InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Early December ❯ Twenty Four ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: If you think I own Inu-Yasha, there are a few phone numbers I should probably give you. . .

Author's Note: All right, people- firstly, I know it's been a long time since I last updated. I've been so busy it's not even funny- and my brothers have needed the only internet-connected computer in my house 24/7 for the past few weeks. I haven't had time to be on at all, let alone write. That is why this update took so long.


A big thank you to all you pactience readers- I REALLY appreicate it! And to those of you who enjoy sending me e-mails telling me to `update soon, damn it- or I'll gorge your eyes out with a spork!'- I appreciate your enthusiasm, but could you please cut me a little slack?

Anyway- I really don't feel like ansering questions today- but if you have one just e-mail me and I'll answer it, `kay?

Well, this chapter's sort of weird, but I think you'll like it- so please enjoy! XD

~*~

~Chapter Twenty Four: Girl Talk~

~Kagome's Pov~

"SIT SIT SIT SIT SIT SIT SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!"

Sango winces and sighs as a very large, Inu-Yasha shaped hole appears on her living room floor. "Kagome-chan, please. . . this is the fifth time you've ruined the woodwork this month! Can't you- - -"

I only have to snap a furious-eyed glare at her to make her jaw clamp up.

Ha! I have- - -


(A few, remaining wooden beams fall with a clatter- - -)

And my furious, steamy-eared pose collapses before everyone's eyes. Falling to my knees as tears blur my vision, I choke on a loud sob. "Inu-chaaaaan!" I whine as he pokes his head out of the rubbish, warning bells going off in his mind- I can tell. "Why are you so- so- so meeeeee~aaaaaaan. . . ?!" I bang my fist to the ground as a shower of teardrops moistens the remaining floor.

"Wha- - - ?!" the confused hanyou blinks, crawling out of the broken splinters of wood and over, wringing his hands as if afraid to touch me. I guess I can't blame him after I tried to pull his claws out that once. . .

But it only makes me feel worse, at the moment.

"I HATE YOOOOOUUUU!" I sob loudly, burying my face in my hands- but not before noticing that my mate's ears have flicked back, a betrayed, hurt look on his poor face.

"What did I do?!"

He looks around desperately as I hiccup through my fingers, utterly lost. "What did I DO?!"

"Inu-Yasha," Miroku whispers secretively, waving to the hanyou in what he must believe his a `discrete' fashion. "Over here."

. . . ?

My Inu-chan sidles over in an instant, not noticing that both the exterminator and I are watching intently now, easily able to hear the whole conversation- even over the construction sounds coming from Shippo in the other room.

"Now, Inu-Yasha," the monk murmurs, "I understand that this is a hard time for you. But I have some advice to help make it easier."

"I'm listening," Inu-Yasha replies easily, serious look on his face as the two talk- oblivious to everything around them.

"When a woman is pregnant, suffering from monthly problems, and/or just plain ticked off, this is the golden rule: It is ALWAYS your fault."

. . .

Sango and I exchange dangerous looks.

My mate frowns. "But it's NOT my fault!"

Miroku shakes his head, rolling his eyes as he chuckles about `novices in love'. "My friend, when it comes to the fairer sex we are- well. . . inferior. Always. And it is, in those circumstances, impossible to rationalize with one of the feminine gender. To make it easy on yourself, just repeat after me: It is ALWAYS my fault."

"But it's *NOT* my fault! Didn't I already say that?!"

"Than why did Kagome-sama sit you?"

"Because I asked where she wanted me to put the extra clothes I washed for her!"

"Than it IS your fault."

"HOW DO YOU FIGURE?!"

"Well, I- - -!"

But Miroku was cut off as both Sango and I chucked rather large, heavy blocks of wood at both males heads, smiling cheerfully at one another as they fall soundly into sweet unconsciousness.

"Ahh. . ." She stretches her hands high above her head, rolling her neck. "Feel better?"

"Why, yes," I reply with a content sigh. "Much better."

*

"Inu-Yasha?"

The half-demon jumps as I approach from behind, doing a rather cute impression of a frightened cat- despite the fact that doggy blood runs through his veins.

"I DIDN'T DO IT!" he whimpers loudly, trying to mask his fright with all the bravery he can muster. He turns slowly towards me, a pleading look in his eyes as his ears flop over, a small cower shooting through his body.

I blink at him, slightly nonplussed. "I never said you did."

. . .


He blinks back, body still tense- waiting for me to hurt him. "Then wha. . . ?"

I shoot him a sweet smile, putting down the dish I was drying only moments before. "I was just thinking. . . Sango's right, we have been a little unruly as of late- breaking floors and bones and trees and walls. . . Maybe we should get out of their hair for a while? Give them a chance to enjoy a bit of peace before the pup is born?"

"Peace?" Inu-Yasha snorts half-heartedly, relaxing slightly now that it seems that I have no desire to hit him. "With Kaguya and the wolf turd around?"

"All right- semi peace. But either way- I have some chores to do in my era. So- What do you think?"

He glances me warily up and down, weighing his options. "What sort of chores?"

"Chores concerning the pup."

"Like. . . ?"

I frown.

He recoils.


"All right- All right! Let's go!" he swallows loudly, waving his hands frantically; trying to calm me down once again. And as he rushes around the room, "fleeing for his life", looking very much like a headless chicken-

I have to hide my head to keep him from seeing my laughter.

*

"So. . . we'll see you in a few days then!"

"Right. . ." Sango replies slowly, nodding as we all (`we' meaning Inu-chan, myself, Kaguya, Kouga, Miroku, Shippo, and Sango) stand silently before the Bone Eater's Well, rubbing our goosebump adorned arms as a crip wind blows through; awakening fallen leaves of red and gold. She swallows and looks away for a moment, hands finding Kaguya's and clasping them before they reach their inching destination (Kouga-kun's behind), and then turns back to me with a large, toothy smile. "Well, we'll take care of a few things while you're gone, then, and see you in a bit!"

. . . ?

That's a weird reaction. . . for Sango, anyway. . .

I quirk an eyebrow at her expression. "Sango. . ."

"Yes?" she chirps cheerfully, hefting her daughter onto her hip (despite the indignation of said daughter).

"What are you plotting. . . ?" I question slowly, eyes narrowing slightly.

She quickly slaps on a look of fake innocents. "Plotting? Me? Why- nothing, silly!"

Miroku, Shippo, and Kouga all nod frantically in the background, adding in random `nothing at all!'s and `don't sweat it!'s.

Inu-Yasha and I exchange glances- - -

But are unable to say anything else due to the fact that we are suddenly given the slightest of surprise pushes, thus causing us to top back-first into the well in shock.

Hey- - - !

"SANGO!" I manage to cry as the exterminator waves cheerfully down at our falling forms- her happy face soon disappearing as familiar wavy-blue light envelopes us. "I'll get you for this!"

But what will I get her for, exactly. . . ?

The thought still plagues my mind as my mate and I land with gentle thumps on the other side of time. However, I am forced to push the musing away for a minute as Inu-Yasha all but attacks me- checking every inch of my body to make sure that I'm okay after the ride. I suppress the urge to roll my eyes, reminding myself that he only does this because he cares. (But it does get rather annoying after a few months. I mean, how many bruises could I possibly suffer from after going to the toilet?! Still, he always checks. . .)

After passing my mate's thorough examination, he scoops me silently into his arms and easily hops out of the well and into the dim gray sunlight.

"Hey, Inu-chan?" I question as we bound effortlessly towards my bedroom window. "What did you think Sango was hi- - -


Wait a minute.

Why are we going through my window?"

I blink in confusion as he carefully sits me down on a thick branch near the trunk, nodding in approval as I grip the bark tightly. Glancing at me from over his shoulder, he proceeds in picking the lock and with his claws and easily pulling the small glass doors open. "Because you have some visitors at the door."

. . .

?

"Visitors?" I frown slightly, bewilderment etched all over my face. "Who?"

"Some people I'm pretty sure you don't want seeing you in this condition," he replies simply.

"Inu-Yasha!" I glare, feeling irritation well up inside me. "Cut it out with the riddles! Who is- - - ?!"

"I told you, Kagome's not here!" my mother's voice drifts from the front of the house. I can detect the faintest hint of annoyance laced into her polite ton.

"But Kagome-chan hasn't been here for ages! Not since we saw her in the department store!"

My face pales.


"Yes, that's right!"

Please don't tell me. . .

"We're all so worried!"

Inu-Yasha pinches the bridge of his nose, trying to keep the dislike- okay, hatred- out of his expression as the final visitor speaks:


"Please, tell us where Higurashi is- - - !?"

Oh shit.

*

All my plans for the day suddenly goes up in smoke as I detected the all-too-familiar sounds of Eri, Yuki, Ayumi, and- lord help me- Hojo-kun coming from the foyer.

"See? Told you," is all Inu-Yasha has to offer as he tries to bite back the sneer he was planning to direct towards my friends downstairs. He picks me up again and carefully leaps into my bedroom, closing the window silently behind us as I slowly ease myself upon the bed.

I pray the squeaking mattress won't give us away. . .

"Higurashi-san, at least let us come in and talk!" Ayumi pleads. "I need to know how Kagome-chan is! None of us have seen her for over seven months!"

Almost eight, now. . .

"And the last time we *did* see her. . ." Eri whispers, though her voice carries easily up the floor vents and into my room. "It seemed that she was. . ."

Silence falls.


Inu-Yasha slowly sinks down on the floor, sitting near my side, linking our hands without a thought.

I squeeze his for comfort, oddly afraid of being "caught".

But why?

These are just my friends. . . The closest buddies I had through elementary school! . . . Until Sango, Miroku, Shippo, and Inu-Yasha came along, that is. . . All the same- I shouldn't be frightened or ashamed in front of them!

But. . .

In this time of abstinence and protection. . .

I can't help but be afraid that they'd shun me. . . and the pup. . . and Inu-Yasha.

And speaking of Inu-chan- how would I explain him?! What with his ears, claws, fangs. . . !

Oh, crap- what a time to get aroused!

A dark red blush creeps across my cheeks as Inu-chan gives a sudden start, snuffling silently before shooting me an amused look.

Stupid puppy . . .

I stick my tongue out and continue to listen, pushing certain daydreams out of my busy head.

Stupid, HOT puppy. . .

"Higurashi-san, please- if you know anything at all, please tell us," Yuki begs, filling the quiet with sound.

"She's one of our best friends! We care about her!" Ayumi adds.

"And she's never been sick for THIS long- even without the medicines I've given her," Hojo-kun says sadly.

"Kids, I greatly appreciate your concern, but- like I told you last wee - -"

"Higurashi-san. . . If you're trying to keep a secret- we probably already know it," Eri interrupts rather rudely- and rather bluntly. It seems they are growing tired of the simple approach. "We just need to know for sure."

"We want to be there for Kagome if she is. . . well. . ."

"Is. . . what?" my mother inquires cautiously.

Inu-Yasha shoots another glance up at me- though this time it is much more concerned. I can read his thoughts in his eyes:

`Do they know? How?'

I only bite my lip in reply.

"Is. . . going to have a baby, ma'am," Hojo-kun replies for the others.

Once again- absolute, total silence.

Well, absolute, total silence- - -

Except for the sound Inu-Yasha's and my own feet make as we pad down the stairs- stopping a few steps away from where my worried friends stand at the bottom.

"Um. . ."

All eyes quickly turn to us and stay there. My mother seems shocked. My friends look even more so.

I lick my dry lips. ". . . hi. . . ?"

Inu-Yasha (a hat quickly jammed on his head) tightens his hold on my hand as I wonder briefly if I made the right decision- if it was smart to come put their worries to rest.

"Oh my God. . ."

I wince.

. . .

"KAGOME-CHAN!" all three girls burst into disbelieving tears, simultaneously launching themselves towards me. I only have a second to brace myself before they all crash into me, wrapping their arms tightly around my body and beginning to sob as we all topple down the few remaining steps.

That wasn't the hello I was expecting. . .

Somehow I was anticipating a few more cries of `evil!'. . .

"Kagome-chan, you idiot!" Eri screams, tears still pouring down her cheeks as she lightly whaps me over the head, tightening her other arm around my chest.

"Why didn't you TELL us?!" Ayumi glares, punching me softly in the arm as I shift uncomfortably in her lap- where I seem to have come to rest after our ride down the steps.

"You have a LOT of explaining to do!" Yuki frowns, hiccuping as she gently pokes my swollen abdomen, jumping slightly as the pup wiggles.

Hojo just eyes us all in surprise, seaming to have lost his voice.

"Kagome. . . darling, what are you doing here?" my mama blinks, swooping down to help me to my feet as Inu-Yasha- who had rushed to my side some time when I wasn't paying attention- began his usual check up. (Insert my sigh here.) "We weren't expecting you back until after the birth!"

"My mood swings were destroying Sango's house," I summarize, deciding to talk to her more later. "I thought we'd come visit a while."

"We. . . ?" my friends echo softly, slowly taking all of this in as they finally turning their attention to my mate. He, however, is so involved in his task, doesn't notice their stares.

"Er- yeah," I nod with a nervous laugh, wondering why the hell I'm putting myself through this. I should've just stayed upstairs- then I wouldn't have to explain anything!

Then again. . .

They're my friends, and they deserve an explanation.

"This is my ma- er- husband, Inu-Yasha."

At the sound of his name, my hanyou jumps slightly. "Yes?"

"Inu. . . Yasha. . . ?" Hojo-kun sounds out slowly, finding his voice as he looks him up and down. Inu-Yasha, only now just noticing that he is the center of attention, doesn't even remember to growl at the poor boy. "That's an. . . interesting name."

"To go with his interesting attire. . ." Eri whispers to me. She flinches as my mate snaps a golden-eyed glare at her.

"I heard that."

"Is he a shrine helper?" Ayumi questions timidly, understandably afraid of the strong, serious, unfamiliar (and slightly odd) male before her.

"I AM right here, you know. . ."

"Er- yes, that's right." I begin to laugh rather forcefully again. "A shrine helper. . ."

Eri, Ayumi, and Yuki (each of whom are still on the floor) exchange glances and then exclaim together:

(Oh, no- please no- - -)


"GIRL TALK!"

(Damn.)

Getting to their feet in a rush, they grab my hands and pull me frantically up the steps towards my bedroom, locking the door behind us.

Pushing me (rather gently) onto the bed, they kneel around me on the floor- serious looks adorning their faces.

I half hope Inu-chan will come save me, but I assume my mother's already taken control of him.

"Now, Kagome-chan," Ayumi frowns. "You're gonna tell us everything."

. . .

I glance towards the door, then the window, then the door again.

No where to go. . .

Might as well talk. . .

I gulp quietly. "E-everything. . . ?"

All three nod. "EVERYTHING."

". . .

A-all right."

*

So I didn't tell them EVERYTHING.

I left out the whole Feudal Japan charade- I didn't think they could handle it yet. (I wonder if they could EVER handle it.)

So I changed the story a bit- making it sound more like a corny- but believable- romance novel than anything else. (Than again, what with Kikyo and everything, I can't help but think my life IS a corny romance novel.)

"Wow. . ." Ayumi gapes after a few minutes, a look of blank shock on her face. "I can't believe your grandfather hired a boy from Juvenile Hall to help around. . ."

"And I can't believe that boy was accused for murdering his girlfriend!"

"You said he didn't REALLY kill her, though, right Kagome-chan?" Yuki questions nervously.

"Er- yeah. Right," I smile reassuringly. "It was really a gang leader named Naraku."

"Personally, I can't get over the fact that he hated you at first for looking like his dead girlfriend," Eri murmurs thoughtfully. "It seems a little immature, to me. . . And to be unable to get over her for so long . . What a fool."

"Well, my favorite part of the story is how you were able to warm his heart and teach him to love again!" Ayumi sighs dreamily, looking wistfully at the ceiling with a love-sick sigh. (Yup- thaaaaaat's Ayumi!)

"But. . . when did all THIS come about?" Yuki inquires with a creased brow, pointing gingerly at my stomach.

"Uh. . . well. . ." I strain my brain, trying to think up a story.

"Oo! Didja get it on behind the shrine house while your grandpa wasn't looking?!" Eri gasps in excitement.

!

What the- - - ?!

Do these thoughts just *randomly* pop into her mind?!

"No!" I gawk, feeling my cheeks heat up.


"Oo-better yet!- did you make passionate love in the well house while Inu-Yasha san was supposed to be doing his chores? Perhaps on one of your `sick day's?" Ayumi sings, her eyes glittering with excitement.

"N-No! You gu- - -"

"Wait, wait! I have it now!" Yuki cries. "Under the sacred god tree while no one else was around! Ah! While it was blooming!"

"Yeah!" all three swoon, falling against one another for support.

I resist the urge to rub my temples in annoyance.


"Guys, really- it wasn't like that at all," I wave my hands to bring them back to earth once more. "Not at all!"

"Then how WAS it?" Eri demands, siting up so briskly that Ayumi and Yuki loose their delicate head-against-head balance and feel themselves fall to the floor with a thud. "Tell us ALL the details!"

Two words flash through my mind as she says that:


NO WAY.

But I decide to humor her *just* a bit. . .

"Well. . . it was the middle of the night. No one else was around- they had all gone out. He and I had had a big fight that day, and I was brooding to myself in my room. But when I turned out the lights to go to bed, I heard something at the window. When I looked up I saw it was him."

I paused for a moment, feeling rather pleased that I had them hanging on my every word.

Maybe telling them this stuff is sort of fun. . .

"Well. . . ?" Ayumi presses breathlessly after a moment. "What happened next?"

"I went to the window," I whisper, getting more and more into my tale as I continue. "And opened it in confusion when- - -

He pounced on me."

"Oooo!" all three squeal, clapping their hands together as giggles escape them.

"I KNEW he looked like an animal! I knew it!" Eri nods briskly. "Of course he'd want it like that."

"Then what, Kagome-chan? Then what?" Yuki grins widely.

"He pushed me against the wall and began kissing me- and I wanted him to!- but he stopped himself and all but ran into the corner- apologizing. He asked me to forgive him for his actions, but I told him I wasn't mad and I wanted him as much as he wanted me. I kissed him and he told me to stop or he wouldn't be able to control himself- so. . .

I told him not to."

"Kagome-chan!" all three gasp, fighting back more delighted laughter.

"You naughty, naughty girl!" Ayumi scolds light-heartedly.

"Then? Then? Then?"

"Well, then he- - -!"


"Interrupted this `worldly' conversation to let you know that your mother wants you, Kag."

All three of us freeze in mid sentence- mid gesture- to see Inu-Yasha leaning casually against the door way; one eyebrow arched and his lips pulled into the smallest of smirks as he stuffs his hands into his sleeves. "You and the other three bitches, too."

". . . Oh," is all I can think of to say as we all get to our feet- faces a little pink at being caught during a conversation like that- and begin to traipse (or in my case, waddle) downstairs.

However, before I can leave, Inu-Yasha grabs my arm and stops me.

?

I pause casually, feeling the playfulness radiate off his body. For some reason, he's in an oddly good mood. (Probably because I just fed his manly ego.)

"Having fun telling stories, love?" he chuckles softly, a look of self satisfaction in his eyes as I give an involuntary, turned-on shiver.

"Yes," I reply confidently, wrapping my arms around his neck as his hand loosens. "Do you have a problem?"

"Depends on how much you say," he purrs into my ear, lazily pushing me back into my room.


"I won't say too much," I tell him huskily. "Besides- I don't like to tell stories.

I perfer to live them."

He laughs quietly again, though he seems a bit surprised by my answer. "Is that so. . . ?"

I nod seriously before offering my lips to him in a deep kiss-

A searing kiss-

A breathless kiss-

A kiss that is only broken when someone begins pounding on the door, reminding us rather loudly that mama wants to see us.

So, with a sigh and a promise of finishing later, Inu-Yasha and I trail after my friends into the unknown awaiting us in the kitchen- me fixing my shirt and Inu-Yasha fixing his pants.

~*~

^_^ As you all know, this fic is up for the fanfiction elimination contest! Voting for the Inu-Yasha section started on May 16th, I believe, so if you could all go cast a vote for me. . . ? I'd love you forever! ^_~ (You can find the link on my bio.)

I promise to try and update this (and FoE) soon- but my scheduals gonan be really weird until the end the end of school (June 10), so please don't get mad if it takes me a while, okay?

I love you all!

Please R&R! Ja ne!