InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Confrontation II: Trials and Tribulations ❯ Indifferent Truths ( Chapter 12 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A/N: As always all characters not created by me will be walking that fine, almost transparent line of OOCness. This time I seriously don't have much to say, I'm actually drained at the moment. I went to bed at 5 am this morning, woke up at 11 and it now 3 pm and still I haven't awakened fully yet. Not to mention I think I'm getting a sty on my left eye, and that sucks major butt! Anyway thanks to all of you for you unwavering support!! Be blessed and enjoy!!
 
Disclaimer: I do not claim ownership to anyone with the exception of Kanomaru, Joudama, Mana, Rinji, Teela and Susamajii.
 
Chapter 12:
 
Indifferent Truths
 
The quarter-moon lit up the sky above him, giving a supernatural glow to everything around him. It caused the massive trees that loomed above and about him to seem even more intimidating and aged, than he was sure they appeared in broad daylight.
 
The aura of this place…this forest was one that he was not accustomed to. The small creatures, crickets, owls, and cicadas all seemed to give off the essence of serenity. It was as if they knew that by being near this place…this palace would insure their safety.
 
Stepping out from beneath the shadow of the forest, Reinto spared a moment to listen to the waves breaking on the rocks that sat below the cliff to the west of him. Turning his attention away from the soothing sound, he stared up at the monstrosity that sat before him.
 
The wall had to be at least 15 to 20 ft high, made of thick robust cinderblocks, stacked in a pattern he couldn't quite discern. Running a clawed hand along the bricks he walked slowly down the length of the partition to the enormous wooden gates that were large enough to allow a full grown Inu youkai in full demonic form to walk through without touching either side.
 
`Sesshomaru, what are you trying to keep out, or is it in?'
 
Reinto knew that if he wanted to, he could, with little effort leap over the wall, but for now he was only here to stake out the lay of the land and nothing more.
 
Continuing past the gates his thoughts continued, `Perhaps he's not trying to keep anything out. If one was to, with premeditation and malice, enter his grounds over the wall instead of through the opened gates, he could without fear of retaliation, cut them down.' Smirking dryly, he finished, `It is conceivable that you, Lord Sesshomaru, are not as dense as Lord Susamajii suspects.'
 
Reinto had jumped at the chance to leave the company of Susamajii and Teela for this little excursion. It wasn't that he did not enjoy his master's company, he just didn't particularly care for the youkai bitches odor, sound of her voice, or the way she seemed to think that the world revolved around her. More importantly, Sesshomaru and his ability to unknowingly crawl beneath the southern lord's skin intrigued him to unheard of heights.
 
In his many year of servitude to Susamajii, Reinto had met many demon lords, but never the elusive Lord of the West. In the beginning very little was mentioned about the youkai, but after word reached of his impromptu decision to take on a human mate… Quite honestly it sent the Inu youkai… the entire youkai world into an unbridled tizzy.
 
How it was calmed downed, he hadn't a clue.
 
In the beginning there were meetings upon meetings with demons from every region discussing ways to unseat the Lord. There were threats of invasions and promises of bloodshed, if he wasn't removed. Demons came from all four corners of Japan and the continent pledging allegiance to the Lord that dethroned and disposed of the Tai-youkai that had dishonored their race…their bloodline in such a way.
 
But just as quickly as the threats began, they ended. There were no more whispers, no more promises, and no more alliances were formed with the expressed purpose of bringing harm to the Lord and his pregnant mate. Nothing, absolutely nothing happened until the Imp delivered that invitation.
 
`How ironic, that such a small inconsequential gesture of goodwill has brought your life as you know it…to an end, Sesshomaru. If only I could have met you under different circumstances, perhaps there would have been much that I could've learned from you.'
 
Truth be told, Reinto didn't care whether the Lord in question was mated to a ninjen, youkai, half-breed, or an animal, it mattered not to him. His belief was, to each it's own. However, had he ever voiced that expressed opinion, it would have ended in nothing less than the spilling of his very own blood.
 
From as early as he could remember he was trained…taught…brainwashed to hate any and everything that was not youkai…everything that was not stronger than he, and so he did. He set his feelings…his desires…his beliefs aside and lived as the hunter…the assassin he was created to be. Caring little for anyone and doing what he was told. Until on one of his many missions he found compassion… a taste of empathy… The knowledge that what he had once believed was not totally true.
 
`And still I live this lie…this life, because this is all that I know. My life…' He growled low in his throat causing angry vibration to bounce of his ribs. `My life belongs to Lord Susamajii; I will live as he wishes. I have no other recourse.'
 
His earliest memory was from the age of four. He was barely old enough to understand much or grasp the reality of what was happening. But what he knew…what he remembered was the smells and the screams. He remembered …relived the ache in his chest as he ran as fast and as far as he could away from the destruction…away from the scent of his mothers tears…from the smell… the overwhelming odor of his fathers' blood, that still even as a grown man haunted his dreams.
 
Shaking his head, he locked those memories away once more. What was the point in reliving them? He never figured out anything new, it was always the same. It always led to the beginning of his life… this life that he cared very little for. It led to the only person that helped him through the pain and confusion he felt back then.
 
`Lord Susamajii'
 
Noticing movement at his right, Reinto stepped away from his private thoughts and into covert mode. Leaping stealth-fully into the branches of a nearby tree he watched what looked like a mutated form of an ogre step out of the forest and towards the wall.
 
Sniffing in an attempt to memorize it's scent he thought, `Such a lowly creature is willing to tempt fate, by scaling this wall? Foolish creature.' His thoughts stopped abruptly when he noticed a soft blue light appear around the manlike beast and watched him walk through the wall as if it wasn't even there.
 
Jumping from the branch to the ground the bewildered Inu-youkai thought, `What kind of black magic is this?' Proceeding over to the area where the thing had just walked through, he ran his hand over every inch of the perimeter feeling for any sign of weakness. `How was that possible?' Sniffing the air around him he grinned slyly and sprang up to the top of the wall.
 
Reinto sat perched upon the wall, his legs bent so that he was squatting and his hands positioned between his legs resting on the wall to hold him steady. Staring out over the massive peace of land before him, he allowed his eyes to roam over the enormous palace that sat a few yards away from him.
 
He quickly took in the winding porch that seemed to wrap around the entire estate... The many floor to ceiling windows, each dark, showing no signs of life inside. Then his eyes fell on the huge doors that were as of this moment, the only thing standing between him and the Lord of the West.
 
`Sesshomaru, do you sleep even now with the enemy being this close? Can you not sense that I'm here trespassing on what is yours? Surely you can't be that enamored with your human mate. Or can you?'
 
His eyes drifted away from the home and towards the many gardens, each one bigger than the next. They were each so illustrious that he knew a simple man of any kind could not have taken care of them in such a way. The trees were in full bloom; the grass from what he could see in the moonlight, was the deepest richest shade of green he'd ever seen. `Surely this is the work of an elemental demon…' He thought as his eyes came to rest on the creature that had garnered his undivided attention. Sprinting along the top of the wall with the dexterity of a feline, his thoughts finished, `Or perhaps it's the work of a half-breed.'
 
Leaping from the wall he landed directly behind the ogre whose back was to him. Placing his hand quickly over it's mouth, Reinto stated quietly through clenched teeth while pushing the creature forcefully against the wall of what appeared to be a stable of some sort. “Cry out and I will kill you where you stand. You will answer my questions and ask none, do we understand each other?” His only response was a rapid head nod and a spike in the deformed creatures aura.
 
“What is your name and why are you here in the middle of the night,” the dog demon asked while methodically sliding his hand down from the things mouth to wrap it tightly around its neck.
 
“P…Please don't hurt…I work…garden.”
 
`So he takes care of the gardens.' Tightening his hold, Reinto forced the hanyou's face more firmly against the wall of the stable, “Your name?”
 
“Pl…Please…no…hurt.”
 
His animalistic nature took over. He could smell the things scent, its fear and it made him hungry for more. Pulling his sword from its sheath, he leveled the tip to the back of its head. “Your name or your life,” he hissed coldly.
 
“Name…Jinenjii. No…hurt…no hurt…please.”
 
`Jinenjii, eh? Sesshomaru, have you taken to surrounding yourself with nothing but lowly creatures? Have you really fallen as low as Susamajii suspects?' Figuring that he would more than likely get the half-breed to tell him whatever he desired to know, Reinto began his inquisition, “How did you walk through the wall?”
 
“Jinenjii never know. Pretty miko tell him to come, so he come. I…It's always the same way. Jinenjii walk through wall always.”
 
Reinto knew that it had to be the truth. Quite honestly the Jinenjii character was scared too shitless to lie to him. Deciding to venture into other areas of things he was supposed to find out, he inquired, his tone slow, sadistic, “Where are the guards? Why aren't they at the gates?”
 
“Don't know. Jinenjii takes care of gardens, that's all.”
 
Narrowing his eyes at the back of the ogre's head, Reinto knew if he found out anything at all, it wouldn't be too much. This hanyou more than likely knew nothing of the goings on of this estate. It was more than possible that he had never actually met the hanyou pup or the human mate of Sesshomaru, but who was this pretty miko he was babbling about? Jamming the point of his blade against the base of his subject's neck, he hissed, “The miko you spoke of, what does she have to do with the Lord of this castle?”
 
Jinenjii bristled abrasively. Had he just gotten his only true friend in trouble? Why was this youkai asking him about her? Did he mean to cause her harm? Turning his head in an attempt to look at the youkai behind him, he was rewarded with his head being smashed closer to the wall and a deep vicious growl from his assailant. “You no hurt pretty miko! She Jinenjii only friend! She not hurt anyone. You no hurt her!”
 
Tugging back on the single patch of hair that hung from the ogre's head, Reinto hissed, “Who is she and what's her relationship to the Lord of this Estate. Tell me now, or I'll make it so that you never groom another fucking tree!”
 
“You no hurt her! Jinenjii won't let you hurt her!”
 
Reinto inhaled in an attempt to cool his temper, then hissed, “What exactly do you think you can do to stop me?”
 
Jinenjii was quiet, stilled in his resolve that he would not betray Kagome's trust in him. He would not speak another word until this youkai promised he wouldn't hurt her.
 
Reinto was realizing quickly that regardless of what he did to this Jinenjii character or threatened him with, he would not speak of the miko, not if he thought she would be hurt in someway. `Such loyalty.' Had they been out in the open away from this palace, he would have beat him to pulp, but he couldn't do that, not now. He'd already crossed the line when he crossed the wall.
 
Deciding that this would probably go by a lot quicker if he let the ogre believe what he wanted, Reinto stated as believingly as he could, “Fine, I won't hurt her, if you tell me her relationship to the Lord.”
 
Jinenjii thought about that for a moment then stated quietly, “Don't know Lord. Miko…Ka…Kagome close friends with hanyou with big sword.”
 
Reinto smiled to himself, `Could he be talking about Sesshomaru's younger brother? Is the miko?' Glancing up at the house he saw movement in one of the windows. Pushing Jinenjii against the wall he knew he'd need to get the hell out of there as soon as possible, for now he'd found out enough. “Whom will you tell about this encounter?”
 
Jinenjii may have been slow, but he wasn't stupid. “Jinenjii have no one to tell. Please no hurt. Jinenjii must work now…must work.”
 
“Good, very good.” Stepping back his blade still pricking the flesh at the base of the half-breeds neck, Reinto hissed in a low sadistic tone, “If you speak a word of this Jinenjii, I will make sure that miko's head sits right below yours on a stake as I parade it through this town and the next, do you understand?”
 
“Jinenjii understands. He no speak of this, to no one. Please no hurt Miko, no hurt Jinenjii.”
 
There was no reply; the demon was gone just as quickly as he had come.
 
Turning around quickly, the flustered ogre scanned the area around him but found no one. “Bad demon…very bad demon,” he whispered as he checked his surroundings once more. He didn't like people of any kind. In his eyes they were all ruthless and judgmental. Quick to judge him for what he looked like, instead of for whom he was inside. And this demon was no better than the rest. Of that he was certain.
 
All he wanted was to do his job and get back to his home before the sun came up. He didn't want to bring harm to his only friend the miko or himself and he hoped that by chance…by the grace of the Kami's he hadn't. So he would keep this night…this altercation to himself.
 
On the other side of the wall, Reinto sheathed his sword and stared back at the wall, “Lord Sesshomaru, forgive my trespasses, but unfortunately I have a job to do.” Disappearing back into the foliage he couldn't help the unsettling feeling that wormed it's way through his head, down to his stomach, and back again.
 
No, for some unknown reason, this mission unlike the others just didn't sit right with him.
 
Simonkal of Inuy
 
 
Sliding the door to his room closed behind him, Inuyasha stepped quietly into the dark hallway and sighed in a defeated manner. Leaning back against the door he allowed his head to loll forward and his shoulders to slump.
 
`Damn'
 
He had tried talking to Kagome when she came back from her bath but she wouldn't even acknowledge his existence. He tried making her laugh. He even resorted to apologizing by calling himself a complete and total ass, but even that didn't work.
 
After she put her belongings away and quietly crawled into the bed he'd even tried snaking his arms around her waist and curling up behind her, but her aura… It was like it had a life of it's own. It sizzled…crackled…hummed as if warning him to keep his distance.
 
`If I hadn't backed away, would she have really zapped me?'
 
Quite honestly he had never seen her that mad at him before, and he knew he had done some heinous things in the past.
 
Moving away from the door he began to slowly meander through the dark desolate hallways of his father's home. The home that he would watch from a distance when he was just a pup… The home he fantasized about being welcomed into.
 
`Feh'
 
Pushing those thoughts to the back of his mind, Inuyasha allowed his thoughts to revert back to his pissed off mate and the reason for her ire.
 
`I didn't think she would get that pissed. Hell, all did was make a statement. It's not like I said, “No, Kagome I don't ever want pups. Or you as a mother would be absurd.” Damn, all I said was I hope she doesn't get pregnant anytime soon.' Descending the stairs he mumbled, “Wench, acts like I said I hate pups or something.”
 
Even though he was trying to make light of their current situation, he knew that it would more than likely only get worse from here. After all, he still had to tell her that in all honesty he really didn't want any pups. At least not right now.
 
`She'll never understand.'
 
Reaching the bottom step he started to turn toward the kitchen since he was feeling a little hungry, but refrained when he noticed a still body laying in the sitting room. Sniffing lightly, Inuyasha frowned and entered the room. Kicking that the cushion, he stated, “Oi, get your ass up!”
 
Miroku moaned and rolled over, but didn't budge right away.
 
Kicking the pillow beneath his head, Inuyasha hissed, “Monk, if Sesshomaru catches you, he'll skin you! Now get up.”
 
“Yeah, yeah,” Miroku mumbled, lethargically pushing himself up into a sitting position.
 
Staring down at his friend with something akin to confusion marring his brow, Inuyasha wondered, `Why in the hell is he sleeping down here?'
 
“I didn't realize that I had fallen asleep. I only came down here to meditate,” the Houshi stated while rubbing his eyes with the back of his fist.
 
“I don't really care why you're down here, just don't let Sesshomaru catch you. You know his stuck up ass would have a fucking fit.”
 
Miroku chuckled, but didn't respond to that right away. He really hadn't realized that he'd fallen asleep. When he left Sango he told himself that he would meditate for a while in order to get his anger in check then turn in. How the minutes turned into hours, he hadn't a clue. “What time is it?”
 
“Your guess is as good as mine, but it has to be near morning. I can smell the dew beginning to fall outside,” Inuyasha replied, while rubbing his stomach hungrily.
 
“What are you doing up this early,” Miroku inquired, sleepily.
 
Inuyasha was in no way shape or form about to tell the Monk the truth so he grunted nonchalantly and told a half-truth, “I was hungry.”
 
Standing to his feet, Miroku stretched his arms high over his head and yawned. His body ached from the uncomfortable position he was laying in, but he knew Inuyasha was right. Sesshomaru would have definitely had a cow had he caught him sleeping in his sitting room. Sure the Inu Lord had mellowed out when it came to dealing with humans, but he was still just as formal as ever.
 
Rubbing the back of his head the recovering lech shuffled over to the floor to ceiling window. Parting the sheer panels that hung between the heavy drapes that decorated both ends of the window, he peered into the darkness before him.
 
Fog lay thick about the ground. It wrapped around the base of the trees, hid the Koi ponds and glowed eerily in the waning moonlight.
 
“Do you think there's anything in there to eat,” he asked while trying to shake the foreboding feeling that was slowly leaking into his very being. He wasn't sure if it was the fog or the ominous darkness before him, but he knew he didn't like it.
 
“Keh, I could care less. If there isn't, I'll just go catch something.”
 
Glancing over his shoulder with a look close the disgust on his face, Miroku responded, “Don't tell me you'd eat what you caught, raw.”
 
Staring at his companions back, Inuyasha grunted and turned towards the kitchen. Perhaps going to catch something wasn't the smartest thing to do right now. He didn't really like eating raw food if he didn't have to and with Kagome pissed and the rest of the women sleeping there was no one to cook it for him. “Maybe there's some left over dumplings or something in here.”
 
Turning his attention to the stable Miroku replied, “Let's pray to Kami there is.” He didn't want to even entertain the idea of his friend acting like nothing more than a ravenous animal. Noticing movement he narrowed his eyes and stared more intently at the corner of the stable, “Inuyasha, I think there something out there.”
 
The hanyou stopped, but didn't respond.
 
“Over by the stable, I think I just saw something moving.”
 
“It's probably just Jinenjii.”
 
“After what happened to Kano, you don't want to check it out?”
 
Proceeding into the kitchen, the Inu prince responded, “I don't really sense anything, except a weak aura. It has to be Jinenjii, besides who would be foolish enough to trespass on this bastards' property?”
 
“Perhaps you're right,” the Monk responded, but continued to stare more intently at the area. Though he had never formally met the half demon he had heard a lot about him from Kagome and Inuyasha. `That's right; Sesshomaru has him in his employ as the grounds keeper.' Stepping away from the window he sighed again, `Maybe I'm just edgy because of my troubles with Sango.' Shaking his head he directed his attention to the room the hungry hanyou had disappeared into.
 
Stepping into the room he stopped and stared at the hanyou that was sniffing any and every container that even slightly resembled food. “So did you find anything?”
 
Dropping a container to the floor, Inuyasha snatched up another one, “Nothing worth eating.” Dropping that one next to the other four he'd already sniffed, he picked up a packaged wrapped in some kind of paper that he'd never seen before. Eyeing it curiously he, brought it up to his nose and sniffed.
 
“What you got there?”
 
“Don't know, but it smells sweet.”
 
“So open it,” the monk demanded, stepping closer to his friend so that he could peer over his shoulder.
 
“They look like some kind of nuts of something,” Inuyasha stated holding one of the peanut looking things between his thumb and forefinger. Sniffing it, he stated, “It doesn't smell like poison.” Turning to Miroku, he shoved it in his face and ordered, “Eat it.”
 
“Why don't you eat it? If it's poison, you'd have a better chance of surviving.”
 
“Yeah, well if I didn't survive, I'd end up taking Kagome with me. Wouldn't you rather loose one friend than two?”
 
Shoving Inuyasha's hand away, Miroku replied, “So, I have a daughter and a wife that needs me.”
 
Pushing the nut closer to Miroku's mouth as if he was about to force feed him, the hanyou replied as if it was a no brainer, “I'll take care of them for you, don't worry.”
 
Staring at his friend Miroku found it hard to believe that he was serious, but the look on his face told him just that. “Uhm, no thanks, I'm not that hungry.” He stated stepping back.
 
“Feh, suit yourself,” Inuyasha responded with a smirk then popped one of the nuts in his mouth.
 
“Hey, I thought you said it was poison.”
 
Storing the rest of the packages away, with the exception of the nuts, Inuyasha replied, “I didn't say that, you assumed that it was, so I let you.”
 
“Well why did you ask me to try it first if you knew it wasn't poison?”
 
Crunching down on the nut, Inuyasha stood to his feet and proceeded around the Monk, “They're pretty good to. Too bad you didn't want to try it first.”
 
“Oi, where are you going?”
 
Pulling the front door open, “Where does it look like I'm going? It doesn't make much sense to go back to bed now, does it?”
 
Stepping out into the predawn air behind his friend, the Monk eyed the nuts curiously, “Can I have just one?”
 
“Nope,” Inuyasha mumble jamming another handful in his mouth.
 
“Come on, let me try one. Besides what if they belong to Sesshomaru, don't you want to have someone to share the blame with?”
 
“Feh, I hope they are his. His stuck up ass owes me way more than some fucking nuts.”
 
Licking his lips, Miroku asked, “What's that white stuff on them?”
 
“Dried honey…I think. Or maybe it's some kind of sugar.” Popping a few more in his mouth he added, “Damn these are good.”
 
At that moment Miroku's stomach growled. Grabbing it, he looked up pitifully and whined, “Come on Inuyasha, just give me a few…a handful. That'll be enough to hold me over until breakfast.”
 
“Not on your life, Monk.”
 
Sighing in a defeated manner, Miroku crossed his arms over his chest and set down on the step he was standing on, “I hope you don't teach your children your selfish ways.”
 
Inuyasha stared at the monk, his jaw frozen mid bite. Why did the monk have to go there? He'd forgotten about his argument with Kagome, if only for a few minutes. `Fucking lech,' he thought heatedly as he turned away so that Miroku couldn't see his face.
 
The truth was, he wouldn't get to teach his pup anything. He wouldn't get to watch him take his first step or speak his first word. He wouldn't be forced to wake up in the middle of the night because the little runt didn't feel like sleeping. He wouldn't get to watch Kagome's stomach grow or to see the heavenly glow on her face that he'd seen on other women's faces when they were with child. There would be no feeling the unborn pup kick his hand through her overgrown womb.
 
No, he wouldn't get to teach his pup his selfish ways. Hell, he wouldn't get to teach him or her one fucking thing, because he…he just couldn't do that to Kagome, no matter how much she probably wished for it. Children…pups, just wasn't in their future.
 
All of a sudden, Inuyasha's appetite left him. Instead he was left feeling queasy…sick…disgusted even. Who was he to make such a decision for both of them, without giving her a chance to voice her opinion?
 
`I know what it's like to be a hanyou…a half-breed. That's what gives me the right. She…She doesn't have a clue. All she'll see is an innocent little pup…a child…our child. Her eyes will be closed to the world around us. The hatred…the racism…the blood yet to be spilled… She won't hear the snide hateful whispers, or the secret plots to take her and the pup's life. But I will and…and he or she will.'
 
Though he knew deep down that this was an infallible truth, it did nothing to ease the unsettling feeling that snaked…twisted through him, trying to devour every ounce of his sensibility. He hated her being upset at him. The switch in her mood… The manner in which she ignored him after her bath…
 
`Even so, I can't…I can't… What she'll see as a blessing will be nothing more than a curse. Even if she hates me, I can't do that to her. I can't give her what she wants.'
 
Inuyasha sighed heavily, his fist tightening around the handful of sugarcoated nuts remaining. He didn't want her to remain upset at him, but if he had to choose between a life full of grief and tears for her or her being upset with him for a few days…weeks…maybe even months. He'd always choose the latter of the two.
 
“Inuyasha, are you okay,” Miroku asked, noticing the wayward look in his friends' eyes.
 
“Feh, I'm fine,” he snapped, while shoving the remaining nuts in the Monks hand. “Here, have the damn nuts, now go back to your wife and leave me the hell alone!”
 
Miroku happily took what the hanyou offered and disregarded his statement altogether. After all, he didn't expect anything different from the surly hanyou. Throwing a few of the delicacies into his mouth, he mumbled, “ Unfortunately, that my friend, is not an option.”
 
“Feh, whatever! Do what the fuck you want, just leave me alone,” Inuyasha mumbled while standing to his feet.
 
The Houshi didn't know what to think of his companions vicious mood swing, but he knew to ask about it, would surely be nothing but a waste of time. The hanyou never spoke to anyone other than Kagome about what was bothering him, and even then, she'd have to practically drag it out of him.
 
Staring at Inuyasha's back as he walked down the steps and into the yard, Miroku's mind ventured back to the goings on, or rather not goings on of his own relationship.
 
Was he being foolish by expecting his wife to be intimate with him? Was he that far off base when it came to marriage? Surely other men didn't have to beg and plead for their significant other's attention. He understood that they now had a child that he loved and adored with every fiber of his being, but when did that make it okay to just disregard the other spouse's feelings?
 
Miroku felt like he was loosing his mind! When they were together and in the company of other's, everything was as it always had been… It was like it should be. But behind closed doors or when they were alone…
 
`She's driving me crazy! All I want is to touch her…hold her, but I can't! She won't let me! She's my wife, I should be able to do as I wish, damn it! How many wet dreams can one man have? My Kami Sango…' Miroku thought with a grimace.
 
He was tired of waking in the middle of the night with a hard on. He was tired of pleasing himself as if he was nothing more than some kind of sick pathetic immoral vagabond! He was a married man, damn it! He wanted his wife, the woman he had promised his life to! The woman that he hoped would have more than one child for him!
 
Glancing down at the remaining nuts in his hand, he suddenly didn't have an appetite anymore. “Inuyasha, you can have these back. I…I don't really have much of an appetite anymore.”
 
Refusing to even turn and face the monk Inuyasha's only response was an indifferent grunt.
 
Sighing, Miroku sat the remaining nuts on the step beside him and stood to his feet. Taking another minute to stare at his friend that was clearly lost in his own world he turned and walked towards the cliffs he'd seen Sesshomaru stand at on a few occasions.
 
`Maybe…Maybe Sango and I aren't the only ones going through a rough patch.'
 
Until Next Time…(Please don't forget to review)