InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Early December ❯ Five ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I own a dog. His name is Edgar. Unfortunately, he is not cool, hot, or a hanyou. Nor is his name Inu-Yasha.

Author's Note: Hello, tomadachi! ^_^ Are you having a spiffy cool weekend?

I hope so!

My weekend has, so far, been just as busy as my week, but it's all good, I suppose, ne? ^_^

But anyway, as I did in SiD, I have to sadly tell you all- - -

I shall no longer be doing reviewer responces.

At least, not until ff.net stops being EVIL and CUTTING THEM OUT! ><

::sighs:: I love you all, though, you know that, right?

If you want a question answered or anything, please feel free to ask, still! Just leave your e-mail address in your review, okay?

Okay!

(I really AM sorry about this. . . T_T)

::sighs and then perks up::


And NOW, the chapter you've all be waiting for- since Kag and Inu both know of the pup-

Time to tell the family! BUAHAHAHAHAHA! XD

(OH! By the way- A few people asked about Neko-Sakura. To my knowledge, I own it. Yeah. I made it up for that chapter. -^_^-;;; But maybe someday I'll write a real series like that. ^_~)

~*~

~Chapter Five: You're WHAT?! Part I~

~Inu-Yasha's PoV~

Judging by the way my mate stiffens, my educated guess- not that I've ever really been educated- would be she that * hadn't * told her mother yet.

This probably wasn't a good thing. . .

"Curse it. . ." she hisses under her breath, her eyes wide in fear. "Inu-chan, she's gonna kill me!"

I blink in surprise.

Kill. . . her?

Mrs. Higarashi might be mad, but I don't think she'd kill her own daughter. . .

Would she. . .?

Some of the people in this time were a little odd. . .

I watch Kagome quickly stand and begin pacing nervously around the room, chewing her knuckles in deep thought.

As she wears a hole into her carpeting, my eyes narrow slightly and I raise my nose in the air.

Someone is coming. . .

"Shut up, Kagome!" I hiss, recognizing the scent.

"Damn it, Inu-chan!" my mate cries, ignoring me completely. "What is my family gonna do when they find out I'm pregnant?!"

"You're WHAT?!" screams a voice from the other side of the door.

I promptly hit my forehead against the wall.

Oh damn it, anyone but him. . . !

Kagome freezes in her spot as her grandfather bursts into her room, huffing and puffing. His eyes are wide and his hands are full of exorcism scrolls that he begins plastering all over the room.

"Kagome, you're WHAT?!" the old bastard repeats, his wide orbs popping in their sockets as he proceeds to paste a scroll to my nose- which I quickly tear into confetti, as my mate would call it.

"I- I mean- I- - -" she sends me a desperate look.

Sighing, I stand up and walk between the two, protecting my mate as I snarl and flick pieces of paper at the old man.

"She's pregnant. She's gonna have my pup, geezer. Got a problem with that?"

I hear Kagome moan, the sound of skin hitting skin telling me that she's slapped her forehead in frustrated exasperation.

Did I say something wrong?

"Sh-sh-she's pregnant?! BY A DEMON?!" Grandpa bellows, clenching his little scraps of "magic" paper.

"Yup," I grunt.

"Th-THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!"

"Grandpa, please," my mate groans, massaging her temples. "We hear you loud and clear as it is, thanks. I'm sure the people in America hear you, too."

"THEN HEAR THIS! NO GRANDDAUGHTER OF MINE IS GOING TO BEAR A DEMON'S CH-"

"Hey! He's not Miroku!" Kagome frowns.

"What's going on up there?" Mrs. Higarashi's voice calls from the lower level of the house. "Is everything okay?"

We all momentarily freeze.


Then-

"EVERYTHING IS *NOT* OKAY! KAGOME IS INFECTED BY THE DEVIL LIKE YOUAKI THAT YO-"

"Fine!" Kagome cries nervously as I wham the old man over the head, instantly knocking him out. "I'm fine! Ha ha ha. . ."

"I take it by his little speech Grandpa's fine too?"

"Way more then fine," I reply, smirking as I give the old weirdo a few bonks over the head for good measure, tearing up all the scrolls he had hidden in his sleeves.

"Good!" my mate's mother echoes from the first floor. "Kagome, what are you doing?"


"I'm- um- going to Feudal Japan for a while!" Kagome responds, wringing her hands nervously.

"Oh? How long, dear?" her mother calls cheerfully back.


My mate is silent for a moment, a few tears welling in the corners of her eyes as I put my arm around her.

*

"Are you sure you want to do this. . .?" I ask quietly, unsure of what to say.

Sure, I hate it when my Kag-chan leaves for her time, and I won't lie and say I'd never thought of smashing the stupid portal, but I know how much her family means to her. . .

"Yes," she responds firmly, stuffing her huge yellow bag full of everything and anything she can get her hands on.

Batteries, toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, towels, clothes, shampoo, flashlights, mangas, books, medicine, make-up, blankets. . . And that was just in the first five minutes of packing.

She'd been at it for over a half-hour.

"There," she finally whispers, patting the top of her third backpack. "That's about it- no, wait!"

She bustles out of her room and scampers down the hall, leaving me alone, sitting on her bed next to her unconscious grandfather- who has been doodled over by black permanent marker.

That I had absolutely nothing to do with, of course.

Curious about the whereabouts of my mate, I lean over slightly to glance around the door, throwing my black permanent marker at the wall as I do so.

What the hell is she doing?

A few moments later a small crashing sound is heard from her mother's bedroom.

"Kagome!"

I race into Mrs. Higarashi's room to find Kag-chan holding a box in her arms and looking guiltily at a vase she accidentally knocked to the floor; results of a moment's clumsiness.

"Whoops," she shrugs, a watery smile on her face.

"What are you doing?" I sigh, shaking my head as I take the cardboard container from her.

"I was getting some stuff for the baby," she whispers, a small red blush blossoming on her face as she snatches it back. "See?"

Placing the box on her mother's mattress, Kagome carefully lifts the lid. Inside lay a small pile of clothes made to fit a little whelp, a few books, and a couple of other odd and end things I don't recognize.

"Where'd you get all this crap?" I ask, though my voice is gentler then normal. The items in this box smell faintly of my mate and her little runt of a brother. . .

"They were Sota's and mine when we were little," she grins, gingerly touching a piece of blue cloth.

I nod once. "Good thinking. We can't have our pup running around naked."

She shoots me a small, curious glance before her face breaks into a true smile.

"No," my mate grins. "Our ba-pup will be properly clothed."

We stand there for a moment, looking down at the tiny outfits in the box, when Mrs. Higarashi suddenly awakens us from our thoughts.

Curse it, she sidled into the room while we weren't paying attention!

"What are you two doing in there?" she teases playfully, smiling as she sees us. "You better not be planing anything so young. . ."

Kagome's eyes widen momentarily before beaming at her mom, closing the box and hugging it to her chest.

"Of course not, mama," she giggles; though she sounds tired and strained. "I just wanted to bring these back to show Sango-chan. Some of them may still be big enough to fit Kaguya, so. . ."

I raise an eyebrow when Mrs. Higarashi's not looking.

I didn't know Kagome was such a good liar. . .

"Oh. . ." my mate's mother nods, a small frown on her face. "Well. . . I don't know, dear. Those are very precious to me, I don't think I want you taking them back. . ."

"Please, mama?"

Mrs. Higarashi sighs and smiles gently at her daughter. "Well, I suppose if you're careful with them. You know I trust you completely, Kagome."

I inwardly wince as Kagome's smile wavers.

"I know. . ."

I gently slip my hand into my mate's and lead her towards the door, my ears twitching slightly; afraid Mrs. Higarashi will say something to make the situation worse.

"By the way, dear," the older woman chirps as we step into the hall way, "how long will you be gone this time?"

Fuck.


Kagome's silent for a moment, squeezing my hand nervously as she glances back at her mother.

"For about a year, mama. . ."

Before her mother could even respond, my mate races for her bedroom, pulling me along with her.

Understanding that she really wanted to leave before anything else could be said, I shoulder all three of her knapsacks, scoop her into my arms, and somehow manage to leap out her window and make it to the well.


"Don't you want to say goodbye?" I ask cautiously as I close the well house door behind me. "I'm sure they-"

"Go, Inu-Yasha," my mate commands quietly.

I leap up on the side of the well, teetering on the edge of the magical portal.

"Kagome-chan, you know I'm thrilled that you wanna stay home for a year, but maybe you should at least tell them why-"

"No! I can't!" she whispers, tears leaking from her eyes. "You saw Grandpa's reaction!"

"Yeah. But personally, I thought it was odd that he didn't just tape one of his scraps of paper to your belly. Though it wouldn't have done anything, even if he did. Anyway, you shoulda expected that from a bastard like him."

"Yeah, but- but- but Inu-chan, it's not that easy!"

"Damn, woman! Of course it's not! Nothing is ever easy!"

I sigh and flop down on the edge of the well, my feet dangling in its dark depths.

"Look, Kagome-chan," I whisper, nuzzling her neck in a reassuring gesture. "She's gonna find out sooner or later. Whether it be from you or that moron you call your grandfather."

"Then let her learn later," Kagome murmurs, clutching my haori tightly. "I love you, Inu-Yasha, and I love the pup. But. . . for now, I think it's better this way."

"That's not it and you know it. You're just afraid of your family will think."

". . . Yeah."

I sigh again and tighten my hold around her.

"Oh, Inu-Yasha- it's not you! It really isn't! I'm proud to be yours, I wouldn't trade you for anything! But like you said. . . in this time. . . it's dishonorable to have a daughter unwedded and expecting."

"Wedded? Why would we need to get married when we're mates?"

She smiles sadly and shakes her head at my confusion.

"I'll tell them someday, Inu-chan. . . just not today. Let's go."

I nod once, deciding that letting the topic drop is the best idea.


"Kagome!" a voice calls from outside the well house. "Kagome, are you still here?! Kagome, dear-!"

But Kagome and I are already falling through the darkness together, heading to the other side of time.

~*~

Betcha didn't see that comin'! ^_~


Okay, that chapter was slightly more depressing then originally intended, but I hope you liked it anyway! ^_^ (And if you thought it was incredibly depressing- gomen! But I promise, there will be a lot of fluffy humor in this story! We just need to wait a bit. ^_~)

Please R&R!

Ja ne!