InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Don't know what you've got 'til it's gone ❯ A Piece of Her ( Chapter 19 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
A/N: Thanks to all the people who took time to review! This one is a little short. Oh well.

FF.net
piratekittie, Jenn-silent breed, Angel452, inuyasha4ever1, MiniSparky, TaintedInuShemeeko, Owari Nai Yumes, inulover4391, Hoshi-chan1

Bus Buddie: Fooled ya, didn't I! Haha!

Heather: You will just have to keep reading and find out :)

Sangokirara711: Thanks, it's been a challenge.

Dark Inu Fan: I picked something lightweight, lethal and that required aim.

fluffyrachel: now, now, she'll get hers...

MediaMiner.org
w_j, Inu-Shinta, ~ME, Katara, futekioosha

Woobaby: It made more sense to me, too.

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters created by Rumiko Takahashi.


Chapter 19 - A Piece of Her

Kagome launched the sickle with a flick of her wrist, watching in satisfaction as it sliced though the airborne melon that landed on the grass in two neat halves. Spinning and catching the sickle behind her back, she grinned at the taijiya.

Sango shook her head in amazement. “I can’t believe how good you’ve gotten, Kagome! It takes most slayers years to master that.”

“So you think I’m ready?” Kagome held her breath as she waited for her answer, anxious to start the hunt for the ogre that slaughtered her kin. ‘Not my kin,’ she corrected herself. ‘Close enough,’ her demon blood replied.

Her brow creased in thought, Sango contemplated the fox hanyou’s question. She really was proficient with the sickle; she could’ve beaten several of the demon slayers that had lived in her village. However, slicing melon and facing the enemy in battle were two completely different things and no amount of training could prepare one for a real fight. Then again, the girl was no stranger to battles. Maybe what she needed was a little field practice. “I suppose we won’t know until you try. Why don‘t we find a demon to exterminate? I‘m sure there‘s a nearby village with a youkai problem.”

Kagome nodded, disappointed but able to see the sense in it, and tucked an errant strand of hair behind a pointed ear. As much as she wanted to rush off and destroy that monster, she knew that she only had one chance and didn’t want to blow it. “Tomorrow night is the new moon. We can leave the day after.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Sango squeezed her friend’s shoulder and headed back toward the cluster of houses. “I’ll go get dinner started. You finish up practicing while there’s still light.”

Shafts of the setting sun flared on the edge of the mountains and gleamed off the blade of her sickle. Grimacing, Kagome hefted it in her hand. The day had gone by so quickly that she’d hardly noticed the afternoon fade into evening. In fact, time was moving at a relentless pace; it had been three weeks since she’d seen her family. ‘I have to check in before they start to worry about me.’ Her conscience tugged at her, ’A little late for that; they’re probably already worrying.’ After Sango’s test, she’d go through the well and put her family’s minds at ease. She chuckled to herself. This was one test to which she was looking forward.

Eyeing her target, a bag of soil suspended from a rough wooden structure, she ran forward. ’Strange, I’m a little slow tonight.” she thought, right before her foot landed in a small hole. She sprawled face-first in the grass, crying out as the tip of the sickle bit into her shoulder. She rolled onto her back and groaned, staunching the flow of blood with her hand. Her entire body ached and her head felt stuffed with cotton.

Red and silver streaked toward her, “Kagome!” Skidding to a stop beside her, two golden eyes blinked down at her anxiously. “Are you OK?”

She closed her eyes to lessen the nausea that clenched her stomach. “I tripped,” she muttered. ‘Hold yourself together, girl. Do not puke!’ Strong arms lifted her and held her close.

“I’m so sorry that you have to go through this,” his breath tickled her ear and her stomach seemed to calm.

“It’s just a flesh wound,” she was starting to feel a little better; her head was clearing but sounds were still muffled, as if she were covered in pillows.

“Shhh, I’ll get you inside.”

*****

“How can you go through this every month?” she moaned and pressed her palms to her eyes.

“You’ll get used to it,” he hugged her frail human body tighter to him, careful not to disturb the bandage on her shoulder and wishing he could spare her from the discomfort of her human night. “It’s only one night.”

He’d felt a strange lurch through his mark and smelled her blood shortly afterward. The shift in her scent confused him at first, then he’d realized what must have happened. He’d found her moments later lying in the grass, a human girl with hot, sticky blood welling between her fingers.

He’d dressed the wound and was now trying to comfort her the way his mother had comforted him. When he was young, his human nights were terrifying. He hadn’t understood why his senses were dull or his body different. Cuddling and crooning to him, his mother had soothed his fears until he could sleep.

Kagome was alarmed by how uncomfortable she was as a human. ‘This is ridiculous, I’ve been human all my life!’ Since her youkai blood had receded, she felt weak and disoriented. She hadn’t realized how much she had relied on her new senses and strength. Her one consolation was that she could easily sense her jewel shards. ‘So, my miko powers aren’t gone, they’re just suppressed by the demon blood.’

“You know, Kagome,” Inuyasha nipped at the nape of her neck, delighted by the gooseflesh that prickled her arms. “I haven’t kissed you as a human.”

Her attention drawn from her discomfort, she shifted in his lap so that she could look into his eyes. “Don’t you think that humans are weak and pathetic?” her voice teasing but slightly doubtful.

“I do, but I’ll make an exception for you,” he brushed his lips over hers, relishing the satin skin and delicate floral scent of the girl he had met two years ago. Though lacking the wild musk of her youkai blood, it was no less intoxicating.

“I should hope so, since I am your mate,” she mumbled between kisses, lacing her fingers through his silver hair. Parting her lips and deepening the kiss, she ran her tongue over his fangs. He moaned into her mouth and pressed her to him, claws already searching for her belt.

“Kagome, Inuyasha! Dinnertime!” Shippo bounded through the door but came to an abrupt halt, trying to suppress a chuckle as the two sprang apart. “Don’t you two ever give it a rest?” He darted out of Inuyasha’s grasping reach and stuck out his tongue.

“Inuyasha, stop it!” Kagome swatted his arms away from the kit, wincing when the action tweaked her wound. Inuyasha’s struggles immediately ceased and he looked at her in concern.

Shippo stopped, just out of harm’s way. “Hey, Kagome, you’re human! Is this your human night or are you practicing shape shifting?” He eyed her closely and sniffed the air.

“I guess it’s my human night.”

“You’ll change back in the morning?”

“Probably,” she answered and added silently to herself, ‘I hope so.’ Her shoulder wound would already have started healing if she were hanyou, not to mention the fact that she wanted to kill that ogre herself and she wouldn’t be able to do it as a human.

“OK, carry on then,” the kit waved his hand magnanimously, “but Sango said it’ll get cold soon.” He dodged another blow from the hanyou and ran out the door.

“Runt! Get back here!” Inuyasha shouted at his retreating back. High-pitched laughter floated back to them on the warm night air.

“It’s OK, Inuyasha. I’m hungry anyway.” She sighed and got to her feet.

“Who’s idea was it to adopt him?” he grumped, glaring into the darkness.

“What do you mean, who’s idea? We all agreed to it, including you!” she jabbed his shoulder with an outstretched finger.

“Oh, so you like being interrupted?”

“Don‘t you start with me!” her brown eyes flashed a warning.

He opened his mouth to argue, then thought better of it. He didn’t want Kagome mad at him all night, not when there were so many other things to do. Settling for an arrogant “Keh,” he stomped out of the house. Pausing under the eaves, he looked over his shoulder at his irritated mate. “You coming?” Her scowl dissolved to be replaced by a soft smile. She quickly closed the distance between them and took his hand.


*****

Kikyo glanced behind her with flinty eyes, making sure that her soul collectors were well out of sight. She crept toward the house under the thick blanket of darkness, the chirping of crickets disguising the soft sounds of her footfalls. She was glad that Inuyasha and his whore had chosen a house so far away from that of their friends‘. Needing a piece of Kagome’s human self, she had waited for the night when the girl would lose her youkai powers.

The little house stood empty and quiet. Pulling back the bamboo cover and slipping in, she scanned the room for something she could use. The coppery scent of fresh blood drew her to a corner of the room. Hidden in the shadows was a soggy bandage that had been carelessly tossed away. Grimacing in distaste, she picked it up by a clean corner and deposited it in a small bag tied to her belt. Twin pinpoints of red light gleamed from her eyes as she stole out of the house and back down the hill.

*****

A/N: If anyone is interested in being a beta, let me know. My grammer is rusty.