InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Don't know what you've got 'til it's gone ❯ Confession ( Chapter 12 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Chapter 12 - Confession

Kagome stirred in the circle of Inuyasha’s arms, her back resting against his chest, his legs straddling her. ‘Did we sleep in this tree all night? Together?’ She felt the heat of a blush creeping into her cheeks but she couldn’t help but smile. ‘I could get used to this.’ Inuyasha yawned into her neck, tickling the fine hairs and making her giggle. Delighted that she was happy again, he whuffled into her ear and nipped the lobe, making her laugh harder.

Between giggles, she gasped out, “We really should get back to the others. They’ll be worried about us.”

“Let ‘em worry,” he rumbled as teased her ear with his tongue.

“Inuyasha!” she squirmed in his embrace, brushing against parts of him that quickly responded. With a whine, he let go. ‘Just a few more days,’ he repeated to himself. He watched as she pushed herself off the branch and dropped to the forest floor, aroused by her new grace and agility as much as by the revealing kimono that she couldn’t quite keep closed. Her uniform had taken some getting used to, but that kimono was much, much worse. Perspiration beaded on his brow as she fussed with the makeshift belt.

“Well? What are you waiting for?” her voice called up to him.

“The end of your heat cycle, wench,” he muttered under his breath, leaping down to join her. Preoccupied by the thought of a cold bath, he didn’t notice the odd look she gave him when he landed.

‘I’ll just pretend I didn’t hear that,’ she thought and stared down at her feet. Wiggling her toes in the dirt, she tried to find something to take her mind off of… that. ‘I need to find some shoes. I wonder if my school will allow me to wear sandals? These claws will tear up loafers.’ She blinked and her slapped a hand to her forehead, groaning. ‘Oh no! My math test! It’s in three days and I totally forgot about it! I’ll be lucky if I pass this summer class.’

“What’s the matter with you all of a sudden?” Inuyasha peered into her face, confused by her sudden change of mood.

“I have to study for a math test,” she intoned, her voice despondent.

“Is that all?” he dismissed her concerns with a flick of his wrist and set off at a run toward camp. She took off after him, annoyed. ‘He never takes my schooling seriously. He’s such a jerk sometimes.’ He had already gained a sizable lead and was rapidly outdistancing her. She increased her pace, fuming.

Skidding into camp on his heels, she stormed up to him. “What do you mean, all? If I fail this test, I won’t have the marks to get into a decent college!”

He smirked, crossing his arms in the sleeves of his haori and staring arrogantly down at her. “Feh. What makes you think I’ll let you go back to school?”

Kagome squeaked in outrage, “Just who do you think you are?”

“I’m your mate, that’s who, and-“

“If you guys don’t mind,” the monk’s voice cut through their argument, “some of us are trying to sleep.”

“We’ll discuss this later, wench,” he hissed at her. She glared daggers back.

~~~

Inuyasha stomped at the head of the group as they headed back to Kaede’s village, stewing over the problem of Kagome’s schooling. He didn’t really understand why she was still studying. Most women her age were mated with pups of their own or, like Sango, were well into their careers. She didn’t even seem to like school; she was always complaining about it. Didn’t she understand yet that she belonged here, with him? They were mated, for kami’s sake! Well, almost…a technical detail that he planned to attend to soon.

Kagome trailed behind the group with Shippo, a comfortable weight in her arms. As much as she hated to admit it, Inuyasha was right about school, in a way. How did she expect to go to school like this? She didn’t look human! ‘But if he thinks he can prevent me from going home, he’s got another thing coming,’ she huffed. The wind left her sails with a big sigh, ‘Home… is the future really my home? I spend most of my time here, my best friends are here, but my family is there.’

“Kagome?” Shippo tugged on a lock of black hair to catch her attention.

“Yes, Shippo?” she smiled down at him, irritation melting away.

“Since you and Inuyasha are mates, does that mean we’re a family?”

Taken aback, her mouth dropped open. “Uhhh…,” she stumbled as her mind reeled. She had all but adopted the kit when he had joined their group but actual adoption hadn’t crossed her mind.

Shippo cuddled into her chest and picked at her fraying kimono. “I know you two will want your own kits someday, but-“

“Pups,” the hanyou’s voice corrected him from over her shoulder. Neither Kagome nor Shippo had noticed when Inuyasha’s ears had perked at his name and he had leapt behind the group. “What did you think, that we’d send you away?”

Kagome glanced up at him, surprised and grateful, their argument forgotten. “I think that means yes, Shippo.” The kitsune snuggled in closer and Kagome found herself making an odd rumbling sound deep in her chest, more like a purr than a growl. Shippo seemed to take comfort in it, eyes drooping sleepily. She felt Inuyasha’s arm settle around her waist and she leaned her head against his shoulder. ‘Well, one of my families is there.’

Sango discreetly watched the trio for a long moment before catching Miroku’s eye. His expression was distant and aloof but his eyes twinkled with mischief. “They look happy, ne?” she sneaked another peak and smiled.

The monk sidled closer, “That they do, dear Sango.”

“You think it will last?” she asked, absorbed in the idyllic picture painted by her closest friends, seeming to not notice Miroku slowly closing the distance between them.

Easing his arm around her shoulders, Miroku put on his most pious face. “One can only hope.” Sango knew what he was up to. It was just a matter of time before that hand found it’s way to her butt. For now, however, she let it be. Maybe she was lonely, maybe she was tired of fighting, maybe she wanted what Kagome and Inuyasha had. Whatever, the physical contact felt good.

Yep, there went that hand sliding down her back. Why did the lech always have to ruin such romantic moments? She stiffened, preparing to wallop him upside the head, but was pleasantly surprised when the arm stopped at her waist. Daring to hope, she smiled shyly up at him. He smiled back, eyes warm with promise.

~~~

Inuyasha stopped abruptly, arm tightening reflexively around Kagome, and sniffed the air. Kagome felt his alarm and clutched Shippo tightly to her chest. Then she caught the scent and almost gagged. “Inuyasha, is that…?”

“Human blood. A lot of it.”

Sango and Miroku turned in unison and hurried over to them. “We’re not too far from Kaede’s village. Do you suppose something could have attacked them?” Worry shone in Sango’s eyes as she adjusted Hiraikotsu so that it was more accessible. Kagome fished her bow and arrows from her pack, slinging the quiver over her shoulder.

Inuyasha shook his head, silvery bangs falling into his eyes. “Nah, it’s coming from the wrong direction. Kagome, do sense the presence of the sacred jewel?”

Kagome froze, her heart plummeting into her stomach. The time was bound to come sooner or later. She had hoped later but she screwed up her courage, “N-no, but-“

Inuyasha cut her off with an impatient wave of his hand, “I guess it can’t be helped. We have to check it out.” In a flash of red, he took off toward the origin of the scent. Kagome followed a moment later, desperately trying to catch a whiff of a jewel fragment through the fetid odor of spilt blood.

Sango and Miroku vaulted onto a transformed Kirara. Sharing a knowing look, Miroku asked Sango, “Do you think he’s realized that she may not be able to sense the jewel?” He swung his staff around her torso, bracing himself with a hand on the staff on either side of her.

Sango shook her head, her mouth set in a grim line. “I doubt it. He’s not one to think things through.” She sighed, cursing the timing of this attack as Kirara launched into the air. “I wish we’d had time to ask her about it.”

The first body they saw was crumpled in the ditch along the side of the road, hardly more than a pile of rags. The second body, what was left of it, was draped over the low fence at the edge of the village. It was missing its head and a leg, and one of the arms dangled at impossible angle. Other bodies littered the village like rag dolls tossed around by a careless child. ‘The poor people, they were torn to pieces,’ Kagome covered her nose and mouth with her sleeve, trying not to retch. ‘This is so much worse than any other battlefield. I wish I couldn’t smell it so well.’

A wet slurping sound lifted the airs on the back of her neck, setting her teeth on edge and her heart pounding. “Inuyasha!”

“I heard it. Stay behind me,” he pulled Tetsusaiga from it sheath, the sword transforming in his hand from a battered relic to the great Sword of the Fang. “Show yourself, coward!”

A nearby hut creaked, the walls bulging and groaning, then bursting in a shower of splinters, revealing a glistening mass of rust-brown tissue. Small pieces broke off of it and squirmed in the dust, dissolving into murky puddles of goo. It was wrapped around a crumpled form, a proboscis latched firmly onto its victim’s headless neck.

‘It’s sucking out the insides,’ Kagome realized with a shudder. ‘And it’s getting bigger.’ With each draw from its victim, it expanded slowly, shedding wormy bits of tissue like skin. A spark of anger flared and began to burn in the pit of her stomach. She flexed her claws, her bow forgotten. “How dare you attack a defenseless village and suck everyone dry!”

“Dammit, stay back!” Inuyasha grabber her arm and yanked her behind him. “Hey! Face me, you disgusting slug!” Tossing aside its meal, the youkai swiveled two antennae-eyes to glare at them. With surprising speed, the demon advanced on them with its funnel-snout extended, leaving a trail of sticky ichor in its wake.

Kagome’s eyes narrowed as she caught the clean, pure scent of the sacred jewel. ‘So, it does have a shard. I just have to get closer to find it.’

She set down a protesting Shippo, who was reluctant to leave her arms. “Kagome, Inuyasha said-“

“I know what he said, but I’m not human anymore. I can fight for myself.” She pried Shippo’s fingers from her kimono and circled around to the side of the approaching monstrosity.

Kagome crouched low to the ground, eyeing the creature and trying to control her rising frustration as she searched vainly for the jewel shard she knew was embedded somewhere in its bloated body. ‘I have to find it quickly before Inuyasha realizes I’ve disobeyed him.’ She blinked, realizing she was doing this all wrong. ‘I knew where it was instinctively, last time. I’ll have to let my instincts guide me this time, too.’ Taking a deep breath, she closed her eyes and tapped into the energy she had used to mask her scent. Her aura expanded toward the slug youkai and she let it skim lightly over its body until she felt a tug. ‘There, in its belly.’

‘The fuck she think she’s doing?’ Inuyasha stared in disbelief as Kagome sprung from behind the approaching youkai and slashed at its midsection with her claws. A tentacle shot from the body of the slug youkai and wrapped around her wrist, slamming her to the ground.

“Kagome!” he raced forward to slice the limb but another tentacle had latched onto his foot, tripping him. He hacked at the impediment, eyes on Kagome’s still form.

“Hiraikotsu!” Sango’s bone boomerang struck the youkai between its antennae with a wet smack, leaving a gouge that oozed yellow puss. Kagome raised herself on her hands, shaking her head to clear her mind. Her hands shot out from under her as the tentacle dragged her toward its sucking mouth. Twisting her body so that she was sliding on her butt, she sliced through the tentacle with her claws until she was free.

“Kagome, get out of the way,” Inuyasha raised his sword and slammed it into the ground. “Wind Scar!” Bolts of energy tore rivulets in the ground and engulfed the slug. It exploded in a shower of pitch and mucus.

Inuyasha thrust Tetsusaiga into its hilt and stormed over to where Kagome lay. “Stupid bitch! What’s wrong with you?”

“I had to get closer to find the shard! I can’t see them anymore!” There, she’d said it, for better or worse.
Converting /tmp/php2xLywJ to /dev/stdout