InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Demon Nature ❯ The Festival ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

7

"I don't want to go there. Period. End of story."

"Kagome, it'll be safer for you."

"Inu Yasha, Sesshoumaru, who was actively trying to kill you most of your life, comes to you, in the dead of winter, to tell you that one, he's starting a war. Two, that since I'm pregnant, and the war will come near us, that we should move into one of his caves somewhere in that cursed domain of his so I, the woman he's hated all these years, can be safe!! What is wrong with this picture?!"

"Kagome, listen to me. I could say no, and we go on about our lives. But if our child is injured, if something happens to you…"

"We can…"

Kagome looked away, remembering why they spent most of their time here, why she had chosen to live the hard life of a woman in these times as opposed to the comfort of the age she was born in.

"I'm sorry. We've been doing this so long…"

She stood and walked over to him.

"It'll be okay. Besides, I'm sure Rin can use some company, shut up in that place with Sess."

She stroked his mane, bringing her face closer to hers. He pulled away and walked out into the cold, and she sighed. She was such an idiot at times.

Rin watched as her children, in human form, practiced their characters. The teacher was someone Sesshoumaru had convinced to come visit because he wanted them to be able to function in the world he'd seen, the world of the future where reading, writing, and reasoning went hand in hand. The human was terrified of Sesshoumaru of course, who sat in on all the lessons. He never picked up a writing implement, but later, when they were alone, the two of them would practice their characters. He was getting very good, and she was moving right along with him. He was proud of her, and she was proud of him for having the sense to know that if things went well, they'd be traveling back and forth the way Kagome and Inu Yasha did.

Sesshoumaru watched his mate from his position just behind his children. She was watching intently from behind the mesh screen where she sat during the lesson periods, but looked up and gave him a radiant smile. He wondered how she would take the news that Kagome would be living close by, and that she was pregnant again. Sakura was having trouble with a character, and she let a curse word or two slip in front of her teacher. Being a teacher, he responded as a teacher would, chastising Sakura for her language. Sakura's eyes flashed, and the teacher cringed, forcing Sesshoumaru to speak up.

"He is in charge now daughter. You have to show him the same respect you would show me."

Sakura, knowing that when his voice was calm and peaceful, he was at his most dangerous, bowed and said "Sorry" to her teacher. The teacher, who was brought in and out by Ah Un, blindfolded, had thought the Demon Lord was going to kill him. Even to his human senses the smell of blood was strong here, and he wondered how much of it was human. His trips here from his village always occurred under the cloak of darkness, the demon steed would appear at his house and he would gather his things.

Rin shifted, uncomfortable, and annoyed that Sakura was not progressing as well as Taisho.

Sesshoumaru had described the world Kagome came from to her, and she could not even begin to imagine it. The women wore clothing that looked like men's clothing, no one wore kimono's and they got around in something called a car. Maybe one day he would take her there, let her see it. Kagome and Inu Yasha's children stayed there except for the early part of the winter, when the weather was relatively mild. They looked human, but Sesshoumaru told her their demon blood was strong, and that that was part of the reason Inu Yasha wanted them in the future. The people of that time thought demons part of myth, and that they were safer there. Sesshoumaru-sama had even talked about his children attending something called college in the future to further their education. Right now it looked like Taisho would be fine, and somehow he would be the one to go back and forth. Sakura…

Rin sighed, shaking her head to clear her thoughts on things she couldn't even visualize.

The lesson drew to a close, and the teacher asked Sesshoumaru if he could go home for the winter festival.

"You are here for your normal two days," Sesshoumaru said calmly, his beautiful features serene.

"What do I care of your festival?"

"If I'm not there Lord Sesshoumaru, there will be talk."

"Talk?"

"Some say that I have a demon smell on me, and when people feel that way…"

Sesshoumaru studied his claws, admiring their sharpness. Taisho and Sakura stood watching the scene, wondering what their father would do.

"It matters to you what people say? Are you trying to tell me you don't want to teach my children anymore?"

Both Taisho and Sakura licked their lips, but said nothing.

"My Lord, I would never refuse your request. It is just something that is important. The Miko…"

Green light flared around Sesshoumaru's claws, and the kids leaned forward, waiting for the show.

"Miko? Your village priestess scares you so you lose respect for me?"

The man was blubbering now, wishing he'd never mentioned the festival.

The green light dimmed, and Sesshoumaru looked at the man.

"Go to your festival. Ah Un will take you."

With that he turned and walked away, his children walking behind him. They joined Rin behind the mesh screen, watching as the man climbed on Ah Un's back and was lifted to the sky. Sesshoumaru smoothed his hair back behind his ears.

"I'll be back soon," he said softly.

"You will have dinner with your mother. When I return I need to speak with her, alone."

The villagers, candles, and lamps lit, congregated in the village square. The priests from the local shrine began the ceremony, the chanting rising on the smoke of the incense. As the ceremony reached its height a sickening sound was heard to come from the sky, and all chanting ceased as people ran to get out of the way of whatever it was that was falling. It hit with a thud on the cleared ground, and the few that could scream did. Others stared in horror at the mutilated body of their priestess, a woman who had been born and bred in the village, and had been their doctor, counselor, and protection against evil spirits.

The sound of a howl, a wail of power, assailed their ears, and they looked upward. A huge dog, bigger than anything of the mortal world, hovered in the sky, it's eyes flashing red, it's fangs dripping poison that hissed and burned as it met the snow. It circled the square, flying in low enough to scatter the humans, some of whom were burned by the liquid that dripped from the demon's mouth.

One of the priests, the oldest, dared utter the demon's name as it regained height and soared away out of sight.

The teacher fell to the ground, too afraid to even cry. He had never seen the Great Demon of t he West in his true form. The form he knew was that of a thin, beautiful man. What he'd seen tonight…

Later, much later, he heard a sound in front of his house, and he got up, expecting a lynch mob. Instead he saw the demon steed waiting, and he didn't think twice. He gathered his things and climbed on the back of the two headed beast. In minutes he was back at the castle.

The Great Demon was standing calmly in the courtyard.

"How was your festival?" he asked in that voice that now struck terror deep inside of him.

"It was fine my Lord."

Sesshoumaru looked him up and down, baring his fangs. The teacher took a step back, the images from earlier in the evening coming back full force.

"My Lord, if it pleases you, I'd like to stay here and teach your children."

Fangs gone, Sesshoumaru again studied his claws.

"Very well. Jaken will provide a room for you."