion, through several reconstructions, keeping it, too, with the times. He would not be a relic.

“Did everyone flee to fucking China?” Inuyasha bellowed, staring out the window at the human city below him.

“Such language.” Smirked Kagura, as she entered the den, daughter in tow.

She and Sesshomaru had their second child, whom they named Nakishi, around the turn of the 20th century, and she was still a child.

“Keh.”

“Apology accepted.”

“Keh.”

“I see your vocabulary hasn’t increased.” Chimed the now adult Marugu, as he entered the room.

“Mother, they’ve announced on the radio that a world war wages over the globe.”

“Again?” sighing, Kagura recalled the annoyance of the fairly recent first world war.

“Humans are stupid, aren’t they mama?” asked Nakishi, to which, before Kagura could answer, Inuyasha stepped in, proclaiming

“Not all humans…..”

Kagura smiled.

Shippo began to notice Inuyasha acting rather nervously, what was bothering him about this human war? Something he couldn’t put his finger on, but remembered Kagome mentioning something, he was sure it was called “World War II”, that might prove dangerous. When Sesshomaru nonchalantly mentioned over dinner that he’d heard “We.....” (meaning the Japanese humans, as opposed to other humans, humans were everywhere now) “….have bombed America.”

“Why’d we do that?” asked Nakishi.

“He means the humans dear, not us.” Explained her mother.

“Wait, did you just say we bombed America?”

“Yes.”

“It wasn’t a place called, pearl, something, was it?” He at least recalled that much, after observing the pearl around his neck.

“Yes, Pearl Harbor. It was only a dock at an island, not the main lands, I wouldn’t worry brother.”

“You’re wrong, we’ve just…” damn, what did she say? He mumbled to himself “Oh yeah, we awoke a sleeping giant, or something like that. We’d better get outta dodge.”

“Are you suggesting we abandon the castle due to a petty human’s battle?”

“Humans ain’t so petty no more, and I hate to break it to ya Sesshomaru, but father’s castle doesn’t stand in Kagome’s time.”

“What?” asked Marugu “If they destroyed it the first time, then….then we need to stay! We need to protect it!”

“We can’t protect it, and we can’t interfere with the timeline.”

Sesshomaru was impressed by Inuyasha’s sudden display of intelligence, but opted not to make a joke on the subject, at the moment. They decided to temporarily relocate to China, as had so many others before them. In Kagura’s early explorations upon her newly gained freedom, she’d come across a band of moth youkai whom she befriended, and was sure, provided they were still there, would provide them shelter throughout the remainder of the war.

Inuyasha did feel bad about abandoning Sango and Miroku’s descendants, whom he’d had Shippo continue to check in on from time to time. But he felt reassured by two things. One, he knew the shrine would survive the war, that much was obvious, but two, recently, through marriage, the family name at the shrine had become Higurashi, which made Inuyasha gleam with astonishment, when he realized, that meant Kagome was a direct descendent of Sango, Miroku, and Rin. He’d have to tell her.

Inuyasha didn’t trust the moths, he’d had a bad experience with Chinese moth demons before, but, Kagura assured him they were a different clan. True enough, though he still didn’t feel at home, living in a land that had more languages than hairstyles, he mused. After he learned Mandarin, he found a youkai run dojo, and to pass the time, decided to learn Kung-Fu, after all, the age of claws and fangs was pretty much over.

In the end, it was a good experience. Inuyasha had learned a new skill. Surely, Kagura had jested, learning to fight without killing would certainly help keep him out of jail. That earned a smirk from Sesshomaru, who, over the centuries, had finally learned to show at least a little emotion. He was satisfied with the time spent on the mainland, having acquired several knew financial prospects. Shippo had learned to do a very good impersonation of a lion-dog. It was cute to watch him freak out the children in the parades, a true fox demon till the end, ha.

When they returned to Japan after much of the aftermath had been repaired, they found their mansion had sustained a great amount of damage, and decided, since they still owned the land, to make better use of it, building a luxurious hotel, in which they all lived, of course. Sesshomaru and Inuyasha quickly got their financial assists in order. As part of the “human” world, they adopted a family name, since demons have none, choosing a fairly generic one, they went with Takumi. Sesshomaru also shorted his name to Maru, for business purposes, and since it was getting weirder and weirder to be named “Dog Demon” Inuyasha shortened his name to Yash, as well. Shippo still went by Shippo, but like the others, had the last name Takumi.

They gained wealth quickly as the 20th century progressed. A few names stuck out in his mind when they first came into existence, names like “Sony” and “Suzuki”, to mention a couple. He knew, he remembered, that those companies were huge, very powerful, and so, they all got in on the ground floor.

Though Sesshomaru had become civil to his hanyou of a half-brother early on, in part due to persuasion from his mate Kagura, and in part, due to genuine sympathy for Inuyasha having lost his own mate, a pain he would now comprehend after finally having one of his own, he gained a greater respect for Inuyasha during and throughout the 20th century, in which there was an incredible surge of financial power and status among the humans, to which, Sesshomaru and Inuyasha greatly took part in. Once the stock market was invented, they played it like pros, and it was all Inuyasha calling the shots, at least at first, until Sesshomaru got the hang of things as a business man. Inuyasha never did fully comprehend the true nature of the stock market, the gambling, the wagering, the risks, because to him, it was like shouting out the answers to a trivia show rerun you have recorded on tape. But even so, he proved himself invaluable. They owned massive amounts of just about everything big and important. Disney, McDonald’s, AOL, Mircrosoft, Coca-Cola, you name it, anything that would have stood out as a brand name in Kagome’s home for Inuyasha to remember, and they owned stock in it. He even dropped Koga a few hints from time to time, when he saw he and Ayame in town, finally dressed in “modern” clothes, after staying wild with the wolves for as long as they possibly could.

Every once in a blue moon, a youkai would show up, drawn by the Shikon no Tama, and whenever a battle was necessary, Tetsusaiga was still ready and willing. But he tried to keep the fighting down to a minimal, especially after Sesshomaru once had to cover that some destruction to a street was due to a gas line explosion. It was the first time in a long time, his older brother berated him as he used to, in a way, it felt like old times; being insulted for being hot headed and destructive, rather than simply a poorer businessman.

Inuyasha didn’t have the power to mask his appearance, and stayed behind the scenes for most of the business deals, having Shippo handle it for him, but he did often walk the streets of Tokyo, especially once he began to recognize familiar scents to the humans living and tending to the Higurashi shrine. He had accumulated so many things he needed to tell Kagome, he’d actually begun to write them down in a list, which he eventually transferred to his palm pilot. Besides Kagome being a direct descendent to Miroku and Sango (and Rin), turns out, that that Hojo ancestor by the name Kagome was another one of their grandchildren, named in her honor, which shot down that family tree, so that annoying boy Hojo was actually a greatly removed cousin of Kagome’s! Far enough apart that it wouldn’t make a difference, close enough together, to make Inuyasha laugh. Sesshomaru, albeit out of character for the ‘bastard’, had actually complemented Inuyasha once, (only once) on his ability to stay focused on waiting for his mate, instead of abandoning her due to the separation. He did it, by always keeping her in his mind, always. Besides making note of things to tell her, he also had been continually buying her presents. Some of which, hadn’t faired as well as he’d hoped, through the passage of time. Like the now vintage kimono she’d never be able to wear, or the ancient long bow, that would likely snap if you drew it. But, he did have a wonderful present he knew she’d love, though took him nearly 450 years to buy it. Back in the ‘60s, he picked her up “Francie” doll (Barbie’s cousin), which he kept mint in the box. He’d seen the old beat up thing in her room once, she told him it had been her mother’s, originally, and went on about how she just loved her ‘hippie’ clothing. But the thing had a broken leg, and an unfortunate run-in with a very young Sota, left it with a military hair cut.

While Inuyasha was fairly well-off, owning part of their hotel, as well as tons of profitable stocks and bonds, it was nothing compared to Sesshomaru.

Maru Takumi was quite the powerful businessman, taking care of his affairs personally, most often, as his disguise was flawless. He owned several hotels, not just the one they all lived in, as well as several Toyota franchises in America. He was CEO of a local major fast food chain, as well as an airline, and also had a ridiculous nest egg in cyber space along side his younger brother. He often donated to charities, not that he truly cared one way or the other, but it was a status symbol, and a way to become known. The Takumi name became known to the Higurashi shrine as well, as one of their foremost supporters, although, it was Yash Takumi, not Maru Takumi. When they feared foreclosure, he bought out their mortgage from the bank, and donated the land back to them. When Shippo informed him, that the young boy who would be Kagome’s grandfather, was being taught sutras incorrectly by his father, he asked if he should intervene, disguised of course, and show them the correct scriptures.

“No, don’t!”

“Why not?”

“Cause, his sutras have to not work, otherwise, I’d have never been able to follow Kagome….”

“Oh. Hey, she’s just two more generations away!”

“Keh, yeah……” as a bright smile creased up his lips.

He hid from his son the sadness he also felt. After having seen so many generations of humans come and go, he realized, Kagome’s life with him, would be just as fleeting, and then, she’d be gone again, never to return. It stung him so. Either, either he would find a way to increase her life as well, so they could be immortal together, or, when she died, he’d follow her to the other side. This quest became his obsession as he waited for the final decades to drift by.