InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Changing Lives ❯ His Best Goodnight Kiss ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
They’d never stared at one another like this before, and somehow during his change it made it special. He waited until he felt all his hanyou features return - his senses, claws, fangs, ears and coloring - and then he kissed her again.

And again, she kissed him back. To him it meant that she accepted all of him, not one side or the other. His hanyou side had a bit more physical control, calming his own heart and steadying his breath. His sense of smell picked up her scent and breathed it in. When they drew back again he slyly licked his bottom lip, getting a taste of her that left him wanting.

And Kagome had the good grace to blush.

AE Thirty Seven

To say that things had gotten easier would be a lie. To say that things made more sense would be true. To say that Inuyasha was actually looking forward to each day was true. To say that inuyasha was dreading a possible confrontation between himself and Kikyo was more than true, it was almost a terrifying prediction. How did one tell the woman who died for him that he no longer loved her?

These dark thoughts, however, were always banished whenever Kagome kissed him, or held his hand, or smiled at him, or looked at him. . . or when she was within his scent. It seemed that nothing else mattered but her: her eyes, the way her hair floated in the wind, her amazingly alluring scent, her tender mouth that tasted good when they kissed, and then opened wide as she yelled because he’d done something to make her angry.

He realized almost the moment after they exited the cave that all the times he’d been difficult and made her angry, he’d done it unconsciously but most certainly on purpose. In all truth, she really was beautiful when she was angry.

Her eyes would always flash dangerously, a warning to back down or she’d knock you down; her cheeks often flushed in her anger, adding to her beauty; and she stood up tall in their arguments, narrowed her eyes and told him exactly what she thought about him, often in so many words.

The best part was always afterwards, when they managed to get a moment to themselves, when he’d kiss her and that fast he would be forgiven. It was somewhat cruel, making her angry at him and then reproving his feelings so continuously, but she seemed to be enjoying it as much as he was.

Just now was one of those times.

“How could you say that Shippou’s just a brat!” Kagome was yelling.

“Well, he is!” Inuyasha argued. “You spoil him rotten, he knows it, and he flaunts it!”

“Well I think I’ve been spoiling you rotten!”

“Since when!”

“Since we met you egotistical, arrogant jerk!”

“Well if I’m an egotistical, arrogant jerk and you spoil me what’s that say about you?”

Kagome gasped, her cheeks reddened and her eyes darkened. The look she gave him was pure fire and he had moved an inch, he would have burst into flames.

Her voice as well had lowered, and she spoke carefully, in dull tones. “Maybe I’ll write a story about it.”

Don’t laugh! he told himself, fiercely. Don’t laugh or she’ll boil you alive! He laughed. Ah, well, I’ll survive.

“And what is so funny?” she was saying, and everyone else shrank back at her tone.

He would have answered her, had he not been laughing so hard. He shook his head and waved his hands in an attempt to beg for a few moments to compose himself.

Kagome crossed her arms and started tapping her foot. It a few moments but he finally regained control and rubbed his sore cheek.

“What’s funny,” he said, “is that you probably should write a story about it. Remember what brought us this far?” he teased.

Her eyes widened and her jaw clenched, her cheeks turning bright scarlet. Inuyasha knew exactly why, too: she hadn’t told anyone else about her story, and they probably wouldn’t understand it all without understanding her time, either.

“Drop. . . .the subject,” she said, faintly.

He grinned. “As you wish.”

The sound she made was something like a whine-slash-whimper, and she turned away sharply, stalking away.

He followed her.

Kagome didn’t seem to notice his following her until she stopped, when the camp was well out of her eyesight and earshot. She leaned against a tree and huffed, crossing her arms.

“Far enough away yet?” he asked.

She jumped on the second word and faced him. “Inuyasha!” she whined. She leaned to the side and looked past him, them talked in hush tones. “You shouldn’t have brought that up.”

“What’s the fun in knowing something nobody else does if you can’t let them know that you know?” he asked.

He’d talked too fast. Kagome’s face took on a slight look of confusion and after a moment she shook her head. “I don’t want them knowing about that,” she stated.

“Oh, you’re still embarrassed about it.”

“To put it bluntly, yes.”

“Well when am I not blunt?”

“Good point.”

Inuyasha stepped up closer to her and leaned down to kiss her. She tasted good, alright, and he thanked his tongue for getting his father’s bloodline. After drawing back a ways he said, “Am I forgiven yet?”

She sighed. “For almost letting that slip, you’re going to have to do a bit more than kiss me before you’re forgiven.”

He shrugged. “Okay.” He kissed her again, but took this one a step further, giving her a moment to get used to the kiss and then nipping at her lip until she opened her mouth.

He could have fainted from how dizzy he got. Kagome gasped when their tongues touched for the first time, and then he heard her moan. The kiss seemed to drag on forever like this, but when he started feeling his desire for her grow too strong he drew back, effectively ending it.

Both he and Kagome were breathing harshly and a little fast. They stared at one another for a long moment before he said, “Am I forgiven now?”

Her face entirely changed. She grinned and began laughing, and closed her eyes as she leaned forward to hug him. She giggled for a long moment and then said, “Yes, you’re forgiven.”

Leaning back, she added, “Sit.”

Well, dammit! He was hoping that she wouldn’t use that anymore.

“That’s just a warning, Inuyasha,” she said, kneeling down. She patted his head and idly rubbed his ears.

“Don’t worry, you’ll pay,” he said into the ground.

She laughed again. “I’m sure.”

So, she wasn’t taking him seriously, was she? The spell wore off in that instant and he moved as fast as he could, getting his hands under him and then pouncing on her. Kagome shrieked on the way down and then she was pinned under him.

Smirking, he said, “Sit me now.”

Heaven above, she was red. Probably entirely because of the fact that his legs were inside hers. Had they been naked. . .well, she certainly wouldn’t be blushing out of embarrassment.

Her scent had definitely increased in lust, but she was doing an excellent job of keeping it from her face. However, she was keeping her mouth shut, which she generally only did when she knew that he knew something.

The sight of her lying there like that, with her cheeks so red and her hair fanned out beneath her, she definitely looked ravishing. He had no control over his own body for a moment, and kissed her as passionately as they had minutes ago.

She wasn’t stopping him.

Her scent and her taste were drugs to his senses, just as the knowledge that she wanted him was a drug to his mind. His hands gripped her hips in an attempt to keep a reign on himself and Kagome gasped. A second later her arms had linked around his neck – she was holding him there.

Had he the control to say anything, he’d be telling her to stop him right about now. He wasn’t about to regain enough control to stop himself. What was going to happen next between them was entirely in her own hands.

And she was still kissing him.

~*~ Sango ~*~

What happened between her and Miroku last week wasn’t something she considered bad of any means, but it was still something she was going to keep to herself. In all truth he hadn’t really done anything monumental; he’d simply taken her hand, touched her cheek, smiled and moved on.

And what did Sango do? She blinked after him for a moment in total and utter confusion. What brought that on, anyway? Miroku the Hentai Monk, making simply romantic gestures? That was totally out of character for him, but considering the following night he snuck up on her bath, it was still obvious that it was him.

Just now she lifted her head and looked in the direction of where Kagome had stalked off, where Inuyasha had followed her. “Did you hear something?” she asked.

Kirara mewed at Sango and shook her head.

“I heard a moan,” Shippo informed them. “It sounded like Kagome.”

Sango glanced up and met Miroku’s gaze. What were they to do now? Shippo seemed oblivious to what had happened between Kagome and Inuyasha, but both Sango and Miroku had figured it out. If they hadn’t known before that the two of them had gotten together, it was getting more obvious with each day.

And now they left together and were moaning in the middle of the forest.

. . .Until a loud thud was heard and Inuyasha's swearing. Everyone stood in unison and stared into the forest.

“What’d you do that for!” Inuyasha’s voice was saying.

“What’d I do it for! You bit me!” Kagome yelled back.

Sango’s jaw fell. Bit?

“It was a nip!

“It didn’t feel like one!”

“Sensitive human! Can’t you take anything!”

“SIT!”

Another loud thud, but this one was undeniably his eating dirt.

“You get back here!” And he was screaming not a second later.

“Sit! Order me again and see what happens!”

~*~ Inuyasha ~*~

It really was just a nip. She was taking it entirely too harshly.

A full day had passed and she still was torturing him over it. It’s not like he had intended on hurting her, but really she should have been expecting it. I mean, really, she knew that dog demons marked each other with bites. What was she waiting for, a speech and a bottle of wine? What is wine, anyway?!

It was getting harder to sleep at night. Now he fidgeted constantly in his tree, continually glancing down at Kagome’s sleeping form. At least, she was pretending to sleep. He knew she was awake. The way she breathed, how she moved, her occasional sigh. She was still awake, alright, and having as much trouble as he was getting to sleep.

How did one get back in the good graces of a woman when she had become so angry? He knew everything she did: that the nip was brought on by their kissing, and that she wouldn’t let him kiss her again until they got past this.

Which really sucked because for the past week now he’d been using kisses as a way to get forgiven. What, did he have to say he was sorry? Apologize for something that she was over exaggerating about? He rarely apologized when he was wrong; how could she expect him to now?

But maybe. . .maybe she didn’t think that way. Maybe she thought he was in control the entire time, that he was conscious of everything he was doing and had planned the nip. How could get her to see things his way?

It occurred to him that she was probably thinking the same thing. Which meant neither were getting past this without a long talk. . .

And he hated long talks.

Sighing, he got up and hopped down. Attuned as he was to Kagome, he heard her go entirely still and catch her breath. She was really hoping this act of hers would go unnoticed. Would she never learn?

He came over to her and knelt on one knee. “Kagome, get up,” he whispered. “I know you’re awake. I think it’s time we talked.”

“There’s nothing to talk about,” she muttered under her sleeping bag.

“I think there is.”

“Do we have to do it now?”

She was grabbing for anything she could reach, he realized. “Would you rather wait until morning, when everyone is up?”

“. . .No.”

“Then let’s go. We don’t have to go far as long as we keep quiet.”

She muttered, “That’s out of your ability,” as she got up, apparently thinking he couldn’t hear her.

He helped her up and together they walked a ways from camp. Inuyasha didn’t stop until Kagome did; this way he knew when she was a comfortable distance.

“What do you want to talk about?” she asked.

“I think you know.”

She sighed and rubbed her neck, where he nipped her. “Well. . . it hurt.”

“I wasn’t trying to hurt you.”

“I know, it’s just. . .”

“What?”

Her eyes were shining with tears when she looked up again. “It scared me.”

Everything inside seemed to freeze at that. She wasn’t afraid of him, was she? “Scared you. . .how?”

“I thought. . .I thought that you were going to. . .” She looked away. “I thought that you might be trying to. . .mark me.”

Inuyasha sighed. That scared her. Alright, that he could deal with. “I won’t until you tell me I can. You should know that.”

“Well, I do, but at the moment it was instinct.”

Instinct to reject me? he wondered. “What do you mean, instinct?”

She fidgeted with her hands. “It. . .I don’t want to have to say it.”

“I’m not telling you to, but I’m not going to understand until you explain, Kagome.” Being gentle wasn’t his strong point, but he sure as hell was learning.

“In my time it’s very. . .just wrong to start doing. . .stuff. . .before you reach eighteen,” she tried.

“Stuff? Like mating?”

“To use animal terms, yes.”

That sounded suspiciously like an insult. “So you’re scared of me marking you, because that would mean we’re mates, and that mates tend to mate, and you’re not eighteen?”

“Just about.”

“Oh. Well, you should know that mating and marking don’t always come together,” he began. He himself had never heard of an instance where mates marked one another and didn’t mate afterwards, but then Kagome had written the sequence just so. Was she so scared of it that even in her story she couldn’t allow it to happen?

She shrugged. “I guess, but not all of me can accept that.”

“Well, which part can?”

For just a second her mouth turned up, and she smiled. But it faded as fast as it came.

An irresistible thought crossed his mind and he reached forward and ran his claws along her stomach. “Is it this part?”

Kagome giggled and stepped back.

“Or this part?” he asked, grazing his claws along her thigh.

“Cut it out,” she laughed.

“What about here?” He went on and on, lightly touching this part of her body, then that one, until the light returned to her eyes and she smiled at him once again. For just a moment afterwards he held onto her and they smiled at each other.

Presently, though, he leaned down to kiss her and noted how she didn’t try to thwart him. He kept all passion out of it, however, and made sure it was as sweet as he could manage.

“That,” he said upon drawing back, “was your goodnight kiss. Do I get one, too?”

Kagome laughed out of pure delight and stood on her toes to kiss him. His best goodnight kiss ever.

:End Chapter:

One of the reasons why I've been changing the end notes are because of fanfic's new rule. If you haven't heard about it, I'll tell you. . .

They've forbidden authors from answering reviews in their fanfics. Seems like these guys got drunk on power and are living to make the rest of our lives difficult. One big point was brought up in argument to this new rule, which I didn't memorize so it's probably not a perfect quote:

"Answering reviews is a way of letting out readers know that we read our reviews, and we appreciate them."

Which is true. Remember me, Esme? :Waves:

We had a situation like that a couple dozen chapters back. She'd been worried that I forgot about her. Which, by the way, is impossible considering that I drew a picture of her a while back. . . like a year ago.

And I'm sure that quoting my reviews proves that I can and do respond, and gives the rest of you reasons to review as well. Maybe thinking, "Will I be the lucky one who she picks this time?" or some such thing.

Also, there's the fact that I can't give people what they ask for (such as Sesshomaru in a tux to Stacey - pardon if I mixed up the name) if I can't reply to my reviews. There's a petition going around in e-mails to fight this, going for 200 signatures I believe. The catch is that you have to have an e-mail address and an account to make your signature count.

Now that I've got that out of the way. . .

:Picks up a bazooka: Now who doesn't want to review? :Smirks Vegeta-like:

Readers:
Erm. . . He doesn't! :Points at some lone guy:

Some Lone Guy:
Eep.

:Fires the Bazooka at him:

Some Lone Guy:
MOMMY!!! :Blasted to tiny bits

Ta-da!! :Calls Dr. Frankenstein: Yeah. . . he's blasted to bits. . . Oh sure, you can implant whatever you like in him. . . No, go ahead, he's all yours now. . . Yeah, my fee stands at 5,000 for this. . . . See you soon, then! :Closes the cell phone:

Deal with the devil. :Winks:

See ya!