InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Courtship ❯ Chapter Twelve ( Chapter 12 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Kagome couldn't explain it but when she woke she was really groggy and she itched all over, as if something had crawled on her during the night. Her hair especially felt gross and she couldn't help but scratch at it as she sat up. She felt lightheaded doing so but forced herself to deal with it as she sat back and began rubbing her arms. Why did she feel this way? She was pretty sure that if some bug had crawled on her she would have woken up and probably screamed bloody murder so why did she feel like an entire nest of eight legged creatures had crawled on her?

As she continued to scratch at her hair and arms, she heard a chuckle and turned to find Inuyasha sitting by the hearth, stirring something in a pot. That caused her to stop scratching. As long as she had known him, Inuyasha had never cooked, but here he was, sitting in front of a cooking fire like it was the most natural thing on earth and judging by the scent, it would be mouthwatering. But Kagome wasn't in the mood for food. In fact she wasn't hungry at all but it was probably do to headache and do to the icky feeling all along her skin.

"How are you feeling?" Inuyasha asked her but by the look in his eyes, he already knew.

Kagome narrowed her eyes at him and fought the urge to scratch her arm again.

"Ask me after I have a bath."

Inuyasha chuckled again and nodded before turning back to his stew.

Across from him, Kaede sat sipping her tea as she studied Inuyasha. Like Kagome, she too had a headache but not the itchy skin. Fortunately, she had been up for an hour and the tea she was drinking was easing her headache to a dull ache that was quickly passing but she didn't know why she had the headache or why she had woken so late. Judging by Inuyasha's expression, he knew what had been the caused but she wouldn't ask him until later.

Kagome rubbed her arm and looked out the window. The sun was high and the weather was warm.

"Inuyasha, what time is it?" she asked him.

"A few hours till noon."

Kagome looked at him.

"That long? Why didn't you wake me?"

Inuyasha shrugged and turned back to the pot.

"I thought you needed your sleep and besides, I didn't get back until late myself."

"Why?"

"Kagome!"

Kagome turned toward Shippo who just barged through the door and launched himself at her. Kagome grunted when she caught him but it was more from his weight than surprise. Shippo was growing after all even though it was slower than she thought he should be.

Shippo hugged Kagome tightly before squirming down to sit her lap. He looked up at her with big bight eyes and his tail was twitching in excitement.

"You'll never guess what I did?"

Kagome smiled down at him. It was rare for Shippo to be this excited. He was a happy kit but there was nothing in the village for him to get excited about. Of course, after years of battling youkai, day-to-day life in the village did seem rather boring.

"What did you do, Shippo?" Kagome smiled down at him.

"I caught a rabbit."

Kagome's eyes widened. Whatever she had been expecting, that wasn't it.

"What?"

"Inuyasha took me hunting."

Kagome raise her eyes to meet Inuyasha who was pouring the stew into some bowls. He handed one to Kaede who took it but she too was looking at Inuyasha in surprise. As he handed one to Kagome her stew, he met her eyes and shrugged.

"I took him tracking," he explained, "not hunting. The runt just happened to find a rabbit trail and it led him to the rabbit. I didn't think he would actually catch it."

Inuyasha handed Shippo his stew and sat back down before eating his own. He too had been surprised at what Shippo had done and on his first try. When he himself had started hunting, he had gone hungry for three days before managing to succeed. He guessed that luck happened to favor Shippo since the rabbit hadn't noticed the kit until the last minute. Shippo's pounce had been properly done thanks to all his practice pouncing bugs and he had managed to land right on top of it. He and the rabbit had struggled for a while and it had been difficult for Shippo since the rabbit was almost as big as he was but Inuyasha got to him in time and had finished the rabbit off for him. He didn't think Shippo was ready for that yet besides, he only wanted the kit to learn to track then ease into hunting. Who would knew that he would actually follow a trail and be successful?

"Yeah, but I still caught it," Shippo puffed up his chest proudly as he ate his stew. In his opinion, it was the best he ever had.

Kagome looked from Shippo to Inuyasha.

"You took him tracking?"

Inuyasha shrugged and continued eating.

"It's been a long time in coming," he explained. "I've just been too busy to teach him until now."

"Aren't you hungry, Kagome?"

Kagome looked down at Shippo and smiled. No, she wasn't hungry but since it was Shippo's rabbit she would eat it without complaint. She slowly took a bite and was surprised to find how good it was. Who would have thought that Inuyasha was a good cook? As she continued eating, she would sneak glances at Inuyasha. He was surprising her more and more. First it had been the flower, then the shirts, now he was teaching Shippo how to hunt. Kagome looked up at Inuyasha had saw him watching her. Their eyes met for a moment before he turned to the fire. Kagome smiled. Out of all his surprises, she liked the last one the best.

"Okay, Inuyasha. Now that Kagome is gone, tell me about what happened last night." Kaede ordered.

Inuyasha was leaning against the wall, listening to Kagome's steps disappear in the direction of river. Shippo had gone with her, to keep guard, as he had put it, but Inuyasha knew that he just wanted to retail his story, which was what he was doing right now. Inuyasha was smirking when Shippo explained how big the rabbit was when Kaede spoke.

Inuyasha looked up at Kaede and tried to look innocent.

"What are you talking about?"

Kaede narrowed her eyes.

"Don't start playing games and don't lie to me." Kaede took a sip of her tea before continuing. "Look, I already know that you're courting Kagome and I promise not to say anything to Kagome, now tell me what happened."

Inuyasha sighed. He was caught and he knew it. He didn't want to tell her but he knew that he had no choice, but there would be no harm in telling her since he trusted her to keep her word but where was he going to start? He couldn't just explain what happened last night since only more questions would surface so he would have to start from the beginning.

"The seamstress who made Kagome's shirts is a spider youkai." Inuyasha explained, "I met her at Sesshoumaru's. I also wanted her to make some kimonos but she needed Kagome's measurements-"

"So you invited the seamstress here." Kaede interrupted and took another sip of tea, signaling Inuyasha to continue.

"She had to make sure that you two didn't wake so she used a sleeping poison on you and Kagome. That explains the headache you both have. I think the reason Kagome itches is because Taka, the youkai, held her up with her webbing and used it to move her around." Inuyasha looked out the door. "I didn't think it would effect her this way but she's not hurt."

Kaede smiled.

"Kimonos? That is very thoughtful. Most of Kagome's clothes are ruined and I think she would like having something nice to wear."

Inuyasha blushed but he soaked up the compliment. He knew that Kagome would like the kimonos. She liked the shirts after all and he had spent even more time picking the fabrics for the kimonos but he still thought he should have chosen another red instead of a gold. Still, it was nice to hear that he was doing things right.

Kaede stared at Inuyasha and smiled at the proud look on his face. The hanyou was almost as old as she was and he still acted like a pup. Of course, compared to full-blooded youkai, he still was a pup. Kaede's smile grew slightly and she looked down at the fire that was slowly dying. It was then that she realized what Inuyasha had just said. He had invited a spider youkai into her hut.

Normally, Kaede wouldn't have minded so much. If Inuyasha trusted the youkai then she was not someone to judge but spider youkai weren't trustworthy. They were very aggressive, attacking anything that moved and they had a taste for human blood. Females were especially aggressive and were known to be gluttons since they needed more nourishment to help their eggs form. But this youkai had left them unharmed and Sesshoumaru had stood beside Inuyasha and watched her. There may be a chance that Inuyasha didn't about all that but Sesshoumaru knew and he wouldn't have let the spider anywhere near the village if there was a chance of her attacking but that was what was strange. This spider went against all of its natural instincts and took nothing more than Kagome's measurements. It went against everything Kaede knew.

"Inuyasha, did you say that the seamstress was a spider?" Kaede asked.

Surprised by her question, Inuyasha looked over at Kaede. Slowly he nodded.

"Why is that so important?"

Kaede looked down at her tea.

"I'm just surprised she let us live," she reasoned. "Spider youkai usually kill any living thing and Kagome and I were an easy meal."

Inuyasha closed his eyes and leaned against the wall.

"She wasn't interested and she just fed."

"As far as I know, a spider with a full stomach is still hungry."

"Taka wouldn't have harmed you or Kagome. I won't deny the fact that she is dangerous and strange, but she's more interested in her work then eating."

"I've never known a spider to be more interested in weaving than food. Unless they're weaving to catch food."

Inuyasha cracked a smile at that.

"Neither have I. Sesshoumaru said that it the way her breed is. They're obsessed with weaving and in the end that kills them." Inuyasha paused but it was clear that he was thinking about how to continue.

"Taka," he said after a few moments, "doesn't look dangerous but she got an aura that radiates power. I don't doubt that I could kill her but she would be a challenge. But I won't have to fight her. Sesshoumaru says she only attacks when angry and I made her happy by giving her work. She's no threat."

"Are you sure?"

Inuyasha nodded.

"She's obsessed with her work and I'm now a client. She has Kagome's measurement so she has no reason to come here again. We probably won't ever see her again."

"I hope so Inuyasha. I would hate to have to seal such a talented seamstress."

Kaede finished her tea and slowly rose to her feet. She suppressed a groan as her old joints complained at the motion. Kaede wanted to stay inside and rest her old bones but she wanted to see to Sango. The girl still had plenty of time before she gave birth but since it was her first child, Kaede wanted to make sure that everything was going smoothly. Nodding to Inuyasha, Kaede left the hut and left the hanyou to whatever thoughts that were going through his head.

AN: I hate this chapter. I really, really hate this chapter. It's just so boring and short, even though I spent forever on it, but I'm not going to redo it. If I even try, it will never get done. Next chapter will be better, I promise. And I'll try to get it out by next Sunday but no promises.

Next chapter: An old opponent challenges Inuyasha in order to claim Kagome.