InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Antagonists Unite ❯ Chapter Twenty Two ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Antagonists UniteBy: DarkCrystalis
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of the characters in my story, unless they’re originals. However, if my readers and reviewers are nice, I just might share them if they ask nicely –wink–
XxXx
Chapter Twenty Two
Note: It’s been a long time since I last updated, and I don’t have the patience to re-read my whole story, so I settled for reading just the last chapter. I hope that everything makes sense (I mean, obviously I didn’t forget the major events), but some of the minor details may get a little muddled without my knowing it. If that happens, please feel free to let me know!
“Rin, are you okay?” Sesshoumaru asked, his face creased in concern.
“Yeah, I think I just blacked out for a second,” she responded, her eyes blinking to take in her surroundings again. The classy music was still in the background, along with the dim lighting. Yep, she was still at the fancy restaurant with Sesshoumaru, and yep, she most definitely fainted right in front of him.
Her face darkened to a pretty pink in seconds.
“Oh man, I can’t believe I fainted, in a place like this no less! Ahhh, did anyone see?” she worried her bottom lip as she looked around, her face slowly having gone from a light pink to a more red tone.
“No, just me,” he said as he squeezed her hand under the table. “Are you sure you’re okay enough to eat?”
Rin smiled brightly as the blush faded from her cheeks. “I’m starving,” she confided to him before she giggled.
“Good, because I am too!” After a second, he turned to the automated ordering service and looked at the menu. “Would you like to get an appetizer?” Sesshoumaru asked as he eyed the list.
Rin looked at the automated device beside her and began reading it herself. “Wow, they have a lot of tasty looking food. Shrimp in garlic butter and other sauces, garlic bread oven-toasted with expensive cheeses...” she paused for breath. The appetizer menu was large, but it came together beautifully. This was most certainly an upper-scale dining experience, as Sesshoumaru had promised–there were foods on the menu that she couldn’t even pronounce! Luckily, the automated menu had the option of viewing what each food item looked like, so if you couldn’t read it or were more of a photographic person, you could easily view pictures of each dish.
“Why don’t we get some drinks first?” Sesshoumaru offered as he opened the drink menu on the ordering machine.
“I wonder if they have orange juice,” Rin asked aloud as she browsed through the drinks. “I don’t see it on the menu,” she said once she’d viewed everything. With a small smile, she went to order a soda, but Sesshoumaru stopped her and told her to keep quiet for a minute as he flagged down the owner.
“Edward, good to see you,” he said as he extended his hand. “My girlfriend and I would like some orange juice–have you got some in the back?” he asked as he rested his free arm over Rin’s shoulders.
“Only the finest, not-from-concentrate of course,” Edward added with a smile. “Is it not on the menu? I recall your telling me about this issue last time and I promised to have it revised. That damn Cody didn’t bother to program it in; I guess I’ll have to fire him.” Edward took the cell phone out of his pocket and called someone, presumably Cody, and told him to enter ‘orange jus’ into the menu.
Before Edward could fire him, Sesshoumaru gestured toward the phone, a sign that he wanted to speak to Cody. The owner obliged with a smile and passed it over.
“If you don’t do as your boss says, he’s going to fire you,” Sesshomaru said in a stoic tone. “I’m the one stopping him from doing that today, so you’d better stay on your toes when you’re working,” he finished and abruptly hung up. “Sorry about that,” Sesshoumaru added with a small grin toward Edward. “Today shouldn’t be his day to get fired over two glasses of juice.”
Edward nodded and bowed slightly before running off to the kitchen.
“Wow,” Rin said as she tried not to look shocked.
“You see, in the restaurant business, people are easily replacable. For every idiot an owner has, there are a good two or three others very willing to take their place, all of them also highly qualified. The only issue with some restaurants is that training them can be a bitch. With establishments like these, the owners and managers sometimes don’t have time to train them, especially when they’re open as long as Pinocchio’s is. Did you know that this restaurant only closes for six hours each night? That’s how long everyone has to purchase all the fresh food, clean up and get ready for the next day.”
For some reason, when Sesshoumaru spoke, Rin felt as though he were a wealth of knowledge. However, a worse idea engulfed her–was he too good for the likes of her, practically a peasant with hardly a penny to her name? Before she could dwell on it further, a new face returned to their table with two glasses of premium orange juice. “Thank you very much for securing my position here at Pinocchio’s,” Cody said as his face reddened. “I know that I can be replaced, but I truly love my job.” He scurried away after bowing, but as to where neither of them knew.
“He seemed so humble, I feel terrible for having put him through that,” Rin said as her eyes watered.
“Listen to me,” Sesshoumaru said as he gently grabbed her face. “People are responsible for where they go in life. Only each person can watch out for themselves; if he does his job well, he won’t get fired. No one should feel sorry but for him but himself for making a mistake.” It seemed as though he were speaking from a personal experience, and she couldn’t help but ask.
“Are you talking about yourself, Sesshoumaru?” Rin’s eyes tentatively met his, and she almost regretted asking when she saw how his eyes darkened.
“When others look in from the outside at the Taishou’s life, they probably see spoiled kids who got their futures handed to them that don’t have to work for their luxuries. The thing is though, they don’t know anything. They don’t know that I started working for my father when I was little, that I photocopied his papers, typed letters and spent long hours learning about the business. I hardly had a life as a kid, and the free time that I did have was spent by myself. When you don’t have time to be social, making friends isn’t easy.” His eyes reflected a bittersweet childhood, one that was full of work and difficulty. Where was the balance of work and play in his prior years? It seemed he hadn’t gotten the chance to experience it.
“The cars I have now, all the electronics and furnishing I own are things I bought with my hard-earned money. My father started paying me for working for him when I was young. He knew that he was a hard-ass, but also knew that I worked hard and deserved something for it. The money I got I saved by throwing it into a bank account and letting it sit for a while. When I got my license though, I went and splurged on everything I wanted. I still do that now, living comfortably as I work for my dad and go to school.” He smiled then, his eyes seemingly lighting up as he drank the juice. “This is tasty, you should try some!”
Rin felt as though she’d went into a trance as he’d spoke; never once did he share his stressful past to her. “Sesshoumaru, I don’t know what to say...” she replied as she sipped the juice.
“Tell me it’s the best fucking juice you’ve ever had!” Sesshoumaru said with a wink and a tiny smile.
“I didn’t mean that!” Rin answered as she punched his shoulder lightly. “I didn’t know your past was so rough. I guess I’m just as guilty as everyone else.”
Sesshoumaru hugged her as tears welled up in her eyes. “It’s okay–at least you know the truth now, so please don’t cry.”
As she sniffled, Sesshoumaru’s tummy growled loudly. “I think we’d better order some food, or my stomach is going to kill us both.”
“I agree!” Rin said as she giggled and wiped her eyes. “As a side note, I have to say, the juice is really good,” she mumbled as her face blushed. Sesshoumaru noticed both of their empty glasses and immediately got them refills.
XxXx
“Holy cow, I don’t think I’ve ever been so stuffed in my entire life. That food was amazing!” Rin said as she patted her tummy happily. The medium-rare steak, although a little cliché, was to die for. “It’s all your fault, you know,” Rin grumbled jokingly as he held her hand. “I had my heart set on the parmesan chicken and cheese sauce noodles, but when you showed me the picture of the steak I just couldn’t say no!”
Sesshoumaru grinned evilly. “Hey, I was just letting you know what else was on the menu!”
“You’re the worst! To top that, you had to show me the dessert menu too! A New York style cheesecake, hell, any kind of cheesecake, is hard for me to resist. Now I’m going to be a million pounds heavier!” She scowled as she felt her stomach and hated how it felt full against her hand. “That’s it, I’m going on a diet!” she said as she laughed, then regretted it as the overwhelming feeling of fullness hit her. “I definitely ate waaaay too much,” she added with a frown.
“Hey, better to be too full than running on empty,” Sesshoumaru said as he opened the passenger side door for her. “Trust me, when you’re studying for exams at home without food in the fridge, it blows.”
Rin rolled her eyes. “You could have easily ordered something, you goofball!” she said as she laughed.
“Who delivers food at three in the morning?” Sesshoumaru asked aloud and grinned before Rin could become worried. “I’m just teasing; I could have easily bothered a cook to make something, but I was just lazy.”
As he slid into the driver’s seat, he turned on the car and the engine roared. “Where to now?” he asked as he started driving.
“Oh shit,” Rin said abruptly as she smacked her forehead. “I forgot to do laundry and I’m practically out of clothes!” she sighed helplessly as she entwined her fingers nervously. “I’ve got to go back to your place so I can wash some clothes!”
Instead of heading back to his home, Sesshoumaru had a better idea–the mall.
XxXx
Author’s Note
Angel: Oh my god, it has been SO LONG since I last posted a chapter. Not really going to provide excuses, since readers and reviewers hate them anyway. I don’t even know if any of my original fans are still around, but one can hope.
Jonathan is too busy with work and other important things to read my stories anymore, so I’m on my own! Independence is supposed to be sexy now-a-days, anyway!
How is everybody? How has your summer been thus far? Feel free to tell me about them if you leave me a review!
Anyway, I hope everyone is okay, or even BETTER than okay, and is hanging on through school/work/a shitty summer (like me!) or whatever else they’ve got going on in their lives. I hate my university courses but somehow I’m still passing one of them (the other one I’ll have to drop, eeek...).
Take care and see you later! Thank you once again for all of your encouraging words!
Sincerely,Angel/Emma