InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Demon Nature ❯ Demon Nature Chapter 29 A Day in the Life ( Chapter 29 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Demon Nature Chapter 29 A Day in the Life…

I don't own the Inu Yasha characters!!! ^_^

Latest Chapters on www.nonperky.net/demon

"You've changed Inu Yasha."

Shippo and Inu Yasha were out walking in the forest that at the base of the mountain where Sesshoumaru hid his home. The snow had stopped, and the sun was out but all it did was add crystalline light to what was a frozen, frigid winter landscape. That they could walk easily testified to the fact that they were demons.

"Have I?" Inu Yasha asked, his nose scenting out the area they were in as they walked.

"Why are you here? You should've gone to Kagome's time, seen the doctor there…"

"And get shot again? No. Sesshoumaru offered protection, and I took it. He and his war make it so it's not safe for anyone. And I don't see you leaving."

Shippo ignored the statement for now, concentrating on his friend.

"Miroku and Sango are out there Inu Yasha. Don't you care?"

"Shippo, Miroku and Sango know how to get in touch when they have to. If they wanted me, they'd find me. I haven't exactly been hiding you know."

"No, you haven't," Shippo agreed. "You've been too busy following Sesshoumaru around."

Inu Yasha whirled on Shippo, but he was no longer the baby demon he'd been able to easily pummel, and while he glared he didn't square off on him.

"I just don't want you to become like him," Shippo said.

"Sesshoumaru and I are brothers, we have the same father. Why is it so hard for everyone to accept that I am not human, that I am part demon, and that I need to learn how to deal with that side of me, well, better."

"And Sess is the demon to teach you. I see logic has gone out of your mind too Inu Yasha."

There was not much else to say, and they walked in silence for awhile.

"When spring comes we'll be gone."

"I see," Inu Yasha said softly. "Right when things will be heating up. Sure."

Shippo looked away.

"The humans are invoking the help of the god's right about now, and the gods aren't interested yet. What we demons do is no threat to them they say."

"If you kill enough of their followers they will have to get involved…"

"And it'll be every demon for itself won't it Shippo? And I really want Kagome out in the country, pregnant with what everyone knows is my pup, and make her vulnerable to kidnap by demons, humans, and angry gods, all to pressure me to take their side because of the Tetsaiga. I really like those options Shippo."

The young demon looked at Inu Yasha, understanding that his friend had not taken leave of his senses that he was right to be doing what he was doing.

"I was wrong Inu Yasha. I'm sorry to have doubted you."

Inu Yasha growled and resumed walking. Shippo fell in alongside, looking at his friend's profile.

Inu Yasha had to be over one hundred human years, but he appeared to be about twenty five by the way the humans reckoned time. Sesshoumaru was about twelve years or so older, and he looked about thirty. Shippo, now thirty six, looked like he was in his late teens. Rin-sama and Kagome-sama were frozen in time at about twenty five or twenty six human years the way he saw it. Kagome was older than Rin by about ten years, so maybe she was thirty five or so. But she was more beautiful than she'd ever been in his eyes, and being with the love of her life kept her happy. Rin had become a beautiful woman, a mate Sesshoumaru doted on and protected if the gossip in the household was to be believed. He kept his life with Rin away from all but the most trusted of his household, and if visitors were coming he would spell her wing so that nothing could sense her presence, which was why it was hard to know where she was or if she was here sometimes. One servant told him that she was always here, but that Lord Sesshoumaru didn't trust anyone when it came to his human mate. He would take her out the servant said, especially in the spring and summer, and they would be gone for hours, sometimes days, leaving and entering by a private entrance Sesshoumaru had created just for that purpose.

"If it's secret how do you know about it?"

The young demon had shrugged.

"It's not hard to figure out. He's a demon's demon. He knows how he felt about humans until she wormed her way into his life, and he knows what could happen if she were too visible."

"Has anyone ever tried to harm her?"

"No."

"Where is the jewel?" Shippo asked.

"Safe."

"Here?"

"I said safe Shippo. I didn't say here."

"Do you wish Kaede was still alive?"

"Sometimes, yes, but she was training someone, I remember when Rin had Sakura she came with her and helped save her life. But no one knows where she is, and Kaede never really gave up her name."

"Sesshoumaru has a teacher staying here…"

"Yes. He's teaching him how to write."
"Sesshoumaru?"

"And Rin."

"Do you think he would teach me? And Riku?"

"Does Riku want to learn?"

"I don't know, but it would be good to know I think."

Kagome had made the same argument to Inu Yasha many times Inu Yasha thought to himself. It would be a while before the assault on the east would begin, and maybe it was time to learn how to write and read. His kids already knew things he didn't and he would be relegated to the sidelines when they would talk to their mother about books and school work. Shit, if Sess was doing it, he would too.

Takeshi set up his classroom for the day, making sure every ink pot was full, the brushes fresh and the parchment perfect. Lady Rin would be behind the screen, but Lord Sesshoumaru would be right in front of him. He would ask any questions Lady Rin had from the previous lesson, and some of his own. The demon was smart, and if he were human could've been an historian of sorts. He liked hearing about the times before he came into being, becoming like a child when they got to history, asking questions about this personage and that, his eyes bright. Lady Rin was also bright, and he wondered how they would be if he was not a demon and she, well, she wasn't a demon, but she may as well be one.

He had just finished setting up the room when Lord Inu Yasha walked in, the young kitsune in his wake.

"We're here for class," Inu Yasha announced, sitting down in Sesshoumaru's place.

"Lord Inu Yasha that is Lord Sesshoumaru's place. If you give me time, I will set up a place for you and…"

"Shippo. The name's Shippo."

"Shippo. Yes."

Inu Yasha stood up and waited while the teachers young aides brought in two more writing tables and cushions for them to sit on. The ink pots were just being brought in when Sesshoumaru showed up, dressed casually in a yukata and kimono, his feet clad in heavy socks, the first time Shippo had ever seen him dressed casually. Shippo watched as Sesshoumaru and his brother made eye contact, understanding passing between them.

Shippo sat down, and Takeshi waited for the two lords to finish their conversation and take their seats.

"My Lords, welcome. Shippo, welcome."

Inu Yasha felt Myouga begin to drink from him, and slapped the flea away.

"Lord Inu Yasha, I usually begin with this question. Do you know how to write your name?"

"If I could fuckin' write my name why would I be here?" he snapped.

Behind the screen where she sat with Rin, Kagome dropped her head and Rin stifled a laugh.

"Very well. Let's start you with basics Lord Inu Yasha. Lord Sesshoumaru, here is your writing assignment for today. My Lady, you have yours. I will be with you shortly."

Later Takeshi sipped sake, very good sake too, his mind on the days events. Inu Yasha was so very different from his brother. He was coarse, mean, and crude where Sesshoumaru was elegant, refined and meaner than Inu Yasha. And yet the brilliance of mind was there in both Demon Lords. Inu Yasha could write his name by the end of the class, something most took a day or two, or more to master. He had refused to learn any other characters though, just the ones that had to do with his name. Sesshoumaru liked learning for learning's sake. Inu Yasha wanted to know only what he felt he needed to know. Inu Yasha would be a challenge. Shippo wanted to learn the characters first, but he did not have the brilliance of mind the two Lords did.

He had just finished his second cup of sake when he realized someone was in the room with him.

"Who are you??"

Sesshoumaru stepped out of the shadows, his hands hidden in the sleeves of his robe.

"So this is what you do at night? Get drunk?"

"No Master, I…just tonight…"

Sesshoumaru smiled indulgently, and Takeshi wondered why he had even bothered to lie.

"It's lonely at night Master, and sometimes…"

"You want a female."

"Yes Master."

Sesshoumaru looked down at Takeshi, who wondered if his life was now over.

"There are human females here," the Demon Lord said plainly, his eyes boring into Takeshi.

"I know Sire, its just…"

Takeshi looked away.

"Tell me teacher," Sesshoumaru said softly but if he meant to soothe, he had the opposite effect on Takeshi.

"They all want to be with you, or some other demon here. I am nothing in their eyes but a servant like them," Takeshi stammered out, eyes riveted on the ground.

When he looked up again the Demon Lord was gone, with nothing left behind, no scent, nothing to show he had been here. His hands shaking, he poured himself another cup of sake, downing it in one gulp. An hour later he was snoring in a drunken stupor.

Hana had finished for the night, and she sat back, her buttocks resting on her shins, closing her eyes for a few minutes to let the tension flow out of her body. The bitter cold had made a lot of people ill, and she thanked the gods her fore sight had led her to gather more medicinal herbs than usual over the spring and summer, but even with the stock she'd laid in, she was getting low. This winter was harsher than usual, and it looked like spring would arrive late.

Opening her eyes, she put out the lamp in her front room and walked into her room, which was now as warm as it would get. There was no wind tonight but the cold sat like a heavy cloud on the land. She had steeped some tea for herself, and she poured some off, sipping it slowly. It would help keep her warm and ward off a cold from settling in her chest. Kaede had been very wise, having taught her so much in the time they'd had together.

But Kaede had been dead for a long time now, and Hana herself was not getting any younger. There were rumors of a girl with powers in the next village, and if she could get a horse tomorrow she'd go and see if the rumors were true. It would be good to have someone helping around the place, and learning, just the way Kaede had taught her.

A knock at the door brought her out of her reverie, and she wondered who could be ill this time of the night. She'd seen everyone in her village she thought as she wrapped a heavy garment around her and went to the door.

A small child was standing there in what appeared to be nothing but thin rags.

"Hana, you must come!! My mother…" the child sobbed.

"I don't know you child. Who are you…"

The child wailed louder, and pointed towards the road.

"She fell from our horse…"

"Calm down child. I will come."

The woman had been injured, but not by a fall from a horse…and there was a child, a girl of about twelve, lying next to the dead woman, unconscious. Her face…the child who had come to her door had the same face.

A chill went up her spine that had nothing to do with the cold, and she stood up, beginning a chant to hold off evil as she began to walk away from the dead woman, and the demonic child.

"You will not leave here," the child she knew was no child intoned.

"My Lord has need of you."

With that she saw a gas escape from the child's mouth, and she was falling before she knew what had happened.

Jaken stepped out of the bushes, and the shape shifter went back to its original form.

"Bring the child," Jaken commanded.

"I will see to it this one gets to Lord Sesshoumaru in one piece."

Ah Un descended and the unconscious miko was placed on its back. The child, she was really a young girl, Miya, also unconscious, was placed in front of her. To demon sight all that was seen were balls of light ascending.

Hana woke in a warm room, and sat up, stifling her scream. Next to her lay a girl she didn't know.

She stood up and walked around the space. It was somehow familiar…

She looked in a corner, gasped, and walked over. In the corner was Kaede's old herb bag, and now she felt fear hit her full force. She knew this place all right. It had been twenty cycles ago, she'd been barely twelve, when Kaede had brought her to this place where a human girl lay near death after birthing her demon lover's child.

"It can't be…"she said softly, her eyes frantic as memories of the demon lord flooded her mind. To someone who could see, he had literally glowed with power, his eyes sending the not so subtle message that if she and Kaede failed, they would join his dead mate in the afterworld. How had she forgotten so much…he must have spelled her to make her forget.

The girl stirred, she was about the same age she'd been when she'd been brought here.

"Where am I?" the girl asked, sitting up.

"How do you feel?" Hana asked, coming to kneel in front of her.

"Who are you? You're not from my village," the girl said, pulling back from Hana's touch.

"I was coming to see you tomorrow. You are Miya."

"You're scaring me lady. Who are you?"

"Hana."

Miya knew the name, respected it, and bowed.

"Why are we here?" Miya asked.

"We will know soon," Hana said.

"I suggest you rest. I don't think we'll ever see our homes again."

Miya burst into tears and Hana held her close. There would be an outcry, a search, but they would be assumed dead and life would go on. Miya was much loved by her family, and she knew a service for her soul would be held. Hana wondered if the body of the dead woman, Miya's mother, would ever be found. As for her…she pushed the thought away. Maybe in the spring the temple would do something to ease her way into the afterlife.

One of the things that had fascinated Sesshoumaru in Kagome's time was how the homes were heated, and once he'd come back here he'd found a hot spring and diverted it, using it's waters and steam not just for heat but for bathing, and washing the eating utensils. When the first one had worked so well, he'd had Jaken find a few more and divert them, so that now the entire palace was warm.

Hana and Miya thought the constant warmth was demon work, and they were deathly afraid of what else they'd find out went on here. Hana had told Miya where they were, and she was terrified of seeing the Great Demon in the flesh. But they had been fed, and had clothing put out for them by a young woman who appeared to be human. When she came with lunch, Miya got her courage up.

"Hi."

"Hello. I am Sada. I've been assigned to you."

"As our servant?"

"Yes, and to learn. Lord Sesshoumaru respects you a great deal Hana-san, and because he knows I have powers, he wants you to train me," the young girl said brightly.

"Are you human?"

"Of course. You are in the human wing as we call it. Sensei lives here…"

"Sensei?"

"Takeshi. He is our teacher."

"I see. Why are we here?"

"Probably because Kagome-sama is pregnant, and they need a miko."

"Why are you here?"

"My parents begged Lord Sesshoumaru for help, and when he gave it, he told them the price would be high. I was the payment."

"Aren't you afraid of him?"

"He's a demon, the Great Demon. Of course we are. But he doesn't bother much with us humans as long as we do our jobs and whatever he needs us for."

"Does he ever take a human woman for his pleasure?" Miya asked softly, her voice shaking.

"He has Rin. Why would he take us?" Sada said matter of factly. "He is a demon but he is more loyal than most human husbands."

Hana remembered the fear in the demon's eyes when he'd thought Rin was going to die.

"When will he come to see us?"

"When he's ready. When can I start training?"

"I don't have herbs…"

"Come and see," Sada said brightly, standing up and leading them to a small cave that was redolent with the scent of herbs.

"How…"

"I don't know. He is a demon, he can do lots of things. So, when do I start training?"

It was two days before Sesshoumaru showed up, and Hana was so engrossed in working with her charges, she didn't know he was there. Sada, who knew the ways of the place, and had heard the hush that had fallen over the wing, was the one to alert her to his presence.

"My Lord," Hana said, kneeling and bowing so that her head almost touched the floor. Miya was terrified, but followed suit, as did Sada, who was not rattled by the sight of the Master of this place. Sesshoumaru entered the space and looked around, taking in what Hana had written, and proud of himself that he could read it.

"Are you comfortable Hana?" he said, looking directly at her. She looked up briefly, and saw that the golden eyes were not hostile today, that he was simply asking her a question.

"Yes My Lord," she said softly.

"Is there anything you need?"

"No My Lord. We are well stocked, and well cared for here."

"Lady Kagome needs your attention. Someone will come and get you shortly."

As silently as he had come he left, and Hana looked at Sada.

"Kagome is here?"

"Yes Hana-san. She is pregnant."

"I see."

"The Lord knows you Hana-san. That is a good thing."

"I was a child when I was here before, and that was many years ago. He was different then."

"Was he your lover?" Sada asked, leaning forward.

"No, he was not my lover. He has had only one human lover."

"Oh. Just wanted some dirt. Is there something you want to assign to us so that when whoever comes we can work on our own?"

"You girls have been working so hard, I think you deserve an afternoon off."

"Good. Miya, you can come and see my room. It's small, but it's warm, and I can do needle work, and other things."

"Who taught you needle work here?" Miya said, the first words she'd uttered since Sesshoumaru's appearance.

"There are other humans here. If you would come out you'd get to meet them, but since you asked, cook taught me."

"Cook?"

"For Rin-sama silly. She needs to eat, and cook cooks for her. The rest of us make do with what we find."

"We eat well," Miya said.

"That's because our chef this week is Ryu. He can cook."

"So Rin has her own cook?"

"Of course silly."

"Girls, let's finish…"

"Hana."

The young girls voice startled them all, and they turned and looked at her. She was standing in the doorway glad in an every day kimono, her face serious.

"Okay. Miya, stay close to Sada. This place is very very large."

Hana had only expected one woman to be in the room, but she recognized the other one at once, and deepened her bow.

"Lady Rin."

"Hana-san. How have you been?" Rin said in her girlish voice.

"I have been well My Lady. I see you are healthy."

"Thanks to you Hana-san. I never got to say thank you for saving my life. You were Kaede's hands, and it's your touch I remember from that time. That is why I insisted My Lord find you."

If Rin had any idea of how deeply those words hurt Hana, it didn't show. Did Rin have any idea of how it felt to be taken from your home never to see it again in your life? Did she understand that no matter how comfortable she was made here, she would always be a prisoner, just like Sada, and the others? Did Rin even have human feelings anymore?

When someone spoke again, it was Kagome, the woman she was here to examine.

"I know it's hard for you Hana, but every effort will be made to make this as easy as possible for you."

Kagome met her eyes, and Hana realized she understood her feelings where Rin couldn't or wouldn't.

Hana met Kagome's eyes, and realized the difference between the two women. Kagome, like Rin, was human, but Kagome had lived among humans a large part of her life, while Rin had been rejected by them. Rin could never really sympathize with any human's plight because none had ever sympathized with hers. Kaede had told her that years ago, but only now did the old woman's words come back to her.

"How are you feeling Kagome-sama?" Hana asked, breaking the tension between the women. Rin watched closely as Hana went through her examination of Kagome, her eyes bright.

"Your baby is large Kagome-sama. The birth may be difficult."

Rin's eyes widened, but she kept quiet. Sakura had been large, and in a bad position. That had been what had almost killed her.

"If the child comes early…" Hana remembered that when humans had babies for demons the gestation times were off. Early for a human could be on time for the demon.

"Right now the baby is in a good position, so that is half the battle," Hana said, also remembering Sakura's birth and how Sesshoumaru had almost killed the infant when she'd finally made her appearance. Rin had used all her remaining strength to shield her child from the angered and scared demon who was trying to kill it. Even in human form Sesshoumaru was tremendously strong, and how Rin had stood up to him she didn't know. But she had, fainting when her Lord backed down, and causing him to roar at Kaede to save her. Kaede was terrified of Sesshoumaru, but she had told Hana what to do, and while the next few days had been harrowing, the third day Rin had opened her eyes and asked for her mate, not her child, first. Sesshoumaru had cleared the room, and Hana would never know what was said. But he left, and the child had been brought in.

"Hana? Are you all right?" Kagome asked, concern in her expression and in her voice.

Hana came back to the present, focusing her eyes on Kagome. Rin was wearing a pensive expression, her eyes fixed on Hana.

"Yes Kagome-sama, I am fine. I need to see you every day. Is this a good time?"

"Usually."

"Good."

"I'll see you tomorrow," Kagome said, dismissing her.

Hana followed the child out, and Kagome looked at Rin.

"What happened there? She was really gone," she asked Rin, who was staring at the floor.

"Sakura's birth was very difficult. She was large, and was turned the wrong way. I almost died birthing her. Those are painful memories for all of us."

"Oh," Kagome said, touching her swollen abdomen.

"Kagome, Hana is good, but I don't want what happened to me to happen to you. Maybe we can bring someone, a doctor, from your time, here…"

"They wouldn't have the equipment here that they would need. It would be better if I went there."

"It's dangerous now Kagome."

"I don't want to lose my baby, and I don't want to die…"

"…and you don't want to end up like me," Rin said softly.

"I didn't say that Rin."

"You don't have to. You must have Lord Inu Yasha convince Sesshoumaru to take us Kagome. Even if it's just for one day, you need to know if you are going to have to birth your child there, or if it's safe to do so here, in this time."

Rin was not an easy woman to understand, or get along with, but when she was right, she was right.

"Rin?"

"Yes?"

"You didn't call him Sesshoumaru-sama."

Rin blushed deeply, and Kagome smiled.

"It's not a sin you know."

"I must show respect to My Master when speaking of him to others…"

"We are still trying to be sisters right? So it's okay with me."

Rin smiled, but her eyes were troubled.

"What is it Rin?"

"Nothing Kagome. Nothing at all."

Keiko was helping Mrs. Higurashi set up for the mid day meal when she heard the noise.

"What…"

"Stay here child. Sota will see what is going on."

Keiko had been on edge all day, but now she was calm, continuing on with her work. She had seen the worried glance sent her way by Mrs. Higurashi, and she knew only one thing would make the otherwise normal woman react that way. The demons were here. The door opened and she heard Sota take off his shoes all the while talking to someone as if they were a long lost brother. The first one through was Kagome, with the Demon Lord Inu Yasha at her side.

"Kagome!!! No wonder you…oh my goodness!! Look at you. It's been so many years…"

Mrs. Higurashi embraced her daughter, but Keiko was looking at the couple that came in after them, both of whom were looking right at her. Lord Sesshoumaru in modern dress was buff, as was his brother. Rin was sexy with her side pony tail and long ebony black hair down her back. Her large eyes didn't leave Sesshoumaru except to look daggers at Keiko. No one noticed the other woman in the party, a woman dressed in clothing only seen in history books.

"Who is she Inu Yasha?" Sota asked, still afraid to speak to Sesshoumaru without being addressed.

"She's a healer from my time. We're here to see Doctor Morimoto."

"Oh," Mrs. Higurashi said, sitting down hard.

"Kagome…"

"The healer says the baby is large. I just want to make sure everything is all right."

"When is your appointment?"

"We kinda don't have one, but I'm sure she'll see us."

"No shit," Keiko thought to herself. "The Great Demon shows up in your office and you're gonna make him and his entourage wait? Sure, if you're suicidal."

"I want to come with you."

"We have to put clothes on Hana."
"Hana?"

"The healer mother."

Rin and Sesshoumaru had gravitated towards the food, and Rin helped herself while Sesshoumaru watched, curious about what people ate nowadays. Kagome wanted food too, and went to get it while Sota and Inu Yasha talked baseball, a sport Inu Yasha was becoming interested in. Mrs. Higurashi gently led the terrified Hana to the spare room, emerging with her a few minutes later in the world wide uniform of jeans, a tee, and a jacket. She'd also applied deodorant and put some perfumed splash on her.

"We can take the car…"

"We don't have that kind of time Sota," Sesshoumaru said sharply, the first words he'd spoken.

"My mother has to take the car," Sota said keeping his voice level while meeting the Great Demon's eyes.

"You can go ahead if you want to."

Sesshoumaru's eyes flashed red, but he didn't say anything. He respected this place, he respected that Kagome's family had been good to Inu Yasha, and to him, protecting him from enemies he barely knew in this time. Everyone was holding their breath, and Inu Yasha said that since Kagome was pregnant, he wanted her to ride in the car. Hana was still in shock, so he suggested she ride in the car. He and Sesshoumaru would meet them at the office. That defused the situation, and Keiko realized that she was being asked to stay behind.

"I'll stay here with Keiko," Sota said. "No need for all of us to go."

He took her hand and she relaxed, her fear that Sesshoumaru would level the house and them with it gone. Hana was staring at herself in a mirror, touching it as if it would hurt her in some way.

"Come Hana," Rin said with a smile.

"You're gonna love riding in a car."

"Car? What's a car?"

Even Sesshoumaru managed a grin and was thankful his hearing wouldn't be damaged by the screaming human even as he remembered how he'd had to hold Rin down her first car ride. They left, and Sota bowed to Sesshoumaru.

"My Lord, I am sorry I spoke out of turn…"

"You were concerned for your mother."

He looked at Keiko, and she stepped back without even realizing she had, and was relieved when he turned away.

"See you," he said, turning to leave with Inu Yasha.

"Where are they, how are they…"

"Don't worry about them Keiko. They'll be fine."

Inu Yasha had shrugged on a long leather coat that he now slipped a beaten up old sword into.

"Got any ramen Sota?" Inu Yasha asked with a grin that revealed more of his fangs than Keiko wanted to see.

"Always man."

"Good."

With that he and Sesshoumaru, who was wearing a leather bomber jacket, pulled on South American wool caps which covered their ears and left. Keiko ran to the window and saw nothing.

"How…"

"I told you you don't want to know."

Isamu did a double take at the two beings who entered the office, well, more like appeared in the office. Several demons were there, and they all did a double take before falling on their knees and bowing to the ground. The humans who were there, mostly the women, and one human man, knew these two were not just regular Joe's but had no idea who they were.

"Excuse me…"

"Look, my wife is gonna be here in a few minutes, and she needs to see Doctor Morimoto."

"You can't just barge in here and demand…"

"Uh, I'll come back tomorrow," one patient after another said until the office was empty. Sesshoumaru had already sat down in an empty chair, and now Inu Yasha followed suit. Only one human male remained, and he apologetically said his wife was in with the doctor. Both demons regarded him in silence.

Hana was not sure she could even walk anymore, but when she saw Rin, Kagome, and Kagome's mother get out of the car as they called it, she got out too, hanging onto Mrs. Higurashi as if she were a lifesaver.

"Did I scream like that?" Rin was asking Kagome as they headed for the building, her tiny frame clad in skin tight jeans and a short fitted leather jacket. She had on black leather stiletto boots which boosted her height to maybe five feet.

"Kinda."

"How embarrassing," she grinned, walking ahead of Kagome and through the door that turned on itself. Hana crowded into the same panel with Mrs. Higurashi, who smiled indulgently. Thinking all the scary stuff was over, Hana began to relax until they got into a box with numbers on it and the doors closed, and they began to move.

"Scream and I'll hurt you," Rin said narrowing her eyes. Hana whimpered until the doors opened and they entered the medical suite where Inu Yasha and Sesshoumaru were now standing at the window looking down at the street. Sesshoumaru turned and followed Rin's every step with his eyes as she walked towards him.

"Do I please you Master?" she asked, stepping in close to him.

"Very much," he said softly, his will the only thing stopping him from dragging her into one of the empty rooms.

"Mrs. Higurashi. It's been a long time," Isamu said with a smile.

"These are my friends. Hana is studying obstetrics, and I told her she could come and see my exam."

"If the doctor agrees…"

Aiko was already staring at the beings in her office in disbelief. She knew who they were at once, her eyes focused on the father of her lover, the Great Lord himself, Sesshoumaru, looking like a modern day man in tight jeans, shit, was that all him?, wool turtleneck sweater and leather bomber, a black and gray Andean knit hat on his head. But nothing could hide the marks on his face and wrists, the identical ones that Yukio had.

She bowed to him, and to Inu Yasha, who also filled out his jeans very nicely.

"My Lords, welcome. Lady Rin, and Lady Kagome, welcome."

"This is Hana, a medical student friend."

From the look of wonder on her face Aiko figured she was someone who was new to this time.

"Kagome needs to be examined," Inu Yasha said breaking the reverent mood that had taken over the room.

"Of course. Come this way."

Rin followed them in, curious to see what would happen. Sesshoumaru was not that interested and sat down facing the door. After a few minutes Inu Yasha came out and sat down next to him, slipping his hand inside his coat so that it rested on the hilt of the Tetsaiga.

"How close are they?" he asked Sesshoumaru, his eyes like his brothers riveted on the door

"Just outside the door," Sesshoumaru said softly.

Inu Yasha turned to the receptionist.

"Don't you have somewhere to be?" he snapped at her.

Isamu didn't have to be told twice, and left.

"Hana put a spirit shield over the exam room. They'll be safe," Inu Yasha said.

Sesshoumaru's claws glowed and the demon brothers waited for the group that was getting ready to open the door.

Hana forgot about whatever was going on in the other room as she watched this healer, they called her a doctor, Morimoto Aiko was her name, prepare to examine Kagome-sama. Kagome was lying down on her back, her feet in some shiny things that forced her legs open. Morimoto Aiko put a band on her head, with a light, and sat down on a low chair, parted Kagome's lower lips, and looked inside.

"How…why are you doing that? What is the light for?"

The question, and the sentence structure, confirmed Aiko's suspicions. These people had time traveled to the present, they still lived in the past. At least Hana and Rin did. Kagome was fine, she'd delivered her other two children by Inu Yasha. Both Hana and Rin were dumbstruck, and were standing behind Ai, watching intently.

"You can see if the cervix, the entrance to the uterus, her womb, is closed."

"Oh. It is. The baby is just big," Hana said, wondering why she needed to stick a light inside Kagome to know that.

"If it was open, she would be bleeding or leaking fluid."

"True, but its part of a standard examination in these times to look, to make sure everything is all right. We'll look at the baby in a minute."

"What are those things on your hands for?" Rin asked.

"Gloves."

Both women repeated the word while they waited for an explanation.

"This way germs don't get inside and cause an infection. Okay Kagome. We'll do the sonogram. I'll make it so your associate, and your healer, can hear the heart beat and see the baby. Your healer is concerned about the size of the baby I take it?"

"Yes Doctor," Kagome said, a little embarrassed by the other two women seeing her in the stirrups like this.

Hana was following Ai around, watching as she set up, not wanting the things called gloves on her hands so she didn't touch anything after Ai yelled at her for touching her instruments. She would have to explain about germs and how they got inside of a person.

"What is this?"

"It will let me see the baby."

"How can you see the baby?"

"It bounces sound waves into Kagome, and we get an image of the baby, where it is, how big it is, all of that."

Ai looked over at Rin, who had paled at her words.

"Are you all right?"

"I, you say you can see how big the baby is, and everything?"

"Yes. Come and watch. It's like television."

"Oh. People in the box."

Ai stifled a smile. This was Eternal Rin in her office, and the Great Demon himself was outside. If she insulted Rin, she'd be deader than a door knob.

Ai put the gel on Kagome's stomach and moved the instrument around to spread it out before bringing it to rest. When she looked up at the screen she frowned.

Hana had been correct, this was a big baby, and from the looks of it, would be more demon than human, not like her other two children.

"The baby has his father's ears," Ai said softly, "and a mane of hair already."

Hana was dumbstruck, as was Rin. The sound of the baby's heartbeat filled the room, and Hana looked at Ai, amazed.

"What…"

"The baby's heart beat. His heart rate is fine."

"It's a boy?" Rin said, afraid of being laughed at.

"Yes, it's a boy, very much a boy," Ai said.

"Oh," Rin said, blushing deeply. If what Aiko had seen of Sesshoumaru and Inu Yasha in jeans was true, this kid would keep it all in the family.

"Kagome, you need to have this child here. I think he will be born soon. See how low he is in the birth canal already? And you need to have a C section."

"What is that?" Hana asked.

"The C section?"

"Yes."

"It's where we make an incision in the abdomen and take the baby instead of risking the baby and the mother's life by trying to go through natural childbirth. Kagome has had two normal deliveries, but this baby, I think as soon as we see his lungs are developed, should be delivered to avoid harm to Kagome or her child."

Hana and Rin exchanged glances, and Aiko knew there was a story there.

"Do you have children?" she asked Rin, having to act as if she didn't know. They didn't know about Yukio and her, yet.

"Two," Rin said, her voice trembling. Kagome tore her eyes from the images of her son to listen.

"The last one almost killed her," Hana continued, seeing Rin was not going to tell her.

"The baby was very large, and she was torn badly."

"Is she healed?"

"She is fine now, but it took a lot of work."

"Do you still have the same…"

Ai cut herself off. If she even tried to explain what she needed to know they wouldn't tell her. Women from that time didn't talk about things like that.

"You're a young woman," Ai continued, again hoping she didn't slip up.

"But how old were you when you had the difficult birth?"

"I…" Rin had to think. She had been seventeen when she had mated with her Master for the first time. Taisho had been born when she was eighteen cycles. Sakura had been born maybe a moon cycle later.

"Nineteen cycles," she said, hoping they still used that terminology in this time.

"Ah, so you were nineteen years old. How old were you when you, uh, married?"

"Seventeen cycles," Rin said, a little more secure of herself with those facts.

"And you haven't had another child since?"

"My ma…"

She looked at Kagome, and blushed.

"My mate and I are content with our children."

"Still, I should check you…"

"Not today. We have to leave," Rin said curtly, her instincts telling her something was wrong outside.

"Kagome, you have to come back. Let me take your blood, and some fluid. Is there someone here…"

"My brother Sota can get a message to me."

"I mean it. This will not be an easy birth."

Hana stared as first blood, then amniotic fluid, was taken from Kagome.

"What will you do with her blood?" Hana asked, suspicious.

"We test it, and make sure nothing is wrong with it."

"And then what?"

"It's disposed of."

"How? It should be buried…"

"It will not be used for a charm Hana."

Ai could see Rin and Hana didn't believe her. While Kagome got dressed Rin walked over to Ai, touching her on the arm.

"I would like to be checked as you say."

"Now?"

"Can you see inside of me too?"

"Yes, but it's done a different way."

"Oh. Will you use the light too?"

"No, my hand…"

"Your what???!!!" Rin shouted in disbelief, stepping back from Ai.

"My hand, with a glove, and some instruments."

"Instruments?"

"These."

While Ai showed Hana and Rin the tools of her trade, Kagome lay still, thinking about what she'd seen. This child was going to be the image of Inu Yasha, he already was, and she knew that no matter how she and Inu Yasha felt, it would be best to continue to live in the Palace. They had their own suite, their own servants, and Sess didn't interfere with their lives. She remembered how Inu Yasha had told her he got blamed for everything, from crop failures to women miscarrying, and she didn't want that for her son.

She tuned back in to the conversation as Doctor Morimoto was explaining to Hana what to look for, and Hana understood. She was fast. She would probably want to come back for the birth, especially since she would help her with the child. And Rin, tiny Rin, was also listening. Was she considering having more children?

"It is so quiet out there…" Kagome said, wondering why Inu Yasha hadn't come in to see about her yet.

"Oh, I put a spirit shield around this room. There were some demon hunters on their way up."

"What???"

"Kagome, stay still," Doctor Morimoto commanded, looking at Hana more closely. She was an old miko, one who had power and used it.

"I think the Two Lords have things under control," Hana said with a smile.