InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Confrontation II: Trials and Tribulations ❯ Disquieting Feelings ( Chapter 13 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A/N: As always all characters will be walking that fine line of OOCness, because that's the way I like it. Hi guys!! Sorry for the long wait, I've been giving this fic an overhaul, grammatically. I told you guys that it was nominated for Best Canon, but unfortunately it was also DQ'd (disqualified); now, after painstakingly going over every word, period, comma, semi colon, etc., it's been reinstated (YAY!!) So it's all good, you guys can still vote for it come voting time, if you're a member of the Guild, that is. I really must say that I've learned a lot about writing this past week. So much so that I feel like I've taken English 101 all over again. Anyway the point to my rambling it this, `Know that as you read this, it is truly more labor than love. That being said; thanks for all your wonderful reviews and support!! (Bows gracefully)
 
Disclaimer: I do not claim ownership to anyone with the exception of Kanomaru, Susamajii, Reinto, Teela, Mana, Rinji, and Joudama. Damn, that a mouth full.
 
Chapter 13:
 
Disquieting Feelings
 
“Now that Kanomaru is out of danger, I must pay a visit to an old acquaintance.”
 
Turning slightly as she straightened the edges of her cream colored obi, Rin inquired softly, “How long will you be gone?”
 
Sesshomaru continued to stare out the window of their bedroom, his arms bent comfortably behind him, “Perhaps a day.”
 
“You know, Kanomaru will want to go with you.”
 
“I'm aware of that.”
 
Turning to face her mate whom was still turned away from her, Rin couldn't help but to wonder why he seemed so somber. They had just had a wonderful night of love making, and for the first time in a very long time, they didn't have to share their bed with their rambunctious son. Smiling shyly at her thoughts, she stepped towards him.
 
She wanted to ask him whom he was going to see, but she knew if she did, he wouldn't respond. So she forwent any further thoughts of interrogation and stated, “How exactly do you plan on getting away without him knowing? You do remember the last time you did that, he threw quite the fit and didn't sleep or eat the entire time that you were gone.”
 
Sesshomaru didn't respond. He remembered that clearly.
 
There was a village to the far North that was being attacked relentlessly by Serpent demons. He and Rinji had little time to plan once the news came in, so they headed out immediately. Upon his return, two days later, he found the boy sitting on the steps of their home in the rain. Rin stood just behind him holding an umbrella, in an attempt to keep him dry. Kanomaru had clung to him for a week straight, refusing to let him out of his sight for even a moment.
 
He later found out from Rin, that the pup had destroyed his room and tried on several different occasions to scale the wall that surrounded their home in an attempt to follow him. If it hadn't been for Jakken and Mana, on a few of those attempts, he would've succeeded.
 
The Inu Lord sighed lightly. His intention was not to take his son with him on this trip, but he didn't want to leave the boy in such a miserable state either. Before he was mated, such things would have seemed trivial, but now… Well, now he was a father and regardless of how pathetic it made him seem, he didn't want to see his son in such a state of again. What father would?
 
“My love, maybe it will be fine this time. After all, Inuyasha and the other's are still here, so it's not like he'll be alone,” Rin stated while walking up behind him. Snaking her arms around his waist, she drew close to him. “I know wherever you're going and whomever you're going to see, it must be for an important reason. So go ahead, Inuyasha can handle him and besides, Mana will be returning today as well.”
 
Sesshomaru turned so that he could glance at her over his shoulder, one eyebrow raised higher than the other. Still, he didn't respond. Lifting his arm, he pulled her so that she was standing directly in front him. “You wouldn't be trying to get rid of this Sesshomaru, would you?”
 
Rin giggled and tipped up on her toes so that she could place a soft kiss to his lips. “I would never think of doing such a thing.”
 
Tightening his hold on her waist, Sesshomaru pulled her close and whispered, “Let's hope not.”
 
Smiling sweetly up at him, she stated, “What would I do without you?”
 
“Raise our pup?”
 
Narrowing her eyes, Rin leaned back and stared up at him. Was there more to his statement? Or was it just that, a statement. Changing the subject since she didn't ever want to entertain the thought of not having her knight in white, she asked with a smirk, “Will you join us for breakfast or do you plan on slipping off the balcony this time?”
 
“Are you insinuating that this Sesshomaru is afraid to face his heir?”
 
Rin openly laughed and twisted out of his hold. Walking towards the door she stated in a matter of fact tone, “Well he is his father's son, is he not?”
 
Sesshomaru stared after her as she slid the door open then quickly closed it behind her. He could hear her giggling all the way down the hall and towards his son's room, he was sure. `How dare she insinuate such a thing! I simply don't wish to be grilled by a 4 year old.' Turning his attention back to the newly waking world he slid the balcony door open and stepped out into the morning air. `This Sesshomaru is not afraid of his heir.' And that was the absolute truth. What he really didn't want to deal with was the tantrum that was sure to come. `The whelp is entirely too attached to me.'
 
Inhaling deeply, he allowed the sound of the waves breaking just below the cliff and the salt in the air to wash over him. How he loved the quiet morning hours, when not even the birds had fully awakened. It allowed him just a moment's peace before the world…the real world…the violent world that he lived in, came crashing back down upon him.
 
Stepping further onto the balcony so that he was leaning against the railing, he stared down at his grounds. `Jinenjii must have come last night,' he thought briefly, noticing that the shrubs and trees were newly pruned and the Koi ponds were free of moss and all free falling leaves. Staring off to the right and towards the ocean, he immediately noticed the Monk sitting, seemingly mediating at the edge of the cliff.
 
Grunting irritably, Sesshomaru looked away and back towards the wall that surrounded his home. Something seemed off, out of the ordinary, but he didn't know exactly what it was. Maybe it was the human now sitting in an area that was until now, off limits. Perhaps it was because for the first time in a long time, Kano didn't awake with him. Unless or maybe…just maybe it was because he had been staring for the past 45 minutes at his idiotic brother, who was passed out on top of the wall that surrounded his home, looking like nothing more than a homeless peasant!
 
Inuyasha lay stretched out on his back, one leg hanging limply to either side of the wall, his snow-white hair falling lazily down the side of the wall. Sesshomaru had to admit that the position seemed rather comfortable, but only a true mongrel would sleep in such a fashion and on a wall…an actual wall of all places!
 
“Fool,” the Inu Lord hissed, while leaping from the balcony. His first thought was to jump up and stomp on the hanyou's bare chest, since he didn't seem to have enough shame to keep on a haori. Stepping closer to the wall so that he could reach out and touch it if he wanted to, Sesshomaru thought of something better he could and would do.
 
He could hear the quiet snores coming from his brother and his even shallow breathing, so he knew he was sound asleep. Leaping up the side of the wall, the Inu Lord grabbed a handful of Inuyasha's hair and yanked as hard as he could in a downward manner.
 
As Inuyasha's body made contact with the ground, Sesshomaru leaped a few feet away and watched in amusement as the hanyou tried to shake off his dismay and reconnect with the waking world.
 
Pushing his face up out of the hole that he had unknowingly created Inuyasha hissed, “What the fuck!” Shaking his head, he tried to figure out as best he could, what had just happened. Blinking a few times, he shook his head unceremoniously while staggering to his feet. Glancing around again, his eyes came to rest on his brother who was standing a few feet behind him staring at him with blank expression.
 
Looking back up at the wall, then at his brother, and then down at the hole he was standing in, Inuyasha snarled at Sesshomaru, “You fucking bastard,” as the reality of what had actually happened became clear. “You pulled me off the fucking wall?” he shouted unbelievably.
 
Without batting an eye, Sesshomaru asked dryly, “You're not amused?”
 
Inuyasha glared daggers at his pompous brother, but said nothing since the answer should have been obvious.
 
Turning to walk away, Sesshomaru asked rhetorically, “Is something wrong with the room I've given you, Inuyasha?”
 
Inuyasha reiterated, “You bastard! You pulled me off that fucking wall,” more for of his own benefit than his brothers'. He didn't know why he was finding it hard to believe, after all this was Sesshomaru. The wall had to be 20 feet high or more and that stuck up pompous prick had just yanked him off the fucking wall! `I should shove…' His thought died the moment he realized that his famed fang was not strapped to his hip, `Fucking bastard!'
 
“And should you loose your place again, I will do it again,” the Inu Lord stated over his shoulder. “And Inuyasha, tell your human that unless he wishes to kiss the rocks below that cliff, he will stay away from it.”
 
Sesshomaru didn't know why such small things irritated him so, but it did. Sure he could've easily let Inuyasha's lapse in judgment slip, but then that would lead to something more atrocious, like perhaps him rutting with the miko in his gardens, wouldn't it?
 
`It's possible. Anything's possible when it come to that buffoon!'
 
Then there was the Monk, what made him think it was acceptable to visit what, everyone knew was Sesshomaru's private place? Glancing off towards the Houshi, who was still sitting quietly, he contemplated running over there and shoving him off the cliff, but quickly thought better of it, `The Monk would never survive such a fall and more importantly, how would I explain to Kanomaru why I did what I did?' Looking away from the cliff, his thought finished, `I'm surrounded by nothing less than idiots!'
 
Growling low in his throat, Sesshomaru leaped back on his balcony so that he could finish his preparation for his short trip. He'd already advised Rin of his plans, so there was no need to speak with her again. He only needed to leave orders with Jakken for Rinji, upon his return.
 
Perhaps if he moved fast enough, he would be able to avoid his little hellion altogether.
 
 
Simonkal of Inuy
 
“Mommy, where's daddy?”
 
“He'll be back shortly, honey.”
 
Climbing unto the top of the table that his mother was sitting at, Kano asked, “Where'd he go?”
 
“I'm really not sure, but he said he'd tell you all about it when he returns.”
 
“Where'd he go?”
 
Rin sighed heavily, “Kanomaru, honey, I really don't know.”
 
“He didn't tell you?”
 
“No sweetie, he didn't.”
 
Kicking his feet back and forth as they dangled over the edge of the table, he asked, “When will he be back? Are you sure he didn't tell you where he was going?”
 
Rin stared at her son in disbelief. Surely he'd heard her the first two million times she said, `He'll be back soon.' Pushing away the material she had been working on, she reached up and pulled him into her lap. Kissing his forehead, his eyes, the tip of his nose then each cheek, she leaned away from him and stated with a bright smile, “Let's stop all this talk about daddy, okay?”
 
“But…but daddy just left. He didn't even say goodbye,” Kano whined, laying his head on his mother's shoulder. He couldn't understand it, how could his father just leave like that? What if he never saw him again? `Why wouldn't he take me with him?'
 
Rin heard a sniffle. `Oh, Kami,' she thought frantically, sensing the first signs of a tantrum coming on. He had done very well thus far, but she supposed she owed that to the now napping Shippo, and her brother-in-law. Who kept the pup so well entertained that he had little if any time to think about his missing sire. It was now just past noon and well…she knew eventually, this would happen.
 
Standing quickly with him in her arms she tried to think of something, anything that would distract him from his current train of thought. “How about I tell you the story of the evil hanyou, Naraku? Would you like that?” She could feel him nod in a negative fashion. `Oh Kami, Sesshomaru where are you?' she thought anxiously as she started to feel what she was sure were tears soaking through her kimono.
 
“What about the story about the wicked wind witch that flew around on a huge white feather?” She felt him shake his head and wipe what she knew was a runny nose on the shoulder of her kimono. “Kanomaru, honey, you're a big boy. Your father won't be happy if he hears you were crying again.” She felt him bury his face into her shoulder as if he was saying he didn't care. Or was he trying to stifle his tears?
 
“He…He lied mommy. He said he'd take me with him, the next time he went out…out there,” the teary eyed pup whimpered.
 
“Sweetie your father doesn't lie. You were recently injured, you're not well enough to go with him, yet,” Rin stated in a soft voice. Her only goal was to calm him down. She could feel his ire coming in like a tidal wave, quiet and vicious.
 
She could only remember her child throwing a tantrum twice. Once, when he was 3 years old and extremely fatigued but he couldn't find his father, so he fought sleep as if he was fighting a living-breathing thing. Then there was the time when he had just turned 4, Sesshomaru and Rinji had gone off to protect a portion of his domain and well; let's just say it wasn't pretty.
 
Pushing away from her, he shouted, “Yes I am! I'm a big boy!” Jumping down he glared up at her, his hands balled up into tiny fists, tears draining down his cheeks like a pent up flood gate let loose for the first time. “I want my daddy,” he screamed furiously.
 
He was by no means angry with his mother. He just wanted…needed his father…his protector. He didn't like… He never liked not feeling his immense aura nearby. It always left him feeling vulnerable and defenseless. It was just like on his human nights when he couldn't hear or see like he normally did. When his little claws and fangs disappeared… Yes, even being a four year old, he knew the difference between power and weakness.
 
“Kanomaru, honey, calm down,” Rin pleaded weakly. She hated when he acted like this, even if it wasn't often. Sure she could order him to his room, but he'd just break everything like he did the last time, wouldn't he? `I had to have a hanyou child,' she thought exasperatedly as she stared down at him with pity.
 
“When's daddy coming home,” the child shouted, glaring defiantly up at his flustered mother. He took one-step…two steps away from her, tears draining down his flushed face. `I want my father. W…Where'd he go,' he thought anxiously, then turned and ran towards the front doors. Jerking them open he ran out into the yard at a rapid pace.
 
“Kanomaru,” Rin shouted as she trailed swiftly behind him. Clearing the doors at a speed she wasn't aware she was capable of, she shouted his name again, and stopped. Exhaling heavily, she focused in on her son, who was wrapped tightly in his father's arms. She could see from Sesshomaru's expression that it was unexpected, since he wasn't even through the gates as of yet.
 
“Kanomaru,” the Inu lord stated quietly. He could tell by the scent of his son's tears that either he had gotten back too soon or too late. Proceeding through the gates, he spared a moment and closed them tightly behind him with one hand while holding the pup to him with the other. “Why are you crying?”
 
Without raising his head the boy sniffled, “W…where were you? W…why did you leave me? And…and you didn't even s…say bye. I…I was scared you wouldn't come back.”
 
Sesshomaru hoped that his son would grow out of this ungodly attachment to him, but for now he was merely a child, he'd humor him, somewhat. “What have I told you about those ridiculous notions?”
 
Kano sniffled, but didn't respond; instead he tightened his hold around his father's neck and sighed contentedly.
 
To be honest the Inu Lord hadn't even made it to Bokensu's forest. He'd detoured to the east just a little to inspect the scent of burning wood and…human flesh. Upon his arrival he found a village burned to the ground. Not one soul left a live. He sifted through some of the ashes and what he found told him the either this was done by demons or bandits, he was seriously hoping the latter of the two. He'd tried to pick up a scent, any scent that would point him in the right direction, but he couldn't smell a damn thing with the stench of burned flesh and charred bones and wood pilfering the air around him.
 
As he stood there staring at the carnage, he couldn't shake the feeling that this was done deliberately, but more than that he couldn't shake the feeling that he needed…desperately needed to get back home.
 
Walking up the steps to meet his wife, Sesshomaru asked quietly, “Has Rinji returned?”
 
“I'm not sure, perhaps you should ask Jakken or Inuyasha.” Reaching up, Rin smooth back the hair on her child's head and peaked at his face. “He's asleep.”
 
“Is he,” the Inu lord asked, blandly. He knew the child was sleeping. He'd known the moment he'd closed his eyes.
 
“Is there such a things as being too attached, my love?”
 
Sesshomaru glanced down at her then off towards the forest. He sensed something…something familiar, yet not, coming towards them. “I don't know,” he stated in a distant voice.
 
Tipping up on her toes, she softly kissed Kano's cheek then replied, “Well if there is, he is the absolute definition of it.”
 
Staring more intently in the direction the aura was coming from, Sesshomaru stated quietly as not to alarm her, “Take him and go inside.”
 
“He's going to wake up the minute he leaves your arms.”
 
Passing the sleeping boy to her, he stated in a no nonsense tone, “Whatever happens keep him in there with you. Do not let him come out here.”
 
Rin searched his stoic face for a sign, any sign, but found none. His mood had switched so fast that she didn't see it coming, nor going. “My love…what…what's going on?”
 
Inuyasha appeared as if out of thin air. “Were you expecting guests,” he mumbled, staring off in the same direction his brother was.
 
He'd been down on the beach thinking over his predicament with Kagome when he sensed the demonic aura barreling towards them at a rapid pace. What unnerved him even more was that, just behind that one there were two more following at a slightly slower pace.
 
“Rin, get inside, now.” The aura was getting close…too close. He could tell that this wasn't some meager demon. This youkai was strong, his aura crackled with power. But it wasn't alone there were two more demons with it. Their scents…they were familiar, he just couldn't place them. `So the time has come, has it,' the Inu Lord thought as he pushed Rin through the door with his sleeping pup and closed the door behind them. Stepping into the yard his thought finished, `Something to protect.'
 
Stepping up next to his brother, his transformed fang grasped tightly in his hand, Inuyasha asked, “Shouldn't we take this outside the gates?”
 
His head raised skyward, Sesshomaru hissed quietly, “There's no time,” as he reached down and pulled Toukijin from its home at his waist.
 
As the last words fell from his lips the wind around them twisted violently, whipping their hair into their faces then pushing it away just as quickly. It was volatile twisting and turning in on itself as if it had a life…a mind of its own. As it died away it left a solitary figure bowed on one knee before the Inu Lord.
 
With the quickness of a ferret, Sesshomaru was on the interloper, the tip of his sword pointed directly at his temple. “You have sealed your death this day,” he spoke sternly.
 
The demon's snow-white ponytail slid slowly across his back and down his side, to scrap the ground beside his covered foot. He didn't budge and inch or quiver at the tip of the blade that could've pierced his skin in the blink of a mosquito's eye, it was almost as if he hadn't heard the Inu Lord.
 
Stepping up to the two, Inuyasha rested the blade of Tetsusaiga against his shoulder and asked with an arrogant smirk, “Are you stupid of something? Or do just have a death wish?”
 
The Inu-youkai growled low but did not move nor respond. The only sign that he had heard either of them was the clenching of his fist and the deeper bow of his head.
 
Sesshomaru stared down at the youkai. His white hair, the electric blue jagged strips that he was sure were on both sides of his cheeks. “State your business.”
 
“I am Reinto, of the Southern Lands,” the youkai spoke quietly, respectfully. He hadn't spoken at first because he needed time to squelch the desire to run the hanyou through. How dare he address him in such away? Quieting his mind, he continued, “Lord Susamajii seeks residency in your land and home.”
 
Sesshomaru growled low in his throat. This, he was not expecting…he did not like! `Susamajii?'
 
Susamajii was notorious for hating hanyou's and killing humans. How could he welcome a youkai such as he into his home? How could he have such a demon around his hanyou son and his human mate? But then how could he not? There was a treaty…a very important treaty between them… A treaty that was older than he himself. He couldn't turn him away, to do so…to do so, would be nothing less than disastrous.
 
“Why?”
 
“There is an important matter that must be addressed at once,” the younger Inu youkai stated from his bowed position.
 
“Who the fuck is this Susamajii character, and why in the hell can't he stay at a fucking Inn?”
 
Reinto glanced up at the hanyou. His silvery blue eyes locked heatedly with that of the hanyou's golden ones. He wanted to snarl at the mouthy disrespectful beast, but refrained. `You, I will kill for pleasure,' he thought decidedly. He didn't know why, but the hanyou grated on his nerves. True, he had only just met him, but he never needed more than a few seconds to decided whether he'd kill someone or not.
 
Why this half-breed got to him so, he hadn't a clue. Perhaps it was his smut mouth, or maybe it was just the egotistical aura about him. Whatever it was, he knew he would lay hands on him, one way or the other.
 
“Inuyasha, this does not concern you,” Sesshomaru stated while sheathing his sword. Stepping back, he asked in an irritated tone, “Where is Susamajii and why didn't he send notice before now?”
 
Inuyasha grunted and stepped back. `Bastard,' he thought with a gruff snarl while sheathing his own fang. Staring at the back of his brother's head for a brief moment he then turned his attention back to the youkai, that he couldn't help but distrust.
 
Standing to his feet, Reinto quickly took in the Western Lords dress, “He shall arrive shortly, Lord Sesshomaru.” Glancing coldly at the hanyou dressed in red, he quickly turned his attention back to his superior, “Lord Susamajii, received an invite to your home for the… For your heirs 5th summers celebration. He decided he would use that for this visit.”
 
Inuyasha could feel his brother's aura spike dramatically, and then just as quickly as it came it disappeared. `So Sesshomaru, you don't like this Susamajii, eh,' he thought as he continued to stare at the two full demons.
 
`Invite? Jakken… Why would that…that moron send an invitation to someone that he knows I simply despise!' Every fiber of his being told him to turn the Inu Lord away, but he couldn't. No matter how much he wanted to…he…he just couldn't, because he needed that damn treaty to remain intact! Every fiber of his being told him that this was an excruciatingly bad idea, but his hands as they were, were tied, were they not?
 
As much as Sesshomaru hated to admit it, Susamajii, though back handedly, was one of the main reasons why the Western Lands had remained at peace for so long. 1000 years if he remembered correctly. Before the truce…treaty, there were relentless attacks from the South. Human villages were being wiped out left and right. Demons attacked and pillaged as if there were no such thing as law. Clans were wiped out, causing more than a few beings to become extinct.
 
Before the treaty it seemed that all the South and West did was fight. There was no prosperity, no peace, and no civility. Basically the treaty…truce kept the animals…beasts…vermin out of his land and in the South where they belonged with their depraved Lord, who was just as appalling and uncivilized as they were.
 
Sesshomaru inquired, his tone low, husky, “How long?”.
 
“That, I am not sure of.”
 
Sesshomaru stared unblinking at the Inu before him. What was Susamajii up to? What did he need to talk to him about? Why did this impromptu visit leave a bad taste in his mouth? “How many rooms will he need?”
 
“Three, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
The Western Lord didn't respond, just stared at the demon as if saying, `continue.'
 
“He is traveling with someone and I will be staying as well.”
 
“What the fuck! Do you think this is some kind of…” Inuyasha blurted but was silenced by Sesshomaru.
 
“Inuyasha, I will not state this again. This does not concern you.”
 
True indeed this didn't concern him, but he didn't know these fucking youkai's. He had a mate and friends to protect! He wouldn't just stand by and let his brother welcome these fuckers in, when he hadn't a fucking clue as to what they were truly after. Inuyasha blurted angrily, “Like hell this doesn't concern me! Did you forget about what just happened to Kano? This shit is just too fucking convenient, don't you think?”
 
Reinto looked slowly away from the Inu Lord and towards the half-breed. Tilting his head to the side slightly, he glared at Inuyasha; wanting nothing more than to slit his throat and watch him slowly bleed to death. `Insolent half-breed! Your tongue will be your down fall, of this I'm sure!' Stilling his resolve, he looked back at Sesshomaru, “What would you have me report to Lord Susamajii?”
 
“Does it matter? He's already here,” Sesshomaru spat with disdain. He could sense Susamajii's arrival on the other side of the gate. He knew that until it was opened he would not dare enter his home. Turning on his heels, he continued without looking back, “I will have Jakken show him in and to his rooms.”
 
Inuyasha remained where he was as the door to the mansion slide open then closed. Staring at the youkai who was staring at him unblinking and with a slight smirk, Inuyasha snarled, “I got something you fucking want?”
 
Reinto smiled, genuinely. Perhaps this would prove more interesting than he thought. “I'll have your tongue before I leave this place, hanyou, of this I am sure.”
 
Leveling Tetsusaiga with the Youkai's chest, Inuyasha hissed with a smirk of his own, “Take it now if you want it so fucking bad!”
 
Chuckling, Reinto winked at the seething hanyou and turned away, “A half-breed such as yourself should know his place. Perhaps I'll have to teach you,” he stated over his shoulder.
 
Before Inuyasha could retort, the youkai was over the wall and out of sight. Staring after him, the only thing that the hanyou thought was, `Sesshomaru you fucking asshole, you better know what you're doing, because these pricks are up to no fucking good, I'm sure of it!' He definitely didn't like the youkai he'd just met, but this Susamajii person… Hell, he hadn't even met him and already he hated his fucking guts.
 
Until Next Time…(Your .02 cents, are greatly appreciated!!)