InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Demon Nature ❯ Demon Nature Chapter 23 More Than One Can Play That Game ( Chapter 23 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Demon Nature Chapter 23 More Than One Can Play That Game

Note: I don't own the Inu Yasha characters!! ^_^

Yore sat next to her son, a serene expression on her face. Yukio occupied the chair her father had for so many years, his face appearing to be neutral instead of serene, as befit a ruler of a domain. Despite it being winter, despite the difficulty humans had in traveling at this time of year, the news of what had happened in the West had spread quickly to the South, and the demons Yukio ruled had begun to grumble. Captive minor demons had told them that Sesshoumaru and Inu Yasha had held a grand council where they'd been told to pursue any and everyone to where they'd come from and destroy them, that the Western Demon Domain considered itself under attack by hostile forces, and was not going to sit back and be over run.

It was not rocket science for Yukio to decide that he had to do the same thing his sire had done, and he had quickly convened not a grand council, but a council of the generals, the demons who would lead the organized fight against the forces his father would send. Yemon had not trusted too many people, and the demons assembled before him and his mother were mostly canine, something Yukio thought he'd have to do something about if he wanted loyalty from all the demon ranks.

"Yukio-sama, it appears the war has already begun. The Lord Sesshoumaru has not relented in his attempt to take over our domain, and I for one have no desire to live under his rule. We have been on our own since before his Lord Father came into being, and it says something that as notable a demon as his father did not attempt what he is doing."

"The Lord Sesshoumaru is not his father," Yukio said softly, making sure he met everyone's eyes, knowing that many of the demons thought otherwise because like his father Sesshoumaru had a human mate.

"Many of us feel that you will make a deal with your Sire, Yukio-sama," one of the generals said gruffly.

"I will do what's best for my domain. Right now that does not include making a deal with the Demon Lord of the West," Yukio said, his serene expression eroding to one bordering on anger.

Duly chastised, the large gray wolf ling stood down, bowing deeply. Many of the dog demons in the chamber growled deeply in their chests, upset at the meaning behind the words of the demon who had spoken. An outsider would say that canines were canines, but the wolves had long held themselves apart from the dogs, and mating between them, while not unheard of, was rare. Yore had not revealed who her son's sire had been for a reason, knowing what the reaction of the wolves would be. They considered themselves superior to the dogs, and now, with a half dog demon sitting on the throne, they were not happy.

Hotaru sat behind a screen observing the scene. She was still weak, but had insisted on being able to be present at the council meeting. She knew her condition now, that she would never bear pups for her mate, and that had cut her so deep, her hatred of Sesshoumaru, his family, and the human witch who had poisoned her, would never be slaked. Sesshoumaru had a human mate, and if he got his way, hanyou would rule the domains, the only true Demon Lord being Yukio here in the south. To put hanyou on the same level as youkai made her blood boil. Her nurse, seeing her eyes begin to burn red, cautioned her to calm down lest the bleeding begin again. She forced her rage down, keeping her eyes fixed on the scene in front of her.

"I will convene a council. Every demon, of every species, will send a representative."

He held up his hand to stop the voices raised in protest at being in the same room with the lesser demons.

"The West is united, from the highest to the lowest, with its Lord. We can't fight them unless we are united. If anyone disagrees with me, please let me know now."

Of the twenty five people present, thirteen stood. Yukio stood, and with a blast of power from his hands, cremated the five closest to him, dog and wolf alike. The other eight quickly sat down.

"I am the Lord of the South. We are fighting a war for our survival. Who but the son of Sesshoumaru has a chance to defeat him?"

There were nods of agreement among the remaining demons, and Yukio glared at each of them, bronze eyes looking like molten lava.

"The dissenters will be replaced by representatives from the lesser demons. I will choose from among their leaders before the War Council. All of the species must be represented. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes my Lord, we understand."

"Then this meeting is over."

When the last demon was gone, Yore looked up at her son with pride. He noted the look in her eyes, and gave her a steely glare in return before lifting his eyes to meet those of Hotaru.

"My mate needs her rest. Please see to it that she is comfortable."

"Yes my Lord," Yore said, bowing deeply to her son before rising and leaving to supervise Hotaru's return to her bedchamber, wondering if he would join her later.

Yukio sat alone in the room, his mind on someone far away from the court. He couldn't go to Ai now, it was too dangerous to draw attention to the fact that she was carrying his pup, child, as she insisted on calling it. It was important for him to be seen as standing by his demon mate, to not make the whispers about hanyou shouts. Rin-sama was his father's only weakness, and he never forgot that during the few days he'd been there, he had not seen or scented her even once. So when he was assured that Hotaru was comfortable, he went to her, sitting at her side and touching her face.

"How do you feel?"

"Tired my Lord," she said softly, her lips brushing his hand.

"You shouldn't have exerted yourself…"

"I am the first casualty of this war with your Sire, My Lord. I should be there."

"Surely you don't think my Sire…"

"Who else? The human witch is his creature, he owns her totally. How could it not be him who sent her to do this to me?"

Yukio held her to him, wishing he'd left her alone, that he'd ignored his mother's advice and stuck to his guns about Ai. Sesshoumaru was guilty of many things, the humans were now trying to organize against the demons, many of whom didn't bother humans at all, with the idea of neutralizing the minor demons and trapping and killing the Demon Lords, but he had not been behind this attack on Hotaru. It served no strategic purpose, and his sire was nothing if not a strategic thinker.

"You're upsetting yourself Hotaru. Please. You must regain your strength. I want you at my side during this campaign."

"My Lord…"

She broke down in tears, and he held her chin up, amazed at her reaction.

"Hotaru…"

"I was sure you would banish me. It would be politic to choose a new mate, probably a canine."

"I chose you, and the actions of a witch will not change that."

She lay against him, and he was shocked to feel how thin she was through the layers of silk covering her body.

"Lay down and rest. I will come to you later."

"Yes my Lord," she said with a sigh, looking into his eyes as he lay her down. When she closed her eyes and Yukio saw that she was asleep, he stepped outside her room, his eyes falling on her mother, who bowed as he approached.

"My Lord?" she asked, keeping her eyes lowered.

"Hotaru is not eating," he said softly, surprised at how much he sounded like his sire.

"She eats soup…"

"She needs food, food to fortify her demon strength, not human soup."

"Sire, your Lady Mother…"

Yukio turned and headed for his mother's suite.

"What are you doing?"

"About what My Lord?"

"You are feeding Hotaru soup???!!!"

"She's had a rough time…"

"Mother…"

"…well you do need a mate who can provide you with pups, and she obviously can't anymore. I just assumed that you would want someone to give you youkai children…"

"Mother, Hotaru is my mate. She was injured…"

"By an agent of your sire…"

"You know that attacking her serves no purpose. Her family has no power on its own. You can feed her that shit all you want, but you know better."

Yore bared her fangs, and snarled at her son.

"You need an heir my son, and no one here in the south will accept your hanyou children as rulers."

Yukio felt himself begin to transform, and his mother did the same.

"Yes I know about your whore," she spoke into his mind while they circled each other, fangs dripping and the room filling with a poisonous miasma.

"I know she carries your pup. Why don't you bring her here, be as bold as your sire, as his sire, and flaunt you love for lesser beings."

So, the bitch didn't know where Ai was. That was a good thing.

"Lead your troops into battle with the smell of a human on you…"

His move caught her by surprise, the poisonous claws scraping her side to the bone.

"So, you assault your mother now?"

"You killed my grandfather without a second thought."

"Kill me and you will have a rebellion on your hands. Jomei will make good on his threats and assume control. See how your human bitch fares after you're dead My Lord."

Again Yukio moved to quickly for her, his fangs missing her throat by the slightest of margins, but his claws found her shoulders, leaving deep gashes.

"You are a fool…"

She shimmered back to human form, slumping to the ground and bleeding heavily from her wounds. Yukio had followed suit, staring down at her impassively.

"You haven't marked her, which means you marked the human bitch as yours Yukio. I don't know where you hid her, but her child will be born soon, and I have a watch on all the midwives. I will know when the child is born, and I will give it the same chance Hotaru's child had."

Yukio's only strength was to not respond, to not acknowledge how the words she uttered pierced him through to the bone, his fear for Ai rising to an almost fever pitch. To acknowledge Ai carried his pup would mean her death.

"I will not put Hotaru aside mother."

"Then take a concubine. Neutralize Jomei by taking his daughter. I assume you're demon enough to handle two demons, and a human female?"

Yukio had known Jomei's daughter all of his life, and the thought of pulling out his claws one at a time appealed to him more than bedding the vain bitch he knew.

"Your argument makes sense mother, but it will not be Jomei's daughter…"

"Not the one you know, Rei. The other one, the younger one, Chiyo. She is a virgin, and she is just now coming into heat. Meet her."

Yukio snarled and turned on his heels, leaving the room. Yore lay back on the floor, pain racing through her body. Yukio was his father's son, and she knew the next time he attacked her, she would not survive.

Her body servant came into the room and ran out, shrieking. Yore closed her eyes, letting herself sleep. In two days her body would be clear of the poison, and she would heal.

Jomei's mate, Takara, looked up as the servant entered her room.

"My Lady, Lord Yukio's servant, Shinji, is here with a request for you from Lord Yukio."

"Send him in," she said, glancing at her attendants. What would Lord Yukio want with her? Shinji came in and bowed deeply.

"Lord Yukio requests you to present your daughter Chiyo to him tomorrow after moon rise."

Takara had to struggle to retain her composure. Her attendants were looking at Shinji as if he had lost his mind.

"Please inform my Lord the honor is mine. Chiyo will be there."

"I will not!!!" Chiyo stomped her small feet in protest.

"This is not a request Chiyo. He will mate with you…"

"I don't want to mate with him!!!!!!! I don't know him. I don't like him…."

"He is your master, and you will do what any female in your position does, you will learn to love him."

"He has a mate…"

"Hotaru is barren," her father said, stepping out of the shadows. "He needs heirs. It will honor our family to have you bear his pups."

"He's a creep. He's old…"

"Chiyo…"

"Why didn't he want Asuka? She loves that crap."

"There is nothing to discuss. You will prepare yourself, and you will mate with him. Prepare her Takara."

"Yes, my Lord," Takara said, bowing deeply before turning to her daughter.

"Look at your hair!"

She bellowed for her personal maid, and Chiyo, knowing she couldn't do anything about this, that she had no say in the matter, went along, her mind seething. Asuka, her sister, would be happy beyond belief at this chance. She herself was among a group of young demons who had begun to learn to write, read, and discuss things that didn't have to do with wars, or politics, or killing. But her best friend had been married off last year, and now it was her turn. The prattle of the servants was annoying her, and she tuned into it to hear what they were saying.

"…what an honor for Chiyo to be chosen. Yukio-sama is truly concerned with the domain, that it remains stable and have demons ready to inherit should he falter."

"Yes. His pup that was killed by Sesshoumaru was male. Hopefully Chiyo will do the same for him, bear him a son."

"If he can tame her. She is so wild, so willful…"

"Not feminine like Hotaru."

"I feel so for her, to have her child, her womb, destroyed inside of her…"

"But he does love her, he won't put her aside…"

"Against the wishes of Lady Yore."

"Chiyo will only be a concubine, but she will be the mother of the heirs to the Southern Domain."

"And they will be youkai, not like Sesshoumaru's half breeds."

"With any luck, our Lord will defeat Sesshoumaru and assume control of his domain."

There was general agreement on that point.

"At least he is handsome…"

"And he likes books just like Chiyo does."

"We'll see. Let's just make sure Chiyo doesn't shred this kimono."

Chiyo closed her eyes. She was nothing more than a piece of property to be bartered and given away. No matter what they said, if she submitted to Lord Yukio, it would not be without a fight.

Ai felt the warmth start at her head, and flow down her body, and she groaned as it burst in her groin, continuing down to her toes. Yukio thrust into her with force, no longer able to contain his desire, and they came together in a flood, his seed filling her and oozing from her at the same time, her body unable to contain it all. Spent for the moment, he gently eased her to her back, his eyes taking in her swollen breasts, running his tongue over the engorged nipples, causing her to moan in pleasure.

"Yukio…"

"Yes my love?"

"I love you Yukio. Drink me…"

"Not now. When the pup is born, I will drink my fill. Not now."

Instead he stroked the now healed lines on her back, and felt her hot fluid wash over his semi erect penis, causing him to harden again. He had been afraid to mate with her, afraid that his thrusts would cause her discomfort, but she had missed him, and all thought of restraint flew out the window when he saw her. Her abdomen was too swollen for him to take her any other way but the way he would take Chiyo tomorrow, dog style. Her inner muscles clamped on him, and she moved back into him so that she could take all of him inside of her. With a strangled cry he gripped her shoulders and plunged in as deeply as he could, burying his fangs in her shoulder as he moved in and out of her hot opening, his cries mixing with hers.

She would not go the full ten moons humans usually did, she would go seven or eight, and this seemed an interminable time to him. The nun would deliver her child, and he would be here if he could be, although he had heard females often ran the males off during and right after birthing their pups. He wondered if human females did that.

Later he told her about Chiyo, and how he had almost killed his mother.

"I don't pretend to know the ways of demons, I only know you my love," Ai said softly.

"But if your esteemed sire told you she was dangerous, you should pay attention to that."

"I know," he said, running a hand through her silky hair.

"But she is right, I need full demon heirs to my domain."

"Will you mark her like me?" Ai asked, fighting back tears.

"No, only you will wear my mark."

She kissed him passionately, and even though it was close to the time he should leave, he had to take her again, to feel himself inside of her. His rough tongue licked her all over, including her ultra sensitive nipples, and she spread her legs, wanting him. He lifted her gently and turned her so she was on her knees, her wet orifice waiting his entry.

"Come love, let me take you so it won't hurt."

"Yukio…"

"Shhh. We don't have a lot of time."

Yukio had taken the chance to come and see Ai, to make sure that she was all right. He felt that the shields Nishi had constructed would hold, but with him mother…

He'd left after all his senses told him anyone who would report him was asleep, shooting straight up into the sky and going as quickly as he could to the Temple. Ai had been asleep when he'd arrived, but welcomed him into her arms, claiming his mouth with her kiss.

She lay asleep now, curled on her side, and he kissed her cheek gently. He had to leave, had to be back before they all woke up. Tonight he would mate with Chiyo, but just like he had done with Hotaru, he would close his eyes and think of Ai.

Chiyo could barely walk. The kimono was so full servants had to hold it for her. Her head hurt because of all the pulling on her hair that had taken place since Shinji had announced her choice to be the concubine to the Demon Lord himself, and her face, covered with rice powder, her lips stained red, and her eyes lined with black, was not her own. How could he even like her if he couldn't see her. This was stupid. Her parents, dressed in their best, walked ahead of her. She smiled to herself as she remembered how Asuka, her sister, had responded. The room would take weeks to repair she thought to her self.

Pushing Asuka out of her mind, she thought about what was to come. The servants had all talked to her about what to expect, and she had to admit she was a little nervous. It was going to be her sole job to have pups for Yukio, and they all warned her that if she had too many one after the other, it would destroy her body and break her down, making her old before her time, demon or not. A male servant had come in to verify that she was indeed in heat, and once he'd been shoved out of the door they'd dressed her.

"Yukio-sama will not have any problem mating with you Chiyo-san," her maid said, finishing her hair while another one adjusted the folds on her kimono.

"It will be a little painful, but be grateful you are not human."

"Why?"

"They have a barrier inside of them that has to be broken by the male before they can conceive."

"What?"

"I hear that when the male breaks it, they bleed."

"That's too upsetting for me to hear now," Chiyo said dismissively.

"Don't be so arrogant child. If you don't birth a pup, you'll be back with your parents."

Chiyo was now standing in front of the doors to Lord Yukio's private chamber. Her father, followed by her mother, stepped inside, closing the doors behind them. Whatever was said was brief, and they came out, holding the doors wide open so that she could enter.

Yukio saw at once that she was not her sister, and one sniff of her told him all he needed to know.

"Leave us," he said to her parents while he moved towards Chiyo, who found her self liking what she saw.

Maybe this would not be so bad after all.

When Chiyo left his room in the morning Yukio knew Chiyo had conceived. He sent for Shinji, and asked that a small suite of rooms, suitable for her station be cleaned and that she move in as quickly as possible. Shinji bowed and left at once, and Yukio, dressed casually, headed for Hotaru's suite. It was large and well appointed, and she had three female demons that did nothing but attend to her.

"Lord Yukio," one of them said, bowing to him.

"How is she today?" he asked, walking towards her room, his thick black hair falling almost to the floor.

"She did not sleep well my Lord."

"Why?"

"She was distressed."

He nodded, and stepped inside.

"Leave us," he said to the two women who were attending to Hotaru, and they quickly obeyed, leaving him alone with his mate.

"My Lord, you are up early," Hotaru said softly, her eyes downcast.

"How are you Hotaru?"

"I feel, sad, Yukio, that you had to take a concubine to ensure that you have heirs."

"I'm here with you aren't I? The sun is out. Let's sit in it for a while and just talk. How about that?"

"I would like that very much My Lord," Hotaru said with a small smile.

They spent most of the morning together, talking about everything and nothing, the upcoming war council, and the color of the sky. When she tired, he sat with her until she fell asleep, leaving as quietly as he could so as not to disturb her.

Shinji was waiting outside.

"Sire, there is a delegation of lesser demons to see you…"

"I will meet them in my quarters. Give me time to dress."

"Yes Sire."

The lesser demons had been frequent visitors to the lair when Yemon had been alive. After his death, their visits had been cut. They were more than pleased to have a personal audience with Yukio, the new Lord. There were ten of them, and he explained that five positions had opened up unexpectedly. Of course he knew they knew how the positions had opened up, and that they had reached a decision on who would fill the spots.

"When will the counsel meet Sire?" their leader, a rodent, asked.

"The new moon."

"We will be here."