InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Demon Nature ❯ Demon Nature Chapter 30 Got You All In Check! ( Chapter 30 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Demon Nature Chapter 30 Woo-Ha! Got You All in Check

I don't own the Inu Yasha characters!!

^_^

Latest Chapters on www.nonperky.net/demon

The chipmunk had been bored out of its mind. Leiko, and Gen, had told him to hang around the Higurashi shrine to see if the Great Demon and his brother showed up, and he knew what would happen to him if he didn't do as they said, but if he saw one more tourist he was going to pretend he had rabies and start chewing on their toes.

So when the door that led to the well had opened, and he saw Inu Yasha, followed by the Great Demon, he had waited until they disappeared inside the house before taking off for his Mistress. As luck would have it, he couldn't find either one of the women, and he pouted, sitting on the floor. Machiko was there however, and she asked him what he wanted with Gen.

"The Great Demon himself is here, and no one is here for me to tell."

"He is?" Machiko said, smiling.

"Where is he?"

"He and Inu Yasha took off somewhere. It seems Inu Yasha's mate is pregnant…"

"Good work little demon. I'll tell them. Now get out of here."

Once outside, the chipmunk took to the sky. He had one other place to go, one other person to report to. And Doctor Hanaka would not treat him like a pest.

The kitsune could only hold human shape for a short period of time, but it was long enough for Dr Hanaka to make the phone call that he needed to make. Now to hold them here until the priest arrived…

Raiden looked over at Leiko, who was lying on her side in the bed, eyes fixed on him.

"Who was that?" she asked, keeping her sibilant hiss to a minimum. It helped with the illusion of normalcy she wanted Raiden to have.

"Dr Hanaka from the hospital. It seems that not one, but both demon brothers are here with their human

wives."

Leiko moved so quickly it scared him when he realized she was right by his side, eyes boring into him, her now very obvious claws clasped around his neck.

"Where are they?"

"At the hospital…"

Leiko began to look around for her clothing.

"We have to go there Raiden…"

"You have to stay here," he said sharply, bringing her up short. He turned away from her so he didn't see the yellow green eyes take on hints of red.

"The hell I will. If he dies here, it will alter the past, and I don't lose my domain…"

"Leiko, listen to me. You go barging in there our relationship will be exposed…"

"And?" she asked, pulling on her clothes and slipping on sunglasses to cover her eyes.

"My associates will kill me…"

Too late he realized that the demoness had no more use for him, that he had brought her to the one being she hated in all of creation. With a flash of her aura, she began to head for the door.

"Raiden, it's been real, but you knew it would come to this…"

She barely heard the chant, as she headed for the door, but suddenly she was unable to move.

"I did Leiko, and I knew what I would do."

"Let me go!!"

"There are others who will take care of Sesshoumaru and Inu Yasha. You will stay here, with me."

She growled, her façade of humanity gone as she bared her long canines and began to gather power around her. For his part Raiden didn't move, continuing his incantation, and Leiko found herself shifted back into human form.

"You Bastard!!!!!!!!!!! Let me go."

"No Leiko. You will stay…"

The burst of power pushed him back, and the woman he had known was gone, replaced by a demon, still in human form, but with multiple auras surrounding her body, her eyes crimson as she spoke into his brain.

"Ssstupid human. You think to control me?"

She held up her hand, and Raiden felt her claws contract around his heart.

"Leiko…" he gasped, realizing she literally had her hand in his chest, her claws buried in his heart.

"Please."

She cocked her head to one side her mouth set in a feral rictus. With a final twist of her hand she ended his life, taking a minute to look at the lifeless form in front of her.

"Puny human," she thought to herself as she stepped over Raiden's body and, stepping into the yard, took to the sky.

Machiko pulled up to the hospital, her features grim. After all this time, she would finally face her enemy, the demon responsible for her death all those centuries ago. As she prepared to enter she saw a ball of light, and gaped as it descended to earth and changed to a woman, a woman she knew was a demon. Tiger stripes could be seen on her arms and neck since she was not wearing a coat. The heat she radiated could be felt even at the distance she was away from her. Machiko started to follow her, but the demoness turned around and with a burst of power slammed her into the ground, rendering her unconscious. Leiko could smell Sesshoumaru, knew that he was here, and that Inu Yasha was as well. If he had that sword…but it didn't matter. She would have her revenge, or die trying.

Fujita stepped out of the sedan, his eyes locked on the beam of light that was ascending the side of the building. More than the two demons were here he thought to himself. Why had the Great Demon come here at this time? He had not been seen for centuries, and now he had been seen twice. Why? He reached back into the car and took out what looked like a golf bag except that what was being covered by the soft suede pouches were spear and arrow heads, the very weapons that had almost succeeded in killing the Great Demon centuries ago. The spells had been strengthened and updated by each succeeding group since the first attack, spell layered on spell, and were if anything more powerful than the long ago magic that was considered by some purists the best. He had taken a few steps, the ball of light had stopped and was hovering just outside a window when a burst of intense light flared, breaking the glass of the windows where the ball of light hovered, probably where the medical office was located and a rope of pure energy wrapped itself around the ball of light which changed into the form of a woman, her golden hair tumbling down her back, her body covered with the stripes of the tiger she was. Leiko, the Arrogant One, he thought to himself. Flying out of the window and manipulating the lasso was the Great Demon himself, and Fujita stopped, staring at the spectacle in absolute shock. He was so intent on watching what was going on that he didn't see the three women, one pregnant, one small, and one very afraid come out of the building and get into a car that took off at high speed. Most of the people who were watching saw only lights, they couldn't see the two demons transform from human to animal shape, and those who did thought they were going insane, running screaming from the scene. How many people with sight wasted their talents in these times Fujita thought in passing as the spectacle continued.

Leiko had not finished her transformation when she felt Sesshoumaru sink his fangs into the base of her neck, seeking to sever her spine. With a roar she soared up, finishing her transformation and screaming in pain, Sesshoumaru hanging on, his claws buried in her shoulders, his fangs sinking deeper into the base of her neck. She released her miasma, and he let go briefly, soaring out of range and watching as she regrouped, her yellow eyes burning fire.

"You will die Sesshoumaru," she said into his brain, charging as she spoke. He jumped out of her way and came around behind her, sinking his poison fangs into her flank. The blood spurted out like a geyser and covered him. It was burning him, but he shook the pain off, seeing her weaken. One more attack and she would be…

He screamed as he scented a human, a priest, and he whirled, seeing the human poised to send an arrow his way. He could see the spells swirling around the shaft of the weapon, and recognized it for what it was.

"Inu Yasha!!! Retreat!!!" he screamed into his brother's brain, and Inu Yasha started to say no when he saw the priest, and the spelled arrow. Inu Yasha had transformed at once, and the two dogs, now approaching the size of their father, hung side by side in the air. Leiko, bleeding heavily, the poison working its way through her system, saw the spell also, and gave the demon tiger equivalent of a smile before using her last strength and taking off. Sesshoumaru looked at his brother, and for once he didn't have to drag him away.

Taking off at the speed of light, they disappeared into the sunlight, the only sign of what had happened was the burned grass where Leiko's blood had fallen to earth. Fujita heard footsteps and quickly covered his weapons, turning to face the first emergency workers who arrived.

"Sir!! Are you alright?"

"Yes…"

"The explosion was caused by gas. We want to make sure everyone is fine," the emergency worker said trying to be reassuring.

"I haven't seen Doctor Morimoto…"

"I'm here," Ai said, stepping out of her exam room and looking around at the shambles her suite had been reduced to.

"All of the gas has been turned off Doc, and we will make sure your suite is rebuilt," the chief administrator said, joining her as she wandered, too shocked to cry. When she could no longer walk in circles, she stopped, looking at the people in the room. She didn't know the man with the golf bag at all, and she wondered who he was. When she realized he was a priest she bowed deeply.

"Do you know him Doctor?"

"He was at the right place at the right time. Otherwise…who knows what would have happened."

Fujita saw the glow of the demon marks on her back, and he knew he had to get her alone, to question her about who she belonged to. He was going to suggest they talk when Doctor Hanaka came in. Seeing his spiritual leader, Doctor Hanaka bowed deeply.

"Master Fujita."

"Doctor. I am just making the acquaintance of Doctor Morimoto. She is a very interesting young woman."

"That she is," Doctor Hanaka said warily, wondering what was going on between them.

"Master, we need to talk, now," he said, pointedly indicating that Ai should not be around.

Fujita tore himself away from studying Ai, and looked at his disciple.

"Of course. Doctor Morimoto, we will meet again."

She bowed, and once the two men were gone she let her breath out. Everyone had gotten out, but something had happened that had caused a crowd to gather below.

Isamu stepped gingerly into the office, and Ai noticed a glow in the young woman's eyes she hadn't seen before. She had always assumed Isamu was human, but no one's eyes had that glow except…

When she looked up she saw Isamu looking at her.

"Are you all right Doctor?"

"Who are you? What are you?" Ai asked, her hand going to her throat.

"What do you mean? Were you injured during the fight?"

"What fight Isamu?" Ai asked, and Isamu realized she'd made a mistake. Ai may be the mate of the Demon of the South, but she was human, and didn't have the powers of a miko the way Inu Yasha's mate did. All she had seen was a light show.

"You're a demon aren't you?" Ai said, her voice trembling as the implications of that fact filled her brain. She knew about Yukio, and now about Kagome, and Rin.

Isamu knew that she had no choice but to admit it and in a way she was glad the farce was over.

"Yes."

"Why…"
"I've been living with humans all my life, the way my mother wanted me to."

"Your mother?"

"Leiko, the Demoness of the North," Isamu said, tossing her red gold hair.

Ai stepped back, not understanding why she did so.

"Sesshoumaru may have wounded her, but she will prevail. I will openly help her regain what is hers now."

"What do you mean?"

"Talk to your dog," Isamu sneered, baring her canines before turning and leaving Ai standing in the middle of the debris, suddenly very afraid.

Sesshoumaru and Inu Yasha came to earth a little way from the Higurashi shrine, and Sesshoumaru watched as Inu Yasha stashed the now dormant sword.

"You should've let me kill her Sess," Inu Yasha growled, meeting his brothers' eyes.

"We can't do anything here Inu Yasha."

"WHY???????????!!!!!!!!!" Inu Yasha said, stepping close to his brother.

"Because if we change the future we change the past. They have the advantage over us because they have lived through the centuries. We don't know what has happened, they do."

"The fact that they're trying to kill us tells me we succeeded in taking over."

Sesshoumaru let his brother's use of the word we go unremarked, for now.

"I agree brother," Sesshoumaru said, looking down at his blood stained clothes and closing his jacket. "And it seems Yukio has a mate in this time. The good doctor smells like him."

Inu Yasha nodded in agreement as they began to walk towards the shrine.

"I noticed that," he said, "But we haven't seen him yet."

"No," Sesshoumaru agreed. "Maybe he can brief us on what the hell is going on."

"Easy. They want us dead in this time to alter the past," Inu Yasha said matter of factly as he walked.

Sesshoumaru smiled slightly at his brother's casual, yet accurate, analysis as he gently sniffed the air checking after Rin. He caught her scent at once, and felt himself relax inside. He hadn't been aware that he was that tense until now. He also scented Kagome, who was fine, as was her pup.

"Our mates are alive and well, as is your pup."

"I know," Inu Yasha said, ignoring the stares of a couple of school kids as he and Sesshoumaru passed. Some of the older people shivered as they passed, and a few infants bawled, but otherwise there was no reaction to them. Strangely there were no dogs in the area.

"If Doctor Morimoto is Yukio's mate, then she is in danger. Her receptionist is Leiko's spawn."

"Oh," Inu Yasha said.

"I knew she was a demon, a very human looking demon, but still a demon."

"I know. And now she will side with her mother," Sesshoumaru said, his voice still perfectly modulated.

"And she knows all about Kagome," Inu Yasha said, anger seeping into his voice.

"I can't risk her coming back here."

Sesshoumaru didn't mention that she also knew about Rin, keeping his fear and worry to himself.

They entered the shrine grounds, and both used demon sight to see if any enemies were lurking. They both spied the chipmunk kitsune at the same time, and with an idle flick of his hand Sesshoumaru incinerated it, leaving a small pile of ash that didn't even include bones on the ground as they entered the house.

If most humans had not seen anything more than what they were told was a gas explosion and pyrotechnics caused by the medical supplies and chemicals kept in the office, every demon who was in the vicinity had been drawn to the battle, standing slack jawed as Leiko and Sesshoumaru fought, with Leiko beating a retreat before Sesshoumaru could finish her off, blood gushing from her wounds. The viciousness of the fight, the amount of blood, was being talked about in demon haunts that night and the speculation was that Sesshoumaru's return to the forefront of things in this time meant that all backsliding would end, that the discipline Sesshoumaru demanded would be enforced as it had been in the past. Demons like Leiko had carved out a niche, a nice life for themselves, and the thought of the Great Demon taking active part in modern affairs would cramp their style.

As with humans, there were dives and there were clubs, and the place Hotaru was sitting in was a club, where Dom Perignon, Cristal, Armagnac, and other expensive and rare liquors, including the best sake for traditionalists, were served.

Hotaru sat in her customary booth, her long hair framing her face from a center part. Her face was lightly made up, her lips bathed in a high sheen gloss and her eyes were outlined in soft gray shadow. Her Roberto Cavalli slacks and top accented her breasts and legs, while at the same time making her look ethereal. She was sipping a cosmopolitan, her favorite drink, as the talk raged on around her. No one bothered her, this was her favorite club, she was a regular, and Yukio was coming to meet her for a drink. She looked at her watch, a Rolex oyster, and frowned, he should be here already she thought to herself.

As if on cue, she felt someone slide in next to her and kiss her cheek.

"Hello my dear," he said in her ear, and she smiled. He had come in the back way to avoid the larger than usual crowd in the place tonight.

"Yukio," Hotaru said, leaning in close to him as he put his arm around her shoulders taking in the scent of her expensive made in France perfume.

"I take it the news is out," he said, sitting back and looking up at the waiter as he put his half cuvee of champagne down and poured a flute for him.

"Oh yeah. It's all everyone is talking about," Hotaru said softly, her lips brushing his ear.

"How does it feel to know your sire is out and about again?"

"I don't know Hotaru. I can't even remember the last time I saw him, or he tried to see me."

"He has things he does behind the scenes, you know that."

"For how long Hotaru?" Yukio said bitterly.

Hotaru gently turned his face to hers.

"We should leave here, I have a feeling they'll be mobbing you soon."

"I know. Let them."

"You don't know who is enemy and who is friend Yukio. Leiko was badly hurt, but her cubs are still around and they're the most dangerous type of demon…"

He understood her point, and they left, going out the back and getting into his Benz, he behind the wheel.

"Where are we going?" Hotaru asked, smoothing her hair back behind her ears.

"To see my sire."

Hotaru looked at him, surprised, and sat back. In all the centuries, he had never taken her to meet his father.

Sesshoumaru changed clothes, slipping on a Raiders tee shirt, he liked the picture, and baggy jeans. Mrs. Higurashi took the blood spattered clothing and started to put them in the fireplace to burn.

"No," Sesshoumaru said, grabbing her arm. She was surprised at the strength in his grip, and looked at him.

"The blood is poison. Bury it somewhere in the woods tomorrow."

"Thank you Lord Sesshoumaru," she managed to stammer out, lowering her eyes. It was the first time the Demon Lord had addressed her directly.

Keiko didn't know where to look as Sota took the clothing and put it in a garbage bag which he doubled before sealing it and taking it outside to bury in the morning.

Inu Yasha and Kagome were sitting together in a corner, their legs entwined, Inu Yasha's hand on her stomach while her head rested on his shoulder.

"We have to leave before this place is threatened," Rin said softly, her voice a little less girly now as she looked up at Sesshoumaru as he came and stood over her, his clawed hand gently cupping her face.

"Soon. There are too many eyes right now."

"Someone is coming," Hana said, causing everyone to look up at her.

"Someone you all know…"

The sound of an expensive car engine penetrated the stillness, and Inu Yasha got up, picking up the Tetsaiga while Sesshoumaru stood at his side, facing the door. They got the scent at the same time and looked at each other in shock, the red leaving Sesshoumaru's eyes, and Inu Yasha holding the sword behind his back, out of sight and dormant for now. Keiko was surprised to see Sota pull his mother to stand behind him with Keiko, taking out a gun which while it wouldn't kill a demon would slow it down.

The door opened, and two pairs of gold eyes met a pair of bronze ones.

"My Lord," Yukio said, going to his knees and bowing deeply. The woman with him did likewise, awed to be in the presence of the demon who was a legend even to her. Inu Yasha kept his features still, knowing that this had to happen this way although he found the whole thing stupid.

"So. After all this time we meet again," Sesshoumaru said, his voice neutral. If he felt any emotion at seeing his son it was not reflected in his voice.

"Yes Father. It is good to see you. It's been some time."

Sesshoumaru didn't miss the hard edge in his son's voice, and tried to remember how long it had been since he'd seen his pup, now almost grown. There was no sense in pretending remorse, and he nodded, accepting the rebuke before turning his eyes to the woman standing next to Yukio, who did not bear his mark.

"My Lord, this is Lady Hotaru, my mate."

"Lady," Sesshoumaru said with an almost imperceptible nod.

"My Lord," Hotaru said, again bowing to the Great Demon.

"I have wanted to meet you for quite some time."

Sesshoumaru's eyes looked into hers, and when Hotaru tried to drop hers felt her chin being lifted by a clawed finger.

"You hate me Lady Hotaru. Why?"

"The witch Nishi took my ability as a woman away from me…at your request," she said, her voice harder than she knew was proper, but she kept her eyes locked on his.

"I could care less about your ability to have pups Lady Hotaru. Look for a woman, not me, as your enemy," Sesshoumaru said harshly, removing his finger from under her chin and looking over at Yukio.

"I have told her that many times My Lord," Yukio said apologetically.

"No matter. She had been at your side a long time, a testament to the strength of your word. How human."

While the tableau was being enacted in front of her Keiko was studying Rin, who was watching no one but Sesshoumaru, her large eyes wary, which surprised Keiko. Who was stronger than the demon Sesshoumaru? Why was Rin wary of everyone? Did she see him as threatened when he could kill all of them with less thought than people gave to stepping on a bug?

Rin felt Keiko's eyes on her, and she turned her eyes from the Demon Lord to regard Keiko with an expression of, what? Hostility? Keiko gave Rin a tentative smile, which was not returned. Instead Rin turned her gaze back to where Sesshoumaru and Hotaru were talking, dismissing Keiko from thought.

No one else could see it Rin thought to her self, but Sesshoumaru was exhausted, at the limits of his strength. She had always been attuned to him, and was waiting for this audience to end so they could go home and he could rest after the fight with Leiko.

Someone was still staring at her and she turned to see the human Keiko was still staring at her. Annoyed, she gave her a harsh look, which made Keiko look away. Sota and his mother reentered with their clothing, gently placing it where they'd be able to change quickly. Yukio was still talking, and Rin turned her attention back to the conversation.

"There is general surprise at seeing you here in this time Father, and that you are a Raider fan."

"Raider fan?" Sesshoumaru said, rolling the strange words around in his mouth.

"Your shirt."

"Shirt…oh. There was blood and I had to change. Is this shirt bad?"

"No."

The comments from his father told Yukio all that he needed to know. His father had time traveled here, and had no concept of what was going on, what his status had become.

"How long will you be here?"

"We're leaving just before dawn," Sesshoumaru said, looking to Inu Yasha for confirmation and getting it.

"The demon world is in an uproar My Lord. The fight…there are many who side with Leiko in this time."

Sesshoumaru nodded in understanding.

"We can't change anything in this time or we negate, or change the past," Sesshoumaru said softly.

"That's why you didn't go after her to kill her."

"Yes."

"What is going on…in your time?"

"Sakura has taken over the north, and Taisho is working on the East."

Yukio nodded, knowing that his father already knew he succeeded, and therefore didn't ask for any more details.

"Inu Yasha-sama. It is good to see you uncle."

"Will you cut that out?" Inu Yasha growled, and Yukio smiled.

"Look, why did you come? You know every half crazed demon will come here now…" Inu Yasha said, angry at the danger Yukio put Kagome's family in.

"No. I will make sure the shrine is protected," Yukio said firmly, looking over at Inu Yasha.

"How?" Sesshoumaru asked, his eyes shining brightly like they did when he was interested in something.

"A form of spirit shield. And a few things that will work as an alarm system so that if any thing threatens, gets past the shield, Sota will be warned and he can get his family to safety."

"How will you do this?" Sesshoumaru asked.

"Come."

Sesshoumaru, Inu Yasha, Rin, Kagome, and Hotaru went outside with Yukio, the demon woman looking at the two humans, each of whom took her place next to her man. She saw the demon marks on them, and felt a surge of envy. These mere humans had what she had been denied.

There was a slight surge of power, felt by all, and then nothing. Sota and Mrs. Higurashi had come out but stood out of the way, watching with eyes wide as saucers. Keiko had stayed inside.

Several demon's had made their way here, and their bodies lie still on the lawn, killed by the power now embedded in the ground here.

Sesshoumaru was impressed. Obviously the boy had learned some things.

"With that in place we can travel tonight Sess…Sesshoumaru," Inu Yasha said, remembering to be more formal in this situation.

"Yes. That may be wise."

He turned back to Mrs. Higurashi and walked over to her.

"Thank you for your hospitality. We must leave."

"I'll get your things," Mrs. Higurashi said, still stunned at being addressed directly by Lord Sesshoumaru.

Half an hour later everyone was back in feudal dress and the party from the past headed for the well.

Sota, his cousin's warning in his ears, had taken a shaken and pale Keiko out and away from the goings on. Yukio saw the glimmer of the jewel shards everyone had, and knew now how the travel was done.

Inu Yasha carried Kagome and Hana, while Sesshoumaru picked Rin up in his arms before leaping into the abyss.

In a flash they were gone, and Yukio looked at Hotaru, who was still angry about the marks.

"Come. We must go."

She followed behind him silently, getting into the car and looking at his profile as he took off, anger seething inside of her.

Miroku and Sango had made their way to the well, a place that had always been a sanctuary for them. Miroku had felt that if they were here, sooner or later they'd run into Inu Yasha and Kagome. Miroku had found a place in the nearby village for them, they needed shelter, especially with their infant daughter, and Sango had already had several requests to help exterminate demons threatening other nearby villages.

The sound they were listening for came late one night, and Miroku told Sango to keep the baby as quiet as she could while he pulled his cloak around him and grabbed his staff before stepping out into the hard cold winter air, walking towards the well. Inu Yasha and a pregnant Kagome emerged first, a human woman, a miko, with them. After them came Sesshoumaru and Rin. The great beast Ah-Un descended at a silent command from Sesshoumaru, and they were about to mount when Kirara darted into the clearing, transforming, with fire at her feet.

"Miroku!!" Inu Yasha smiled, causing Sesshoumaru to look at the monk. Rin was nestled protectively in the Great Demon's arms, her cloak over her head and most of her face, but she turned to see the monk that had been in her life long ago when she'd been a child. He was one of the few humans Rin had a warm spot for.

"Where is Sango?" Kagome asked, looking around.

"She, and our daughter, are in the village."

"Inu Yasha, it's not wise to stay here," Sesshoumaru said softly.

"I know Sess. Just a minute. Shippo and his mate Riku are with us at Sesshoumaru's castle."

"I, we, we can't stay there."

"There are humans there Miroku…"

"Humans dedicated to serving the Demon. We will stay here where we both have work. You should be with your brother at this time."

Both stood looking at each other, the memories of what had been alive in both their minds. Never had either one thought it would come to this, Inu Yasha and his brother totally reconciled, and Miroku, because of his being monk, not being able to join his friend and his wife. Sesshoumaru didn't interfere, and Rin turned to look at him, seeing his eyes fixed on the scene in front of him.

"Sango…"

"Can take care of herself. You know that Inu Yasha."

"There's a war going on Miroku!"

"Started by?"

The question hung in the air, and Rin felt herself tense as she got angry.

"Maybe in the spring Sango and I will come to the village at the base of the mountain for a visit. How is that?"

"Better than nothing Miroku," Kagome said, speaking up for the first time. Kagome wanted to see Sango, the only other human who understood what they'd gone through during the jewel search.

"Is there some way I can spend some time with Sango? I swear Inu Yasha, we'll leave before dawn. Kirara can take us…"

Ah-Un took to the air at Sesshoumaru's silent command, and Inu Yasha looked as the beast ascended, wondering when the change had occurred, when he had gone from being a guest of his brother to taking up residence in a wing that was his and Kagome's, with their own staff. Sesshoumaru was more like their father based on what he had heard of the Great Demon from others. It had been their father who had known his sons, understood what each one of them would face in life, and prepared swords for them that would assist them in achieving their goals. It occurred to him that he would soon have two sons, one comfortable in the world of humans, and one who would live in the demon world. When he got back to the castle he would have to talk to Sess about having other swords made. Sess had given his son a domain. What would he give his sons?

'Inu Yasha?" Kagome asked, placing her hand on his arm.

"Are you all right?"

Inu Yasha came back to the present, and smiled at Kagome.

"Yeah, I'm fine Kagome. Just thinkin' that's all."

"Kirara is waiting."

"You go with her. I'll walk with Miroku."

Inu Yasha placed Kagome on the cat's back and watched as it took off heading for the small house Miroku and Sango shared.

"Where were you just then?" Miroku asked, noticing that Inu Yasha no longer went barefoot, but like his brother wore soft leather boots on his feet. The familiar red outfit was still there and so were the rough edges, but this was an older Inu Yasha, a man with a family, who'd been the victim of a bias attack, and who was still deeply in love with Kagome.

"They told us Kagome is going to have a male."

"How do they know?" Miroku asked, genuinely curious.

"They have some kind of machine that lets you see inside her and look at the baby."

"What?"

"He's going to be demon Miroku."

"Oh. Is that why you're staying with your brother?"

"I went there for protection for Kagome. Everyone and his brother would be after the Tetsaiga, and with Kagome pregnant…"

"It was a wise move. It seems you and Sesshoumaru are getting along."

"We manage."

The two friends walked in silence for a few minutes.

"What will I leave my sons Miroku? Sesshoumaru gave his children domains as their playgrounds. One of my son's lives in his mother's time as a human, and this son will have to live with us in the demon world."

"He will still be hanyou…"

"I know Miroku. But in Sesshoumaru's palace, he will have rank, he will belong. Not like me who always had to make a place for myself. I don't want any pup of mine growing up like I did."

Miroku couldn't argue with Inu Yasha.

"I am still a Buddhist monk Inu Yasha. I wish I could come and stay with you and Kagome, and Shippo, but Sango and I are human."

"But you know more of demons than most humans. You know us personally. We're not all evil…"

"No, but I took a vow to fight demons."

"Are we enemies now Miroku?" Inu Yasha asked, stopping and looking at the man he still called friend.

"No. We will never be enemies Inu Yasha. But humans are very afraid. There are rumors of massacres, of women and children being killed and eaten by out of control demons…it's ugly right now."

"Will Kagome be safe…"

"You are both safe as long as you leave before dawn."

"Will you do as you promised and come visit in the spring?"

"Yes, we will," Miroku smiled, clapping Inu Yasha on the back. Both smiled and they walked into the house.

"I wish I hadn't gotten pregnant Sango."

"Kagome!"

"We were attacked in my time by Leiko and some of her minions. I can't go back there to have my baby, and if I have it here I could die."

"Inu Yasha won't let you die Kagome…"

"Rin almost died having her second child, and Sesshoumaru won't let her have another one."

Sango shook her head, smiling.

"Never would I have thought that that demon would ever care for anyone, especially a human. How old was she when he…"

"She told me she was seventeen. He had lovers in between then of course, but once he mated with her, that stopped."

The baby was finished nursing, and Sango closed her top back up, laying her daughter on her lap and gently burping her.

"Do you get along with Rin?" Sango asked, meeting Kagome's eyes.

"Rin is not very friendly, especially to humans. She has never forgotten how she was treated and who became her guardian and protector. But I try and talk to her once a day. The place is huge, and we live in different parts of it. And believe me, if we want to visit, its such a bother. My servant goes to hers, who goes to her, who comes back to my servant who tells me if Rin is free. That can take two hours."

Both Sango and Kagome laughed.

"I've been talking to her though, and while I don't think she'll ever change her mind about humans, I hope we can be friends."

"Not like us Kagome," Sango smiled.

"No, not like us."

Daylight found Sango and Miroku alone with their daughter in the house. Sango had fixed breakfast, and they were eating in silence.

"What's bothering you Sango?"

"Nothing."

"Sango…"

"Kagome."

"Kagome? What happened with you two?"

"Nothing. I miss her so much…"

"Sango, what is it?"

"Did you see her? Do you see how she looks? She looks the same as she did when she first came here. And me…"

"We're human Sango. We will die. Inu Yasha and Sesshoumaru have obviously done something that will prolong the lives of their mates."

Sango sighed. How would she be able to see her friend, knowing how old she was, and knowing her friend would always look as if she were in her mid twenties.

"I have a feeling that no matter what, we will all know each other in continuing life times Sango. We must live our lives, and they must live theirs," Miroku said, taking her in his arms and kissing her deeply, for now all thoughts of immortality and death far away.

Rin looked up from polishing Sesshoumaru's armor, her eyes falling on the still body of her Master. He had put himself into trance, and told her not to wake him up, to let him wake up on his own. It was as close as Sesshoumaru would eve come to admitting he needed rest. She had told her servant to leave her food in the outer room, that she would get it when she wanted it.

The only other being who knew what was going on was Inu Yasha. Before he'd put himself under, he'd had Jaken and the annoying flea Myouga in and told them that until he reawakened, Inu Yasha was ruler of the castle and it's grounds. Jaken hadn't even protested, knowing that if he did there were twenty others who would be ready to take his place. Inu Yasha had merely nodded, and asked what he needed to know. The list was brief, and Sesshoumaru, obviously flagging now, had been very curt in his responses.

Now he was in a healing trance, and Rin would not leave his side until he reawakened. She knew Inu Yasha would be more than able to rule, that he was as quick tempered, and smart, as her Master.

The armor was fine now, and she yawned, getting up and going to lie down next to her Master, her lover, her mate, closing her eyes and slipping into sleep.

Hana sat quietly in her small room, the only light a small oil lamp near her bed. She had seen things no priestess before her had seen. It had not been a dream, it had not been a trance. She had seen the baby inside of Kagome-sama, she had seen it move, seen the full head of hair, the ears placed on top of its head like it's, his, father. Magic was advanced in that time, and the doctor had talked about making an incision and removing the baby from Kagome instead of letting her deliver normally. Doing so could cause significant damage to Kagome and possibly cause the death of the baby. But Sakura had been a large baby, and Rin had managed to deliver her. But Sesshoumaru was a full demon, and he had assisted both she and Kaede in saving his mate. Inu Yasha was hanyou, and didn't have the magical skills his brother did.

But what she would give to know what Doctor Morimoto knew, how to make the incision, how to sew it up, how to care for Kagome afterwards.

She looked up at the lamp, remembering how in Kagome's family's house they had light coming from strange fixtures on the ceiling and sitting on tables. And the things, cars, that everyone seemed to have, and that didn't require horses, or any thing else to pull them along. The others had told her that Lord Sesshoumaru and Lord Inu Yasha had not come in the car because their hearing was too delicate to stand her screaming. Rin-sama of all people had sat up front, avidly watching the goings on, grinning as aggressive drivers almost got into accidents. As they pulled up to the building she'd asked Mrs. Higurashi if she could learn to drive.

And the clothes!!! She had seen some older people in traditional dress, but most people wore clothing that made no sense to her. The clothing they'd given her made no sense to her. And shoes? Her feet still hurt.

She lay down and blew out the lamp, pulling her covers over her. If they ever went back, if this infernal war ended any time soon, she wanted to go back, she wanted to talk with Doctor Morimoto.