InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Early December ❯ Twenty Three ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: ::sings to the tune of `The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything' from Veggie Tails:: I am the authoress- who don't own anything! I just stay home and write for fun! And if you ask me, if I own anything! I shall tell you- I don't own anything! ^_^

Author's Note: Hey, guys! How are you? I'm all right. . . I'm really, really disappointed due to a crappy turn of events in a choral contest, but. . . ce la vi, I suppose. Snaps for my friend Molly, though, (Gods, I mention her a lot in this fic, don't I?) who got a 1! (FYI- that's a good thing. ^_~) XD Go you!

Anybob-

One: The fanfiction elimination contest! WOO! This fic is up for season four! XD For those of you who don't know- this contest is sort of like `weakest link'- you vote for the story you want to win and the losers are `eliminated' from the contest. So please vote for me. . . ? Please? Here's the URL: http : / / www . geocities . com / bikifriend / main . html. (You can either take out all the spaces, or just click on the link on my bio. ^_~)

Two: The name of Inu and Kag's kid. I got some cute suggestions from reviewers (some who seriously thought Ramen was a great name. . . ^_^;;)- however, I already know the name of their pup, gender, etc. Thank you for the suggestions, though!

Three: In regards to the wish on the Jewel- they're all living at Inu's life span. (If it was a human's life span Inu's hair would have turned silver for a different reason, ne? ^_~)

Four: Chibi Horsewoman- gomen nasai, but I don't believe I am stalking you. . . ? ^_^;;; I'll let you know if I decide to, though. ^_~ (I was happy to see how enthusiastic you were at the prospect of my watching you. XD)

Five: ~Oh -- is Koga-kun so depressed when they talk about their sex lives because he doensn't have one?~

^_^ Let's ask him.


~Kouga: . . .

Maiden of the Moon: Kouga-kun, were you depressed when they talked about their sex lives because you don't have one?

Kouga: . . .

Maiden of the Moon: Well. . . ?

Kouga: . . . Bite me.~

^_^; I take that as a `yes'.

***********************************PLEASE READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ***********************************

~I didn't read all your comments at the beginning, so I don't know if this was asked already.~


People, PLEASE! I know my long A/Ns are a pain, but you know what? They wouldn't be so long if you READ THEM! Do you know how often I'm banging my head against the keyboard in frustration when someone asks an already answered question? Too often! And what's even MORE painful is when the answer was in the fricken chapter itself! PLEASE READ MY A/Ns -and hell- ALL of the chapter, too! PLEASE! ::sobs:: If I'm gonna bother updating, the least you guys can do is read it, right. . . ?

^_^ That said- here's the next chapter! Enjoy!

~*~

~Chapter Twenty Three: Without a Father~

~Inu-Yasha's PoV~

You cannot be serious.

You just CANNOT be serious.

At least- I fucking HOPE you're not serious.

I swear- the gods are probably rolling on the floor laughing at me right now- or just snickering at my misfortune. Just like them, too, the stupid immortals!

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH- - - !

. . .

I take a deep breath, trying to calm myself and prepare to mentally curse every deity I know to the underworld- when Miroku's voice invades my thoughts.

`Now, Inu-Yasha,' the damned monk's voice reprimands inside my brain as I recall a recently forgotten conversation around the Go* board, `you can pray to the gods. You can beg with the gods. You can plead, grovel- hell- even bargain with the gods. But you do NOT threaten them.

Unless you're the emperor. Heaven knows they can do whatever the hell they want.'

. . .

`That's a contradiction, idiot,' I had rolled my eyes, tucking my arms into my sleeves. `Besides, why would the emperor curse the gods in the first place? They're rich and shit already.'

`. . . I forgot what I was saying. Now, about your last move. . . and do we have any more sake left?'

Yep, that's Miroku.

I don't know why I put up with him. Sometimes I think I should have just killed him when we first met. After all, I- - -

"Little brother, are you just going to stand there with that stupid look upon your face, allowing me to catch pneumonia in the rain," Sessho-Maru glares coldly down at me, his monotone voice covering the rumble of the insistent, month-long thunderstorms, "or let me into this pathetic excuse for a hut?"

Correction-

I should have killed HIM.

*

"Why did you make me let him in?!" I growl softly in- gee, who'da thunk?- Miroku's direction as Sess raises a cup of steaming tea to his lips, sniffs it suspiciously (as Kagome discreetly rolls her eyes), and then makes a show of taking a deep draft from it. Beside him, his little toad-servant is snarffing down bowls of fried rice, only stopping for refills and to throw snide comments at random people in the room (spewing out rice as he did so, I might add).

"Because he's your br- - -"

"HALF brother."

"Fine. Because he's your HALF brother," the monk replies coolly, stirring his own tea in a flippant fashion. "Besides, aren't you the least bit curious as to why he's here?"

. . .

"I know you are," he smiles slyly in my direction, his confidently cheerful face glowing in the warm firelight.

Well, I may not be able to threaten the gods- but a houshi is a different matter, yes?

Yes.


"Listen," I snarl quietly, flexing my claws as- in the corner- Kaguya fixes the moon-hair pin she had received from Kouga in her hair. Luckily- for once- the stupid wolf had left us alone, instead opting to spend the day helping his pack members stock supplies for winter. Thank the gods- I don't think I could have made it through with BOTH of them here. "I don't give a rat's ass about what HE wants. It's YOU who cares! So I'll tell you this once- if ANYTHING happens- ANYTHING AT ALL- that threatens- - -"

"I'm not here for petty arguments, or to waste my time `threatening' anybody, little brother," Sessho-Maru calls lightly- though still rather emotionlessly- from over his cup's rim. His eyes are lightly closed, as if savoring the flavor of the drink- but I know he's really only trying to bite back his irritation. "I am here for. . . other reasons." He silences himself, taking another delicate- if not dainty- silent sip of tea.

I attempt to quell my flaring annoyance.

"Sessho-Maru sama," Kagome ventures quietly from beside me, where she has been sitting in a very reserved fashion. I can see discomfort etched across her face, but I can't tell if it's from my brother being here or from having to kneel. "If you are not here, as you say, to start more fights- than why DID you decide to seek us out?"

"Girl! How DARE you question the GREAT Lord Sessho-Mar- - - !" Jaken begins brashly- making rice fly everywhere- but is cut off quite suddenly as `the Great Lord Sessho-Maru' knocks him unconscious with the Staff of Heads.

Silence.

And, as my half brother swallows his last bit of tea, he turns to face us with a cool expression- an expression lacking all hostility.

Odd.

"I come to you today," he than begins, golden eyes focused on me and my mate, as if oblivious to the other listeners. "Not as a demon lord, not as the son of Lord Inutashio, not as your half brother- - -

But as the uncle of your soon-to-be-born pup."

. . .

Kagome and I exchange wide-eyed glances- - -

Before dissolving into fits of laughter.

Sessho-Maru- though for the most part keeps a cool face- develops a small eyebrow twitch as Kagome leans against me for support, clutching her sides as giggles rack her form.

"Is something funny?" he questions coldly, eyes narrowing as my guffawing dwindles down into a light chuckle and I wipe my own golden orbs free of tears.

"FUNNY?" I snort. "FUNNY? More like fricken' hilarious!"

"Sessho-Maru sama," Sango calls over my mate's and my snickers, a look of confused seriousness on her face as my elder sibling graces her with a sideways glance and arched eyebrow. "I don't understand. Why are you even admitting to be the uncle of a child you will care nothing for?"

"Who said I will care nothing for it? It is the father of the child that I despise."

"Hey!" I can't help but frown. Sessho-Maru ignores me completely as he sighs melodramatically, annoyed at the prospect of having to explain himself.

"My father only had two children. I, a full demon, and Inu-Yasha- the pathetic excuse for a hanyou. In our veins his blood flows- and I am proud of that." He pauses for effect. "However, I do not ever plan on taking a mate or having a child of my own. Thus, the only pure-blood left of Inutashio will die with me."

"And. . . ?" Shippo presses in exasperation as Sessho-Maru takes a moment to examine his empty teacup, then holds it out in expectation. Miroku fills it silently, more interested in listening than in dignity or pride.

"And that will leave only Inu-Yasha's dirty blood," my half brother continues in an almost airy fashion. "Until he, too, dies."

"I see. . ." the monk murmurs wisely, taping his chin with his thumb. "So you are only interested in this child because it will carry on your father's family line. . . ? It makes sense."

"Yes," Sessho-Maru replies blandly, "that is the only reason. Though the child, too, will have mixed blood in his or her veins, it will, eventually, be the only remaining connection to the Inutashio line. That is something I care about."

. . .

Kagome's and my amusement has evaporated by now.

And it has been replaced by anger.

SLAP!

All of us jump slightly as the crack of skin on skin echoes through the sudden silence: every pair of eyes locked on Sessho-Maru- who's own eyes are opened a bit wider than usual, a look of shocked surprise slowly taking over his expressionless features as Kag breathes heavily over him, one hand on her stomach and the other still raised as a look of flaming rage sends sparks from her stormy blue orbs. The slapped demon slowly raised a clawed digit- running it down the reddening mark on his cheek.

"H-h-how DARE you. . ." my mate snarls, trembling with fury as she leers over my half-brother, "How dare you even THINK of a living thing like you do?! Like an object?! This pup is not just a bottle of blood! It's a CHILD! It'll be your niece of nephew! Don't you care about them as a PERSON!? Oh- of course not!" she huffed. Still fuming, she took a few deep breaths, trying to calm down. ". . .

You know. . . for a moment I thought you did." She laughed bitterly- - - turning and stomping out of the room. "I see I was wrong. You're still singing your same old tune. Gods- just go to hell."

And as she disappears through the doorway, Sango, Miroku, Shippo, Kaguya, and I all turn simultaneously to a silent Sessho-Maru.


He blinks once, absorbing her words.

Then he frowns.


I think Kagome would have been safer had she threatened the gods. . .

I'm about to leap up and defend her, when my elder sibling turns to me, eyes daring me to refuse as he speaks: "Little brother. . . a word outside?"

I chance a glance at the monk. He looks unsure, and after a moment's thought shakes his head `no', telling me to decline.

"Keh. Fine. Let's go."

. . .


Miroku slaps his forehead, shaking his head in exasperation.

Well, like I was actually gonna listen to HIS advice!

Trailing after my silent brother I'm reminded of our meeting back in the woods a few months ago; of his mysterious questioning. Wooo- de ja vu. Well, sort of. It wasn't pouring rain during our last meeting. . .

Toddling into the slightly less-wet woods and hiding in the shelter provided by a clumped grove of pine trees, Sessho-Maru perches himself regally on a fallen log, one knee bent and against his chest, the other dangling off the edge as he rests an arm across his kneecap. The gray sky rumbles again, clashing with the glossy greeness of the trees around us.

"Well. . . ?" I clear my throat after a moment, flopping upon the ground- despite the fact that it's currently made of mud. "What do you want now?"

. . .

After a moment, Sessho-Maru did something odd- something scary.


He began to chuckle.

And then to laugh.

Not an overwhelmingly cheerful laugh, like Kagome's- and not quite as loud as Miroku's (or even mine) can be. Just a quiet, amusement filled laugh that suddenly fills the tiny grove with a foreign sound, making me scoot a little further away from my half brother.

Maybe he's lost it. . . ?

"That mate of yours is certainly something, little brother. . ." he smirks slightly as his snickers subside. "Very feisty." He smiles- just a teeny, tiny grin- but it IS a smile. REALLY scary. "You should be proud of her."

"I am. . ." I return cautiously, eyes narrowing in suspicious confusion. "Now what do you want?"

Collecting himself, the demon shakes his head slightly. "Want? Want? What an ironic word. . . I'll tell you what I WANT. I WANT to kill you, little brother, as always. I WANT to take your sword. I WANT to dismantle that little girl of the monk and exterminator- the one who was feeling my backside whenever she thought I wasn't paying attention. I WANT to teach your bitch a lesson for hitting me, Sessho-Maru. But. . ." He frowned slightly, returning to his usual line of emotionless expressions. "I have learnt to balance wants and needs. I may want to hurt your mate, but she is with a child that I need to insure the continuation of our father's blood. I want to destroy the little girl but I need to avoid her parents, especially her father's blasted hell hole. I want to take your sword, but I need a new arm before I do that." He waved his stump in emphasis of that point. "Finally- I want to kill you, little brother, but I need to keep you alive. . . for your child's sake."

. . .

?

I glance at him from the corner of my eye-

And, to my shock, find he suddenly wears a rather wistful smile. A minuscule one- but it's there.

"Wha . . . ?"

"It's hard," he says in monotone- but his eyes are slowly betraying him, "to grow up without a father."

. . .

"Yes," I agree slowly, turning my head towards the sky, feeling fat raindrops splatter against my face as the clouds cry. "It is."

We sit there for a long time- exchanging neither glances or words- until, eventually- I look up-

And find Sessho-Maru has gone.

*

"Inu-Yasha!" a relieved voice cries as soon as I push through the reed front door, sopping wet and cold. A sudden warmth rockets into me, however, making me forget everything as I work to keep myself erect- all but falling back out the door as Kagome tightens her arms around me.

"Inu-Yasha, where were you?" she asks breathlessly, her face pressed right up against my dripping haori. "I was afraid Sessho-Maru might have hurt you because I slapped him!"

I roll my eyes silently and carefully detach my mate's arms- which are forming a sort of death grip around my neck- smiling down at her as she glares at me, eyes full of question. "No, he didn't hurt me. He didn't even try to attack. We just talked."

"Talk?" she tries to swallow that unusual fact- - - before shrugging and pressing on with: "About. . . ?"

I bite my lip. How can I answer her. . . ? Even I'm not really sure what we really talked about and I was there. All I know is that we seem to have drawn up a temporary truce- and are not going to mention it to anyone.

"I can guess," Miroku suddenly says from across the room, eyes locked upon a letter in his hands.

. . . ?


I blink. "What's that?" I inquire slowly, taking a few steps closer as Kag's hand intertwines with my own.

"A letter delivered to us by Jaken," the monk replies easily, a small smile on his face as he finally glances up. "He was kind enough to give it over before racing out to find his master after he `woke' up."

"What does it say?" Kag asks, leaning closer to the parchment and yawning. Month seven is fast approaching and now my mate is always tired, always cranky, always hungry, always in pain- and always *dealing out* pain. The way she acts sometimes, I think I should just rename myself `sit'. . .

"Dear Little Brother," Miroku reads aloud, allowing Kag to fall back into me and close her eyes, stifling another yawn. "I am pleased our visit went so well. This Sessho-Maru hopes that his next visit will find you in equally good health."

I scoff quietly, animatedly mimicking `Fluffy'. "`I am PLEASED our visit went SOOOO weeeeeeeeeellllll!'. . ."

"Speaking of health, it was nice to see that your mate still feels so. . . lively so late in her pregnancy. Hopefully this proves your pup will be a strong one, and at least marginally worthy of carrying such fine blood in its veins."

Kagome's brow crinkled at the mention of blood, but didn't say anything as her hands protectively covered her swollen abdomen.

"That said, I would like to take a moment to congratulate the both of you on the child you await. I can only hope he or she does not inherit his/ her father's stupidity and/or mother's irrationality. Perhaps I'll come and visit more often to make sure you're raising him/her well. I suppose I'll have to see how it goes."

Kag and I swap semi-surprised glances.

"Oh, and before I forget. I noticed that you, your mate, the monk, the exterminator, the kit, and the pervert child are all sharing one roof. Outside you will find piles of sliced wood, thatch, and shingles for constructing your own. Whether you decide to take the time to construct one is up to you. If you decide not to, fire wood is the only thing I can suggest."

Miroku takes a deep breath, finishing up the letter before either my mate or I can comment.

"PS. Please tell your `niece' that I am not at all attracted to her `feminine charms' and to knock it the hell off. She is scaring people, little brother. The villagers were more frightened by the mention of her name than the sight of me."

. . .

The monk folds up the letter and hands it to me, smiling slightly as I take it gingerly.

"So," he than questions conversationally, lazily stretching his arms above him. "What are you going to do?"

Kagome twiddles her thumbs for a moment, staring off into space as she thinks deeply. "Well," she replies in a slow, quiet fashion, "I suppose we decide what we want to do with that wood."

She glances at Miroku and he quickly lifts a hand, as if to block any more of her comments. "Don't look at me. I'm happy with you two living with us. This is your decision. However, if I may comment on one thing. . . ?"

Both Kag and I nod slowly.

"I think you should both take a minute to examine Sessho-Maru's actions- not his gift, per say, but why he left it. He is clearly asking for forgiveness." He arches an eyebrow, resting his hands across his belly in a relaxed fashion. "Personally, I feel that he really cares for this baby and just doesn't know how- or knows if he wants- to show that."

Kagome begins to say something, but only ends up mouthing like a fish. Gently kissing her lips to shut her up, I take a moment to consider the moron's words. When I pull away, allowing Kag to flop sleepily against my shoulder, I return my attention to the monk.

"I dunno, Miroku," I shake my head, grinning softly. "Perhaps. But. . . Maybe it's something. . . more."

Something more. . .

Like a flare envy. . .

Like a tiny chance. . .

Like a surge of sympathy. . .

Like a hint of hope.

Perhaps he really does care for this pup, but. . . honestly. . .

I think that, more than anything, he really just wants to protect it.

Protect it. . .

From having to go through what we did.

And this is his odd way of showing that. Saying he won't kill our friends- so that Kag's and my child will always have someone to lean on. Giving us wood- so we can build a strong house for him or her to live in, to hide in. Promising not to hurt Kagome- so they will have a mother to care for them. Forfeiting his feud with me- so the pup won't have to deal with growing up fatherless. (Not saying that my stupid half brother ever WOULD succeed in killing me.)

"Yes. . ." Kagome agrees quietly, looking out the window at the shuddering trees. "I think it may be something more. . .

But either way. . ."

She smiles tiredly.

". . . I thank him."

And I suppose. . .

I do, too.

~*~

^_^ For all you Sessy fans out there who were on my tail (no pun intended) to add more of Fluffy. Hope you're happy. I am SO TIRED. (While I was editing this chapter I kept drifting off, waking up, and forgetting what I was reading. ^_^;;;)

Please R&R!

Ja ne!


*Go. A strategy board game sort of like Chinese checkers and chess combined. It's very old and usually played by elders, but since the appearance of a wonderful manga called `Hikaru no Go', (Translation: `Hikaru's Go' or `Go of Hikaru') it has begun to gain popularity with the Japanese youth as well. ^_^ It looks fun.