InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Don't know what you've got 'til it's gone ❯ Kaede's Village ( Chapter 13 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
A/N: w_j, Sexy101: Thanks for the reviews! I’m updating as quickly as I can…

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any other character created by Rumiko Takahashi.


Chapter 13 – Kaede’s Village

Inuyasha’s mouth dropped open, then closed with a snap. He stared at her in disbelief, ‘What shard? She said it didn’t have a shard…she didn’t sense it…she attacked that youkai with her claws for a jewel shard? Stupid, stupid, stupid…’

An iron band around her chest was squeezing the breath from her lungs as the silence drew out. Her hand found its way to the bottle of jewel fragments around her neck, grasping it tightly. “I’m sorry,” she whispered finally. “I wanted to tell you before.”

“Who cares about the fucking jewel?” he shouted, utterly exasperated.

“You’re not mad that I can’t see it?” She pushed herself into a sitting position, tucking her legs under her and trying to make herself as small as possible.

“Mad? I’m fucking pissed that you didn’t tell me about this! How could you put yourself in danger like that? You could have been killed!”

“But I thought…” she trailed off, twisting her fingers into a knot and refusing to meet his eyes.

He dropped into a squat in front of her, hands on the ground between his feet. “You thought what?”

“I didn’t think you’d want me if…” It seemed ridiculous now, in the face of his anger and concern.

“Kagome,” he paused, at a loss. After everything they’d been through, how could she not trust him? If he’d wanted the jewel so badly, he could’ve taken it a million times over, especially since she had broken the rosary. “Do you honestly believe that I care for the jewel more than you?”

The raw hurt in his voice tore at her heart. ‘I didn’t give him enough credit. I underestimated him like everyone else does.’ Ashamed, she hung her head. ‘How could I have misunderstood so completely?’

“Inuyasha,” Kagome’s soft voice broke on the last syllable. ‘Don’t cry girl, you’ve cried too much the past few days.’ She took a deep breath and clasped her hands together to control their trembling. “Please forgive me.” A high, keening whine escaped her throat.

Her sorrow and self-reproach were palpable through the mark, but he suspected it was his own fault she would think like this. After all, his words had implied it time and time again. But hadn’t he shown her how much she meant to him? He’d always heard that actions speak louder than words, but apparently the words were important, too. He put his hands on her face, palms on her cheeks, and tilted her head to him. “There’s nothing to forgive. Just…trust me, OK?”

She nodded, eyes still downcast, and whined again. He kissed the star on her forehead and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her onto his lap. He had to stop her from whining; the youkai sound of misery was worse than her tears. Purring for her, as she had done for Shippo, he rested his chin on the top of her head. Her human emotions had been such a frustrating mystery; now that she was youkai, he instinctively knew how to soothe and comfort her.

She collapsed against his chest, relief flooding through her. ‘He forgives me, he cares for me, he accepts me,’ ran through her mind like a mantra. She had been such a self-confident person; it was amazing how much the opinion of one man mattered to her.

When she had calmed down, he pulled her away just enough to see into her eyes. “Is there anything else you haven’t told me?” his golden gaze bore into her. She shook her head.

“So it’s true, you’ve lost your miko powers,” Miroku’s voice came from behind them. “I was afraid of this.” The couple jumped; they had forgotten that they had an audience. Inuyasha pulled them to their feet, snarling at the monk and pinning his ears back. Miroku gazed back levelly, “Calm yourself, Inuyasha. I am not threatening her.”

Sango stood next to him, her face grave. “It’s important that we know. Kagome?”

Remaining within the sheltering circle of Inuyasha’s arms, Kagome sighed. “I can’t see the jewel but I can smell it and…sense it…when it’s close. I can’t quite explain…I have to look for it, but not exactly…” her eyes narrowed as she tried to put into words how she had found it. Shaking her head, she continued, “I can’t make sacred arrows anymore, but I think I can purify the shards.” Her gaze was drawn to the tarry puddle of demon remains. Pulling from Inuyasha and walking toward it, she extended her aura and let it be drawn to the jewel fragment. She fished it from the sticky stuff, then dropped it in her palm. It glowed softly, pure and pink.

Sango let out her breath in a rush. “I need to get back to the demon slayer’s village to research this.”

Miroku nodded. “I will accompany you. For your protection, of course,” he intercepted the suspicious look she gave him.

“Mm hmm. Shippo?” The young kit had left his hiding place and scrambled up to Kagome’s shoulder.

“I’m staying with my m- Kagome.”

Sango smiled at him, not surprised. “We will meet you at Kaede’s village in a couple of days or so. I don’t know what state the library is in; it may take us a while to find what we are looking for.” With a wave, they remounted the fire cat and flew in the direction of Sango’s village.

~~~

Inuyasha and Kagome wandered into the village hand in hand with Shippo at their heels. The peaceful twilight was split by a shriek. “Demon!” A small crowd of villagers formed, blocking their path and whispering to each other.

“Since when have you cared?” Inuyasha planted his hands on his hips and glowered at them. His brows drew down further when he realized they were pointing to Kagome.

The crowd parted as Kaede came forward, bow in hand with an arrow already strung. She froze when she saw the trio, her bow slowly lowering. “Kagome, what has happened to ye, child?” her expression was only slightly less horrified than that of the villagers.

Across from the seated couple, Kaede sat silently absorbing the story. Shadows flickered across her face, hiding her eyes that perused the changes in the girl who had so resembled her late sister. The crimson star was a stark contrast to her pale skin, pointed ears peeked from beneath lustrous black hair, but it was the mercurial silver eyes that unnerved her the most. Finally, she sighed. “I cannot sense a miko aura about ye, nor human. Ye are the kitsune we mistook ye for when ye first arrived in this village. The jewel must still respond to ye because ye carried it for so long in your body.” Kagome touched the fabric of her kimono that covered small scar where Mistress Centipede had torn the jewel from her side. “Ye must continue your quest to recover the fragments, but be careful lest the jewel become tainted.”

“Is there any way I can become human again?” Kagome feared the answer but had to ask.

Kaede sighed. “I know not. It seems that your sould has merged with that of the youkai; I could not exorcise the demon without killing ye. Perhaps your demon slayer friend will find the answers.”

“And if I appease the fox’s soul, would it leave?”

The old miko shrugged, “It is possible, but do ye know what it wanted?”

Kagome searched her memory for some inkling as to what had been driving the youkai, but came up blank. The only thing it had seemed to want was to merge with her. “…no.”

Kaede stared into the fire, regretting that she had to be the messenger of such bad news. “I’m sorry my child, but ye can’t stay here. I will help as much as I can, but ye must leave.”

Kagome could not believe her ears. Was Kaede kicking her out of the village? “But-“

Kaede shook her head, sadness in her eyes. “This is a human village. They accepted ye because ye were the reincarnation of their beloved miko and they accepted Inuyasha and Shippo because ye accepted them. But they will not accept a family of demons in their midst.”

“I’m the same person I was three days ago!” disbelief faded to anger.

Inuyasha snorted, “Keh. Humans fear and hate demons. They’re no different”

“Inuyasha knows better than most, as he was not accepted by his demon kin either.” Kaede regarded him sadly. The poor half-demon was once again homeless. 'No,' she corrected herself. 'They have each other.'

“Ungrateful bastards, who needs ‘em,” Inuyasha pushed to his feet. “Thanks for nothing, old hag. Come on, Kagome, we’re leaving.”

“I am truly sorry, but ye would not be safe here. I wish ye happiness.”

Kagome stood and picked up Shippo, furious and hurt at the betrayal but trying to understand the position in which she had put the old miko. This couldn’t be easy for her, to lose her sister then have to cast out her sister’s reincarnation. “I’m sorry, too,” she paused, wanting to say more but not finding the right words. She settled for a tight smile and left the hut.

A/N: To forestall any yelling, I want to mention that if you watch the first episode in Japanese with the subtitles on, you will see that the villagers think she is a fox demon in disguise.
Converting /tmp/php8eQw2x to /dev/stdout