InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Courtship ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

I do not own Inuyasha, but it is wishful thinking.

Kagome sat in front of Kaede's fire, barely listening as the old miko lectured about the medicine she was brewing. She was lost in thought, as she often was the past few weeks, replaying memories over and over in her head like a favorite movie. Usually, the memories she reflected back on were always the same; her arrival to the feudal states era, releasing Inuyasha, meeting Shippo, Miroku, and Sango, Inuyasha and Kikyo's kiss, and the destruction of Naraku.

Kagome absently toyed with the jewel that hung around her neck. After two years of battling Naraku and another half a year searching for the remainder of the shards, the Shikon no Tama was finally compete. Now it hung whole and pure around Kagome's neck, waiting to be used. Kagome had given it to Inuyasha so he could make his wish but he had given it back, telling her he didn't know what he wanted anymore. Kagome and the others had understood and respected that. After all, he had just lost Kikyo permanently and he knew that wishing to turn into a full-blooded Youki would turn him into a bloodthirsty killer. So the jewel remained in Kagome's care until Inuyasha made his decision and Kagome would remain in the feudal states era.

Of course it wasn't as if Kagome had a choice about staying even though she preferred it this way. The final battle against Naraku had taken place at the well and when Inuyasha struck the final blow, he destroyed the well along with Naraku. Inuyasha had been extremely apologetic, especially after seeing Kagome cry but Kagome had been crying for other reasons. What Inuyasha thought had been tears of pain and grief and actually been tears of joy and relief. Naraku was defeated, the world was safe, Miroko could now live to be an old man and watch his future children grow. Sango's family was avenged and Kohaku's body and soul had been put to rest. And Inuyasha could now live in peace without the threat of Naraku hanging over his head. No, Kagome didn't cry because the well had been destroyed (though she did cry when she realized that she would never see her family again). The destruction of the well had actually been a relief for her for now she didn't have a choice about whether of not she stayed. Kagome preferred living in the past with Inuyasha but she secretly believed that if the well remained unharmed, she would have gone back to the future all do to the fact that she had been borne there.

Kagome sighed and she leaned against the wall. Kaede, who realized that Kagome was not paying attention, had stopped lecturing and left Kagome to her thoughts. Kagome owed a lot to the old miko. After the battle, Kaede had had taken Kagome in, offered her a place to live as long as she wanted. Kagome was extremely grateful but she wished that she had a place of her own. Kagome loved Kaede but living under her roof felt like she was still in the care of her mother. Kagome was now eighteen and still feeling like a child was not something she wanted.

Kagome watched as Kaede poured the brew into a small pot. She had missed the entire lecture but Kagome didn't really care at the moment, she was still lost in thought, now thinking about Inuyasha and herself.

Over the past few months, their relationship had seemed to become more intimate. Inuyasha rarely left Kagome's side and when he did, he always returned baring some form of gift; usually meat, and he always seemed to be touching her. The touches were faint and quick, usually just a brush against her arm or lower back. They were faint enough to remain innocent but strong enough to get her hear pounding. Kagome didn't understand what she did to attract this attention and though she like it, Inuyasha actions confused her and the way he always watched her was like he was wanting something from her but she didn't know what. She would have to talk to Sango and see if she knew what it was behind Inuyasha's strange behavior.

Kagome yawned and after stretching her body, she glanced around. Kaede had gone to her futon and was sleeping comfortably. Kagome blushed when she realized that she had completely ignored the older miko, leaving her to clean up the mess that Kagome usually took upon herself to do. She would have to make it up to her by getting up earlier and making breakfast. That should make up for it.

Yawning again, Kagome went to her own futon and curled under the blanket. Tomorrow she would make Kaede breakfast and then go see Sango. Kagome stayed awake until she felt Shippo crawl under the blanket and lie beside her. He had been sleeping on his own futon but the little kit still preferred to sleep next to her and would always try sneak into her blanket. Most of the time, Kagome would send him back to his own futon since he was old enough to sleep alone but sometimes, she also preferred him next to her. Tonight she would let him stay and she curled her body around his in a protective manner before pulling him closer to her. Shippo sighed and content and quickly fell asleep. Kagome cracked a smile and glanced up at the ceiling. Inuyasha was sleeping on the roof. It had become his resting spot ever since he started his strange behavior. Kagome wondered if it was his way of trying to get as close to her as possible or if he was just being overly protective as usual. It didn't matter because she truthfully liked knowing his was that close. She just wished he were closer.

"Good night, Inuyasha," she whispered before getting comfortable and quickly falling asleep.