InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Early December ❯ Twenty Two ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own!

Author's Note: All right, all right! I'm back! Please don't kill me! ::cowers::

^_^; Yes, I know it's been a while- I'm sorry! I've just been really bu- - -

Reviewers: Oh, SHUT UP!

One: ~maiden...i am one of your fiction fans and i REALLY want you to update this one. by the way,i saw your nomination on the elimination page. hope you fo great.~

o_O Elimination page. . . ? That sounds. . . ::gulp:: bad. . . Why am I being eliminated? Or. . . is this a good thing. . . ? (Hope so!) Someone- please- an explanation?

Two: ~you misspelled 'kouga'. at the episode beginning {which i saw last night... stupid ytv} spells it koga. just thought i'd mention it...purple! smiles~

Actually, I sort of did, and I sort of didn't. In the Japanese manga, names are spelt like this: Shippou, Kikyou, Kouga, etc. The `u' is added as an `elongater'. However, for some reason that I'm not quite sure of, I only picked up on adding the `u' to Kouga's name. Everyone else I take out the `u'. ^_^;;;; ::nervous laugh::

Three: Kin103- woo! Princess Bride rocks! XD

Four: ~this really is a good story. but if you don't like it, don't write it. seriously i never wrote anything to you saying hurry up or please please please. but you make me feel like an idiot for reading story you say you don't even like to write. don't take your own issues out on us as readers. i hope you do write more, but don't make us feel guilty for it.~

>< I DO LIKE THIS STORY! I do I do I do I do I do! It's just not one of my favorites to write!

Five: ~hey that was great but I'm a little confused did Kagome become half demon or fulldemon or did Inuyasha become full human I have no clue well plz answer that for me because i don't know what to picture them as now I'm so confused @.@ =Amanda=~

Kagome is still a human, and Inu-Yasha is still a hanyou. All the wish did was insure that they would all live for the same amount of time (and age at the same rate). ^_^

Six: BeautifulAkiko-02- so. . . how old's your brother? ^_~ ::laughs:: Tell him I'm flattered that he'd write a poem about me (no matter how. . . odd). Anyway. . . ::pokes self:: I think I'm more soft than rough. ^_~

Seven: Someone asked how to pronounce Kaguya's name. So here you go: KA guya. ^_^ And for everyone who wanted to know why her name is what it is- you'll enjoy this chapter! XD

Eight: Someone asked about my plot- it does seem sort of worn out by now, doesn't it? But don't worry- I do have something up my sleeve- though it's not all that exciting. ^_^; We're in month six now, and- well- the next few chapters are basically gonna be focused on preparing for the baby. Not many chapters left- maybe one or two for month six, seven, and eight- and than the two part birth! ^_^_^_^_^_^ Exciting, ne? I know you all want to know what the baby- or babies, as many of you suspect- is/are gonna be!

Nine: Just a note- sorry for the crappy writing job of last chapter. -_- I re-read it and caught, like, twenty grammar mistakes. . . gomen. . .

All right. . . I think that's all! ^_^ Please enjoy!

~*~

~Chapter Twenty Two: Oh, What's in a Name?~

~Kagome's PoV~

BOOM!

I wince as another roll of thunder crashes outside Sango and Miroku's tiny hut. The weak grass curtains covering the door and windows tremble and the roof creaks as torrents of rain pound down on us, making me shiver instinctively. It sounds cold. And as a small draft blows in through the reed-blanketed door I realize something: it IS cold.

Welcome, fall, month six of my pregnancy- - -

And total chaos.

Sango and I exchange pained glances as the sounds of utter destruction pour from the only other room in the house.

Bam!

Bam!

Bam!

THWOCK!

"Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn! Damn- fuck- shit- - -!"

"Inu-Yasha, you told ME I couldn't swear like that!"

"That's different- you're a ki- - - Kaguya, give me back the damn hammer!"

"Damn! Fuck! Shit!"

A feminine giggle, a sigh.

"Whatever happened to that cute lisp you used to talk with?"

"Ass- Dunno- Bastard!"

"God, dog breath! I can't believe you'd teach a PUP such words!"

"Why you- - - !"

The sound of clasping hands and the clatter of a fallen tool.

"Why, Kouga-kun! I didn't realize you cared so much for me! As reward, would you please let me bare your chi- - - ?"

"NOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

"But Kouga-kun- - - ! No, don't run!"

"Get AWAY from me, you little freak!"

"Kouga! Don't talk to Kaguya-chan like that!"

The sound of clasping hands.

"Why, Shippo-chan! I didn't realize you cared so much fo- - - !"

"Shut up, Kaguya!"

"Aww, but Unccy- - - !"

"Don't you `Unncy' me! Get over here! I think it's time for a nap!"

"N-No! No nap! NOOOOOO!"

"Get back here!"

"Hey, you guys! Careful! You're gonna run into the cri- - - !"

CRASH!

The exterminator and I hang our heads in exasperation as we work on lunch- Sango slowly stirring a huge pot of ramen (we decided to combine all the packets), and I carefully slicing a fresh nashi* into bite sized pieces. But though their noise is (very) irritating- I have to admit that it's sort of like listening to a radio drama.

I like radio dramas.

And hey, when you're pressed for entertainment- you take what you can get.

"You- you broke it!" Shippo's wailing voice echoes over a sudden, quiet burst of thunder. "You broke the crib!"

"Oh, it was only half-finished anyway," Kouga scoffs. "Don't be such a cry- ba- - - DON'T TOUCH MEEE~EEEE!" he suddenly sobs.

"But Kouga-kun," Kaguga purrs, probably batting her eyes up at the wolf demon. "How can I *not* touch one as wonderful as you?"

"It's- it's broken!" the kitsune continues to blubber, oblivious to the others. "It's destroyed. . . !"

"Oh, come off it, kid," Inu-Yasha sighs. "We'll fix it, okay? We'll make it better than ever- you and me."

". . . Promise?" Shippo sniffles.

"Promise."

Awww!

I can't help but smile, resting a hand on my stomach. Inu-chan's gonna make such a good father. . .

"Hey, Kagome-chan?"

!

I jump, Sango's voice snapping me suddenly back to reality.

"Yes?" I reply, blinking up at her as she moves from her place by the warm fire, fishing through a near-by chest for the silver ware. I get up and help by fetch a pail of fresh water and a kettle from the corner, preparing tea.

"Have you put any thought into naming your child, yet?" she inquires while rooting through my yellow knapsack, eventually fishing out a packet of napkins and a box of tea bags. She loves the tea bags from my time- she personally thinks they taste better than `real' tea. And- I have to agree with this one- they're a hell of a lot easier to use. (Faster too- Who wants to sit around grinding leaves into powder, anyway?)

I blink, not having expected this question (Thought what I was expecting, even I'm not sure.), nor, might I add, having a good answer for it. Honestly I'd forgotten about having to name the baby. Who wants to admit that?!

"Uh. . . well. . ." I stumble, embarrassed to say I haven't even thought of that little detail. "I. . . um. . ." I turn desperately towards the other room. "Er. . . well. . . Lunch time!"

"LUNCH?" four voices gasp in unison as Sango glared half-heartedly in my direction. I shrug with a nervous laugh.

"Let me out!"

"No, me!"

"Ladies first!"

"I'm hungriest!"

You could probably hear the pushing and shoving and biting and arguing from a mile a way- despite the rain.

"Um. . . it's true. . . it's lunch time," I squirm, trying to ignore my best friend's glare.

"Kagome," she sighs, "you can't start to procrastinate! A name is one of the most exciting and fun things about having a baby! . . . Besides. . . you know. . . actually making one."

. . .

"I cannot believe you just said that, Sango."

She blushes, looking away determinedly. "Well, you can't be married to Houshi-sama for over six years and not have him rub off on you. . . You know?"

I shrug in agreement, though I- never having been married to Miroku- don't know. It's just easier to agree. "Okay. . ."

"God- stop pushing, you mangy wolf!"

"Only if YOU stop shoving, flea-ridden mutt!"

"What are YOU doing here anyway, Kouga? Don't you have pack mates to eat with?"

"Bite me, kit."

"I'LL bite you, Kouga-kun. . ."

"I told YOU to stay away!"

"Anyway," Sango claps her hands together as the others fight their way through the door way, "since you obviously have no ideas, I'll help you!"

"Oh. . . joy," I force a smile. Now that we're on the subject of names I've sort of realized that I want to choose a name with my mate- and have his help alone. . . though I guess it's nice that she wants to help. . . I bite back a sigh as the others finally manage to make their way into the main room and crowed around the fire, bowls thrust out before them in expectation. "So. . . what do you suggest?"

"How about. . . Sango? After your loving and caring best friend?" she grins, dishing ramen into each of the empty bowls as I grace her with a dry look, pouring tea. "No."

"Than how about Miroku, after your loving best friend's husband?"

"No!"

"What are we talking about?" Shippo inquires through his slurped noodles, loudly gulping down a cup of tea in the process. Yes, this is the result of having Inu-Yasha as a role modal throughout the years.

But yes- before anyone asks- I still believe my Inu-chan will make a good dad. He might just need a little. . . tweaking in some areas.

"Baby names," the demon exterminator answers for me in cheerful tones, capturing a slice of nashi between her chopsticks and holding it to her lips. "Kagome-chan and Inu-Yasha will need quite a few to choose between before month nine comes along."

"Ah, yes, they will," Miroku nods in agreement, looking wise as he takes a deep draft from his tea. "Many names indeed."

. . .

Inu-Yasha and I exchange glances. `Yes,' our eyes agree, `be afraid. Be very afraid.'

"How did you choose my name, daddy?" Kaguya questions, cocking her head and holding her oversized chopsticks to her mouth, looking cute.

"Aaah," the monk grins, a familiar lecherous twinkle in his violet eyes, "what a story that is, my daughter. Do you know what the name `Kaguya' means?"

Everyone around the fire- who are all listening out of either boredom or curiosity- shake their heads `no'.

"It means `moonlight,'" Miroku informs, smiling as Sango's face suddenly begin to darken- from peach. . . to pink. . . to magenta. . . "Yes. . . it was a beautiful full moon night. . . dozens of stars. . . not a single cloud. The moonlight caressed your mother's bare, beautiful body like a blanket: giving her an angelic glo- - - "(Thankfully) He's cut off by a large vat- the large vat that had, moments ago, been used for ramen- bashing him upside the head.

"SHUT UP!" Sango hisses, cheeks on fire. "They don't need to KNOW that!"

"But my darling, I was simply answer Kaguya's ques- - - "

"SHE didn't need to know EITHER!"

"Wow, that was a wonderful story," my hanyou drawls, breaking up their row as the smallest of embarrassed flushes tinges his flesh. "So, what- you're suggesting we name our pup `dark room' or something?"

Sango and Miroku fall completely silent, staring blankly at us.

"Inu-Yasha!" I gaped, covering my own burning face with my hands. "You shut up, too!"

". . . THAT'S where you two did it?" Miroku blinks, seemingly disgusted. "In a *dark room*? Inu-Yasha- have you no imagination? No pride as a man or as a romantic? You did at least, I hope, have a window or flowers or something?"

Inu-Yasha looks away, grumbling as the blood rushes to his head.

"Miroku!" I gasp. "Butt out, would you?! I had a great time with Inu-Yas- - - why the hell am I telling you this?!"

Kaguya, Shippo, and Kouga simply sit in silence as the four of us argue: the little girl looking amused, the kitsune looking horrified, and Kouga looking angry- if not a little jealous.

"Houshi-sama! Leave them alone!"

"I cannot believe that, after all this time watching me, Inu-Yasha, you'd still do something so primitive!"

"SHUT UP, MONK!"

"*ALL* OF YOU SHUT UP!"

We all do- turning our attention to an irritated Kouga, who's chopsticks have snapped in his hands.

"I, for one," he snarls, eyes flashing, "do not care about listening to your sex lives."

Shippo winces at the three-letter word as Kaguya giggles.

"So please," he continues in a voice of forced clam, "save this argument for another time- preferably when I'm not around to throw up over it."

We all nod slowly- everyone but Miroku sporting cherry colored cheeks.

"Thank you," the wolf says in clipped tones. "Now- can we please return to naming Kagome's pup?"

"Thank you. . ." Shippo murmurs under his breath.

"All right, let's," Sango nods, instantly perking up and forgetting about her pervert of a husband. "How about. . . Sakura?"

I force myself to think it over for a moment, and then shake my head. "Too common."

"Ai?"

"Too short- and too many vowels."

"Yume?"

"Nah."

"Shigure?"

"Nuh uh."

The other's heads snap back and forth, watching our verbal tennis match play out.

"Kyo?"

"No."

"Manta?"

"Dream on."

Sango glares, visibly irritated. "You're not making this very easy, Kagome."

"I'm sorry," I sigh, knowing inside that I'm purposely being difficult, "But. . . well, I want the pup's name to have some sort of meaning, you know? Like. . . er- Kaguya's, to some extent."

"So you're voting for `dark room'?" Miroku teases, earning three icy glares.

"Shut up," I grumble, annoyed.

"But all joking aside," the monk continues casually, "we have yet to hear a true suggestion or opinion from the father of this baby."

I give a start, noticing this myself. "Yeah, Inu-chan. Don't you have any opinion?" My hanyou does a double take as he realizes that all the attention in the room has fallen upon him. "Uh. . ."

"Don't you care what your child's name is?" Sango presses, pointing at him with her soup ladle. He scoots slowly away, bowl of ramen still clasped in his hands.

"Of course I care!" he glares. "I just. . . just don't have any ideas, okay?"

"Well, why don't you name the pup after something you love?" the exterminator suggests. "That's why I agreed to name Kaguya `Kaguya'."

"Hmmm," Inu-Yasha ponders. "Something I love. . . ?" His eyes wander down to his lunch. "Let's see. . . Oh, I know! How about- - -"

I feel my eyebrows twitch.

No- he's not going to say THAT, is he?!

Oh, gods- he IS!

I can't BELIEVE him!

In a burst of anger, I suddenly throw my bowl at him, feeling a surge of satisfaction as it knocks him upside the head. "No! We are NOT naming our child RAMEN! SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!"

The whole house shakes violently, the sound of Inu-Yasha slamming into the ground drowning out even the loudest cracks of thunder.

*

Later that night I lay curled up on my sleeping mat, purposely looking anywhere but at Inu-Yasha. He can be so stupid! To think he'd even *suggest* naming our baby after a NOODLE DISH!

The rain continues to pound outside, drowning out my grumbles as it hammers against the red-leafed momiji trees. Than I hear it:

"Kagome. . . ?"

The soft, pleading whisper of my ignored mate as he gingerly taps my shoulder. I shrug him off with a `humph!'. He sighs.

"Kag-chan, what's wrong? Why are you mad at me?" he whimpers, sticking his face in front of mine before I can turn away. He pouts, his ears drooping pathetically. I try to resist the urge to reach out and scratch his doggy appendages- - -

And fail.

He begins to purr softly, nuzzling me gently while wrapping his arms around my middle, pulling me close. Then he smirks, making me blink in surprise as his ears flip back up. "Ha. I knew you couldn't resist the puppy look."

. . .

"I hate you."

"I know. That's why you love me so much."

". . . That makes no sense." I try to frown but end up smiling at his light, teasing attitude. He winks, kissing my cheek.

"I know that, too. But what I don't know is what pissed you off so much earlier." He arches an eyebrow in question, urging me silently to confess my feelings. "I didn't even *say* anything and you went and hit me! AND sit me!"

. . .

He frowns as I sigh, knowing he's got a point. "I'm sorry, Inu-chan. I just thought you were gonna suggest naming our pup Ramen, and that made me mad. I mean, after all the jokes proceeding their asking you, I just sort of assumed. . ."

"Understandable," he agrees rather grudgingly, a little annoyed over the whole ordeal- though he's doing a very good job at masking that (for the most part).

"I just. . ." I swallow hugging him closer. "I just want our baby's name to be special. I want it to have a meaning behind it. And if you even THINK `dark room' again," I warn, suddenly glaring up at him, "I'll say the `s' word so many times the pup will be full grown before you've managed to crawl out of the hole."

He winces and swallows, knowing I mean what I say. Mood swings, as he once grumbled under his breath, are a bitch. "Got it."

I sigh again, resuming my original cuddling position. "So yeah, that's what's wrong. I. . . I guess, all in all, I just want to wait until I meet our pup to name him or her."

"That's fine," Inu-Yasha smiles gently, running his fingers through my hair.

"We can wait for a name- that's okay. Actually, I'd prefer if we did."

?

"Why?" I ask with a curious frown. His grin slowly widens as he nips my nose affectionately.

"It gives me a chance to come up with a better idea than `Ramen'."

. . .

"I hate you."

"I know. Good night, Kag-chan."

~*~

Sorry if this chapter sucks- I'm SO tired. (Jet lag -_-;)

^_^ Hope you enjoyed anyway, though.

Ja ne!

*Nashi- a type of Japanese fruit. They're a sort of mix between pears and watermelons that you can only find at `upper crust' grocery stores in the USA. They're called `Asian Pears', I believe.