InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Demon Nature ❯ Demon Nature Chapter 22 And We Are All Together ( Chapter 22 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Demon Nature Chapter 22 …And We Are All Together

I don't own the Inu Yasha Characters ^_^

Inu Yasha sat behind his brother on all fours, his eyes scanning the assembled throng. He'd wondered why the audience chamber was so large, other than the size both he and his brother became in youkai form, but now the real reason was apparent. Shippo and Riku were sitting on either side of him, the twitch of their tails letting him know they were nervous.

Sesshoumaru had specifically said that every demon that owed him allegiance could not come to this session, that each species should select one of their kind to represent them. Demons being what they were, every species had sent two representatives. There were insects, rodents, things that resembled snakes, snakes, slugs, deer, horses, baboons, cattle, pigs, birds, and some that he had no idea what they were. There were also humanoids, demons who walked on two legs, had two arms and one head, but that was where the resemblance to humans ended. Some had multiple eyes, some one, some claws, some hooves, and some, well, he didn't want to think about it.

And there were demons like themselves, demons who could assume human shape and walk among them. They sat calmly in the front, watching him and Sesshoumaru for the first indication that there was any sort of enmity between them. Yesterday they'd been at each others throats over going to Kagome's time. Today, they were united.

Yesterday had started with Sesshoumaru coming into Inu Yasha and Kagome's apartments just after breakfast and asking to speak with him, alone. Kagome had reluctantly left them alone, and Sesshoumaru had taken a seat at the low table.

"Kagome and Rin must be hidden tomorrow during the meeting. Some of the beings coming are, well, if they scent human blood we will have a fight on our hands we can't win."

"How?"

"There are caverns further back in the complex. My servants keep them clean, and stocked with food they like. Once they are there, I will seal it off, it will be as if it isn't there."

"Like you do with this place."

"Yes, but more secure even than that."

"I want to see it Sesshoumaru. And what about Shippo and Riku?"
"They are demons. No need to hide them."

If he hadn't been led to it, Inu Yasha would never have found it, or known of its existence.

"Are you satisfied brother?" Sesshoumaru had asked in what passed for a normal speaking voice for him. Inu Yasha already knew that the only person who would ever see a relaxed Sesshoumaru was Rin.

"Yes."

Kagome had understood the need to not be detected at once, and this morning she'd met Rin in her apartment, and together they'd followed him and Sesshoumaru to the location. Rin had gasped when she saw the flowers that were blooming there, and shot her mate a look that promised an inquisition when this was over. He'd always imagined Rin to be totally subservient to his brother, but he was beginning to see she wasn't. Kagome walked through it, and was surprised at how comfortable it was. Light infused the place, lit by small light emitting demons that were spelled to do nothing but emit light. There was food, even ramen Inu Yasha noted, and he wondered when Sess had had time to bring all this stuff here.

Both women had staked claim to whatever part of the place they wanted by the time Sesshoumaru finished his concealment spell.

"Be careful Master," Rin had called out just as the seal fell into place, and he'd thought her outburst childish.

But Rin had been here a long time, and obviously knew what she was saying. Jaken held the staff of the two heads as he stood in front of Sesshoumaru, his face grim. Sesshoumaru stood in full armor, his golden eyes rimmed with red. For his part Inu Yasha allowed his eyes to glow red as he looked over the assembled throng. Only Sesshoumaru's will was holding the assembled demons back from attacking him and taking over this place. That, and the monstrous demons Sesshoumaru called upon to guard the doors, their midnight blue skin crackling with dark lightning.

Inu Yasha expected Sesshoumaru to use a thundering voice to overwhelm the throng. Instead, his voice was pitched for normal speaking. Only the aura of power he allowed to shimmer around him gave any indication that he was more than the slim pale man demon who stood in front of them.

"The Demons of the East, North and South conspire against us here. This you know. Many of you have feasted on their minions who've been entering our territory. Many of you have come to me asking permission to mount raids into their territory to avenge their incursions. And I have told you to wait, to kill anyone you find in your way, but not to follow them."

The room was hushed now, and Sesshoumaru continued.

"The time for restraint is over. During this winter the Demoness of the North sent one of her spies practically into my household. I sent him back to her, and even though he was dead, his body killed many of her household. And now I find that she had lured someone in my own household, someone who was near me every day, to her side."

This surprised Inu Yasha, and he was as rapt as everyone in the room, waiting to see who was brought out. Had Kagome been in danger too?

Taisho and Sakura brought a struggling young demon out. They'd obviously already had their fun with him, he was bleeding heavily, and the scent of blood sent a rumble through the gathered throng. He was trembling in terror now as he stood before Sesshoumaru, who was still not being more than a mortal man. With one move Sesshoumaru lassoed the hapless demon with his lariat of power, causing him to scream in agony as the energy coursed though his body.

"Who else?" Sesshoumaru asked softly.

"No, no one Sesshoumaru-sama. No one…"

Sesshoumaru's poisonous claws took a chunk of flesh from the demon's torso and flung it into the throng, which began to fight over it. The demon was ready to pass out, but Sesshoumaru didn't let him.

"Who else?"

Within minutes of the young demon's naming names Taisho and Sakura, eyes bright red, left, bringing back three more demons, demon's who had been in Sesshoumaru's household for a long time. Without hesitation he tossed them alive to the throng, and the air became heavy with the scent of demon blood and feeding. But still the original traitor was not dead.

"There are more. Tell me," Sesshoumaru said, his voice now that of the sorcerer, his eyes blood red.

"Tell me where her troops are hidden."

The demon shook his head no, and Sesshoumaru raked his glowing green claws across the part of the demon's torso that hadn't been torn before. Some of the demons had not had a chance to feast, and they were anxious to know where the troops were stationed as well, knowing their Lord very well after all this time.

Sesshoumaru calmly plucked an eye out of the demons head and tossed it upwards, allowing some of the birds a chance to feed.

"One hundred men, camped just beyond the shoreline. They are mixed in with the humans."

"She sent humans…"

"Their souls are hers," the young demon managed to gasp out, pain making it difficult for him to talk.

Sesshoumaru growled and turned away from the demon, no longer interested. He knew where the troops were. He needed to make it look as if he'd wrung this confession out of the traitor. He'd known for a few weeks now that the young being was working with Leiko. Only the need to stage a show had held him back from acting sooner.

"Bring me their bones," he said to the throng, his voice ending in a growl of anger, and power.

With that the guards threw open the doors and the horde headed for the exits, howls, what passed for giggles, and sheer glee on the faces of the beings that streamed out. Inu Yasha knew the small fishing village would be wiped out, but that this was the only way to keep the demons loyalty. Those that stayed were salivating over eating the young traitor, who was still alive. As if he were flicking a piece of garbage from his fingers he tossed the traitor to the remaining demons, who devoured him, bones and all.

The ones who had remained were his field generals, the demons who would lead the charge against Leiko.

"Bring me her head," was all Sesshoumaru said. They nodded, and left.

The remaining servants had already started to wash the blood and gore from the floor and walls.

"Will you join them?"

"In a day or two, when I see how things are going. You should come with me."

Inu Yasha nodded.

Taisho and Sakura were standing by hopefully, and they were rewarded.

"You will come with Inu Yasha and I. Be ready in two days."

"Yes Sire," they said, bowing deeply.

Rin rushed to Kagome to help her shift her position, and Kagome was really thankful for her assistance.

"You like the shampoo I see?"

"Oh yes Kagome-chan. I like the way my hair feels when you use it. Are you better now?"

"Yes. Thank you."

"Will you be going to your time soon?"

Kagome looked sharply at Rin. There was no way she didn't know about the fight that Inu Yasha and Sesshoumaru had had the day before she thought to herself.

"I would like to," she said cautiously, watching for Rin's response.

"My Master said now is a bad time for you to go, with so many demons out after us. If they smell Inu Yasha on you, you are in trouble."

"I wanted you to come with me."

"My Master says no…"

"Will you stop saying that! He is your mate, not your Master Rin."

"He is both for me Kagome. I was dead, and he used his powerful sword to bring me back to life. Does that not make him my Master?"

"I…"

"I didn't want to fall in love with him, I didn't think he would want me, a mere human girl he'd known since I was a little kid. But when I met human boys, I compared them to him. I decided that I would stay with him until he got sick of me and threw me out. Then maybe I'd find a human I could stand and have his children and take care of his house."

"But?"

"But I met someone I wanted to like, in the village, and My Master found out about it. He told me I should leave, that I needed to be with humans, not with him. I realized then that I wanted no part of the human world, that if I had to spend the rest of my life with him, I would, even if it meant putting up with his mating other women…"

"Female demons…"

"Yes."

"Did he do that?"

"Not that I ever found out," Rin said softly.

"But I wasn't trying to find out either. But I know he had to be, I mean, he was already a Demon Lord."

Kagome looked down, afraid to speak. Rin had never spoken to her about Sesshoumaru, and how they'd become lovers, and she was afraid to interrupt, afraid she would stop talking. Rin took her silence another way however, and made to get up.

"I'm talking about crazy stuff and you're tired. I'll let you sleep," she said, standing up and smoothing her kimono. It was beautiful, and very expensive. She wondered where Sesshoumaru had gotten it from.

"I'm okay Rin. Really."

"No, you need to sleep. No one wants to know why I love my Master so."

"I do Rin. We're sisters in law, and we never talk. You know all about Inu Yasha and me. And who would I tell about you and Sesshoumaru?"

"He is my mate Kagome, as Inu Yasha is yours. You would no more tell me about the first time you mated with him than tell me how he does it with you now, and you know it."

"I always wanted to know how old you were when…when you became his life mate."

"I was old, I was already seventeen, almost eighteen, when it happened. And I had Taisho soon after. You really should take a nap Kagome."

"I'm not your enemy Rin."

"You and Inu Yasha hate my Master, and I know it. And if you hate him, you hate me."

With that Rin walked away, and Kagome hung her head, wondering if she would ever be able to gain Rin's trust. Like Rin, she had long lived in the demon world, but unlike Rin, she had maintained some contact with humans through her family. Rin had had no real contact with humans for years now, her family was long dead, and Kagome realized she thought more like a demon than a human. How else could it be since she was Sesshoumaru's mate, and had been with him since she was five or six years old. She yawned, and lay down on the soft bedding, suddenly very tired.

Back in her rooms Rin sat down and took deep breaths to compose herself. Why did she always mess up when she talked to Kagome? Kagome had only been trying to get to know her she thought to herself, so why had she blown up and pushed her away? Was it because she had been cursed and driven out of one too many places because she was with Sesshoumaru? How many times had humans called her a demon whore, and tried to kill her? Since she'd been a child the only persons who had cared for her, who had looked after her, and eventually loved her was the Demon Lord Sesshoumaru. She did not miss human contact, and preferred the world she lived in now. But Kagome, and the child she was carrying, would be her company when the war started in earnest. Kagome didn't think of her as a whore, in fact Kagome was probably the only person alive who would understand why she had a healthy mistrust of her kind. Demons she expected to be twisted and devious, and accepted that. Humans lied to your face and smiled while they were doing it. Humans had been hateful to her after her parents died, preferring that she starve rather than feed and take care of her. And when the wolves had attacked…

"Rin?"

She turned, surprised to see Kagome standing there.

"I tried to sleep, but I, I thought that we needed to talk some more. I don't want to hurt you Rin."

"I know."

"But when we talk, you get angry and push me away. Why is that?"

"The only one who has ever been good to me is my Master. Humans…don't like me."

"I like you."

"Do you?"

"I want to, if you'll let me."

Rin looked down.

"I would like us to be friends, and sisters. I don't know how to do that."

"Well, I can talk a lot, and I argue a lot, but I want to be your friend too."

"What about the sister part Kagome? Shouldn't that be there too?"

"It takes time to get that close. And you were right, I was prying. I just, I thought that we could talk about how it is being with demons and all."

"Demon whores?" Rin said, looking up at her. Kagome noticed that Rin's hair was in her old style, the side pony tail was just extremely long now, and no longer childish.

"Who said that to you?"

"Humans," Rin said angrily, her kimono bunched up in her hands as she remembered the incidents, and how she'd felt afterwards.

"We're human Rin."

"I know. And while our mates are alive, we are immortal, but humans just the same."

"You don't like that?"

"I have my moments," Rin smiled, the first real smile Kagome had ever seen Rin give that wasn't directed to Sesshoumaru.

"And you still need to sleep Kagome."

"I know. Mind if I lay down here? I don't feel like being alone right now."

"Sure. Is this comfortable enough? I can get more bedding…"

"I'm fine," Kagome yawned, closing her eyes and falling into a deep sleep. Rin looked at her, not sure how to react. This was not their room, just the one she was using today until he came for her. Kagome looked a little drawn, and Rin, remembering her pregnancy with Sakura, wondered if she should start looking for a midwife for Kagome now. As soon as they were freed from this place she would talk to Sesshoumaru about that.

The news of the massacre filtered out quickly. The attack had taken place in the middle of the day, and when men and women didn't come home at night mates and children left to find out what had happened. One look at the carnage had sent them screaming back to their homes and temples, dragging out priests and priestesses to see what had been done. It was impossible to find intact bodies, the remains showed that the people had been torn to shreds. The men and women entrusted with the burial of the remains and cleansing of the village went about their work grimly. Flesh had been torn from bones, and the blood had seeped into the snow painting a macabre scene.

The next evening, in the light of the bonfire, one priest spoke up.

"We have all sensed that a war was brewing among the demons. We didn't think it would affect people, but apparently it will. It's time we began to prepare to counter whatever they have in mind…"

"We're talking demons here, evil…"

"Someone planted the demon possessed here among humans. That means that there is a strategy being utilized. Without one, scenes like this will become more common."

No one argued against him, and he continued.

"We will meet at my temple in two days. Be prepared for war."

Sesshoumaru sat silently watching as bones of the deceased were piled up in the audience room. He glanced over at his brother, who seemed calm enough and not put off by the spectacle they were witnessing. In blood frenzy, demons didn't make any distinctions, man, woman, child, old, young, were devoured. Since Sesshoumaru had asked for bones, they had brought bones back, silently laying them at his feet and backing off to allow the next demon to present its gift. By nightfall the procession had stopped, and Sesshoumaru stood, sniffing the air.

"What is it?" Inu Yasha asked.

"Humans. They're a lot of them together at the foot of the mountain…" He threw his head back and howled the sound echoing in his home. Kagome stirred in her sleep but didn't wake up. Rin felt her heart start to race, and didn't know why. The sound didn't penetrate here, but its effect did.

And at the base of the mountain the assembled throng continued its work, hoping to build up enough power to contain the demons known to reside there. They felt the howl as a wave of power coming down the mountain, and their leader gasped, understanding the significance of the wave. The Demon Lord himself must be here he thought to himself, increasing his efforts to help build the containment spell before it could be shattered.

Sesshoumaru looked at his brother, eyes already red, his face elongating.

"Stay here and make sure, if the glamour fails, that Rin and Kagome get to safety."

Inu Yasha understood and nodded in agreement. Sesshoumaru was the sorcerer, the magic master, and as such he had to fight this battle. Inu Yasha cared nothing about magic, until now of course, when Kagome was in danger.

"Here brother," Inu Yasha said, and Sesshoumaru, despite being in the middle of transforming, appeared stunned as Inu Yasha handed him a shard of the Shikon Jewel. Secreting it on his person, with a roar he completed his transformation and took off in a flash down the mountain. With his demon eyes he could see the barrier they were trying to construct as a physical entity, a glimmer within the shine of the night.

"Master, the Demon comes," one of the nuns said softly, her eyes wide with fear.

"I sense him. Let him come. Be ready."

He had no idea if his plan would work, if they would be able to trap Sesshoumaru and destroy him. He didn't have much time to ponder that because a blast of fire came from the mountain side, staggering the collective will of the monks, nuns, and priests. The light of the fire illuminated the source, a staff of some sort, with the head of an old man spewing fire which was heading towards them at a speed he'd never seen before. While he stood watching that, the sound of screams reached his ears as the Demon Lord Sesshoumaru swooped down on the throng, scattering them and breaking the spell. The huge canine, eyes red as fire, roared as it released the poison gas it carried in its claws, causing many of the religious to fall gasping for air, inhaling the poison, and retching until they passed out, dead. And those the fire, or the gas didn't get, the saliva from the dog fell in huge droplets, incinerating people.

"Hide!!!" he yelled.

"Do not try and take it on yourself. We don't want martyrs…"

But the demon carrying the staff advanced, wildly cackling at the sight of so much human death and destruction. Any bush that could be used for cover was now on fire, and the farmers, worried about their crops, began to curse the assembled religious people. At the same time the Demon Lord, using the power boost the jewel gave him, began to search the minds of those still alive for the leader, hovering in the air, suspending his death dealing, waiting to sense the controlling mind. The priest felt the probe into his brain as if someone had rammed a metal spike between his eyes, and took a step back, frantically trying to stop the demon from taking over his mind. While the canine hovered his poisonous saliva rained down on the ground, searing the vegetation there. The priest heard a voice in his head, a taunting voice, a voice smooth as expensive silk.

"You come to destroy me?" it asked in emotionless tones.

"You send your minions…to destroy us…"

The canine, large dog, large wolf, he couldn't tell, was staring at him, waiting.

"You want me to spare you. Why?"

As it spoke the demon was descending until it stood in front of the hapless priest, more than three times his size, and big as a small mountain itself. The red eyes bored into him, and the priest knew he was dead, his mind couldn't function anymore, and his body wouldn't run. He felt his bowels release, and closed his eyes in final prayer, hoping his death would be painless. It wasn't. With a sweep of its claws the demon sliced his body into pieces. The priest screamed once in pain, them was silent. The demon looked up as his generals, still in the area, descended and began to feed. He watched them as they ate, looking around as his nose picked up more of the humans, coming his way. He growled ominously, and waited for them to break into the clearing. The scent of the man leading the way was familiar…long ago…

"Lord Sesshoumaru, please, we the people of this area did not ask for the priests to do this. Long have we lived in your domain, and given you offerings. We will double our tribute if you spare us in your wrath."

In this form human reasoning wasn't strong, but Sesshoumaru knew the scent, knew it, and couldn't place it.

What the hell did he care about tribute when right now he needed loyalty, and if the humans equated loyalty with tribute, so be it. Jaken stood at his side, the staff at the ready. The only sounds were those of the lesser demons feeding on the carcasses of the dead humans.

"Lord Sesshoumaru will accept your tributes as a sign of your recognition of his power," Jaken croaked, stepping forward to stand in front of Sesshoumaru.

"And if you harbor foreigners again, tonight will be nothing compared to what will happen."

Rin. Someone was thinking about Rin…the leader? How did he know…now the scent was familiar, now he knew who the man was. He had taunted Rin long ago about the nature of her relationship with Sesshoumaru, asking her if the demon fucked her so good she didn't want a human anymore. They had not mated at that time, and Rin, at seventeen, had been hurt by his words. Sesshoumaru had sworn revenge, but soon after that he and Rin had mated, and soon after that he made her his life mate.

The man, who had never seen Sesshoumaru in human form, was wondering how Rin could bed a demon this large. Sesshoumaru wanted to show him, but knew the minute he assumed human form they would attack. The growls deep in his chest sounded like an approaching storm to the gathered humans, and the leader wavered a bit, wondering if this thing in front of him could read his mind. It was looking at him with a strange expression on its face. Jaken looked back at Sesshoumaru, listening to his instructions.

"Be here in three days with the tribute," Jaken squawked. Sesshoumaru lifted himself from the ground and disappeared, Jaken in his wake.

"How will we do this?" a man asked, looking at the man who led them.

"We have no choice. When the demon's war, we humans must look for protection."

"Yes sir," the man said, stepping back to stand with the other three men who had come. For his part the leader walked away, careful not to look at the carnage on his left as he did. He was married now, had children now, but he had never forgotten Rin. He had never seen the demon face to face, and having done so, wondered how…he cut the thought off. She was there with the demon, where she wanted to be. He had no right to judge her.

The leader trudged back home, staggering into his hut barely able to stand. His wife stood waiting for him, and he noticed something was wrong. Blood was streaming down her legs, and she appeared dazed.

"What…"

He caught her before she fell, and looked under her clothes. His screams brought his neighbors, and they in turn found a miko from a nearby settlement, theirs had been killed in the confrontation with the demon. Sleep, which he had sought as an escape from the horror the night had become, was not even an option as the miko, and the local women, worked to try and save his wife's life. It was late morning when the miko emerged, her clothing stained with blood.

"What…"

"A demon, a humanoid one, raped her. His, his, member was so large it tore her up inside."

"Will she…"

"She will live. It's too soon to know if…"

"If what? You said it tore her up inside…"

"Yes. Let's just leave it at that."

"You think she could be pregnant for it don't you?!!"

"It happens. I don't know if it happened here."

"Oh my God. How could this have happened? Why did we let those strangers stay with us?" he wailed.

"If you wish, we can take her to the temple. If nothing happens, she will come back to you. If she is pregnant, we will terminate the pregnancy."

"Can you do it now?"

"She's too weak. Otherwise I'd make the herbs for her now. I have to wait."

"I will come with you. She is my wife."

He bundled up his children, making a small procession as they made their way to the temple, his wife on a litter to stop her from standing up. He knew her, and hoped that she would not try and kill herself. It was not her fault that this had happened. He doubted if Sesshoumaru had committed the act himself, probably one of his underlings had done this. But he knew that in his lair, Sesshoumaru was laughing at the form his revenge had taken. Somehow the demon had known he was thinking about Rin. Making sure his children were comfortable, he lay down, closing his eyes, sleep coming at once.