InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bad Influences ❯ Bad Influece # Ninteen: Getting Jealous ( Chapter 19 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

IMPORTANT AUTHOR'S NOTE! PLEASE READ! Unfortunately, I can't promise when the next chapter will be out, I know you're waiting for that one, but my schedule is a bit hectic right now. Believe me I'm working on the next chap and will update it as soon as I am able.
 
…Also, I'm surprised no one reviewed about what Inuyasha said he hoped Sesshoumaru would lose. My friends died of laughter when they first read it…well, my girlfriends anyway…
 
 
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha, nor did I have the genius to come up with him like that of Romiko Takahashi.
 
Warning: Bad Language and sexual content.
 
 
Bad Influence # Nineteen: Getting Jealous
 
 
 
“Well, well. So our family delinquent has finally come home. And I was hoping for another month of peace and quiet.”
 
What he wouldn't give to bash his brother's head in. “Shut the fuck up, Sesshoumaru.” Inuyasha hissed as he walked by him with every intention of locking himself in his room.
 
“I see you still have quite the potty mouth.” Sesshoumaru mocked from the bottom of the stairs.
 
Inuyasha paused on a step, grinding his teeth. He whirled around and yelled, “I can curse as much as I fucking want, you asshole!” He thundered up the stairs without another word and slammed his bedroom door closed.
 
Despite having his door closed, he could still hear his brother walk about downstairs, talking with the man whom Inuyasha did not plan of seeing for the next few days, the source of his irritation. “So good to have your youngest son home.” Sesshoumaru did nothing to mask his sarcasm.
 
“He is your brother. I'm surprised that you have yet to learn some humility.” Inuyasha pressed his teeth together more. That was his father's voice, and he found the idea of him and Sesshoumaru getting along almost as ludicrous as an un-perverted Miroku. The old man didn't know him at all. And why's that? Inuyasha thought with a growl.
 
Half brother.” Sesshoumaru stressed the first word as though it stung his tongue to say it. No surprise there, Inuyasha hissed.
 
His father didn't reply. Inuyasha almost thought the conversation was over when his father spoke again. “I wonder what made him change him mind.”
 
“Not that it matters. You would have gone and dragged the whelp back here even if he did refuse.” Sesshoumaru huffed.
 
His father was quiet again. Inuyasha heard the faint noise of a phone ringing before his father answered.
 
“Hello? Yes I'll be there.” There was a click. “I'm going out for a while.” See you in a few days, Inuyasha thought scathingly. “Be nice to your brother.” Fat chance!
 
He walked into his room and kicked the trashcan by his desk. It landed a little ways off from his bed. Inuyasha huffed, hearing his father pull out of the driveway with his shiny car. With a sigh, he collapsed on his bed. How he hated being back home.
 
A knock was heard on the door. Thinking that it was his brother, Inuyasha gave a rather un-polite remark and was shocked when something hit his head. Sitting up, he noticed the crumpled paper that had hit him on the floor. He gave a small “oops” as his family doctor stood by his door, the knob in her hand.
 
“I take it you're not happy to be here in the slightest?” Kaede asked she walked into the room.
 
“No way in hell. I hate this house.” Inuyasha whined, lying down on his back. “Why are you here, Kaede? Any injuries since I was last here? Did my father break a bone? I shouldn't get my hopes up.” He said, staring at the ceiling.
 
Kaede came and sat down at the edge of his bed. “No one has had any accidents.” She said.
 
“Damn. I was hoping Sesshoumaru would lose a testicle.”
 
“Watch your mouth.” Kaede scolded, pinching his shoulder. Inuyasha gave a petulant “ow,” sitting up.
 
“Actually,” Kaede began, “I came because I heard you returned. How are you feeling?”
 
“Like I'm in a prison.” Inuyasha grouched.
 
“No, I mean since your venture into the hospital?” She asked.
 
Inuyasha tried to hide his shudder. “I've had a tough time sleeping this past week.”
 
“That explains the bags under your eyes. Still have the nightmares?”
 
“Yeah.” Inuyasha scratched his head morosely.
 
Kaede rose and walked toward the door. “Get some rest. I'll be here tomorrow if you need anything.”
 
Inuyasha watched her walk out of his room. He sighed and striped down, pulling his bed covers. At least someone was happy to have him home, he thought as he pulled his blanket over his head.
 
 
Inuyasha jolted awake by the sound of his phone ringing. He lazily threw his hand over to his bedside table to pick it up. Sitting, he noticed the boxes in his room, which were most likely filled with his clothes. The old man wasted no time getting me moved back in, he thought as he flipped his phone open.
 
“Yeah?”
 
“Get your lazy ass out of bed!” Inuyasha grit his teeth at the volume of his voice.
 
“Satoshi, what the fuck is your problem waking me up this early.” He ground out.
 
“Dude, it's noon. And don't you realize what day it is?”
 
“Enlighten me.” Inuyasha rubbed his eyes.
 
“You can't tell you forgot who's coming today!” Satoshi sounded outraged and shocked.
 
“What the hell are you talking about?”
 
“Think Inuyasha. Who said she'd be coming for a visit?”
 
Inuyasha's jaw dropped. He bolted from the bed, throwing his nightclothes off. “Why the hell didn't you call me? Shit!”
 
“Oh and I haven't been trying for the last two days to get a hold of you. I'm guessing that your back at your old man's place since Kaede picked up your phone. You slept through the last two days!”
 
“Well I had a tough time sleeping during finals! Fuck!” Inuyasha cursed as he fell over his own feet.
 
“Get your ass here in thirty minutes!” Satoshi yelled and then the line went out. Cursing, Inuyasha rummaged through his drawer and rushed into the shower.
 
()()()()()()()
 
“You seem out of it today? Are you sure that you don't want to stay home and rest? It is summer. We're supposed to sleep until noon and watch cartoons all day.” Sango teased her as they walked through the shops.
 
Kagome could see through her cheerful attitude. She was still worried about her. Kagome couldn't blame her, especially since she had been in a rather solemn mood for the last two days, but for Sango, she would put on her best happy face and try to have fun. She only had two weeks before summer prep classes began and she wasn't going to spend it mourning over her father.
 
“I'm fine, really.” It wasn't until they had gone through two more stores and gotten a milk shake that Kagome managed to get Sango to believe that she was fine, or at least make it seem so.
 
As they walked down the street, drinking their smoothies, Kagome spotted a familiar figure walking out of the flower shop by the corner they had just passed. Smiling, she waved to Satoshi and he gave a surprised smile as they walked toward them.
 
“Nice to see you again Kagome.” He smiled, shaking her hand. Kagome grinned, echoing his greeting.
 
“And you must be Sango.” Satoshi said, shaking her hand. She looked bewildered. “You know me?” She said.
 
“Miroku has neglected telling you about me. I'm hurt.” Satoshi rolled his eyes. Kagome suppressed a giggle.
 
She explained about Satoshi's ties to Inuyasha, and Sango quickly caught on that the three of them were friends. “I hope you're keeping the old pervert in line.” Satoshi laughed.
 
“Oh, I plan to.” Sango joined his amusement.
 
“Who are the flowers for?” Kagome asked, noticing the bouquet of lilies he was carrying.
 
“A friend of mine is returning from London for two weeks. I'm supposed to meet her in the airport soon. Hopefully I'll see Inuyasha there too.” He made a face that gave Kagome the impression Inuyasha was going to be late.
 
Speaking of Inuyasha, Kagome hadn't seen him in two days, not since he drove her home. She wouldn't mind getting a chance to speak with him. He had curtly told that he was moving back in with his father. Kagome wondered that if this meant he would be transferring out of their school as well. It'd be nice to know before the new semester started. For a brief moment she thought how boring school would be without him around, but then scolded herself for thinking it.
 
“Well I need to get on the train.” Satoshi said suddenly, looking at his watch. “I'll catch you ladies later.”
 
Kagome and Sango waved him goodbye as he walked across the street and into the station.
 
()()()()()()()
 
Inuyasha heaved when he finally arrived at the right terminal. He managed to find Satoshi and Miroku in the crowd. By the time he had gotten to them, he was leaning on his knees, huffing and puffing.
 
“You're late.” Satoshi chastised.
 
Inuyasha glared at him. “Shut up! First of all, she's not even here yet! And second, my car was out of gas! I had to take the train! I hate the train!”
 
“Grumpy aren't we?” Miroku rolled his eyes.
 
“Shut up dick for brains.” Inuyasha coughed.
 
“I'll take that as a complement.” Miroku shrugged before returning his gaze to where the passengers appeared.
 
Inuyasha finished gasping and tried standing straight, although he still took tiny gulps of air. He looked over to Satoshi and suddenly threw his hands in the air. “Flowers! Damn! I forgot!” He rubbed his temples. His friends ignored him; all their attention was focused on the passengers coming up, luggage in hand. A full ten minutes passed and Inuyasha could feel his heart playing a drum solo.
 
“Where is she?” Miroku said impatiently.
 
Neither Inuyasha nor Satoshi replied, spotting a short girl pick up her bags and walk out. “Maki!” They yelled in unison. The three of them rushed across the room, surprising the girl out of her wits, but she smiled when she recognized them, waving till they reached her.
 
Satoshi gave her a bear hug. Maki patted him on the back, her face flushed. “Still in your clothes I see? No gambling?” She grinned.
 
Satoshi squinted. “I missed you too.” He huffed.
 
Maki stuck out her tongue apologetically. “Nice to see you. I missed you.”
 
“Hey, what about me?” Inuyasha spread his arms, waiting. Smiling, Maki gave him a soft hug. “You too, you big dumb-ass.”
 
Inuyasha let her go, patting her on the head. Miroku stood with his arms open. Maki grabbed his hand, shaking it. “What, not hug for me?” He said, frowning.
 
Maki stepped away, eyeing him suspiciously. “No. I still don't trust those hands of yours.”
 
Inuyasha made a serious face. “She has a sound argument.” He said in a low, dramatic voice.

“I'm terribly hurt.” Miroku rolled his eyes.
 
Maki, Satoshi and Inuyasha laughed. Suddenly Maki found a bouquet of lilies thrust under her nose. “Their beautiful!” She laughed, taking them from Satoshi. “Thanks. But money would have been better.” She joked. Inuyasha pulled his wallet from his back pocket suddenly. “Cash or credit?” He grinned.
 
Maki gave a loud, hearty chuckle. “I was kidding, but if your willing to part with some cash I'd gladly take it off your hands.” She teased.
 
“You haven't changed a bit!” Satoshi said, clapping her on the back. Arm and arm, the four of them walked out of the terminal, Inuyasha and Satoshi helping carry Maki's luggage.
 
“So, any plans?” Miroku asked.
 
“I just got here.” Maki clicked her teeth as they walked out into the sun. “Before we do anything, I'd like to visit my grandparents. I promised.”
 
“How's the jet lag?” Inuyasha asked.
 
“Terrible.” Maki yawned.
 
“So, do you want to hit the beach?” Miroku asked.
 
“What's the rush? I'm here for two weeks.” Maki paused, looking at Miroku. “Okay old pervert, unless you want me to sabotage your relationship, you better do as I say.”
 
()()()()()()()
 
“Sango, I'm kind of regretting this.” Kagome said as she walked out into the beach. She pulled her green shall, which would normally go around her waist if she weren't wearing shorts, closer around her shoulders. She hadn't been to a beach in years, school and track having gotten in the way. Sango's insistence that she do something fun before her summer prep classes had been the only thing that brought her here. It seemed like a better idea in the house when the men on the beach weren't eyeing her like a piece of meat.
 
“Kagome, you really need to get out more often. If you keep this up, you won't have a life outside of work.” Sango rolled her eyes, pausing the middle of the sand, looking around.
 
“Where is he?” Sango scoffed.
 
“Where did he say we were supposed to meet anyway?” Kagome asked her.
 
“That pervert. Figures he'd be late.” Sango said to herself before addressing Kagome. “He said to wait by the lifeguards' shack.” Kagome looked behind then and sure enough there was a white, wooden shack sitting a few yards away; men and women in red, lifeguard bathing suits came and went through it.
 
“Kagome, you stay here. I'm going to go look around.” Before Kagome could order Sango to wait a moment, she had already hurried across the beach and out of hearing distance.
 
Sighing, Kagome spread out her shawl on the sand, exposing the top half of her black, white, and green one-piece, swimsuit as she sat on it. Surprisingly, after three years of inattention, it still fit. Kagome thought that it would be withered and dusty when she pulled it out of her closet that morning. It still looked new, the black and white floral designs unstained as they decorated lines along the sides.
 
“Hey there. You lost?” Kagome squinted, looking up. The guy's shadow over her made it hard for her eyes to adjust as she got to her feet. When she could see clearly, he noticed that his eyes scanned her from head to toe. Getting annoyed, Kagome clicked her teeth saying, “My face is up here and no, I'm not lost.”
 
The guy grinned, looking her in the eye. “Well do you mind company?” He asked.
 
“No thank you.” Kagome was about to sit back down when he grabbed her arm. “Aw, don't be like that.”
 
Her irritation growing, Kagome pulled her hand away. “Get lost.” She hissed.
 
The guy was persistent. “What's the matter-” He was cut short. Another girl tapped in the shoulder. Her turned to her, narrowing his eyes.
 
“Is this guy bothering you?” She asked.
 
Blinking, Kagome nodded, her eyes laden with aggravation.
 
The girl crossed her arms. “All right you asshole. You can leave, or I can call the lifeguard. Your choice.”
 
Wrinkling his nose, he walked off, muttering under his breath. Smiling, Kagome turned to thank the girl. She was shorter then Kagome by a few inches, lean, curvy, yet athletic. She wore a pink bikini top and pink shorts. Her black hair was cut short, falling just past her jaw. Brown eyes stared back at Kagome.
 
“Thanks.” Kagome smiled.
 
“You're very welcome.” She answered. “Are you here alone?”
 
“My friend went off to find her boyfriend and told me to wait here but with all these perverts walking around, I'd feel better if she hadn't left.” Kagome scowled.
 
“I see what you mean.” The girl shook her head. “I'm supposed to meet my friends here too, but I can't find them anywhere.”
 
Smiling weakly, Kagome offered to look for their friends together. The girl agreed and it wasn't long before they covered a quarter of the beach without a single sight of Sango or Miroku. “We aren't getting anywhere.” Kagome sighed. At this point, they'd be lucky if they found the ice-cream stand let alone their friends.
 
The girl ignored her, looking about when a voice called and her eyes pinned to the left. “Hey, Maki!” Kagome squinted at the voice, recognizing it, but hardly believing it was the person she was thinking of. Why would he be here?
 
A guy came closer, holding onto a long pink surfboard. Maki waved and ran up to him. Kagome's jaw dropped as she came closer, but she quickly disguised her surprise when Maki spoke again. “Thanks Inuyasha. My grandparents would have a coronary if they knew I kept this.” Maki said, taking the board from him.
 
“No problem.” Inuyasha smiled at her. Kagome narrowed her eyes.
 
“Where's Satoshi?” Maki asked as she set her surfboard into the sand.
 
“Said he went to get watermelons…and to find Miroku. I bet he's really distracted.” Inuyasha gave her a smug face.
 
Maki laughed. Kagome cleared her throat, over her shock of seeing Inuyasha at the beach and tired of being ignored. Maki turned and grinned. “Of right. Inuyasha, this is…um, I forgot to ask you your name.” Maki made an apologetic face but Inuyasha stared wide-eyed at Kagome.
 
“How did you two meet?” He asked, pointing from Maki to Kagome.
 
“What are you doing here?” Kagome said in amazement.
 
Maki looked from Inuyasha to Kagome. “You two know each other?”
 
“Sango invited you.” Inuyasha said. “I should've guessed. What did you really tell Miroku?” He asked Maki.
 
Maki shrugged. “Are you going to tell me what's going on or do I have to beat it out of you?” She joked.
 
Scratching his head Inuyasha introduced Kagome. Maki beamed at her. “Nice to meet you.” She said jubilantly as she shook Kagome's hand. “Finally. I've heard a lot about you.” Maki smiled.
 
“You're the girl from London?” Kagome realized. Maki nodded. “I'd planned to meet Miorku's girlfriend today. I guess it was a plus that she invited you.”
 
“Speaking of which, where is that pervert.” Inuyasha covered his eyes to shield them from the sun, looking about.
 
“Looking for sunbathers?” Maki giggled. Kagome smiled, imagining Miroku walk about, looking for a girl lying on her belly. She suddenly felt guilty for leaving her spot. What if Miroku or Sango went looking for her?
 
“Maybe we should go back to the lifeguards' shack. They might be waiting there.” Kagome offered. Nodding, Maki picked up her board and Inuyasha followed them.
 
“So,” Kagome began as they walked, “What's London like?”
 
“It's a nice place. It rains often, and the city is a bit big. I got lost a lot of times.” Maki explained.
 
“Why did you go study there?” Kagome asked.
 
“I wanted to surround myself with another language. Since going, I dropped a lot of my accent. Too bad I don't have Inuyasha's memory. You should see how fast he picks up languages.”
 
“Too bad my brain is not for sale.” Inuyasha joked. Kagome remembered how he had told off their foreign language teacher while speaking perfect English.
 
“So you're bilingual.” She noted. Inuyasha nodded. “Took me two years.” He said.
 
“Rub it in why don't you!” Maki barked, rolling her eyes and laughing. Kagome joined her. She reminded her of Satoshi and how easy it was to communicate with him.
 
“Does it bother you that I rub it in?” Inuyasha asked.
 
“Obviously.” Maki looked at Inuyasha over her shoulder, giving him an “are you stupid” look.
“Good, I'll put it in my `what annoys Maki' file.”
 
Maki ignored him as the shack appeared in the distance. As they got closer, Maki suddenly huffed and said, “Well what do you know.” Satoshi, Miroku and Sango gave them tired looks as they approached.
 
“Why didn't you wait for me Kagome?” Sango feigned a hurt tone. In fact, she sounded more annoyed.
 
It took a moment for Maki and Sango to get acquainted and before they knew it, Kagome, Satoshi, Inuyasha, Maki, Sango, and Miroku had spent half the day at the beach already. Maki and Inuyasha alternated with taking her surfboard out into the waves. Sango whacked Miroku a few times when she caught his wandering eye follow a girl across the beach. Satoshi and Inuyasha wrestled over the last piece of watermelon while Maki and Kagome ate it just to upset them. Maki challenged Kagome to a race, upon hearing that she ran track, and lost terribly.
 
“You are so fast. Are you going to the Olympics?” Maki asked Kagome between pants. Without even breaking a sweat Kagome smiled and answered.
 
“I don't think I'm fast enough to go as far as the Olympics.”
 
“Bullshit Kagome.” Inuyasha huffed. He'd been in charge of the finish line and caught Maki when she almost collapsed from running. Kagome had wrinkled her nose when he did, but quickly smiled when Maki was upright again. “If you can beat me in a race, you can beat anyone.”
 
Maki stared at Kagome incredulously. “YOU beat him?” She pointed to Inuyasha. Kagome nodded, remembering Satoshi had a similar reaction. Maki looked at Inuyasha with narrowed eyes. “And you let her?” Inuyasha clicked his teeth. “No, she beat me fair and square.”
 
“That must have been a blow to your ego.” Maki chuckled. Inuyasha's face puffed up with annoyance and he teasingly chased Maki around, threatening to throw her into the waves if she kept taunting him. Kagome would have laughed if a sudden urge to hit Inuyasha in the face hadn't reared its ugly head, but when Maki avoided being caught by him and he gave up, Kagome felt better.
 
“I can prove that I can beat you any day!” Kagome rolled her eyes, watching Maki and Inuyasha argue. She'd had been making fun of him for being beaten by a girl and was now encouraging him to a battle.
 
“Your on. Volleyball?” Maki grinned.
 
“Loser has to streak across the beach!” Satoshi called from their spot nearby.
 
“I have no problem with that!” Miroku grinned suggestively from his spot next to Sango.
 
Sango and Kagome turned red. “You two are the worst!” Kagome cried.
 
“No way in hell!” Sango hissed, standing.
 
“I'm agreeing with them on this one.” Three pairs of wide eyes turned to Inuyasha. “What?” Maki spluttered, trying not to laugh.
 
“I don't want to run naked if I lose. And I don't like the idea of you three doing it either.” Inuyasha glared at Satoshi who shrugged sheepishly.
 
“ You're not…gay are you?” Miroku asked and gave a fake shudder. Satoshi burst into laughter and suddenly Inuyasha was standing over the two of them, cracking his knuckles. “Do you want one broken bone or two?” He asked. Before the fight could break out, Maki shoed Sango and Kagome out of the way as Miroku and Inuyasha started exchanging insults and punches.
 
“Boys.” Maki harrumphed. Sango and Kagome agreed. As the two squabbled like four year olds, while Satoshi cheered his friends to pound each other's faces in (and got into the fight himself), Maki, Kagome and Sango huddled to devise a better prize for the winner.
 
“Knock it off!” Maki shouted in a booming, commanding voice. The three boys stopped their shouting and hitting and concentrated on her.
 
“You've got to teach me to do that.” Kagome said in Maki's ear.
 
“Okay, we've made our stakes. If you lose, we bury you three up to your necks in sand.” Maki grinned.
 
As if their fight never happened, Satoshi, Inuyasha and Miroku huddled together. Then they turned. “If we win, you three have to flash a lifeguard.”
 
Immediately the three girls protested, but the boys crossed their arms and accused them of being chicken. With their faces red, the girls grudgingly agreed. “I hope you three brought an extra pair of shorts because the ones your wearing right now will filled with soggy sand.” Maki hissed when they had taken their sides on the volleyball field.
 
“We'll see.” Inuyasha crossed his arms in challenge. He set the timer on his cell phone. “Two halves of the game. Each half is twenty minutes. Whoever has the most points at the end wins.” He said. Maki came close to the net and shook hands with Satoshi who was the boy's team leader.
 
“Let's give them hell, ladies.” Maki boasted. As a “winner's gesture” the girls were given first serve. Sango hit the ball with all her might but it was saved when Satoshi made a dive and Inuyasha hit while it was still in the air. Kagome was too late to reach to volley ball, but she scored a point when she served next.
 
The timer went out at the end of the first round, and the girls were behind by three points. Huffing from the effort, Kagome, Sango and Maki ignored the three boys as they boomed and made “flashing” gestures. “We still have half another game to play you jackasses! Don't think you've won yet.” Maki, Sango and Kagome huddled for a moment and then began the next round.
 
Inuyasha had scored a few points when he spiced the ball, but by then girls had changed tactics, placing Sango at the receiving end of his hits. Since she was used to strong blows, she deflected the ball with ease. When Satoshi gave a strong serve, it was Kagome's chance to get to the ball with her fast feet. If Miroku saved the ball in the last second and hurled it over the net, Maki skidded on the sand to catch it. Before they knew it, there was only a minute left in the game and both teams were tied.
 
Maki gave the ball a fatal serve but Satoshi fell on his stomach and saved it, Miroku somehow managed to keep it in the air. With time almost out, the girls were ready to celebrate but then Inuyasha spiked the ball the very last second and Sango was too late to save it. It fell into the sand and two seconds later, the timer went out.
 
Kagome, Sango and Maki felt their skin crawl. The boys stood behind the net with their arms crossed and smug smiles on their faces. “You agreed. Find a lifeguard.” Miroku said through his gloating grin.
 
Instinctively, Kagome crossed her arms across her chest. “Damn it.” Maki cursed.
 
“I shouldn't have agreed to this.” Sango bit her lip, glaring daggers at Miroku as though she knew this was all his idea.
 
Kagome looked back at Inuyasha apprehensively. “Any lifeguard?” She asked. He nodded. Suddenly an idea crossed Kagome's mind. She walked over to Maki and Sango, pulling them across the beach as the boys lagged behind. “Pretend to look upset.” Kagome advised. Maki and Sango sent her curious looks.
 
They reached the lifeguard shack and Kagome turned to the boys. “Wait here.” She demanded.
 
“Oh no, you're not getting off like that. We're going with you.” Miroku chided.
 
Sango crossed her arms. “We'll be out in a second!” She snarled with such force that the three boys cringed. They went into the shack and a few moments later came out with a lifeguard, but not the one that Inuyasha, Miroku or Satoshi expected.
 
“What the hell?” Inuyasha frowned.
 
“This is Takiko.” Maki introduced the girl. She waved, a look of mischief on her face. “She's agreed to take us to the restroom for a small soak in the showers there.”
 
“What a minute! This wasn't part of the-” Satoshi began.
 
“The deal was that we flash a lifeguard.” Maki began.
 
“But, you didn't specify that the lifeguard had to be a boy.” Sango continued.
 
“Or where we had to flash them.” Kagome finished.
 
“Aw shit.”
 
The four girls laughed as they walked toward the bathrooms.
 
()()()()()()()
 
“I should've known you would find a loophole.” Inuyasha chuckled later when the sun was beginning to set. The six of them huddled around the fire eating.
 
“The look on Miroku's face was precious.” Maki laughed. Miroku gave them no attention.
 
“How does it feel to have your plan foiled?” Sango poked him with her elbow. Miroku gave her an innocent look. “Do I really look like I could come with something so devious?” Sango gave him a playful shove.
 
“It was your idea.” Satoshi reminded him.
 
“Too bad it didn't work.” Inuyasha laughed.
 
“Inuyasha.” Kagome and Maki admonished.
 
He shrugged. “I knew we'd either be beaten or one of you three would find a way out of it. I wasn't worried.” He got up, excusing himself, and walked off.
 
Kagome frowned, leaning in to whisper in Maki's ear. “Has he always been like that?”
 
Maki blinked. “What do you mean?”
 
“Indifferent. Was he always so uninterested?” Kagome explained.
 
Maki laughed. “You should see my scrapbook.” She looked over to where Inuyasha leaned on his knees, a cigarette between his fingers. “He's come a long way, but Inuyasha wouldn't be Inuyasha without his `whatever' attitude.”
 
Kagome peeked at him and then leaned toward Maki. “I'd love to see that scrapbook.”
 
Maki winked at her, “You'll love it!”
 
“Are you two talking about me over there?” Inuyasha called, breathing out a puff of smoke.
 
“I'm planning to sabotage your reputation by showing her your bad side with all those candid pictured I took of you.” Maki called. Inuyasha dropped his cigarette, stepping on it, before he came closer.
 
“You're not planning anything evil are you?” He asked Maki, suspicion coating his voice.
 
“Not at all.” Maki smiled sweetly.
 
“That's it!” Inuyasha grabbed her wrist and hulled her to her feet. “You going into the water.”
 
Maki began pulling back. “Are you crazy! It's cold!” She protested, but Inuyasha being as stubborn as he is pulled her all the way to the edge of the water. Kagome felt her cheeks burn. Taking a deep breath she said, “They sure are close.”
 
“Inuyasha and Maki?” Miroku lifted his head from the book he'd been paging through and looked at Kagome through the fire. Kagome nodded.
 
“Of course they are. Maki was his first friend.” He said.
 
“Really?” Kagome asked. She felt something warm spring to life in her stomach.
 
“Yeah. They met when he started middle school.” He explained. Kagome turned to see Maki and Inuyasha were walking back, talking and laughing. Maki was dry so Kagome guessed that she persuaded him not to throw her in the ocean. The warmth in her belly became hotter. Kagome almost thought she was nauseous.
 
“They really are close. I guess they became better friends after they dated.” Kagome felt her face and stomach suddenly burn. She abruptly stood up, alarming the others, and stomped off.
 
“Kagome?” Maki called her in a worried tone when she passed by her. As she and Inuyasha neared the fire, Inuyasha growled at Miroku. “Did you say something to her?”
 
Miroku, who was already being harassed by an angry Sango, couldn't tell him anything. Exhaling out of exasperation, Inuyasha walked off after Kagome.
 
()()()()()()()
 
Kagome walked far enough till their fire became a small spec in the distance. She starred out into the sun as it began to set. Sighing, Kagome sat down, smoothing out her shorts and pulling her shawl over shoulders. She watched the sea for a little while.
 
Why had she stomped off like that? Why was she so angry all of a sudden? What did she care if Maki and Inuyasha dated in the past? What did she care if they were close? They were friends. Who was she to get angry if they acted as friends do? What if they didn't act as friends? A snide voice in her mind asked. What if they still care about each other like boyfriend and girlfriend? Kagome balled her hands into fists, forcing those moody thoughts out of her mind.
 
“Can I join you?” Kagome cringed and looked up to see Inuyasha was standing next to her.
 
“It's a free country.” Her remark came out harsher then she'd planned.
 
Inuyasha settled in the sand next to her. Kagome glanced at him from the corner of her eye. His white T-shirt ruffled in the breeze and he sat with his legs crossed.
 
“Did Miroku say something to you?” He asked, staring ahead. “Because if he did, I'd be happy to punch him for you.” He smiled wryly. “Although Sango has already beaten me to it.”
 
Kagome shook her head. “No. Miroku didn't say anything too bad.”
 
“So why did you rush off?” Inuyasha asked. “Everyone's worried you know? Are you seasick? Or did you catch a cold?” He placed his hand on her forehead. Kagome shied away from his hand.
 
“I'm not sick.” She snapped.
 
“You sure look like it.” Inuyasha retorted.
 
Kagome looked back forward. He copied her. After a short pause, Kagome said, “Maki's really nice.”
 
Inuyasha blinked at her. “Yeah she is. Did you know this whole day was her setup?” He said.
 
“Really?”
 
“Yeah. She wanted to meet you and Sango, but she didn't want it to be a `passerby' meeting.” Inuyasha made quotes with his hands.
 
“She must be really clever.” Kagome sighed.
 
“She is.”
 
“Do you like her?”
 
Inuyasha gave Kagome a wary face. “Of course. She's my best friend.”
 
“Was that why you two dated?” Kagome covered her mouth as soon as she had said it. She turned beat red, hoping Inuyasha hadn't heard her. She tried not to meet his stare but failed. Inuyasha looked at her as though she had lost her mind; Kagome felt like she had.
 
“Oh my god.” Inuyasha covered his mouth, laughing.
 
“Shut up.” Kagome huffed, hiding her face in her hands.
 
“That's what you were worried about?” He chuckled and then looked out into the waves with a nostalgic smile on his face. “We did date, four years ago, but it only lasted a month. We felt like we were better off as friends. Maki didn't feel like we were boyfriend and girlfriend material. Neither did I. Besides, Maki likes Satoshi.” A worried expression crossed his face. “Don't tell her I said that though. She'll kill me.”
 
Kagome let out a breath of relief, giggling at his last comment. Inuyasha nudged her shoulder with his. “Were you jealous?” He asked in a low voice. A very satisfied grin plastered across his face.
 
Kagome closed her eyes tight and was glad that it was too dark to see her blush; the sun had just set. “No, I wasn't.” She denied.
 
Inuyasha laughed. “Yes you were.” Then he stopped laughing and let out a sigh. The sudden change from playful to frustration made Kagome nervous. “What's the matter?” She asked.
 
“I'm getting tired of this.” He growled.
 
“What are you talking about?” Kagome asked. Inuyasha looked at her with an intense expression that made her stomach churn apprehensively.
 
“Are you into me or not?”