InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Demon Nature ❯ Follow the Yellow Brick Road ( Chapter 12 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Demon Nature Chapter 12 Follow the Yellow Brick Road…

I don't own them. There, I said it. What?

Keiko could feel the difference in the air, and her cousin Machiko, grabbed her by the arm.

"Something is wrong…it feels like…"

"People are here."

"Not people," Machiko said to herself. Keiko's part of the family was very secular, but she and her family kept to the old ways, and she was said to have the powers of a miko. Her body bore birthmarks that looked like a huge bite mark, and her mother said that sometime in the past an incarnation of hers had been killed by a demon. Those marks were aching now, and she felt a fear, no a dread, that almost stopped her in her tracks. Nothing had ever sent cold fear through her before, and she wondered if the old family myth was true, and that the unease she felt whenever she came to the Higurashi compound was related to whatever fate had befallen her in the past.

Entering the compound, the two young women didn't see any visible signs that something was amiss, and they entered the house, which seemed the same. Keiko thought Machiko was over reacting until she saw Sota's face.

"Keiko! I didn't know you were coming…"

"Do I need an appointment Sota? What's wrong with you? You look so pale…"

"Do I? I'm fine, really."

Machiko felt fear as deep and real as it ever could get, her bowels and legs feeling like they would give way any second.

"Let's go watch television…"

"NO!!! I mean, let's go out. Yeah, lets go see a movie."
"Sota, I don't want to see a movie. I want to sit with you and your mother, and watch television. Now let's go."

Mrs. Higurashi appeared with a tray of sushi, ramen, and sashimi, with a good bottle of sake perched on it.

She almost dropped the tray when she saw Keiko.

"Keiko. I didn't know you were coming tonight."

"You have company? Please, let me help you with that tray…"

"NO!!! I'm fine really. Sota, don't you think Keiko would like to see a movie tonight?"

"That's it. Who the hell is here?"

Sota looked at his mother, and she at him, words failing them.

"You were going to the locked room weren't you? Sota, you told me this was a storage room."

"Keiko, please…"

But Keiko was already opening the door, and Machiko, fear rooting her to the spot, stood still, a thin sheen of sweat covering her.

The room was full. There were two men, one with a long white mane, tied with a scarf, the other one with a black knit cap pulled down on his head, with an almost feminine face, and equally long white hair but with what she told herself were tats on his cheeks going back to his ears. A woman was curled up in his lap, her long dark hair in a long thick ebony braid down her back, her eyes glued to the television screen. The man in the knit cap had the woman's hair wrapped around his hand. Keiko thought he was looking at her though, and for a minute she thought she saw fangs as he seemed to snarl at her before she did a double take and saw that he was at rest, his gold eyes regarding her with what could best be described as suspicion, his arm tightening protectively around the woman's waist. The other man regarded her with boredom, more interested in the tray Mrs. Higurashi was carrying. A sharp look from the other woman in the room, who looked remarkably like Sota, made him sit back and wait. Everyone was in jeans, the men in black tees, the women in long sleeved tops from the Gap or Banana Republic. Sneakers were the foot wear of choice.

"Guys, this is Keiko, my fiancée," Sota said, his voice cracking as he put his hand around her waist.

"Hello everyone," she said.

"Keiko, you don't recognize me?" one of the women said, getting up and walking towards her.

"Kagome! Oh my goodness, I didn't realize that was you. How are you?" Keiko said, stepping forward and hugging her.

"Fine. We just got here a little while ago…" Kagome looked over Keiko's shoulder at Machiko, who seemed about to faint she was so pale and pasty looking.

"Is she all right?"

"She was until she came in side the house. I don't know why…"

Rin had managed to turn away from the television, and gave Keiko a smile.

"Hello Keiko. My name is Rin. Kagome has told me a lot about you."

"Hello Rin. You live around here?"

"Uh…"

"No. She's in town for a visit," Kagome said quickly, seeing Sesshoumaru lean over and say something to Rin, causing her to smile. Sess being loving and gentle was something she was still getting used to, and that caused her stomach to do flip flops.

"So. What brings you here?" Kagome asked, talking to stop Rin from doing so. The Japanese they spoke would sound stilted and odd to Keiko and Machiko. Her family was used to their hearing the archaic words and sentence structure.

"Was I supposed to make an appointment to see my…"

Machiko uttered a strange cry, sliding to the floor in a boneless heap.
"Machiko!!!" Keiko cried, running over to her cousin while Sota picked up the cordless and called for emergency medical attention.

"How long until they get here?" Keiko said, trying to remain calm while Sota held onto her, looking at the two demons who sat quietly watching, their golden eyes riveted to the scene. While they were distracted Rin scooted over to the television, touching it in awe. They'd been trying to explain television to her since they'd arrived, but she still wanted to know how the people got inside.

Sess looked up at the sound of the sirens, and looked over at Rin, who was now standing with her hand in mid air, staring in shock at the sound. He got up and moved over to her side, taking her hand and pulling her to him, holding her so that her back was to his chest.

"Sesshoumaru-sama…"she said, her voice trembling.

"What beast makes that noise?!" she asked, turning back to look at him.

"Let's watch and see Rin."

Three people, two men, and a woman rushed in, carrying their equipment. One man knelt next to Machiko, shining a light in her eyes as he lifted her lids.

"Does she have a history of seizures?" the man asked while the other two people opened the stretcher and then put an oxygen mask over Machiko's nose and mouth. Rin and Sesshoumaru, as well as Inu-Yasha, watched in silence while the paramedics worked. Kagome stayed with Keiko and Sota just in case Rin said something that would make Keiko start to ask more questions than she already had.

"We need to take her to the hospital for observation."
"We'll come," Keiko said, taking Sota by the hand. He shot a look at the others in the room and walked away with Keiko.

"Who were those people?" Rin asked, stepping out of Sesshoumaru's grasp and walking over to the window, watching as Machiko was put into the ambulance.

"And where are they taking her?"

"To the hospital."

"Are those the doctor people?"

"No, they're paramedics."

"Para…"

"People who specialize in treating people who get ill suddenly."

"I want to see the hospital. Sesshoumaru-sama told me that's where the doctors are," Rin said brightly, walking over and picking up a jacket.

"We'll take the car," Kagome said, nervous.

"Uh, Kagome, let's take the SUV," her mother said.

"Good idea," Kagome said. "Inu-Yasha and I will sit in the back, and let Sesshoumaru and Rin sit right behind the drivers seat."

"Yeah. I think that's a good idea Mom," Kagome said with a smile.

Rin let out a scream and Sesshoumaru held her, a smile playing at his lips.

"What is this??????!!!!!!!!" she cried, shaking with terror. Mrs. Higurashi pulled over waiting until Rin calmed down.

"Look Rin," Sesshoumaru said patiently. "See the other cars? They're normal for this time."

"It won't hurt me?" Rin asked, clinging to Sesshoumaru for dear life.

"Would I let it hurt you?" Sesshoumaru said calmly, stroking her hair.

"No…"

"If you feel scared, hold onto me."

Kagome gave Inu-Yasha a look, and he sat back, remembering his first time in a car. He was actually studying Rin and Sesshoumaru, and how they were with each other. Kagome slipped her hand into his, and he pulled her closer to him.

"If she's this crazed in the car…"

"The hospital…"

"We promised her."

"I know."

Machiko opened her eyes, blinking as if awaking from a dream. Her body didn't hurt anymore, and she could take a breath without pain.

"Machiko. How do you feel?"

"Keiko? What…what happened?"

"You fainted. The doctor's think you had a seizure…"

"No. I, there was so much pain, I couldn't breathe…"

"It's okay. They want you to stay overnight for observation."

"I want to go home."

"Machiko…"

"No. I want to go home."

"Why? What if you have another seizure?"

"I won't…"

"Machiko, please…"

"I want to go home!!!!!!!"

A nurse appeared and asked what was going on.

"I want to go home. Now."

"Miss…"

"I said I want to go home. I will walk out."

"I'll have to check with the doctor," the nurse said, stepping back outside.

"Why do you want to go home Machiko? This isn't like you."

"I…this was like a dream I used to have as a kid. I would dream I was sitting on a hill, watching the lights of a festival of some sort, and something came up behind me and crushed me with it's fangs. All I remember was trying to breathe, and then nothing. Gen did some prayers for me, and eventually the dreams went away. Until tonight, when I was in the dream. I need to go home."

"Let's see what the doctor says."