InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Demon Nature ❯ Demon Nature Chapter 14 Truth, Dare, Consequences ( Chapter 14 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Demon Nature Chapter 14

Truth, Dare, Consequences…

The original characters are mine. Everyone else belongs to Rumiko Takahashi

"I need an explanation."

Sota looked away from Keiko, not knowing where to begin.

"If you feel that whatever it is, you can't tell me, that it's that horrible, then that's it. It's over."

"Keiko…"

"Tell me Sota. I'm going to be your wife. I should know."

"Keiko…"

She crossed her arms and began to pat her foot, and Sota knew he had to talk.

"A long time ago, when she was had just turned fifteen, Kagome and I went out to the Bone Eater's Well. Something, yeah, something, exploded out of it and pulled her in. I thought she was dead. I told my mother, and my grandfather, and they were both alarmed. But she…she went back to the past, to a time when demon and human lived side by side, when there were wars all over the country…"

"Sota…"

"Keiko, you wanted the truth, I'm giving it to you. Either you shut up and listen, or you're right, it's over."

Keiko saw that it was hard for Sota to give her this explanation, and she sat back, crossing her legs. One shoe dangled from her foot, unheeded.

"When she came back, she told us about all she'd seen, and we thought she'd suffered a concussion until Inu Yasha showed up looking for her."

"Inu Yasha, is from the past?"

"He's a demon, well, half demon. His brother, Sesshoumaru…"

"Don't say that name!!" Keiko shrieked, covering her ears.

"Keiko…"

"That name is equal to the devil in my family. A long time ago, a Demon Lord with that name killed one of my ancestors, a miko who was doing her nightly prayers, for no reason. He is rumored to still rule the West…Sota, you're not telling me…Oh My God!!!!!!!! Sota, no. Please tell me that, that monster is in your house."

Sota didn't respond, and Keiko stood up.

"I should've told you before Keiko. Maybe it wouldn't have gotten this far with us."

"It never would have!! I would've had him bound and killed to avenge my ancestor. Oh! Oh my God!!!"

She whirled on him, face so contorted with pain and hurt he didn't recognize her.

"The Demon was, is rumored to have a human as a wife, a girl named Rin he stole from her village. She said that was her name…"

Keiko looked away. She loved Sota, and the idea of life without him did not appeal to her. But she had to talk to her family, not to Gen, the cousin who had taken over the duties of miko, but to Machiko's mother, the one who was descended from the sister of the miko who had been killed all those centuries ago.

"I love you Keiko, and I want to marry you."

She felt the hot tears well up and fall from her eyes.

"I have to go Sota," she said with more conviction than she felt.

"We have to face this together Keiko. We haven't fought this hard, or come this far…"

"My family has sworn vengeance on the Demon Lord of the West, and all that is his. Many of us have died trying. But if he is here, in this time…"

"He's my brother in law Keiko."

They stood staring at each other with nothing else to say.

"I'm sorry Sota," she said, handing him back his ring.

"So am I Keiko," he said, taking the ring from her.

Machiko lay in the dark, not wanting any light on in her room. Her mother had finally left her alone, but even here Machiko could still see the hurt on her face, and the sorrow in her voice.

"She is reborn into every generation ever since she died, and every generation we vow to destroy the Demon Lord who killed her. When you were born, and I saw the birth marks, I hoped, I prayed, that what they looked like wasn't what they were."

"But there were no demons…"

Her mother sighed, touching her face.

"The only way your body would react like that, the only way the marks would hurt, would be if he were in the area. He put them there…"

"Tell me how she died…please."

Her mother lowered her head, blinking back tears.

"It was the time of the Winter Festival, and all the village was out. They say he dropped her body from the sky like a piece of garbage, that he had punctured her with his claws, and the poison had already done its work when he dropped her…"

"Poison?"

"It's said that his claws have a poison in them that glows green to our sight, and that is burns the flesh from the bone if held in place…"

"What does he look like?"

"They say that in human form he is a very slim man, with long silver hair and with an almost feminine face…"

"And purple markings that run back to his ears. He was in the room at Sota's house," Machiko said, bitterness and anger coloring her voice.

"Keiko couldn't have known…"

"He's her fiancé!!! How come she didn't know?! And she let me walk in there, knowing that his family traffics in demons…"

She sat up, still weak from the pain of her birthmarks.

"I will kill him…"

"You don't have the strength or the skill Machiko!! He is a very old demon, very wise, and very evil. One woman alone can't defeat him."

Machiko's eyes were blazing, and her mother, afraid of fever, gripped her shoulders.

"Listen to me Machiko. We need help with this. We will call all of the family together…"

"No. This is my fight."

"In the end yes. But right now you are weak, and if you go back there he will kill you."

The insanity left Machiko's eyes, and she lay back.

"He killed me for no reason…"

Her mother gasped, and Machiko looked at her.

"Something else happened that night. What was it?"

"There were always stories of a teacher, some said it was him who called the demon down on the festival. He disappeared right after she was killed."

"Then he must be alive too. Do you know his family name?"

"Sakai…"

"We must find him in this time. After I've killed him…"

"This is not then Machiko. If you kill a human…"

"Who caused my death!!!"

"Centuries ago child. Please. Calm down. We'll all talk about this."

"When?"

"Soon."

The house was silent now, and Machiko, despite her condition, dressed in the dark, sneaking out of the house and heading for Keiko's. The least Keiko owed her was answers.

Keiko was sitting by the window. There were no more tears to cry, no more questions to ask herself. If only Sota had told her the truth…

She touched her lips, brushing them lightly with her fingertips. She still loved Sota. He liked gentle things, haiku, trips to the museum, walks in gardens, visiting other shrines. Nothing he did would've put her on guard, except for his reluctance to talk about his sister and her husband. She'd met Kagome a couple of times before, and only seen her husband once. And that time he'd stayed away from her, retreating to the room she now knew hid a suite specially set up for the demon's who could visit at any time.

She sighed, shaking her head. Was Machiko the reincarnated miko who had been killed by the demon so may centuries ago? Was that what those marks on her body meant? And why was Sesshoumaru here in this time?

And how was it possible for his human mate from so long ago to still be alive, and so cute? She was the one person Keiko had been drawn to. Had the once human Rin, because of mating with a demon, now become immortal in her own right?

The sound of voices assaulted her ears, and she heard Machiko's voice raised in anger. So. She knew now. There was no need to run from this confrontation Keiko thought, and stood up, walking to the door of her room, opening it, and stepping out into the living room.

"Machiko."

Her cousin, once her best friend, looked at her with hate filled eyes.

"How could you let me go there and you knew…"

"I didn't know Machiko, not until a couple of hours ago after I made Sota tell me."

"I don't believe you…"

"I knew he was hiding something, but nothing like this, nothing that could be so important to us."

"Then you will help me get back inside…help me do what I must."

"I can't go back there. I'm not engaged to Sota anymore."

Machiko stepped into her cousin's face, her voice not even sounding like it had less than four hours ago.

"You will take me there. And I will kill him."

"You can't kill a demon alone."

"I will."

"No, you can't."

Machiko and Keiko turned at the sound of Machiko's mother's voice.

"You will come home. Now."

"No."

"You will Machiko."

Machiko watched as her father stepped forward, her uncle right behind him.

"If it is Sesshoumaru, you can't kill him. Was he alone?"

"No, his human was with him…"

"And his brother, Inu Yasha?"

"The other one in the room…yes. He had on a scarf to cover his dog ears."

"There is no way we can do this on our own…"

"The only advantage we have is that they don't know who I am," Machiko said.

"We have to strike now."

"Our wards won't hold him child. He is the Demon Lord, ruler of this land through his spawn. It is surprising that he has come into the open in this time. He hadn't been seen for years," her uncle said stroking his chin.

"And you say the human…"

"Rin. She said her name was Rin."

"Alive, or a reincarnation, like Machiko?"

"No one has seen her in centuries. Who would know?"

Keiko had begun to cry again, and she turned away, unable to listen to this discussion.

"I think we need to talk to Sota. He may be able to suggest a method of attack."

All eyes turned to Keiko, who couldn't even begin to respond.

"Should we go there?"

"Another visit could be fatal to Machiko. Make him come here."

"I…"

"You will call him and tell him you want to talk. Now."

Sota hung up the phone, sighing. What was the point of seeing Keiko? It would be like a knife in his gut to see her. But she had insisted, and despite the hour, he got into his car and drove to house.

"Sota."

"Keiko, what's wrong?"

"Sota, run!!!"

"Bitch! Get him!" Machiko shrieked.

Sota didn't have a chance to move, his arms seized by two men.

"You will tell us about the demon, and what he has to do with your family."

Sota never knew where he found the strength to shove the two men, and later he said it was because they were older than him that he was able to do it.

"Keiko…"

Without a second thought she ran to him, taking his hand as they ran out of the house and dove into his car, taking off with a screech of tires. They didn't speak until they pulled into the courtyard of the Higurashi home and shrine.

"Keiko, you can go back home…"

She looked at him, then looked down, her hair hiding her face from view.

"Keiko…" this is not an easy thing. If you break with your family…we'll have to marry right away so that everything is right."

"If you say so Sota," Keiko said softly. Despite the hole in her soul, despite the fear she felt at moving in, she knew she had to do this. And she would have to face the demon brothers, and their human wives.

The sky was turning gray and Keiko yawned.

"You need to rest. Come inside."

She offered no resistance, letting Sota lead her to his room, where he told her to sleep in his bed while he arranged a place for himself on the floor. Both of were from traditional families he thought to himself, and somehow they would have to make this right. Keiko, exhausted, welcomed oblivion. For now she had no need to think. Somehow in the morning things would sort themselves out.

Voices. Keiko woke up to voices, voices she didn't recognize. In fact, she didn't really know where she was right now. She sat up, pushing her hair out of her face as she remembered last night, and what had happened. She had actually run out on her family, run to be with Sota. She looked around the room. Sota's bed linens were folded neatly in a corner, and a towel had been laid out for her use. God, she needed to bathe. The room was neat and clean, and she took her time in the bath, wondering how she would handle seeing Sesshoumaru and his brother, Inu Yasha. She started, sitting up and opening her eyes. She'd been raised not to even think the demon's name to herself, and now she had. Maybe he was using sorcery on her, and her actions were those of someone under his spell. She had heard that he was a powerful sorcerer as well as a full blooded Demon Lord. Some said that was why his human mate had stayed with him. But now she had joined the human family that sheltered him. She stood up, water sluicing down her body, grabbing the towel and drying off. When she finished she wrapped the towel around her and re entered the bedroom.

"Good Morning Keiko," Mrs. Higurashi said with a smile.

"Sota told me you'd come back here with him last night," she said, her voice pleasant but her eyes clearly worried.

"Are you sure you don't want me to drive you home?"

"I'm sure. They want to hurt Sota…"

"He told us…"

"Us?"

"Yes. Kagome, and I."

She knew she was avoiding mentioning the demons, and the human girl who called herself Rin.

"Where is Rin?" Keiko asked.

"She went out a little while ago. She'll be back later."

"Oh."

"There's still some breakfast left. Come out when you're ready."

"Where's Sota?"

"It's after eleven. He's escorting people through the grounds."

"Oh. Does he tell them there's a demon feature?" Keiko said, flopping down on the bed.

"I…I've been raised all my life to hate the demon, and now…"

Mrs. Higurashi sat down across from her.

"I told Sota to tell you the truth about us from the beginning. I think he was afraid because he cares so much for you."

Keiko sighed.

"I'd better get dressed and get it over with."

"Actually, everyone is out. It's just you, Sota and I."

"Oh."

"We don't bite Keiko…oh, well I guess that's a bad choice of words," Mrs. Higurashi said with an apologetic smile.

"How is your cousin?"

"Very angry."

"Angry? She was so sick…"

"I guess I have secrets too Mrs. Higurashi," Keiko said, and she told her the story of the miko killed by the Demon Lord centuries ago, and her family's quest to avenge her death.

"Machiko has marks on her body that show she's the reincarnation of the original miko. They were really hurting her when she came last night, and the demon was here."

Mrs. Higurashi stood up.

"It's getting late Keiko. Let's get some food in you."

Day had turned into night, and Rin stood in the middle of the street watching the lights come on. She'd eaten something called hamburger at a McDonalds restaurant, and dined at a sushi bar. Sesshoumaru had even eaten some with her, letting her mood become his.

"Sesshoumaru-sama… this is so beautiful."

He nodded in agreement. Inu Yasha had told him something about electricity, but he didn't quite understand it.

"Electric lights," Rin said, tripping over the unfamiliar terms.

"Are you cold?"

"Not yet. It's too exciting to get cold."

Sesshoumaru held her close, warming her with the increased heat he generated from his body.

"Better?"

"Yes Master," she said, her eyes on his now. He'd worn shades all day, and now into the night.

"I am hungry though."

They found a restaurant, and Sesshoumaru paid with the hard object Sota had told him was called a credit card.

"I want to go to a club," Rin said, her eyes shining.

"What is that?"

"Kagome said you go and they play music and you dance."

"Dance," he said smiling, careful not to reveal his fangs.

"We'll make a sight trying to do modern dancing."

"Is it so different?"

"Very. Inu Yasha took me to a club one night when I came."

"Can we walk? I want to see everything. I want to remember everything."

It was four when they left the club, Rin hanging onto his arm. Her shock at seeing the semi nude mena nd women in the cages, and the style of dancing had worn off. And she'd one too many pretty pink, blue, and orange drinks. Sesshoumaru looked around, and gently sniffed the air. No one would see. He lifted himself into the air and headed back to the Higurashi Shrine. Rin was still giggling, but she never removed her arms from around his neck, and she kept brushing his neck with kisses. He wondered if this was the first time the touch of her lips didn't arouse him. He hovered over the Shrine, gently sniffing the air. Inu Yasha, Kagome, Mrs. Higurashi, Sota, and the girl. If he did this right, he'd be able to get inside without waking anyone.

"I love you Shessshouma-rooo-saaaaamaaaaaa…"

"Shhh Rin. Lets get you into bed. He knew that she would be sick and he decided to let her feel how it felt.

Landing in the courtyard light as a shadow, he began to walk towards the house, planning to levitate to the second story and enter the room that way. Just before he began to walk he smelled her, and turned around.

"So, it is you."

"Surprised Sesshoumaru?"

"What do you want Leiko?"

"Oh, let me see? Revenge? My domain back?"

"Sakura seems to be doing well there. You are a distant memory."

How he knew that he didn't know.

"What's the matter with your mate Sesshoumaru? Too much alcohol? Pity. How often has her soul reincarnated now?"

"Leave from here," Sesshoumaru said, having removed the alcohol from Rin's blood while he spoke and she looked up at him as he stood her on the ground.

"This place is not for you."

"But it's for you Sesshoumaru? Have you come to love them so much you protect them?"

Sesshoumaru didn't answer, standing calmly while Leiko strolled closer to them. Rin for her part stood her ground.

"You don't dare transform here Sesshoumaru. Poor little Keiko would probably flip out."

"Sesshoumaru had known Keiko was there in the window, and he'd not made any moves because of that.

Both demons and Rin looked up at Keiko, who was frozen in the window, her mouth shaped in a perfect "O", her eyes wide with fear, and fascination.

"All right Sesshoumaru. I'll leave you alone, for now. But you know that we will meet again, and when I defeat you, I will defeat your hanyou whelp. Your magics can't protect her after you're dead."

"My hanyou whelp has held her own against you without my help Leiko, and you know it."

He stepped closer to her, shades gone, his eyes rimmed with red, as were hers.

"When you come Leiko, I will put you out of your misery," he said softly, one glowing green finger moving down the tiger demoness' cheek. With a shriek she shot into the air and out of sight. Rin came over to stand next to Sesshoumaru, linking her arm in his.

"I'm tired Master."

"Come. It's almost dawn."

He held her gently, and slowly rose from the ground, landing on the balcony outside of their room, sweeping her into his arms and carrying her inside.

Keiko was still standing in the window when the sun rose, a sun rise she never saw. Despite the stories told by her family, she'd never really believed in demons and sorcery. Until tonight. And Rin. Rin had stood looking at Sesshoumaru with awe, and love. Was she a reincarnation? Or was she the original Rin.

"No. This is not real. This is not real."

When Sota got up two hours later she was still standing in the window.