InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ 500 Years till Tomorrow ❯ So close, yet so far. ( Chapter 11 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================



Chap ter 11 – So close, yet so far.



Once she had been born, it wasn’t hard for him to sniff her out, wherever she went, and he often followed her around town, inconspicuously, watching her play in the school yard as a small child, watching her, as the small child she was, slowly grew up. Time seemed to slow down for Inuyasha once Kagome was born, he’d learned not to pay too much attention to the lives of humans, to spare himself the heartache, and every so often when he’d peak in on the humans at the shrine, or have Shippo do it, he paid no mind to the fact that they were older, or the older ones were, perhaps, dead now. Once she was born, he focused on her everyday. Shippo too, as he’d often transform himself into a child again, and play with her at the park, changing himself appropriately as she grew, to always appear around her age. Inuyasha could never get too close, unable to conseal his demonic appearance, but using the old fashioned method of a hat, and sometimes sunglasses, he’d watch her from afar. He rejoiced the day Sota was born, cried the day their father died, and even chuckled the day they got Buyo
as a kitten from out front the grocery store. That cat was thin once!

On her 15th birthday, he saw her get pulled down the well by Mistress Centipede, and he knew, knew he would no longer be able to see her now. Not until after the well was destroyed, not until after the events came back full circle. She’d be able to sense his youki, she’d be able to sense the jewel, his past self would smell him. No, he couldn’t see her now. Why, why after waiting nearly 5 whole centuries, would it now be so difficult to wait 3 years? Having played witness to her life for the last 15, he’d found all new reasons to love her, he’d discovered all new things he’d need to tell her, and he realized, those last 3 years would be the longest.

“Why are you sad papa?” Hoping the familiar reference would get a smile to rise from his adoptive father’s face.

“Keh, no reason kid, just gonna hate these 3 years is all.”

“Why can’t you go see her still? Just stay hidden…..”

“Too risky.”

“Inuyasha…..?” He raised a brow to look in Shippo’s eyes, eyes that brimmed with tears... “Can I still go see her? I can mask my appearance, and I don’t have the jewel, and I-”

He was cut off, his answer obviously going to be yes, as Inuyasha hugged the adult kitsune, and whispered in his ear “I want to hear everything.”

Shippo was relieved. He wasn’t sure if he’d be able to make it those 3 years without seeing his mother’s face, now that he’d been so freshly reminded of what it looked like. It was weird, now that he was centuries older than her, and she was in truth a child, Shippo still thought of Kagome as his mother, and always would, he supposed.

He decided not to directly interact with Kagome, since Inuyasha relayed that he couldn’t recall ever detected Shippo’s scent, or sensing any demonic aura for that matter, except for the few rare times, like with the mask, and the dried demons that attacked the school, he’d chuckled at the memory.

Shippo stayed in the shadows, usually disguising himself as a statue, or an animal, and would follow her around town. A few times, while out on business errands, he’d have the driver go by the shrine, and he’d step out of the car, and watch her for a moment, in his human form. He was sure she’d spotted him a few times, but knew she couldn’t sense his youki, so it didn’t worry him. To her, he was only some weird man that was watching her, and he would appear to be looking more at the shrine itself whenever he caught her gaze, so she would think he was perhaps some historian, he hoped.

Shippo witnessed things he wondered if Inuyasha even remembered took place, certain he wouldn’t have wanted him to know about that side of himself, about how he’d sit outside her window, and watch her sleep, when he’d come back to apologize, but chicken out at the last moment. There was at least one occasion, he’d actually gone into her room, and then came back out again, it was during the first arguments over Koga, he surmised. On several occasions, he could hear them arguing, and on several more occasions, he could hear Kagome cry herself to sleep when Inuyasha was not there. Reluctant at first, he kept his word, relaying everything that went by from day to day. Inuyasha had changed much in the half-millennium, and was not now ashamed of his feelings, but was, perhaps, ashamed of how much of a jerk he used to be. He wanted to see her, he knew, knew he couldn’t hold her, dry her tears, or tell her that it would all have a happy ending, but just to see her, just to look at her face. But he knew it was far too risky, should she sense the jewel. They toyed with the idea of Shippo filming her with a camcorder, but decided against it, afraid that would make him seem too much like a stalker, should he get caught. So instead, Inuyasha kept his distance, and Shippo, he tried to pretend he was just a bystander, just another patron at the McDonald’s, who wouldn’t dare interrupt her conversation with her friends about her “jealous boyfriend”, just a ground’s inspector at her school, who wouldn’t dream of telling Hojo to get lost, just another tourist at the shrine gift shop, who couldn’t possibly correct the old man on everything he had gotten so wrong. Ha! At least, his spirits were beginning to pick up, as he realized it was nearing her 18th birthday, when he’d heard her discussing the party with her friends. He couldn’t remember exactly how long after her birthday the incident took place, early a month, but not an exact number of days. So, after he watched her leave with Inuyasha down the well for the last time, he made it top priority to keep a close watch on that well, every day.