InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ The Beach Part 3 ( Chapter 13 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
The Beach Part 3

Miroku and Inuyasha waited as the girls made their entrance into the tent. The last few moments had been a sobering experience for all. Inuyasha looked back towards the campfire to see that Sesshoumaru was still sitting as stunned as ever staring into the flames. Turning he motioned Miroku into the tent before following on his heels. He watched as Miroku crawled over Sango's sleeping bag to position himself between the wall and her. Once Miroku was settled in Inuyasha followed suit and crawled over Kagome to fall into place beside her. Although he despised this contraption, he had smelt the change in the air and expected a light rain to blow in shortly. The breeze was beginning to pick up even as he eased covers over Kagome. He preferred to stay dry beside her than to guard them from the outside.

Miroku's movements prompted him to look towards the monk. Miroku had placed a protective arm over Sango as he pulled her close. The taijiya blushed but did nothing to stop him. Slowly she rested her head onto his shoulder before closing her eyes. Shortly later their rhythmic breathing was evidence of their sleeping. The rain started shortly after pelting down on the canvas covering above them.

Kagome stirred beside him causing him to stare down at her. She looked up at him with uneasy eyes.

"Are you still mad at me?" She whispered, emotion beginning to glisten in her eyes.

"Feh! You were being rather stupid wench." He mumbled back as he reached across her face to thumb away a tear that had formed at the base of her eye.

"I'm sorry!" She hiccuped trying to keep her voice quiet as to not disturb the others.

"Don't ever pull something like that again Kagome." He growled back softly in her ear, relishing the shiver that went down her spine.

"I don't know what came over me."

"Too much to drink perhaps?"

"I think that was only part of it. You really made me angry earlier. I guess I was just being childish."

"I'm sorry too Kagome. I just didn't like the thought of anyone seeing you like that."

"Jealous were you?" Kagome chanced a small smile hoping her comment didn't anger him again.

"Oi wench, why would I be jealous?" Inuyasha pouted at her statement.

"Oh."

Her simple statement made him quickly assess her features. She had turned her face away from him and he could smell another salty tear falling. Cursing himself silently he decided that he was done hurting Kagome by his constant denial. Shippo had been after him since their arrival to finally tell Kagome his feelings. He had been reluctant wanting her to heal from the loss of her family first. He had waited as her spirits had slowly been lifted through the weeks. Perhaps now was finally the time. Confident that the monk and taijiya were sound asleep he again used his hand to turn Kagome's face towards him.

"Kagome I......" He paused, looking into the misty blue eyes below him. Shifting himself he came to gaze directly down into her face. "That's not what I meant. You're right. I was jealous."

"Why?"

"Kagome, I don't want other males to see you. You're mine and I intend to keep it that way."

"How can I be yours? You've never laid any sort of claim to me other than me being your jewel detector." She whispered angrily back at him.

"Dammit Kagome, you were always mine. Being a shard detector was an excuse I gave to myself for wanting to be near you. I was afraid of my own feelings. Watching Sesshoumaru tonight made me realize just how stupid males can be. Shippo figures that most youkai could use some lessons on proper relationships when it comes to women." He leaned closer, holding her face with his hand. Her eyes were inviting, making him feel like he was being forcibly pulled to her. His lips were mere millimeters above hers.

"Inuyasha?" Kagome whispered, her breath feathering across his parted lips.

He answered her by placing a light kiss to her lips. He let his mouth linger on hers before adding more pressure. Feeling no resistance he chanced it by trailing the tip of his tongue over her soft lips. When they parted slightly he stole her breath away, diving deep into the recesses of her mouth. When his mind screamed for oxygen he released her, staring down as her eyes fluttered open to stare at him in awe.

He leaned in for another but stopped abruptly, hearing voices nearing the tent. Both Kagome and Inuyasha could hear the approach of the Shippo and Misery. Grumpily Inuyasha rolled back to his original position before wrapping his arm around Kagome and pulling her close.

"Sleep now Kagome, we'll finish this conversation later."

Kagome nodded before she snuggled into his loving embrace.

X-X-X-X-X


"What the hell were you thinking Missy! He could have torn you to pieces!" Shippo gasped as he tried to catch his breath. He had been dragged away from the fire by Misery before she had let him go and broke into a dead run. Finally catching up to her, he was panting heavily.

"I don't know, I snapped. He had no right to treat you like that!" She whined back before sinking to her knees in the sand.

"Actually Miss, he had every right. He is my elder and my superior. Youkai males are known to fight for what they want. If he wanted you, I should have submitted. Kami, I'm in deep shit." Shippo explained as he took a seat next to her.

"That's stupid. Just because he's your superior, he still has no rights over me. Besides you've never submitted when it came to protecting me, even if I usually save your ass in the end." She allowed a small smile to grace her lips as she smiled at her friend. "I'll just have to kick his butt if he tries to blame you for this."

"I wonder what came over him. I've known him nearly all my life and not once has he ever acted that way. He was fiercely protective of Rin, but this was different. He was actively seeking trouble." Shippo stared out into the darkness trying to comprehend the change that had came over the elder youkai. "Couldn't have been the alcohol, our bodies metabolize it differently its affects should have been minimal. It might have only made him slightly irritable."

"I hope those hand prints last forever!" Misery pouted crossing her arms and resting them on her knees.

Shippo chuckled beside her throwing a hand on her head to playfully ruffle her hair. "My little spitfire. Kicking ass first and getting names later."

"I hope I didn't mess things up for Kagome and the others." Misery looked out into the surf. "Sesshoumaru could throw the whole lot of us out now."

"I doubt he would be so rash. He'll probably lay low once he realizes the depth of his actions."

"Hmpf. I wouldn't think 'old cold shoulder' would hide from anyone."

"Missy, Sesshoumaru's not as bad as you make him out to be. Granted, I'm not too happy with him at the moment." Shippo paused as he rubbed his neck that had been formerly held in the taiyoukai's vice like grip. "But, if he is exhibiting such strong emotion for you, I am confident that he would treat you very well."

Misery turned to gape at the kitsune in horror. "Are you actually telling me to date that monster?"

"Sesshoumaru is no monster!" Even though the elder youkai had threatened him earlier, he felt obliged to defend his honour. "If you'd stop being such a coward maybe you would see this."

"Coward!" Misery blurted out, enraged by Shippo's statement.

"Come on Missy, I know what this is about. All these years and I'm the only male you have ever let into your life. You can't let this ridiculous hatred of yours cloud your vision forever."

"Easier said than done Shippo. Besides, I don't hate Inuyasha or Miroku. In fact I quite like them."

"Inuyasha and Miroku are no different than I am Miss, we're friends. Never have we been a threat to you."
"Who's to say I won't be just a piece on his chess board. Nothing more than a strategic move." Misery whimpered starting to become lost in the despair she had fought for decades.

"He's not like them," Shippo whispered softly. If Sesshoumaru's behaviour was a tell tale sign of the future, Misery would not have to fear her heritage or past any longer. "Sesshoumaru is the complete opposite of Cernonnus. He would not use you so."

"He's been haunting my dreams again. I can't sleep." She whispered an eerie look had crept into her gray eyes.

"Cernonnus?" Shippo looked at his friend with great concern as she stared in torment at the growing waves.The wind was picking up causing the surf to become choppy. The smell of rain was in the air.

"Perhaps it was not wise for me to come here. If he should find me... I worry greatly for Kagome and the others. It would be bad if he found me, but it would be worse if he learned of her and the jewel."

"We are better off for having your wisdom and knowledge. He will find out about the jewel soon enough, we cannot stop that. If you have been having dreams it could mean that he already knows where you are. I will inform Sesshoumaru of the situation. Perhaps he knows of youkai who have connections with Cernonnus." Shippo considered his options.

"I imagine what will happen when he finally secures me. He'll use me to unite the strays before launching his assault on this world. I'm nothing more than a tool for him to use against my grandfather." Her face drew up into a pained expression as she closed her eyes tightly. Misery drew a ragged breath as a tear escaped from her shut eyes. "Kagome and Sango would suffer greatly in his sinister hands. He would violate them in the worst ways just for some sick satisfaction of his own. Bastard."

"Inuyasha and Miroku would not let that happen Misery, neither would Sesshoumaru or I. They are safe as long as we draw breath. So are you." He offered her some small reassurance, his heart pained at her continual suffering.

"It's going to begin soon. I can feel it. I had hoped that we would be able to lessen the threats somewhat here in Japan before he caught on. Cernonnus will not let me be though. How he tracked me I don't know. I had been so careful with my illusion spells. He should be across the world by now, not here." Misery stood and began walking back towards camp. "Tell me Shippo, you have seen the other's in real battle, do we stand any kind of chance against the evil that is gathering?"

"Just wait until you see Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru pissed! Cernonnus won't know what hit him." Shippo smiled before throwing his arm around Misery's shoulder and walking her back to camp.

They continued their trek slowly even though the warm rain washed over them. Misery tilted her head up letting nature's magic work on her. The rivulets of cleansing water streamed down her face and body, easing her soul. In the wind she sensed the shadow of evil to come, but in the rain she found comfort in the hope it told her to hang onto.