InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Confrontation II: Trials and Tribulations ❯ Lessons in Hanyou-ism ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A/N: As always all characters not created by me will be walking that fine line of OOCness, so I don't want to hear about it!! Seems as though I've lost a few readers… (Shrugs shoulders and sighs) Oh well, the show must go on!! I seriously don't have much to say this time. I'm in one of those blasé moods at the moment. So, please enjoy!!
 
Disclaimer: I do not claim ownership to any of them, with the exception of the pup called Kanomaru, the angel known only as Joudama, Mana, and Rinji…
 
Chapter 5:
 
Lessons in Hanyou-ism
 
Kagome stated, “You know, if you don't stop that, you're going to dig a trench big enough to bury 10 bodies,” as she walked up to the pacing hanyou.
 
Turning to face her, Inuyasha narrowed his eyes, “Keh, if that runt doesn't hurry up, it'll be for one fucking fox!”
 
“Inuyasha, watch your language! Joudama's right over there,” the Miko reprimanded while pointing in the little girl's directions.
 
Glancing at the Monk and Slayer that were now sitting side by side, he responded with a forced, “Feh.”
 
Stepping closer to him, Kagome snaked her arms around his waist. “Calm down, we'll be there soon enough.”
 
Her scent would normally sooth him; quiet his frantic nerves but not today. “It's not that. Something's wrong.”
 
Leaning back she looked up at him, concern marring her brow, “What do you mean?”
 
“I don't know. Something just feels wrong.”
 
`I haven't seen him this antsy since the Jouyoku fiasco.' Sighing thoughtfully she inquired, “What do you think it is?”
 
“Wench, if I knew that, I wouldn't be here pacing, now would I?” Though it was a smart remark, the manner in which he said it actually served to lighten the tension in the small clearing. “Where the hell is Shippo?”
 
Smirking, she replied, “Well if I knew that, we wouldn't be here hugging, now would we?”
 
Looking down at her he couldn't help but to smile as he tightened his arms around her. Even when she wasn't trying, she would always find a way to make him feel better, or to ease his mind.
 
Sometimes Inuyasha would wake in the middle of the night or early in the morning and just stare at her radiant face, luscious pink skin, and dark tresses. He'd think just how lucky he was that she hadn't wished to return to her time and instead for his happiness. Sometimes when he was by himself, he would pinch his arm just to make sure that he wasn't dreaming, because he never in a million years would have thought that he, a half-breed, would have a mate…a wife as forgiving, sweet, and beautiful as she. Hell, he didn't think he would have a mate at all.
 
Noticing the far off look in his eyes, the Miko inquired, “Why are you looking at me like that?” .
 
Blinking a few times, he cleared his mind of his private thoughts, “What?”
 
“Why were you looking at me like that?”
 
“Like what, wench?” He knew exactly what she was asking him, he just didn't feel like answering her truthfully. What was he going to say, `Kami I love you. Every moment that I'm with you is like a dream come true. You're my world and so much more, please don't ever leave me?' That would have been nice, but to say something so…so…monkish would have made him feel weak…fake, and chances are she probably wouldn't have believed him anyway, since he never talked like that. “Feh, I'm your mate, I can stare at you anyway I want to.”
 
Giggling at his boorish answer, she hugged him tighter, “I love you too, dog boy.”
 
Opening his mouth to retort, he quickly shut it as a scent flew past his nose. `Blood…Shit, Kano!!'
 
He would know the pups' scent from a mile away. What really unnerved him was what in two hells was he doing this far from the castle? Pulling away from his mate, he said quickly, “Miroku, take Kagome and Sango to the castle, I need to check something out!”
 
Finding herself all of a sudden holding nothing but air, Kagome stated, “Inuyasha, what's wrong? Shippo still hasn't come back yet.”
 
Jogging in the direction that the scent was coming from he shouted, “Don't worry about it, I'll get him! I'll meet you guys at the castle!”
 
The last thing she saw was traces of red and silver disappearing into the high branches of the trees. Turning to look at the Monk and Ex-Slayer the Miko shrugged her shoulders and sighed, “Well let's get moving. You'll just have to feed Joudama when we get to Sesshomaru's, beside Inuyasha's right, we've wasted enough time waiting on Shippo.”
 
The Houshi nodded in agreement as he stood to his feet and held his hand out for his wife to take. “Don't worry she'll be fine until we get to the castle.” He knew Sango was worried about her missing her dinnertime, but honestly what was the big deal? As long as she ate, he really could care less about when. `If Kirara was here we could use her.' He thought absently. Taking his daughter from her mother, he led the way down the path.
 
They had left the neko youkai back at the village to help Keade since the elder Miko was beginning to move a little slower with age.
 
Taking one last glance in the direction that her hanyou disappeared in, Kagome sighed sadly, `How is this possible that I'm missing him all ready?'
 
Simonkal of Inuy
 
Racing through the trees, Sesshomaru chased his son's scent, while trying to mentally snuff out the insistent voice that told him that the pup was in danger.
 
This was the first time that the boy had disobeyed him and ventured out on his own. Could the little hanyou's luck be that bad that he would get caught in the clutches of some beast on his first venture out here alone?
 
`Yes'
 
The Inu Lord pushed on faster, harder until he neared a river where his son's scent was stronger. Stopping, he stood so that he was looking at the river and the swiftly disappearing sun. Sniffing lightly, he noticed that he also smelled the fox kit that traveled with his half-brother.
 
`Is this why he defied me?'
 
Sesshomaru knew he must have covered at least 7 miles in order to get here. He'd considered that, that would be something that his son could do so swiftly or would do on his own.
 
`Interesting'
 
Quieting his mind, he listened intently to the water and the trees around him as he zeroed in on the scent of his offspring.
 
His eyes widened dramatically as the wind swirled around him. His chest tightened, `Kano…maru.' He heard his son's blood curdling scream and without another second wasted, dashed off into the woods!
 
The closer he got the more he heard, felt, smelled. He heard the fox demon screaming…yelling at something, demanding it let Kanomaru go! He smelled his son's fear, his tears…his blood!
 
Tearing through the remaining trees that stood between him and his pup, Sesshomaru leaped into the air above the narrow trail. What he saw caused his eyes to turn velvety red and his chest to constrict.
 
An oversized Mantis had Kanomaru's limp body clutched in one of its huge forelegs. The fox kit sat a few feet away throwing whatever he could get his hands on at the vile creature.
 
Diving straight down his claws stretched out before him, Sesshomaru's only thought was, `Retribution.' How dare this thing touch something that belonged to him! How dare he touch his flesh and blood…his heir…his offspring!
 
Inuyasha burst on to the trail from the trees just in time to see his brother turn into what looked like a youkai drill, and dive into the huge belly of what appeared to be a Mantis. `What in the hell is going on here,' he thought as his eyes fell on his nephew's lifeless body.
 
Just as Sesshomaru made contact with the entrails of the demon, Inuyasha leapt into the air catching Kano.
 
The Inu Lord hated getting dirty but this beast had to be taught a lesson!
 
As the Mantis rutted around on the ground making all sorts of inhuman ungodly noises, Sesshomaru stalked towards it, Toukijin pulled from its sheath. He knew that this was overkill, but his steel would taste the blood of the first youkai foolish enough to lay a claw on his flesh!
 
In his head all he could see was his son's body lying flaccid…lifeless. All he could smell was his blood and his tears. Bringing the tip of his sword down on the demon's head, the Lord of the Western Lands hissed with venom, “Parish!”
 
Inuyasha landed softly on the far side of the trail with Kano in his arms. Ignoring the panic that rippled through him, he laid the boy on the ground and began to slap softly on both sides of his face while calling his name repeatedly.
 
Unfortunately there was no response.
 
The older hanyou tried to ignore the smell of the boy's blood. He tried to pretend he didn't see the gashes in the once unblemished skin of the pup's side and stomach. Grinding his teeth harshly, Inuyasha bit down hard on his bottom lip in order to still the rage that was steadily building within him.
 
Running up to the hanyou with tears in his eyes, Shippo asked, “Is he okay?” Kneeling beside his unconscious friend, he continued, “I…I tried to save him, but that thing was too strong! It just kept hitting me! It…it wouldn't let him go!”
 
Glancing at the kit and the blood on his upper body, the hanyou replied almost too calmly, “It's okay Shippo, you did the best you could.”
 
Hearing footsteps slowly approaching him from behind, Inuyasha instinctively moved to the right in order to give his brother access to his heir's small battered body.
 
Inuyasha's mind wouldn't focus. All he could think about was his nephew…the hanyou…the half-breed, who was now reliving the past he had lived so long ago. It was a path that he wouldn't wish on his worst enemy! It was a path filled with loneliness, fear, hatred, and trepidation.
 
Though Kanomaru had both his parents and family members that loved and adored him, that would not stop the manner in which demons would hunt him down.
 
`It won't stop them from despising him! It won't stop them from trying to kill him every chance they get!'
 
Memories flashed in his head of several overgrown ogres chasing him. He was five and no bigger than Kano was right now.
 
`It won't stop them from making his life nothing more than a game of do I kill you quickly or torture you slowly!'
 
He could still feel the way the rocks and sticks collided with his head, chest, and back when he was just a pup and had stumbled into a human village looking for food. He could remember the week…two-weeks…three-week-old smell of his own feces and urine… The smell of his own blood… The dark damp cellar he was thrown in and left to die in…
 
`It won't stop humans from fearing and hating him for being more than what they are and half of what they despise!'
 
It seemed like nothing more than a vicious cycle! All this hatred and rage…this pain! What did he do to anyone? He didn't ask to be born into this world? He didn't ask to be dealt the hand of a half-breed…a lowbred whelp!
 
`Who would ask for such a fucking thing?'
 
Inuyasha wasn't sure whether he was thinking about himself or his nephew anymore, but it didn't really matter, did it? The pain…this pain ripping through his chest was all the same! It did nothing but remind him of times…those times. When he'd have to run and hide for days on end. When he went without food for weeks, because he was too afraid of stumbling upon a human settlement and scared shitless of running into a demon of any kind shape or form.
 
Jumping to his feet, he stomped off and towards the nearest tree where he imbedded his fist repeatedly into its bark. “Those fucking bastards! That…that…He didn't do anything to him! Fuck! I'll fucking kill them,” he hissed.
 
Shippo watched in astonishment as his mentor, his friend broke down. `Does he know that he's crying?' He wanted to go to him and tell him that he was sorry he didn't protect Kano better, but he couldn't. Something told him that this pain that Inuyasha was feeling, these words of profanity that spilled from his lips in anger were directed at some unseen person or thing, from his past…from his life when he had no one.
 
Turning his attention away from the furious prince of dogs in an attempt to give him some privacy in his moment of need, the kit turned just in time to watch Sesshomaru carefully pick his son up and without a word walk off into the night.
 
Simonkal of Inuy
 
Jumping to her feet, Rin ran to the door having heard a commotion on the steps outside her home. “My love, did you find him?”
Immediately her mood turned bittersweet.
 
Sure she was happy to see her sister-in-law and her friends, but where was her son? Where was her husband…her mate?
 
Kagome's greeting was an enthusiastic, “Arigato Rin-chan, how are you?”
 
Looking around them, Rin replied, “I'm fine, but did you see Sesshomaru or Kanomaru on your way here?”
 
Stepping back Kagome finally noticed the redness of her eyes, and the distracted manner in which she greeted them. Whenever they came to visit, Rin was always overly excited and chipper. She always wore a sincere smile and greeted them with warm words.
 
Bowing honorably, Miroku replied, “No we didn't. Is something wrong?”
 
Resting her hand nervously over her chest, Rin sighed and stepped back from the door, “Please come in.”
 
“What's wrong? Did something happen?” the Miko inquired again as she stepped into the oversized foyer. `Something's wrong. First Shippo goes off and doesn't come back. Then Inuyasha has a bad feeling about something and ends up running off without an explanation and now this.'
 
As the tormented young mother stared at each of them her eyes came to rest on Joudama clinging to her mothers' side. `Kanomaru, where are you?' She tried to smile. She tried to hide the fear she was feeling, but looking at the little girl just made her worry even more. Trying to ignore the questions and the nagging voice that told her that this would not end well she blurted, “Please have a seat, I'll put on some water for tea.”
 
Staring at one another worriedly, Kagome, Sango and Miroku set down the bags they had been carrying. Stepping out of their sandals they each went into the sitting room as instructed.
 
Wrapping the ends of the white and yellow kimono she was wearing beneath her as she prepared to sit down, Kagome shouted, “Rin-chan, do you want some help in there?”
 
There was no reply.
 
Sitting her daughter on the cushion beside her, Sango whispered, “Kagome, I think something happened.”
 
Her voice holding just and ounce of panic, the Miko asked, “Rin, are you okay?” .
 
The woman in question walked slowly out of the kitchen carrying a tray with seven cups and a steaming pot of water that sat in the middle of the tray. She tried to smile as best she could, in an attempt to not worry them. Besides, it was totally possible that she herself was worried about nothing, right?
 
`Sesshomaru will be home any moment and he'll have my grinning little boy with him,' she told herself.
 
Stepping so that she was in the walkway between the kitchen and the sitting room she inhaled, then slowly exhaled, “Please forgive my rudeness. Kanomaru and Sesshomaru should be here shortly.”
 
As she finished that sentence, the door opened.
 
All eyes turned and froze on the emotionless cold face of the Inu Lord. Then traveled down to what he held in his arms. Kanomaru lay stretched out, his arm sticking out to one side, his head lulled back over his fathers' arm. His eyes were closed; blood covered the boy's chest and the white of his little hakama that he wore.
 
Sesshomaru did not turn to look or even address his guests. He just stared ahead at his mate who stood before him holding the tray. Her eyes locked on his own, her hands, arms, lips…her entire body trembling. He could hear her heart racing within her chest. He didn't want to speak, not even to say her name, because then this would be real. Then he would have to face the truth of what he was holding in his arms.
 
Miroku stood to his feet. He couldn't believe what he was seeing. Was that Kanomaru? Was he…was he dead? What happened to him? Taking a step forward, he looked up at Sesshomaru his mouth agape then stared down at the dark matted hair of the boy. There was so much blood! It coated almost everything, including portions of the white Lord's stark white Kimono and silver mane.
 
The silence in the room was broken…the tension turned up 10 extra notches as the tray that Rin was holding clattered to the floor. “No, no, no…” she whispered. Stepping away from her mate and her son's body, she mumbled almost incoherently, “He's not…Kanomaru. Where's my son?”
 
She didn't want to see this! This boy that he had brought home with him couldn't be her son, not her Kano who was so full of life! Not her son…not her boy who loved everything and everyone!
 
Stepping back so that she was on the bottom step, she screamed, “MY LOVE, WHERE'S MY SON?” Her legs collapsed beneath her, her shoulders slumped forward. Burying her face in her hands, she openly wept.
 
Kagome jumped to her feet and ran over to where the younger woman was sobbing uncontrollably. She didn't know what to say or do in a situation such as this, so she wrapped her arms tightly around her and tried to hide the tears that were slowly leaking from her own eyes.
 
The miko tried soothingly rocking Rin…she tried shushing her, but the woman only cried harder, which only caused her to weep more as well.
 
Sesshomaru stared down at his mate, his son clutched tightly in his grasp. He hadn't thought this through, had he? Actually, he hadn't thought at all. His only focus…his only goal was bringing Kanomaru home. Tearing his eyes away from his mate, he demanded, “Miko, take Rin up to our quarters.”
 
His heart lurched in his chest, as he passed Rin. No, he hadn't thought this through at all.
 
Until Next Time…(Please don't forget to review!!!)