InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Confrontation II: Trials and Tribulations ❯ Consequences ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A/N: As usual all characters not created by me, will be walking that thin line of OOCness; so don't tell me about it, because I don't want to hear it! I already know! Happy Thanksgiving to each and every one of you!! I hope you all have a very happy and safe turkey day with your some huge and some small families!! Now I'm off to go play the happy well centered niece, granddaughter, cousin, sister, and friend that my family thinks I am. (Grins sinisterly)
 
Disclaimer: With the exception of Kanomaru, Joudama, Susamajii, Mana, Rinji, Reinto and Teela. I do not have a freaking thing to do with the Inu-tachi gang. It sucks, I know, but it's the truth!!
 
Chapter 6:
 
Consequences
 
It had taken more patience than Sesshomaru was blessed with in order to get his mate to calm down and listen to him. The woman was the definition of hysterical, but who could blame her.
 
The way he walked into the house… The manner in which he presented their son to her… The mask of dread that he wore… No, he couldn't blame her for breaking down…for thinking that their son was dead. That's the way he had presented Kanomaru to her.
 
After she and the miko made it to the bedroom, he then ordered Kagome to stitch and clean his sons' wounds while he spoke privately with Rin.
 
Flashback
 
Stepping into the adjoining room that served as their dressing room, Sesshomaru slide the door closed behind him with one hand and pulled her into his arms with the other.
 
The words that he wanted to say… The things that he knew she desperately needed hear would not fall from his lips so he just held her tight to him as she cried into his chest, silently begging him to make this right.
 
It wasn't until she quieted slightly that he found the ability to say, “I'm sorry.” Which was something that he rarely, if ever, said.
 
“How could this happen, my love? Why would someone do something like this to him,” she inquired, her face buried in his chest. “He's only a pup…a baby,” sniffling, she continued, “He's a child! He would never hurt anyone!”
 
The truth of the matter was that this, was the life that they had given to him. By choosing to sire a child that was neither human nor demon, this was what they had done. Though the boy lived a protected life behind these walls, it would only take one slip up… One time for a demon to get their hands on him and he would be gone.
 
“Rin”
 
“Please my love, I can't live without him. I…I…he's our firstborn, you can bring him back… You will bring him back, won't you,” she pleaded softly, her strength slowly draining from her emotionally fatigued body.
 
Scooping the woman up in his arms, he walked over to the cushioned stool that stood in the far corner and sat down with her saddled comfortably in his lap. “That will not be necessary this time,” he stated softly.
 
She stared up at him, her eyes wide with uncertainty and hesitant hope.
 
“He's not dead, just unconscious from the loss of blood. Try to remember Rin, that he is a hanyou. What would kill a normal human will not kill him.”
 
“But you apologized, you never do that,” she replied, thinking that perhaps he was trying to spare her the heartache she was already feeling.
 
“This Sesshomaru apologized for not protecting his heir. He's sorry for…” His head relaxed forward resting against hers. “He's apologetic for giving such a life as this to his son, and years of worry and despair to his mate.”
 
Her beautiful brown orbs held confusion, `What is he saying?' Resting her palm on the side of his face she asked as tears came to her eyes once more, “What…What does this mean?”
 
How was he supposed to tell her? Hadn't he already tried on several occasions to tell her of the dangers Kano would be in? Hadn't he promised himself that she would never have to see this…go through this?
 
“What happened today will not be the last time. You know he's a hanyou and the heir to these lands; therefore the attacks on him will only become worse…more frequent, as he gets older.”
 
Swallowing hard she shook her head in a negative fashion, as if telling him she didn't want to hear anymore. She already knew this. She knew that they had to keep him safe, and they had up until today, hadn't they? She didn't want to hear anymore, she just wanted her child to be healthy and happy again, the way he was only hours ago. “Please don't. He's just a pup he'll be fine. I know you'll make sure of it, won't you?”
 
Yet again her unfailing faith in him, unnerved him, made it so that he couldn't breath, couldn't think. Unwilling to answer her question, to make a promise to her that he may one day be forced to break, he pulled her close and waited for the miko to finish cleaning his sons' lacerations.
 
End Flash Back
 
The Inu Lord now stood in a dark corner of their master suite, his golden gaze locked on the small bandaged mid section of his pup and the enchanting woman lying beside him. His thoughts were stuck somewhere between regrets and possibilities, what ifs and have-nots, or were they have-to's?
 
In the back of his mind he could still see the way Rin's heart broke right in front of him. He could still smell her tears and feel the sadness, fear and utter torment that her soul was going through the moment she laid eyes on their son.
 
He felt guilty…responsible for this travesty.
 
`What have I done?'
 
The last thing he wanted to do was endanger his pup…his offspring…his own flesh and blood, but isn't that exactly what he did? The moment he chose to mate with a human, the second he realized that his mate was pregnant and he accepted that fact. He had put Kano's life…her life in danger.
 
`Why wasn't I more careful? Why didn't I think this through before I took her as my mate? The ramifications…the ramifications of that one endearing act…the consequences were so great…so…irreversible.'
 
No matter what he said to himself, or which way his thoughts drifted he knew the truth. He had known all along.
 
He'd seen his father go through it, hadn't he? He'd seen him fall deeply for Izayoi. He watched her move into his fathers' life…heart like a thief in the night. Then just as quickly as she had come, Inutaisho had to reluctantly and with a severely heavy heart, have her removed. And placed back with her family. He'd hoped that she would be spared the wrath of the demons that sought to teach him a lesson for breaking their unspoken rule.
 
`Still, I followed in his footsteps. I threw caution to the wind. I forgot for one brief moment what was at stake and I took her. I made her mine… Sired an heir. I am truly my father's son. What have I done?'
 
What would he do now? He couldn't very well send Rin and Kanomaru away. That would do nothing but make a bad situation worse. That would leave them open for any and all attacks. No, that is not something that he would do, not now, not ever.
 
`Perhaps that's where father's mistake was made. If he hadn't sent her back to her family…if they had stayed here, maybe, just maybe he would've been able to protect her.'
 
He knew in his heart, though at the time he simply loathed the human woman, he would have still fought alongside his father if only to protect his land, his home, and his name-sake. Yes, he would've definitely fought.
 
`Does it matter anymore? The past is the past, the only thing I can do is try to change the future...his future…their future.'
 
He watched Rin reach out in her sleepy haze and softly rub the side of Kano's cheek. The only thought that came to his mind was, `Mine'.
 
Stepping up so that he was standing at the foot of the bed, he admitted to himself that regardless of the outcome, regardless of how many battles he would have to fight in order to keep them safe…in order to make sure that this never happened again. The decision that he made on that night, with Rin, was necessary to his very being.
 
`She…they are essential to this Sesshomaru. There is no doubt.'
 
This was his family…his legacy, he would protect them with his life…his blood. He would give his soul over to the demons of seven hells if need be, but they… He would make sure that neither one of them were ever hurt like this again.
 
Simonkal of Inuy
 
 
It was late into the night when Inuyasha finally arrived at the castle. He'd sent Shippo ahead of him because he needed time alone. He needed some time to reconcile his thoughts and deal with his anger.
 
Leaping on to the balcony of the room that he was more than sure he and Kagome would be using, since they stayed in the same room every time they came here. He peeped into the sliding door just in time to watch her roll over and snuggle deeper into the thin sheets that covered her.
 
In that moment…the second his eyes fell on her, he knew he couldn't put her through the agonizing pain of loosing a child, of facing the reality of blind racism. Wasn't it bad enough that she was now mated to a half-breed, but to give birth to one…wasn't that a tale in itself?
 
The entire time that he was roaming through the forest looking for something, anything to kill…maim, his thoughts kept going back to his childhood. The tears he heard and saw his mother shed for him. The pain he endured…the beatings…the loneliness that even to this day still wouldn't leave him alone.
 
`I couldn't do that to another person. I couldn't let a pup of mine experience that.'
 
Though he had never talked to Kagome about having pups or anything of the sort, he wasn't stupid. He knew women, especially human women, and they loved babies, as they called them.
 
He noticed the way her eyes would light up when she played with Joudama or Kano. He'd even caught her staring at him with a far off dazed look in her eyes when he held his nephew. Up until now he just ignored it, put it off…told himself that she was just daydreaming, when all along he knew the truth.
 
Basically he had been avoiding the topic. Skirting around it per se, but tonight, with the tears that still stung the air around him, and the smell of his only nephew's blood that hung in nostrils... The visions of the little lord's body lying limp and lifeless...
 
`No, I can't do that to her. I won't! She'll…she'll just have to understand!'
 
He silently thanked the Kami's Myoga had come to him the night of the final mating ceremony and informed him that he couldn't or rather wouldn't be able to reproduce like normal humans or demons did. Otherwise he was more than sure that they would have a litter of pups running around here, the way he was always after her.
 
Flashback
 
Squishing the flea youkai that was hungrily sucking blood from the side of his neck, Inuyasha snapped, “What in the hell are you doing here!”.
 
Popping back into his normal shape Myoga replied, “Milord, I just came to speak with you before I perform the ceremony for you and your mate.”
 
Settling back down on the log he had been using while waiting for Kagome to prepare, he snarled, “And what does that have to do with my blood, you leech?”
 
Snickering, the flea demon quickly wiped his mouth and jumped away before he was flattened again. “It was a rather long trip, you know. Besides it's not often that I'm able to eat so well.”
 
“Feh, whatever.”
 
Looking towards the starry sky then back down at the hanyou, the flea demon cleared his throat and began, “I need to advise you of something, Master Inuyasha.”
 
“Advise me? What the hell are you mumbling about? I don't need your damn advice about anything!”
 
“But milord, don't you want to know what it's about?”
 
“Keh, not really. You never say anything that I actually want to hear!”
 
Ignoring the ill-tempered mood of his superior, Myoga continued on anyway, knowing that it would only be a matter of time before he was flicked away. “Lord Inuyasha, it's imperative that you know that unless you want pups…”
 
Grabbing the flea, Inuyasha silenced him with a tight fist. “If you want to live to see tomorrow you'll shut the fuck up!” The last person he wanted to discuss this with was a fucking flea. And who in the hell would assume that he wanted any such thing?
 
With a defeated sigh, Myoga let his tiny head lull forward, `He never listens.'
 
Glaring threatening daggers at the flea, Inuyasha dropped him to the ground and began to walk away mumbling almost incoherently about stupid old fleas who didn't know how to mind their own damn business.
 
Deciding that it would be best if he kept his distance from Inuyasha until the ceremony, Myoga yelled, “Stay away from her on the night of the full moon!”
 
End Flashback
 
He hadn't thought about it before then, but it made sense. It was on those nights, even before he mated with her, while they tracked Naraku, he would always have the hardest time controlling himself around her. At those times he could feel his demon side begging to get out…too touch her…claim her in the most complete way possible.
 
He supposed that the night of the full moon was the opposite of the night of the new moon. It was when he was most potent, and virile, practically overflowing with demon seed and blood. That's why ever since then he stayed away from her or made sure to piss her off more than normal so that she didn't get any bright ideas.
 
Turning away from the window he gazed up at the moon, `Crescent.'
 
What some people may have called a curse he called a blessing, because with this special limitation he was almost certain that pups…children…babies, whatever you chose to call them, were not something that he and his mate would have to worry about.
 
`I won't do that to her. I won't let her go through what my mother did…what Rin has. I can't do that to her.'
 
“Why are you standing out here,” Kagome asked, as she stepped onto the balcony. The sheet she was just lying under was now pulled tightly around her shoulders.
 
He turned to look at her, his eyes shadowed by his bangs. Though she probably couldn't see the sadness in his gaze or read his woebegone thoughts he could see her clearly.
 
Her hair was disheveled in the most erotic way. She stood there wrapped in that thin sheet, with nothing beneath it except a pair of the thin panties that she took extra special care of and one of her baby doll T-shirts.
 
Though she wore kimonos during the day and carried on like any other woman from his time, at night in the confines of their home, she would only sleep in this, no more, no less.
 
Reaching out for her, he pulled her into his arms, “Sorry I took so long.”
 
The miko didn't respond. Instead she opened the sheet and wrapped it around the both of them.
 
Stepping closer to her heated body, he buried his face in the side of her neck and asked, “How's Kanomaru?”
 
Snuggling against his chest she replied with a sigh, “His wounds weren't as deep as we first thought, and Sesshomaru said he should be fine in a few days.” Looking up, she saw for the first time the sadness he was trying so hard to hide, “Inuyasha, are you… Is everything okay?”
 
He didn't reply right away, instead he tried to pull her closer and bury his nose deeper into the side of her neck. “I will be,” he responded solemnly.
 
“Inuyasha?”
 
He didn't respond as he picked her up and walked back into the room leaving the door cracked so that the cool breeze would flow through.
 
Laying her down, he pulled back as he slowly shook off his haori and laid his father's fang on the floor beside the bed.
 
Staring at him she wanted to ask a million questions, like what took him so long to get back and why was he in such a somber mood? But her heart told her that tonight he just needed to be held or either he needed to hold her. Which ever it was she would make sure that she was there for him.
 
Simonkal of Inuy
 
 
“Lord Susamajii, Moki failed to dispose of the boy.”
 
That wasn't a surprise to the silver-eyed Inu Lord of the Southern Lands. The only reason he sent such a lowly beast was to rattle Sesshomaru, to test the waters per se. He wanted to put him on edge…have him watching his back!
 
Yes, that's exactly what he wanted. He wanted the Lord of Stupidity's world to tremble, right before the walls around his ungodly life fell apart.
 
`That was almost too easy. I suppose…I suppose I could've had that whelp killed.' Chuckling quietly his thought continued, `But what would be the fun in that?'
 
The morning after his private tirade Susamajii decided that the best way to handle this situation, was to be Machiavellian. After all, only a fool would charge into the Western land without a plan, no matter how much right…or power one had.
 
Susamajii knew he had concocted the perfect plan. He wouldn't force Sesshomaru to choose between his human bitch and the whelp that shouldn't have ever been born, or his lands. No, he wouldn't do that.
 
He would make it so that the decision was made without the bastard Lord knowing what happened until it was too late…too late to fix and too late to save. Then and only then would he eviscerate him, his kin and take all that he, the Lord of Pricks had turned his back on, for that despicable bitch!
 
Taking in his Lord's every move, Reinto stated, “There is more.”
 
Standing to his feet the tips of his long silver mane scraped the floor as he walked slowly towards the huge fireplace that was built of the finest eastern marble. He remembered sitting before it many, many centuries ago, when he was just a pup. He'd stare into the burning flames for hours as idiotic dreams of what his future would be like danced around his mind.
 
Reaching above the oversize mantel, he slowly grasped his sheathed sword as another memory played before him.
 
He saw his father's body fall to the ground as a dull almost deafening thud echoed through the room. Then he watched in slow motion, as the head of his sire…the only youkai he had ever feared, rolled…wobbled across the polished floor.
 
This memory would have made most people grimace or shudder but not Susamajii. He chuckled and tried not to outright laugh at the image of the `Great Lords' shocked face as it bounced sluggishly against the far wall of the room.
 
Susamajii inquired, his tone soft almost as if he was bored, “Will you make me ask you what that more, might be?”
 
Bowing lower to the floor Reinto replayed what he was informed of in his head. “It seems that Lord Sesshomaru and his younger brother are no longer at odds. They were seen in the clearing together when the hanyou pup was attacked.”
 
Pulling the sword slowly from its perfectly crafted sheath Susamajii thought, `Father would you have given me this, if you knew that you would've been my first victim?' Dropping the sheath to the floor, he stared at the brilliant blade and the reflection of the silver orbs that stared back at him, `So Sesshomaru has made amends with the half-breed, has he?' Shrugging his shoulders offhandedly, he grunted quietly as his thoughts continued, `It matters not. What will be; will be. I will make sure of it.'
 
Turning, he waved for Reinto to stand as he lifted the blade of the sword to his mouth and slowly ran it across the taste buds on his tongue. Closing his eyes, he savored the remnants of the dried, aged, droplets of youkai and human blood. “Where is Teela?”
 
“Milord, she is with the others.”
 
“Tell her to prepare. Her services…” Susamajii chuckled, “Tell her we have a long trip a head of us. Make haste, Reinto, we leave at dawn.”
 
“Of course Lord Susamajii,” the younger dog demon stated as he bowed and retreated from the room.
 
Lord Susamajii paid no attention to the younger Inu youkai or the hesitant look that graced his perfect features. The Southern Lord's mind was miles away in the lands of the west…the lands that were now being run by a human loving traitor. `Soon Sesshomaru…soon.'
 
Until Next Time…(Please, don't forget to leave me your .02 cents)