InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Early December ❯ Seventeen ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Me own not.

Author's Note:

Please enjoy!

~*~

~Chapter Seventeen: Yes, No, Yes, No~

~Inu-Yasha's Pov~

"Whew!"

Shippo and I flop to the ground, exhausted, as the remaining rays of the sun cling desperately to the earth.

A soft 'fuwwww' echoes over the quiet grounds as Kagome's toy ball soars overhead, the red rubber glistening against the magenta sky.

The kit and I exchange looks- - -

And shake our heads no.

"No more, mama. . ." the child pants, eyes lightly shut as he snuggles into my chest, red hair rustling in the soft wind. "Too tired. . ."

He's such a weakling. . .

Chuckling softly, I scoop up the kitsune up and toddle after the ball. Picking it up, I walk back to my mate and flop down beside her, leaning lightly against her shoulder as I close my eyes.

"Tired?" she giggles, reaching up to scratch my ears.

. . .

Oh gods, does that feel good. . .

Nodding once as a rumbling purr escapes my lips, she laughs, setting the ball beside her as she continues to massage my velvety appendages.

"Thanks, Inu-Yasha," she whispers, her smile evident in her voice. "For the picnic and all. . . I had fun."

She giggles again as I lean into her hand. No one can scratch ears like Kagome. . .

In my lap Shippo stirs, lazily crawling between Kag-chan and I as he attempts to imitate my purr. I open my eyes and chuckle, lightly bopping him on the head.

"Foxes don't purr."

"Neither do dogs," he retorts sleepily.

"Feh. That wasn't a purr. It was a- a- a happy growl."

"Sure it was," the kit murmurs, quickly drifting off. "And I'm the princess of Japan. . ."

Kagome laughs softly as I glare down at Shippo's sleeping form.

"Stupid, insolent brat."

"Aww, be nice," Kagome commands gently, carefully taking the kitsune's hair out of its usual pony tail so his head doesn't become sore in sleep. "He's right."

"Keh."

"But you're so cute it doesn't matter!" she continues, kissing my cheek.

I shoot her a half-hearted glare, wrapping my arm around her shoulders as she leans into me. "I'm not cute."

"Yes you are. Don't argue with me," she grins, kissing my cheek once more.

"Whatever."

She rolls her eyes and smiles, saying nothing as I take in her sweet scent, burying my face in her neck.

Gods, I could drown in her scent and die happy. . .

Suddenly Kagome breaks the silence, looking up at me through half lidded, stormy orbs.

"Inu-chan. . . ?"

"Yes?"

". . . Is she. . . I mean, has Kikyo. . . ?"

"Yes," I nod, answering the unasked question. "She moved on."

I had seen the remainder of her soul ascend earlier.

". . . I'm happy for her."

"I am too."

She snuggles a little closer to me, gathering Shippo up in her arms as she does so.

As the heavens slowly fade from magenta to blue, Kaguya's laugh can be heard through the clearing.

?

We both turn slightly in time to see Miroku and Sango- each holding one of the daughter's hands, swinging the girl between them as she giggles up a storm.

. . .

"My parents used to do that to me," Kagome suddenly whispers, her half lidded eyes locked on our friends. "And to Sota. . ."

I wince as the sadness of homesickness taints her lovely scent.

"We can go back, you know," I reply quietly, kissing her on the top of the head. "You *do* need to tell your mother about the pup."

She looks away, holding my haori tightly with one hand.

". . ."

"Hopefully the old geezer won't have told yet."

". . ."

"I think we should go tomorrow," I press, looking down at her as she pointedly adverts her eyes. She knows I'm serious.

And why wouldn't I be?

Her mom needs to know.

". . ."

"Don't you agree, Kag-chan?"

". . ."

I'll take that as a yes.

Besides, she knows I won't take 'no' as an answer.

*

"No! No no no no no!"

I take large, frightened steps backwards as a furious Kagome advances on me, eyes livid and voice deadly soft.

Of course, the quietness of her voice might have to do with the fact that everyone is asleep inside the hut. We alone are awake, fighting, and outside- basking in the bright moonlight.

"No!" she hisses again, poking me hard in the chest as I back into the wall of the house.

I glance left and right quickly.

Shit.

No where else to go. . .

Better face the fight like a man- - -

And try not to whimper under her gaze.

"Why not?" I inquire, putting on my battle face and meeting her glare for glare. "Don't you want your own mother to know about our pup?!"

"It's not that, Inu-Yasha!" she snaps, protectively wrapping her arms around her stomach. "I love this child! You know I do! And I love you too!"

"But?"

"But," she continues, looking away. "But. . . She loves you, too, Mama does. . ."

. . . ?

I blink.

Okay, I am NOT following.

At least. . .

I *HOPE* I'm not following!

"Excuse. . . me. . . ?"

"She loves you like a son, Inu-Yasha," Kagome murmurs, still avoiding my gaze. (Good thing, too, for she missed the look of relief that spread across it at the 'like a son' bit.) "To find out that you. . . that I. . . that we. . . you know. . .

When unmarried and so young. . ."

My mate swallows, eyes filling with tears.

"She might disown me, sure, but. . .

She might hate you, too.

I don't want that. . ."

. . .

Sighing, I slowly tilt Kag's chin up, gently kissing away a tear as it trickles down her cheek.

Her anger has already disintegrated to sadness.

Mood swings are very, very weird.

"Kag-chan," I murmur, trailing butterfly kisses down her neck. "Many people hate me. I grew up being hated. One more person hating me isn't going to- - - "

"But I don't want my own mother to hate you!" she interrupts, choking on a sob as she snuggles into me.

. . .

I sigh again.

"I don't entirely understand your era, nor do I really get the problem here, but. . . it comes down to this.

Do you love the pup?"

"Yes," she replies promptly, leaning even closer to my touch. "I already told you that."

"Do you love me?"

"Yes!"

"Do you love your family? Your mom?"

"Yes."

"And do they love you?"

"Yes. . ."

"If you truly love them, Kagome," I whisper, resting my head on top of hers, "then you'll tell them the truth. And if they truly love you, then they'll be happy for you and your happiness."

. . .

I blink, pulling away slightly so as to look down at her.

"You. . . ARE happy, right?"

She snivels once, smiling up at me as more tears trickle down her cheeks. The water droplets sparkle like iridescent stars in the indigo light shining from Lady Moon. "Yes."

"See, then?"

I grin widely, capturing her lips in the lightest of teasing kisses. "I'm so smart sometimes it's scary."

"Yup," she agrees, wrapping her arms around my neck. "It's scary."

". . .Thanks."

"No problem," she giggles, barely able to contain a groan as I lazily trail a claw up her back. "But about my being happy. . . I could be a lot happier right now."

She looks pointedly at me.

Ah.

Playfully rolling my eyes, I change our position, pinning her gently against the hut wall.

"I'll never let me sleep, will I?" I murmur into her neck, nipping at the junction of her shoulder.

"You know you like it," she moans, running her fingers through my silver hair.

It's then I realize something slightly disturbing- - -

I do.

Like it, that is.

In fact, I've come to be so used to our nightly 'romps' I think I'm going to miss them when this stage of pregnancy ends.

. . .

Damn, I'm becoming Miroku.

. . .

Oh well. I'll hit myself over it later.

*

"No! Nonononononononoooo!"

"Come on, Kag-chan! I thought we got over this last night!"

"No! Inu-chan, please, just give me a few days to get ready!"

"NO! We're going back through that gods be damned portal right now!"

"But I don't want to go back to my time!"

Sango and Miroku watch blankly as I attempt to drag a protesting Kagome back to the Bone Eater's Well.

"Well," the monk comments lightly, "this is different."

"Sit him, Awntie! Sit him!" Kaguya chirps, laughing loudly as she munches on a piece of bread.

Sango rolls her eyes, tending to the fire.

Shippo simply stays out of the way.

"Kagome, please," I finally sigh, flopping to the ground and brining her down with me, making sure she lands in my lap. "This doesn't have to be so difficult."

She simply looks away, arms crossed over her torso, pouting.

"Do I have to use my masterful brilliance from last night to persuade you again?"

Miroku snorts.

"NOT LIKE THAT, PERVERT!"

"Suuuuuuuure it's not. . ."

The demon exterminator lightly whaps him across the head. "Stay out of it, Miroku. This is their problem to sort and I doubt they need *your* help."

He shrugs and simply picks up a slice of bread, munching casually as he watches Kagome and I talk.

"If you love them, you'll tell them the truth," I murmur in her ear, nuzzling her reassuringly as I ignore the others. "And if they love you. . ."

"I know, I know," Kag-chan sighs. "You're right. . . I'm being stubborn and stupid. I *want* mama to know. . . But. . . I'm scared over what she'll say."

"I'll be right there with you," I reply softly, leaning my forehead against her's. "And if things get really bad we can just hop through the well again and stay here for good. Okay?"

She swallows once, gathering up her courage.

"Okay."

*

Thump!

The scent of pollution and overpopulation hits me like a- a- what are they called?- truck?

Whatever.

Looking to my side I find Kagome already getting to her feet, wobbling slightly until I assist her.

. . .

"Well. . ." she whispers, looking blankly at the ladder that adorned the side of the earthy wall. "We're here. . ."

"Yep," I nod, taking her hand and squeezing it gently. "We're here."

. . .

"Can we go back home ye-?"

"Kagome!"

"All right, all right. . ." she whispers, taking a deep breath. "Let's go."

Scooping my mate up in my arms, I easily bound out of the well, carefully setting her on her feet as soon as I touch the floor of the well house.

"Do you think anyone's home?" she asks quietly, taking my hand once again.

I briefly sniff the air.

"The runt's home at the very least. I think your mom and the old man are out for the moment."

'Course, it's hard to tell with so many stenches around here. . .

. . .

"Well then," Kagome announces, putting on a brave face and puffing out her chest, "we'll tell him first."

I smile slightly as she pushes the well house door open, stepping into the summer heat.

Then she stops.

". . . You will stay beside me, right?" Kag-chan suddenly whispers, looking back at me with a desperate plea in her eyes. "No matter what happens or what Mama says?"

I nod, squeezing her hand once again. "Always."

*

"Anybody home?" my mate calls nervously as she opens the front door, taking a carefully step inside the cool shrine home.

I have to admit-, though I like my time better, I do like this era's 'winter machine'. The thingy that blasts cool air whenever you want it. Oh! And the 'summer machine' that does the opposite for the cold wintertime.

"Kagome-neechan?" Sota's shocked voice comes from the kitchen. "Is that you?!"

"Yes," Kag sighs, "it's me."

"Kagome!" the little boy cries happily, racing out of the kitchen. "It IS you! I've missed you so much! Mama and Grandpa have- - - been- - so- worried. . . and. . . um. . ."

His eyes fall upon Kag-chan's belly, which she has covered with a protective hand.

"Kagome-neechan*?" he blinks, slowly looking back up at his sister's face. "Inu-Yasha-niichan*? You. . . ?

You. . ."

His face twists into a large grin, his eyes sparkling.

"You *have* kissed, haven't you?!"

. . .

My mate suddenly takes on an exasperated look.

"You have!" he giggles, racing up to us; positively reeking of amusement. "Looks like you've done more then that, too! Hahaha! I get to be an uncle! This is so cool!"

"See?" I murmur just loud enough for Kagome to hear. "He's happy."

"That's great," she replies dryly, taking a semi-frightened step backwards as Sota laughs up a storm. I have to admit- it is slightly frightening. He makes it look and sound like he's just come with the perfect diabolical plot or something.

"Do Mama and Grandpa know yet?" he suddenly questions, looking back up at her elder sibling. "'Cause Inu-Yasha-niichan didn't say anything when he came to get you your choc- - -"

"Shut up!" I snap, trying to keep my story secret.

Kagome blinks. "Hasn't Grandpa told Mama? I mean. . . We did come to tell her ourselves, but. . . He did overhear. . ."

"He didn't say a word," Sota shrugs. "After you left, Mama was all worried. . . She tried to jump through the well a few times, I think. Grandpa seemed. . . annoyed. . . But he didn't say anything. Maybe he didn't want to worry Mama any more."

"Maybe he hoped he had misheard," Kag-chan sighs.

"That could be, too," the boy agrees.

"Well, either way," I butt in, "she's gonna find out in a second.

She's walking up the steps to the house with the old man right now. Oh. And it smells like she has another person with her."

*

"Shit!" Kagome exclaims quietly, causing Sota to raise an eyebrow.

"Did you teach her that?" he inquires, blinking.

I shrug.

"Will you teach ME some new profanities?"

"Sure, I gue- - -"

"Can we discuss this later, you idiots?!" she hisses. "We have to hide!"

"Kag-chan, now this is just becoming stu- - -!"

"It's not that I'm scared, Inu-chan," she replies quickly, tugging me towards the hall closet. "It's because I don't want to embarrass her with my condition in front of guests! And your ears! We can't let anyone know about your ears!"

I cock an eyebrow, but notice that the runt in nodding in agreement.

"She'll skin you alive!" he insists while helping Kagome push me towards the closet. "Both of you get in there, and I'll distract them!"

"Thanks, Sota!" Kag whispers as we squeeze into the small space, sliding the door shut as soon as the front door opens.

We hold our breath.

"Mama!" Sota bubbles. "Grandpa! Takanaka-san! How nice to see you all!"

In the darkness, my mate's face pales.

"What's wrong?" I ask quietly, peaking through a gap between the wooden planks that makes the sliding door. Next to Ms. Higarashi and her father stands a dark haired man with glasses and a crisp gray suit.

"Takanaka-san! He's from the board of directors at my school- and the principal!" she moans, head in her hands.

Principal. . . ?

Whatever.

"If he sees us I'll be kicked out! My education!"

". . . Haven't you already decided you were going to stay in the Feudal Ages? It won't matter."

She sighs, nodding glumly. "I know. . . and I had planned to tell Mama I was quitting school on this visit. And that's all well and good- quitting is fine with me, now. But if he sees me here at home and pregnant he'll yell at me, expel me, and put it on my permanent record."

"So?! You're not going to be here anyway!"

"Inu-Yasha, it's the principle!"

"Yes, you said that!"

"No, I mean it's the principle of the matter!"

"Rgh! Now you're just confusing me!"

"Is that closet hissing?"

Kagome and I both freeze, eyes widening as the Takanaka guy takes a few steps closer.

"Er- no! It's just by the AC!" Sota replies quickly, bolting over and blocking the closet door. This kid couldn't make an excuse to save his soul, could he?

Terrible actor, too. . .

"Sota?" Ms. H murmurs, confused. "What're you- - - ?"

"I'll take your coats!" the boy pipes. "No need to use the closet! Go have some tea!"

"Well, it's nice to see you finally acting the part of the gentleman," the old man says approvingly, dumping a heavy jacket upon the runt, who grunts at the oddly heavy weight of it. (Why does the moron wear a cloak during SUMMER?! Stupid ancient goat. . .)

"Thank you, dear. . ." Kagome's mother replies slowly, sounding slightly suspicious as she glances at the closet.

!

Did her eyes just catch mine. . . ?

"Anyway, Takanaka-san, you were saying. . . ?"

"Ah, yes," the man clears his throat as they walk into the near-by kitchen. "About your daughter. She's been absent for so many days, it seems pointless to even consider her a student this year. There's no way she could ever catch up on all the work she's missed. She might as well just start anew next year."

Next to me, Kag sighs quietly- sounding a little depressed.

"Well, maybe," Ms. Higarashi was mumbling, deep in thought as the sound of pouring tea reaches my ears. "I just. . . I don't know. . ."

"Where has she been, anyway?" the teacher principal principle person thingy continues. "The hospital, perhaps? Still have some of those illnesses she was so unfortunately diagnosed with a few years ago?"

"Something like that," the elder woman whispers.

The old man is strangely silent.

"Well," Takanaka claps, getting to his feet. "That's all I really wished to say. Please give my regards to your daughter. I do hope she feels better."

"I'll tell her what you said when I next see her."

"Thank you."

He strolls casually towards the door, waving good bye over his shoulder.

. . .

Click.

"Is he gone?" Kagome asks quietly, leaning into me and trembling slightly.

"Yes."

". . . I guess we should get out of the closet now?"

"You should," a female voice from outside the closet door calls. "I really would like to know what's going on."

My mate freezes, clutching my arm for dear life.

"Mama!" Sota gasps, the sound of his rapid, scampering feet approaching quickly as the woman throws open the door. "Wait- - - !"

Too late.

She sees us. We see her.

We watch her gaze travel down to Kagome's belly.

We watch her eyes widen.

We watch her take a surprised step backward.

And then we watch her faint.

*

Kag-chan swallows hard as we sit next to Ms. Higarashi's bed, beside her unconscious form.

"This is all my fault. . ." my mate chokes, grasping my hand. "She'll hate us. . ."

"No it's not, and no, she won't," I murmur soothingly. "It just took her by surprise."

I smell Sota before he can even reach up to knock the door.

"You can come in, runt."

I don't bother looking back as he slowly approaches with a cool cloth.

"Well," he says calmly as he places the moist fabric on his mother's forehead, "it couldn't ge- - -"

"DEMOOOOOOOOOON!"

. . .

Kagome and I snap cold glares upon the boy, who's frozen in his spot.

"You weren't just about to say 'it couldn't get any worse,' now, were you?" Kag stares accusingly.

"Er- - - -no?"

"DEVIL SPAWN!" the old man screeches, bursting into the room in full 'exorcising attire', "What in all the hells did you do?!"

"Give me a break," I sigh. "You least of all should be mad- you've known for months."

"Liar! That child is dead!" the idiot spits out. "The scrolls I plastered on the well should have spread exorcising magic to all involved with the portal!"

. . .

Oh, the stupidity. . .

"If those had worked, wouldn't I have been destroyed by now?"

". . . uh. . ."

Kagome raises an eyebrow. "There were scrolls on the well? I didn't notice any."

. . .

Now that I think about it- neither did I.

Behind the old man, Sota waves a few scraps of paper.

Ah.

Well, not that they would have worked anyway.

"Anyway," I continue, getting up and dusting myself off, turning to face the old man, "why would you want to destroy your great grandchild, anyway?"

"I- - - !"

He pauses, blinking.

I doubt he ever thought about it that way before.

A soft groan snaps breaks the silence that had suddenly blanketed.

"Mama," Kagome whispers, gently shaking her mother. "Mama, are you okay? Are you awake?"

"Kagome. . ." the woman murmurs, slowly opening her eyes. "Oh, dear. . . I thought I had seen. . . I mean, I thought you were. . ."

"Pregnant?" she fills in quietly, placing a hand on her stomach. "Yes."

I automatically sit next to my mate and wait for the woman's response.

. . .

She stiffens slightly but says nothing for a while.

". . .

Kagome, Sota, Dad. . .

Please leave.

I want to talk to Inu-Yasha."

?

Kag-chan blinks. "Inu-Yasha. . . ?"

"Do as she says," I reply shortly, helping my mate to her feet before taking her seat. "It'll be okay."

My mate says nothing, but I can see she looks frightened for me.

I smile gently.

"I'll be right out."

"He will be," Ms. H reassures. "Now, everyone out of here. Everyone but him."

. . .

My ears flick as the door snaps shut.

"So what would you like, Ms. Higarashi?" I question, gazing indifferently as she slowly sits up, rubbing her head as she removes the cloth.

"I just need to ask a few things. Say a few things."

"Then continue."

She sighs, closing her eyes.

Hm. . .

She looks like she's gathering her thoughts. I'll make things simple and straightforward:

"Kagome is my mate. She's going to have my pup. That's really all there is to it."

"No, Inu-Yasha," the woman shakes her head, a small smile on her face. "That's not all there is to it."

I arch an eyebrow.

Ms. Higarashi steeples her fingers, resting her chin against them whilst looking me straight in the eye. I can't help but recoil slightly at the strong, cool gaze.

"Well . . . ?"

"I am disappointed," she admits, a small smile on her face. "But I can't say I'm surprised."

. . . There's that 'disappointed' thing again. . .

"Why are you disappointed?" I frown. "Kag-chan said you would be, too- I don't get it. Why?!"

"Things really are different in the feudal ages, aren't they?" she muses. "Inu-Yasha, in this time, it's not right for a woman to. . . to. . . you know, have sex with a man who she isn't married to. It's wrong."

Is that it? Huh. Well- - -

"It's the same way in the feudal ages," I shrug.

The woman straightens and blinks. "What? Then why did you do it if you knew it was wrong?!"

!

Hey!

"It wasn't wrong!" I retort, glaring.

"But you just said you knew it was! Why didn't you wait? Why didn't you marry her first?!"

"Because I'm not a human!" I bark, making her jump slightly. "Humans marry! Demons mate!"

"But you are not a demon," she says softly, placing a gentle hand on my shoulder.

"I'm not a human, either."

". . . Granted."

Ms. H sighs again, wiping her eyes. "But still. . . Couldn't you have married her first? For my sake?"

"Why?" I inquire. "Why should I have?! Marriage is frail and weak. What is so meaningful about a few exchanged words? Words are easily broken. People lie. Marriage is simply insecurity in disguise."

The woman freezes, blinking.

"Mating isn't like that," I continue, staring her squarely in the eyes. "You can only mate once. There are no 'deee-vor-cez' or anything. There are no exchanging of weak words- only strong love. And- - - well, you know."

". . ."

She removes her hand, trembling slightly as she turns to look out the window.

?

"Ms. Higarashi?"

". . . When did you become. . . mates?"

"Almost five months ago."

"And how long have you loved her?"

"All my life."

"How much do you love her?"

"More than anything."

"Will you take care of her?"

"I always have."

She laughs quietly. "Yes, that's true. . . That's very true."

Slowly she gets to her feet, she walks over to the window that she had been staring out of, leaning against the glass while looking down at the well house.

"What about that other girl. . . the one that Kagome used to cry over?"

"Kikyo?"

"Yes, her."

"She's gone. She found peace."

"So you won't run off with her?"

"Even if she was alive I wouldn't."

The woman takes a deep breath, turning back to look at me with a soft smile. "And I suppose you'll be living in your era."

"If Kagome let's me keep her there."

"So signing her back up for school is pointless?"

"Yes."

". . . Will you come to visit?"

?

Slightly surprised, I nod once. "If you let us."

"Of course I will."

She takes a few steps closer, sitting next to me in my previous chair. "I couldn't have asked for a better son-in-law."

. . .

Thank you.

"Now," she continues seriously, though her eyes contain a playful twinkle. "One more very important thing."

"Yes?"

"I want my grandchild to have your cute ears. Can that be arranged?"

I can't help but grin.

"We'll see, I guess."

"I guess we will," she smiles. "And now, if you could, please send in my daughter. I'd like to speak with her."

I nod once, walking to the door.

!

Wait- - - !

"Ms. Higarashi?" I question, looking over my shoulder.

"Yes?" she cocks her head.

". . . You aren't going to skin either of us alive, are you?"

Ms. H looks at me oddly for a moment- - -

And then laughs, rolling her eyes.

"Ignore Sota. He likes to exaggerate."

". . . Oh."

*

"What would you like, Mama?" Kagome asks softly, taking a few steps towards her mother's bed.

*

I lean against the door of the room, eyes shut as I listen intently.

"What's going on?" Sota inquires in a stage whisper.

"Shut up, I'm trying to listen," I hiss, half opening an eye to glare at him.

"Don't tell my grandson to shut up!"

"Fine then, you shut up, old man."

"Why you- - - !"

"Shhh! Grandpa, I want Inu-Yasha to be able to hear!"

"But- - -!"

"Don't you want to know what Mama's saying about your unborn great grandson or daughter?"

". . . Oh, all right, I'll shut up."

"Thank you."

*

"I wanted to talk to you about Inu-Yasha, dear," Ms. H replies, patting the mattress next to her. The springs creak as Kag-chan sits beside her.

"What about Inu-Yasha?"

"Dear. . . Do you love him?"

"Yes. Without a doubt."

"Does he love you?"

"Yes. He tells me so all the time."

"But words a weak."

*

My eyes snap open.

That- that- that- - - ! She's using my own words against me!

Grr. . .

But wait- - -

*

"Not his," Kagome tells her confidently. "Not only is he my mate, but he's never lied to me. Never. Not even about. . . Kikyo.

. . .

He's always risking his life for me. His actions speak just as loudly."

. . .

"Good answer," her mother says quietly, her smile evident in her voice.

*

Yes. . . Very good answer.

"What's going on, Inu-Yasha-niichan?"

"Shh!"

*

"What about this child, Kagome? Do you love it?"

"Of course I do!"

"Are you happy in his time?"

"Yes. My friends are there and so is he."

"But your family is here."

"*They're* my family too. And we'll visit you, if you want."

Ms. Higarashi sighs.

". . . Kagome, are you going to stay there?"

. . .

"Yes. I was going to tell you that I wished to quit school, but since Takanaka-san already came. . . "

"Mmm."

. . .

"Mama?" Kagome asks timidly. "Are you mad at me?"

". . .

No," she finally murmurs. I can hear her take her daughter's hands in her own. "No, I'm not mad.

At first I was disappointed. . . And mad at myself. But. . .

But he really loves you.

He really, really loves you.

He's going to make a good hus- sorry- mate, and a good father."

"So you're even okay that we're not getting married?"

I can see Ms. H smiling in my mind's eye.

"Yes. Once again, at first I. . .

But then Inu-Yasha explained it to me. And. . . he's right. Marriage is easily broken.

This mating. . .

It sounds stronger."

Kagome giggles softly. "Yes, I suppose it is."

"Well, that's all, I suppose," her mother announces, getting to her feet as the bed squeaks again. "You coming?"

"Yup, I am."

The mattress creaks once more.

"Oh! And I insist that you two stay tonight."

"But- !"

"I insist."

"I dunno. . ."

"Come on! Please, dear?"

". . . Well. . . I guess Shippo will be okay for one night. . ."

"Good!" Ms. Higarashi claps. "Oh! But please try to keep quiet when indulged in- - -"

"MAMA!"

"Kagome, I've been pregnant before too, you know."

"Still- - -!"

The woman laughs. "Well, let's go make dinner. Of course, we have to give the eavesdropping boys a chance to run away, first. This is your chance, guys!"

*

Sota, the old man, and I exchange glances- - -

Before doing the smart thing and scattering.

*

"Inu-Yasha?"

"Mmm?" I grunt, rolling over to face my mate as she blinks through the moonlight pouring through her window.

"What did you say to Mama?" she questions quietly, snuggling into my chest as she looks into my eyes. "What did you say to make her so. . . so okay with everything?"

"The truth," I reply, stifling a yawn as I wrap my arms around her, resting my hands on her stomach.

She laughs sleepily, closing her stormy orbs. "You know, what with all these butt-saving speeches you've been doing, I think I might sign you into politics. . ."

. . . ?

". . . What?"

"Never mind," she giggles. "Never mind. . ."

Huh.

"If you say so," I reply quietly, closing my eyes as well.

. . .

. . . ?

"Shh!" Sota whispers from the doorway, carefully pushing open the door. "They're asleep!"

"Aww!" Ms. H gushes. "They're so cute!"

"They're naked!" the old man hisses.

"They are- - - ? Oh my God! Gross! My eyes!" the runt squeaks.

"Oh, of course they are, dad!" Kagome's mother replies, unfazed. "But they've got blankets covering them!"

"My ey- - - ! Oh. Yeah. They do, don't they?"

"Humph. They're too young for any of this."

"Admit it, dad. You're excited too."

". . . Curses. How'd you know?!"

"Your smile was a rather big hint."

"Haha! I get to be an uncle!"

"And I get to be a grandma! Ooo, I hope the baby has Inu-Yasha's cute ears!"

Ms. Higarashi's father simply grunts.

"Well," the woman says softly, "let's go back to bed."

"If I gotta. . ."

"Yes. Besides, I have to rest up to make more exorcism scrolls for the demon spaw- - -"

"Faatherrrrrrrrr. . . !"

". . . Okay, FINE."

"Good."

"Goodnight."

"Night."

"S leep well."

. . .

I crack open an eye, finding everyone but Ms. H has left.

She smiles at me and inclines her head before walking away, giving silent approval.

Smiling slightly I roll over, hugging Kagome even closer before falling back to sleep.

~*~

^_^ Whew!

That was a long chapter! Thirty-three pages!

Well, you all deserve it, after the long wait I put you through. ^_^;;;

Please R&R!

Ja ne!

*Kagome-neechan: 'Neechan' added to the name is like '[Big] Sister Kagome'.

*Inu-Yasha-niichan: Just like 'neechan' for Kagome. 'niichan' added is like '[Big] Brother Inu-Yasha.' You can hear both of these name endings in the second movie. Dunno about anytime else.