InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Confrontation II: Trials and Tribulations ❯ Inutuition ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A/N: As usual, all characters will walk that fine line of OOCness, so I seriously don't want to hear about it!! I don't have much to say with the exception of; damn it's been a disappointing 2 weeks. My hopes have been built up significantly for one reason or another, only to have it squashed to all ever hell! Then I deleted certain chapters from one of my other fics (Truth & Consequences), only to find out later that I don't have them saved, so now I have to re-write them (bangs head on desk). Then ff.net has something stupid going on with their site that makes me have to wait for like a week or more to get any reviews!! (Ugh!!) Needless to say at this point I'm almost bald from pulling at my hair, and I have a nasty black and blue bruise on my forehead from banging my head against various things. Anyway, I'll stop rambling now and post the chapter. Thanks for all your wonderful reviews!!!
 
Disclaimer: I do not own any of them with the exception of Kanomaru, Joudama, and …
 
Chapter 4:
 
Intuition
 
Staring off in the direction of the spring Shippo had gone to, Inuyasha asked irritably, “What in the hell is taking him so long,”
 
“Be patient, he's just doing as Sango requested,” the Monk replied from his spot on the ground, where he with his back against a large oak tree and his daughter standing between his raised knees.
 
“Feh, why in the hell couldn't she wait? We're almost there.” Pacing back and forth he stopped for a moment and looked in the direction of his mate and her friend. He didn't know why but he felt like something was wrong. Sure Kagome was right here with him and unharmed as were the others, but still he couldn't shake this feeling.
 
“Papa, tuncle mad,” Joudama inquired while throwing her little arms around Miroku's neck.
 
He knew she was referring to Inuyasha. She always had a hard time pronouncing uncle, and an even harder time saying Inuyasha. Smiling down at the little girl that everyone said was a female version of himself, Miroku replied softly while standing to his feet, “No princess, he's not. He's just in a rush to get to the castle to see Kanomaru.”
 
“Ka..no…ma…who”, she repeated.
 
Strolling over to his wife, he chuckled lightly before replying, “Yes love. He's your Auntie Rin's son.” He knew she probably didn't remember him because the last time Kano came to the village, which was about a year ago, she was sick with a high fever. Sango had vehemently refused to let anyone with the exception of Kagome and Lady Keade tend to her or see her. He distinctly remembered her saying, `Maybe some other time, but for right now she doesn't need anymore germs around her.'
 
He knew she didn't mean it in an impolite or malicious sort of way. She was just severely overprotective of the little girl. So much so that sometimes he would catch her eyeing him closely as he played with or carried Joudama.
 
At times, this would bother him like nothing else could, but most times he would just shrug it off by saying to himself, `She's just being Sango.'
 
He knew that outside of himself and his daughter, his wife had no remaining blood relatives. That was another reason why he never told her that her constant attention when he had the little angel, made him feel as if she didn't trust him or like she was waiting for him to do something stupid.
 
It was also that exact reason that Inuyasha and Shippo never held his daughter, which also annoyed him. Inuyasha was the closest and the only thing the child had to an uncle and Shippo was like her big brother. How was it all right that they didn't get to play with her or hold her?
 
He had seen Inuyasha interact with Kano since the boy was merely an infant. Sure, he could be brash and downright hostile at times, but for some reason around the pup and even Joudama he seemed to mellow out. Sighing dejectedly, the recovering lech continued to cover the distance between him and his beautiful, overprotective, and paranoid wife.
 
Though he thought about this on a regular basis, he never brought it up.
 
Stooping down, he kissed his daughter's forehead and passed her to Sango. Lightly pinching the tip of Joudama's nose he said in a singsong voice, “Who's the prettiest little girl in the whole wide world?”
 
The little girl giggled and replied, “Me daddy, me,” while pointing at her chest.
 
Tickling her lightly, he chuckled, “That's right, and who loves you the most?” That was something that he had always asked her from the moment she took her first breath. Though she couldn't actually answer him at first, she would always giggle or smile, and that was good enough for him.
 
Pitching forward, Joudama placed a soft kiss to her fathers' cheek before replying happily, “My daddy does!”
 
Sparing another moment to smile at his pride and joy the Houshi turned his attention to his smiling wife. Who at the moment was gazing at him with a look that he hadn't seen in a very, very long time. `Kami what I wouldn't give to see that everyday,' he thought as he reached up and caressed her cheek with the ball of his thumb. “Shippo should be back shortly with the water, then we'll be on our way, okay?”
 
Nodding the Ex-Slayer pulled her daughter back so that she was sitting in her lap. Looking shyly away from her husband she couldn't stop the way her heart began to race and her stomach fluttered, `I'm so lucky. After all these years, and everything that we've been through he still loves me. With everything that I put him through, he's still faithful to me…only me.'
 
Perhaps that's why after Joudama's birth she decided that her days of putting her life on the line needlessly were over. She had come so close to loosing her life during childbirth that fighting demons on a daily basis just seemed rather, senseless. Especially when compared to what she now had to loose. Therefore, outside of defending her family and friends, she promised herself that she would never again pick up nor carry her Hiraikotsu.
 
Leaning in she kissed the crown of her daughter's head as she watched her husband retreat back to the shade of the tree. She no longer considered herself a Slayer, though that was her families calling. She was now a mother, wife, and a friend. For the time being she was more than content with this change.
 
Simonkal of Inuy
 
Turning away from the stable and the sleeping two-headed dragon, Rin sighed dejectedly and glanced towards the setting sun. `Where could he have gone? Maybe he's in with Sesshomaru,' she thought absently, looking towards the gates that Jakken had yet to close. `He wouldn't have! He knows he's prohibited from leaving the grounds without his father or me to accompany him.'
 
Turning on her heels she tried to ignore the nagging feeling that told her that that's exactly where he went. `No, he wouldn't disobey us like that!'
 
Looking around the huge stretch of land before her, she shouted, “Kanomaru!”
 
She was trying to keep the panic out of her voice, but she had already checked all of his usual hiding places. The tight space beneath his low rise bed that he wouldn't sleep in, the pantry in the kitchen, the chest that housed his clothing that he refused to wear, and even the bottom to the Koi ponds that she had found him in on several different occasions. How he held his breath for that long was beyond her.
 
Hoping that his stomach would lead him in her direction, she yelled, “Kanomaru come out honey, it's dinner time!”
 
All she heard in reply was the chirping of the grasshoppers and the rustle of the trees around her as they swayed in the evening breeze.
 
Turning in a slow circle her eyes stopped on the open gates once more.
 
`No…he wouldn't.'
 
Forcing her eyes away she stared into the branches of the many Sakura trees that covered the well-kept gardens of her home. Fear gripped her! She never had to call him more than twice before he finally gave in and came to her with a cheesy grin plastered on his little face followed up by an over excited proclamation of, `I win mommy, you loose!'
 
Taking a step back her eyes turned once more towards the opened gates, that at this moment looked more like the mouth of a drooling virile beast.
 
Sesshomaru tried to spare her the horrific details of what a full-blooded youkai would do if they caught him alone…away from them, without any protection. Even without him actually voicing the truth, she understood just how important it was that he be kept safe at all times, at least until he was old enough to defend himself.
 
He was a half-breed it's true, but he…her Kanomaru was also the heir to the Western Lands. Any demon labeled with killing him would be revered by the youkai populace as the one who took down the hanyou that would be Lord.
 
Her chest heaved up and down as she took another step back. “Kano…Kanomaru, mommy doesn't want to play anymore, honey! Please come out! You've won! You're the champion of Hide-n-Seek,” she yelled, still trying to keep the fear and panic she was feeling out of her voice.
 
She heard movement to her left and turned immediately hoping to see his little golden eyes smiling at her, and his vibrant jet-black hair flowing in the wind as he ran towards her then practically tackled her. Instead she saw Ah'un, lethargically shaking his heads. She didn't know why but at this moment…this second, the only thing that came to mind was, `He's not here.'
 
Turning on her heels she yanked up the ends of her Kimono and sprinted towards the house.
 
`Something's wrong…Oh, Kami my child,' she thought frantically, as she kicked off her sandals and ran even harder towards the front door.
 
She couldn't fight the feeling anymore! Everything in her screamed that he was in danger, that he was hurt! Something…someone had hurt him!
 
Reaching the door, she threw it open and screamed, “Sesshomaru!!” Rin had never called him that, not once in all the time since they had been mated or before that.
 
`Kanomaru, please… Please Kami, let him be okay!' Reaching the mid step of the stairs her love appeared in front of her, with Jakken close behind.
 
“Rin,” he stated softly. He had sensed her distress and heard her calling to his heir, but he always sensed that when they played what she called Hide-n-Seek.
 
Grasping her chest, she stuttered as she tried to catch her breath, “Gone…he's gone…”
 
The Inu Lord stared at her for a moment, “Who's gone?”
 
“Kanomaru…Kanomaru is gone! Jakken…he must have left the gates open…he's…I know he's out there,” she cried, pointing hysterically towards the open doors of their home. “Please you have to find him!”
 
`Gone?' As her word sunk in an unknown feeling gripped him. Was she trying to tell him that Kanomaru was… Turning towards the imp, he stated coldly, “Stay with her, I'll return shortly.”
 
Jakken was frozen. He hadn't realized that he had left the gates open. He was so lost in his own thoughts of hating being Rin's errand boy that he had actually forgotten. `How could I have forgotten to do that?'
 
Sesshomaru had told him on several occasions that he was to make sure that the gates were closed and locked at all times. So as not to give roving youkai's any ideas of trespassing on his private land. Especially now that it was also Kanomaru's personal playground. “Yes, of course Lord Sesshomaru,” the imp replied hoping that he wouldn't get beaten to within an inch of his life for this slight.
 
Rin collapsed on the steps, tears pouring from her eyes as she let her imagination take her over the edge. She saw Sesshomaru bringing Kanomaru's small bloody body back. She saw visions of weeping friends! She saw her love enraged, his eyes glowing blood red as he tore through wall after wall of their home, while she clung helplessly to her toddlers limp body!
 
Sobbing uncontrollably she mumbled, “Please let him be okay.”
 
Closing the doors behind him, Sesshomaru stepped into the yard and away from his mate's tears. Though he could only remember one, maybe two times that she had actually cried he still couldn't bare the thought that she was unhappy.
 
Glancing towards the stable he noticed that Ah'un was staring off towards the forest. Following his gaze the Inu Lord turned towards the gates and sniffed.
 
`He didn't,' he thought unbelievably.
 
He could smell the pup's scent leading to and through the gate, but it was old, at least by an hour or more. Breathing in deeply, he quieted his mind and the voices that told him that his son had defied him. He had totally disregarded the warnings he had given him about leaving the estate!
 
For now that didn't matter. What did matter was the safety of his pup. `Where could he have gone and why would he leave the grounds?'
 
He knew his son was overly inquisitive therefore it wouldn't have taken much to entice him past the boundaries set for him. That was the reason he ordered the gate be kept closed at all times. That, he would deal with later.
 
`Could it have been a stray animal that approached the gates and intrigued him to the point that he would loose all sense of time, or was this some ploy planned by a lowbred demon?'
 
Taking off at a rapid pace in the direction that Kano's scent was strongest, Sesshomaru forced everything else out of his mind. He then did something that he had never done in his life. He prayed to his father and the Inu Lords that came before him, for his son's safety.
 
Simonkal of Inuy
 
`I knew it,' Kano thought excitedly, as he hid behind a small bush lining the river that his prey was currently using.
 
The boy had been following this scent all the way here. He didn't realize how much time was passing or what direction he was going in, he just kept running. He never thought of the danger that he was putting himself in nor the fact that his parents would be vexed. The only thing on his little mind was adventure and plenty of it.
 
As he watched the red headed boy bend over to fill a bottle with water he saw his chance for revenge. `I told you I'd get you back,' he thought happily, as he crept up closer to his mumbling friend.
 
The last time they were together at his Aunt Kagome and Uncle Inuyasha's house, the Kitsune had made the stump of a tree look like his mother and he in return ran head first into it.
 
Figuring that he was close enough, he started jogging towards the Kitsune's rear end an evil grin spread over his face. Lifting his left leg Kanomaru did a flying kick, knocking the fox demon into the water headfirst.
 
“Oi, what the hell,” Shippo sputtered, as he spat out the water he almost swallowed and rolled over to glare at his assailant.
 
Kanomaru stood on the shore, his face set in a not quite so intimidating scowl, his arms crossed over his puffed out chest, and his head held high. “Who gave you permission to trespass on my land,” he demanded to know, trying his best to imitate what he had heard his father say to a few youkai's before.
 
Standing to his feet the pubescent fox demon hissed, “Kano, why in the hell did you do that?” His face was beet red from embarrassment. “Why are you here, anyway?”
 
Ignoring his friend the little hanyou held his head even higher, “This Kanomaru Lord of the Western Land demands to know why you're trespassing on his land!”
 
Shippo just stared at him for a minute. Kanomaru was only four years old, but he was far more intelligent than the average pup his age. That was something the fox attributed to the Tai-Youkai and the fact that from the time that he could talk and walk, Sesshomaru made sure that the boy was tutored at least 5 days week, if not more.
 
Narrowing his eyes, Shippo stared at the boy that barely reached his shoulder, which didn't say much because he wasn't very tall himself. He actually barely reached Inuyasha's thigh.
 
Lowering his head the kit continued to stare at his adversary. His brooding scowl turned slowly into a toothy grin. Not sparing his friend a moment to move, Shippo pounced on him, knocking him to the ground.
 
The two rolled back and forth on the ground, yanking at each other's hair and throwing punches that neither one of them felt. Claws sank into the other's skin but didn't break it. Teeth latched on to the other's neck but no blood was drawn. Basically they were two pups playing as pups sometimes do.
 
Rolling Kano onto his back, Shippo pinned him down, “Say you're sorry!”
 
Squirming beneath his adversary's tight grip Kano hissed, “Never!” While bringing his little legs up so that it wrapped around the fox's neck. Yanking back he threw Shippo off of him and towards the waters edge.
 
“I win,” the young Lord shouted after taking a moment to catch his breath. Jumping to his feet, he walked slowly towards his friend that was still on his back breathing hard. “Shippo, you okay,” he inquired, as he stooped down next to him.
 
Reaching for the bottle, he had just filled, the fox replied, “Yeah, yeah I'm fine.” Glaring at his friend, he asked, “Oi, what are you doing here?”
 
“I smelled your stench, so I came to get you. Is Uncle yasha…I mean Uncle Inuyasha here to?” Knowing that his father hated when he shortened his Uncle's name as much as he hated when people shortened his name he made the correction of his own accord.
 
“Yeah, he's here. As a matter of fact they're waiting on me. We were on our way to your house.”
 
“Really? Why?” he asked excitedly as he stood to his feet and dusted his bare chest off.
 
“For your 5 summers birthday, baka!”
 
Chuckling slyly, Kano replied, “Oh yeah, I forgot about that.”
 
Turning as if he was checking their surrounding Shippo inquired, “Uhm, Kano, where's your haori?”
 
Shrugging his shoulders, “Daddy told mommy I don't have to wear it anymore.”
 
`Stuck-up old Sesshomaru said that! Wow, maybe he has changed.' Grinning sheepishly, Shippo ran up and thumped his friend in the back of his head then took off into the woods. “If I beat you, you'll have to be my slave!”
 
Just in time to see his buddies red head disappear, Kanomaru shouted, “No fair, you cheated!” He took off after Shippo.
 
Gaining on the boy in front of him, Kanomaru yelled, “This Kanomaru will not lose to someone such as you!”
 
“Yeah, yeah whatever, Lord Kanomaru the hanyou,” Shippo taunted as he took off again determined to beat his opponent.
 
He didn't know why but everything between him and Kano was a competition. At first they would fight over who could keep Inuyasha's attention the longest. Then they would fight over who was going to sit in Kagome's lap. And the few times that Sesshomaru had allowed him to stay the night, they would bet on who would stay up the longest. The loser was always the winner's slave for the entire next day.
 
“Kano you back there? Or have you given up?” Not hearing a response the kitsune looked behind him and skidded to a top before turning around.
 
Kanomaru was being pinned down by an enormous Praying Mantis. One of its huge enormous prickled forelegs was pressed down on his neck while the other was poking him in his stomach as if testing the softness of his flesh.
 
Stepping closer Shippo screamed at the creature, “Get away from him!” Dropping the bottle that he was holding, he charged blindly towards the mud brown oversized bug. `Why didn't I notice him? How could I have run right by him!' Running up to the thing that seemed to be totally ignoring him he shouted, “Foxfire!” He then threw the blue blaze at the bug, which in return immediately reared up on his hind legs, hissing and wailing. Grasping a hold of his young friend's hand the kitsune pulled him to his feet, “Come on, let's go!”
 
Kanomaru was in utter shock! From the moment the thing had grabbed him, he couldn't move! Why was it trying to kill him? What had he done to it? Did he make it mad unknowingly?
 
Staring up at the rearing beast for a moment longer, he turned and attempted to run with Shippo but was immediately tugged backwards when one the demon's antennas wrapped possessively around his neck. His little hands clawed viciously at the appendages, “Let me go!” His legs flailed below him, “Please…” he whispered as his lungs struggled for air and tears came to his eyes.
 
Shippo ran back towards the monster but was thrown back a few feet by one of its legs. “Kanomaru, bite him! Do something…he going to kill you if you don't,” the kitsune screamed as he pushed himself up and ran back towards the bug screaming once again, “Fox fire!” He knew he had fought…well watched the others fight countless demons, but they weren't here and his friend was in danger, what was he suppose to do?
 
He couldn't run and hide like he had done before; he couldn't leave him and go get help, could he? `Why did Sango have to send me way out here just for water,' he mentally whined.
 
Shaking off the shock Kano thought, `Fight, I have to fight!' Swinging his little body around he kicked out towards the big black bubble that served as the vermin's eye. “Let…me…go,” he shouted angrily between kicks.
 
Running back towards them, the kitsune screamed as one of the beast's front legs slapped him again. This time it's sharp spines dug their way into his shoulder and down his arm knocking him back. Groaning, he paid no attention to the pain that ravaged his body. Instead he watched helplessly as the Mantis wrapped it's right front leg around Kano's body and squeezed as if telling him to be still. The smell of his friend's blood and tears assailed his nostrils. “Kano!!”
 
Shippo knew enough about this animal to know that, one; he didn't belong in this area and two, that it wouldn't kill his friend right away. Praying Mantis would rather eat their meals while they were still alive. Though it didn't sound good in his head, he hoped that perhaps it would buy some time for help to arrive, or either figure out something else to do.
 
Kanomaru stilled as the demon wrapped its leg around him. He felt the first prick as his skin broke under its pressure. “Daddy,” he screamed, with all his might as the animal's sharp leg spines dug deeper into his skin. He couldn't think, couldn't move, what had he done to this youkai? Why was he doing this to him? He couldn't understand it, why was this thing hurting him…what had he done wrong?
 
Tears poured down the young hanyou's face as he took a ragged breath. “Please…I'm sorry.” His little body trembled as pain unlike anything he had experienced before tore through his very core. “Whatever…I did to you…I'm sorry,” he pleaded weakly as his vision started to blur and his mind began to slow. His head lulled forward, and his body went limp in the creature's arm. The last thing he mumble was, “Da…Daddy…please...”
 
Until Next Time…(Don't forget to review, my friends!!)