InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Changing Lives ❯ His Worst Nightmare, True ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Had he the control to say anything, he’d be telling her to stop him right about now. He wasn’t about to regain enough control to stop himself. What was going to happen next between them was entirely in her own hands.

And she was still kissing him.

~*~ Sango ~*~

“You get back here!” And he was screaming not a second later.

“Sit! Order me again and see what happens!”

~*~ Inuyasha ~*~

“That,” he said upon drawing back, “was your goodnight kiss. Do I get one, too?”

Kagome laughed out of pure delight and stood on her toes to kiss him. His best goodnight kiss ever.

AE Thirty Eight

A few weeks later, a total of four nights after his last new moon, he returned to Kagome’s time after her usual three days and immediately scented Souta. Hopping out of the well showed Souta sitting on the steps and looking extremely anxious. Upon seeing Inuyasha, he completely flipped.

“Inuyasha!” he yelled. “You’ve got to come here – inside the house – there’s an. . .come on!” He was already leading the way.

Inuyasha didn’t like the sound in Souta’s voice, that distinctive panicky note. He followed the boy into the house, where Mama sat at the kitchen table, looking just as unnerved as Souta was.

“What’s going on?”he asked.

Mama jumped. “Inuyasha,” she sighed. “Kagome’s not here.”

“So? She’s still at school, right?”

“She didn’t come home.”

“So she’s out with her friends again.” He didn’t like the way she was talking.

“I already called them! Inuyasha. . .she should have been back three hours ago.”

Silence reigned supreme for one long moment. Inuyasha swallowed. “Is there a reason to worry?” he asked, carefully.

After a few seconds she nodded, slowly. “We don’t know how to find her. I would have called the police, but in order for her to be ‘missing’ she’d have to have been gone forty-eight hours – Inuyasha!”

He was already out the door. If this was his time, he would have killed everything in his path to get to her, but her time was different. Too many smells and sounds polluted the air so he was having an incredibly hard time keeping to her scent. If he didn’t find her soon. . .

Well, then her time would suffer.

~*~ Random Pedestrian ~*~

“Kanaye! Give that here!”

A young girl, Kanaye, was filming things via a miniature hand-held camcorder. The person who spoke a moment ago was Hiei, her elder brother. She giggled as she taped the people walking down the streets and the cars beeping at one another.

“Holy crud! Kanaye, look at that!”

She turned the camcorder and gasped. Towards the sky, more like the roofs nearby, was a person. Whoever it was wore all red with an incredible amount of silvery hair. She taped him jumping across the buildings until he stopped and jumped down. She gasped again, sure that a ten-story fall would kill him, but he landed fine and looked around. Not a moment later he lifted his chin to the sky and then jumped back up, onto a shorter roof, and continued his trek.

“Let’s go!” she said, chasing after him and trying to keep him within the range of the camcorder. A crowd was already trailing after him and he didn’t seem to notice. Coming up in front of her was a wide, stout building, and he dropped down behind it. The crowd split in two directions to go around it but lost him on the other side.

“Where’d he go?” someone asked.

Straight forward, Kanaye thought. “Hiei, let’s try this way,” she said, and continued down the street at a quickened pace.

“Up there,” Hiei whispered to her, and gestured with his eyes. She looked up and caught a faint silvery gleam before it was gone, and she glanced behind her. Nobody had bothered to follow her and the camera was still rolling.

The two of them followed that red-clad person as far as they could without being noticed. The camcorder showed him drop down in an ally-like portion of a building and she and Hiei crept forward, trying their best not to make a sound. She peeked the camcorder around the corner and watched the screen.

This building had a split straight down the middle in a T, the vertical way being the only exit, unless you went up. There were trash cans on both sides and a few back doors. To the left was nothing, but to the right. . .she almost gasped.

The screen showed that just beyond a few trash cans were two legs, mostly visible. The red-clad figure, now undoubtedly a man, was squatting before it. He was saying something, but too softly for her to hear. She did hear, however, a soft whimpering in return. Those legs moved, showing more than one bruise, and then Kanaye saw a girl’s face.

She was leaning forward, towards that man. The look on his face was somewhat like pain, and the girl was crying silently, gripping his jacket, or whatever it was. Kanaye zoomed in and cleared some blurring to get a better look. Their lips were moving, but she still couldn’t hear anything. The man leaned back and very carefully stroked the girl’s cheek and then he took off his jacket-thing.

He was wearing another one beneath it, a white one with thinner sleeves. She couldn’t see well what he did then, because his hands disappeared behind the trash cans, but then he pushed something off to the side and wrapped his jacket around the girl. She whimpered when he did so and clung more tightly to him, and Kanaye found it hard to stay quiet.

With the zoom as close as it was, she could see the girl’s hands, shaking badly, and the streams of tears down her face. Just what the hell happened to her?!

The man’s lips moved again, but this time Kanaye read his lips: “I’m here now.” The girl gave him a shaky smile in return. Then he lifted her up and leapt up onto the roof again and was gone. Kanaye sighed and turned the camera around to record her.

“You’re going to the police,” she told the camera. “They’re going to need to see this.”

“Let’s go, then,” Hiei said. “Turn it off.”

She shut off the camcorder.

~*~ Inuyasha ~*~

Although Kagome wouldn’t say a word about where she was or what happened, it was entirely too obvious. Once he returned home with her, wrapped in nothing but his haori, her mother had both sighed with relief and absolutely freaked out. She asked a million and one questions, let Kagome take a bath, then called the police.

Through it all Kagome didn’t say a word. Every time someone asked a question she didn’t want to answer, she would shut up and hide her face in his chest or neck.

He’d been with her while she took her bath. For modesty’s sake alone he didn’t face her, merely sat with his back to the tub, but every time she moved she also whimpered. He was barely in control of himself, of his rage, of the incredible burning hatred for whoever it was that did this to her.

He got one good look at her when he wrapped her in a towel as she got out, and with increasing anger he noted all the bruises and cuts he saw on her body, most especially a large lump above her left hip. It was such a bad bruise that it wasn’t discolored, but shining. It was only just beneath the scar of her first battle wound, of where the Shikon Jewel was.

When he came here, it was his intention to spend the day with her, then bring her back to his time for more hunts. Instead he left alone, back to his time, as soon as night came. He stayed only long enough to talk with everyone.

“Something’s happened in Kagome’s time,” he said. “I’m going to stay there with Kagome until it’s. . .straightened out.”

They didn’t miss the growl in his voice.

“What’s happened?” Miroku asked.

“Yeah, you’re really mad,” Shippo said.

“Is it Kagome?” Sango added.

He didn’t want to say but nodded. “Yeah, it’s Kagome. She’s. . .Well, she was attacked.”

“Uh-oh,” Shippo said. “I think I should pity the attackers.”

“Should I pray for Kagome’s recovery?” Miroku asked.

“Don’t bother,” Inuyasha told him. “The Gods in this time don’t know about her, and neither can they do anything.”

Sango wasn’t saying anything. One hand covered her mouth and the other held her arm. She was staring at the ground. She said, “Will Kagome be okay?”

“Yeah. It’ll take a while for her to heal, though.”

“What kind of attack?” Miroku went on.

Inuyasha’s fists clenched. “The perverted kind.”

Silence. They all understood. After a lengthy moment, Sango let out a sob and fell to her knees, dropping her head. Inuyasha stepped back as Miroku knelt down and put an arm around Sango. Another few minutes passed in which they gathered thoughts and regained control.

Sango looked up again and said, “She’ll need you.”

“Stay with her,” Miroku added. “As long as she needs.”

Inuyasha nodded. “I was planning on it. I’ll come back as soon as I know more, alright?”

“But she’ll be alright?” Shippo asked.

Inuyasha felt enraged, all right, but he still managed a smile to set the kit’s mind at ease. “She’ll be perfectly fine, once she’s healed. Don’t worry, her attackers won’t go unpunished.” He hoped they understood the threat he meant. “I’ll be back tomorrow night.”

His return to the well didn’t go smoothly. He almost literally ran into Sesshomaru, who seemed somewhat interested in his rush.

“What has you running blindly?” he asked.

Inuyasha didn’t particularly want to answer, but until he did, he knew Sesshomaru wasn’t going to let him leave. “Nothing you’re interested in, I’m sure.”

“You smell of worry and hate.”

That was true. “Yeah, I guess I would.”

“Explain this.”

Sometimes Sesshomaru was such a problem. “I have to get back to Kagome.”

“The human calls and you rush to her side.”

“Close. Our feud is going to have to wait for another night. I have to take revenge for her.”

“She was hurt this badly?”

“And dishonored.”

Sesshomaru’s chin lifted just slightly. “By whom?”

“Humans. Can I go now?”

He nodded. “Be sure to cause them pain as well as fear,” he added as Inuyasha left.

Like he needed to be told. This was likely the first time that Inuyasha and Sesshomaru parted without hateful words towards one another, and it seemed to be because Inuyasha had something else to do, something more important than a fight. And Sesshomaru knew this.

It was something of a new thought, that Sesshomaru would simply let him go because he had to avenge someone. Inuyasha pondered over it until he got back to the well, and then his thoughts filled again with the ways he would make those men pay.

When he entered her room, she was lying on her side with her back facing him. Her mother was sitting on the floor, wringing her hands, looking for all the world like she was completely lost. Seeing him seemed to calm her down a bit, and it struck a nerve in him. He had no idea Kagome’s mother trusted him this much, but thinking of it, she must, otherwise she wouldn’t let Kagome keep coming back.

In a sense, it kind of warmed his heart.

“What’s the matter?” he asked quietly. He knew Kagome wasn’t asleep, but her mother was buying the act, so he went along with it. He sat down beside her.

“Every mother worries,” she replied, just as quietly. “We worry about bad things that could happen, but this. . .This is a mother’s nightmare.”

Not knowing what to say to this didn’t stop him from speaking. “Kagome faces nightmares every day she’s with me, and she beats them back.”

Mama offered him a slight smile. “Perhaps. . .but she knows how to handle the dangers in your time, not the ones standing right outside our front door.”

“Perhaps, but then, she doesn’t have to.” He sat up a bit straighter. “That’s what I’m here for. I can scare away those ‘dangers’ with little problem.”

“And when you’re not here?”

She purposely let that question trail off, and he knew it. He didn’t have a quick reply to it; instead he thought a moment.

“Then I guess I’ll have to scare them away more fiercely from now on, so they’ll stay gone while I am.”

She gave him that small smile again. “I’m afraid there’s not much you can do here. In your time there’s just monsters, most of which are mindless. Here our monsters are all human-formed and entirely too clever. They won’t stay gone.”

“Just because they’re clever doesn’t mean that my means don’t scare them. They’ll pay.” He took a slow breath and leaned closer, hoping Kagome wouldn’t hear what he said next. “Tomorrow, I hunt.”

She looked surprised. “Hunt?” she breathed. After a moment her eyes widened as she understood and she nodded. “I think we should talk downstairs.”

He didn’t particularly want to leave Kagome so soon after returning, but her mother obviously had more to say, so they went downstairs and spoke in the kitchen.

“What else do you need to say?” he asked.

She sat down at the table and brought her hands together. “Inuyasha. . .Our justice system is based around the phrase, ‘Innocent until proven guilty’. Not everyone follows this phrase, but it is our most highly used phrase. Our justice system works this way. . .A crime is reported, in this case. . .assault, and. . .and rape. Police investigate and try to figure out whether it happened like it was told. They search for the culprit, or culprits, arrest them, and put them on trial.

“The trial is the main point. Twelve men and women are called to sit in the jury seats. Their job is to judge what the witnesses say, what the prosecutor and defendant say, and all of the evidence. At the end they decide whether or not the defendant is guilty of the crimes they were accused of. Then they choose what’s deemed to be the correct amount of jail time, or even sentenced to death by number of ways.

If this man is caught, he’ll have the right to a trial, to an attorney to fight for him, and to be judged. Kagome will be there at the trial because she’s the victim. These charges. . .assault, kidnapping, rape. . .it’s quite an amount of years in prison, more because she’s a minor, but it won’t last. Eventually he’ll finish serving his time and be let out again. This is how it works.”

“He should be killed,” Inuyasha snapped. “Whoever he is, whatever he is, wherever he is. If there were any real justice Kagome would be able to kill him herself!”

“Six.”

He nearly jumped. He turned and saw Kagome standing on the stairs, about halfway down and moving slow. “What?”

She reached the bottom and leaned against him. “There were six. Not one.”

“Kagome,” her mother gasped, covering her mouth. “Six? Six. . .men?”

Kagome nodded. “One I could have fought off by myself. Two, even. But there were. . .six.”

Six. Inuyasha’s previous anger seemed almost insignificant now, faced against this new wave of rage. A pebble in the ocean. He hugged her close and tried his best to keep his mouth shut. In his mind, his envisions of the ways he would kill one man suddenly became six, and his thoughts raced with near unintelligible streams of curses. Damns. They were damned.

He was going to damn them himself.

:End Chapter:

DON'T KILL ME DON'T KILL ME DON'T KILL ME!!! :Runs and hides:

Look, I know this seems cruel, but it’s been on my mind a long time and now I’m using it. Plus it’s a means to an end which I’m sure will both scare you and. . .well let’s say it’s naughty enough that fanfic probably won’t approve. That means more editing for the family-friendly version.

This chapter is finished 2/5/05. I’m gonna make it a habit to write out the dates for ya.

Ay-yi-yi, will this fic ever end? :Shakes magic 8-ball, reads: “Signs point to ‘no’.” Well, there you have it.

Seriously, I shook a magic 8-ball and that’s what it says. Funny, huh?

Last note: I've been getting reviews (mainly on mediaminer) that says this chapter is a lot like another fic that I hadn't heard of before now. Sorry about that, but seriously, do you guys want me to read every single fic ever written to make sure mine isn't like them? These things happen. My original Trans. was supposedly a lot like a different story. . . "Roundabout Is Fair Play" I think it was called. . . Anyway this chapter, nor any part of my fic, is plaguerized. Unlike some others, I know better.

It seems kinda ridiculous to steal a fic, anyway. If you can't write a fic yourself, find a new hobby. XD

:Loads a rocket launcher: I take it you're all going to review NICE things for this chapter, right? I'm locked, loaded, and not afraid to fire! Plus. . .

:Pushes a button, a targeting laser shines to life: I have THIS. :Winks, blows up a tank:

Hope nobody was in there. :Laughs maniacally:

Naraku:
Ow. . . :Smoldering, crawls out of the wreckage of the tank:

Me:
Eh, who cares about HIM, anyway? :Shoots him again:

See ya!