InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Every Heart ❯ Chapter 18

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Author’s Note: I just wanted to take a minute and thank you for visiting my story. We’re entering the final arc of this epic, and hopefully you will stay on the wagon for the rest of the ride. I can’t thank you guys enough for your support! You have no idea how much I appreciate your feedback.

Want to see the ultimate author’s notes for this story? Visit me at LJ! Explanations, clarifications, spoilers available!

Disclaimer: The
Inuyasha concept, story, and characters are copyright Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media.

The characters Ryûtatsu, Ded Moroz, and Snegura are original to this story.

The title “House of the Moon” is original to Resmiranda’s
Tales from the House of the Moon. It is used here in homage to said fantastic story.

This is merely one girl’s dream of life after “The End.”


“I’ve brought the correspondence you requested, my lord.”

Sesshoumaru lifted his eyes over the stack of paperwork in front of him, launching a cutting glare to Jaken. The little imp began to sweat under the close surveillance of his master, but Sesshoumaru felt no need to reassure him.

“I’ll just leave it here,” Jaken finally choked out, laying the papers on top of the stack with delicate grace. “I don’t wish to disturb you, my lord.” He felt the urge to bow before leaving, which Sesshoumaru only acknowledged with a grunt.

He was certain these letters contained nothing he wanted to see, but everything he was obligated to take into consideration. After all, a youkai of his status contemplating a marital union was no personal matter: everyone had a say in the decision. Just to be thorough, his closest advisors had insisted on gathering opinions from all regional leaders under his command. There was no need in this causing an uprising, after all. His hold over the general populous of inuyoukai was tenuous at times, and he wanted to give no reason for rebellion.

As he reviewed the papers, he sighed. It was unanimous. Everyone seemed to agree that this proposed alliance with Snegura of the Siberian lands would be strong and advantageous. Indeed; the longer he considered it, the more he could see the logic of the matter. Only his pride was rankled that it was his mother’s suggestion.

The very fact that his mother was right still set his teeth on edge, but he knew how to choose his battles. This was not a war worth waging.

He closed his eyes for a moment before shoving the stacks of communication aside and opting for a fresh piece of vellum. There’s no turning back from this point, he reminded himself. Do you really wish to tether yourself for eternity to someone you’ve never met before?

He paused, the tip of his quill millimeters from the surface of the paper.

I can always kill her if I find her that distasteful, he decided.

~*~

Sesshoumaru was enjoying a rare stroll about the courtyard of his home some two weeks later, when his quiet time was suddenly interrupted by an eruption of feet clambering towards him. He watched impassively as Jaken fluttered about in the front of the crowd, which included several castle guards.

“There is no need for you to continue ‘protecting’ me, you brutes!” Jaken wailed as he tried to keep ahead of the group. He was clutching a small piece of paper close to his chest as he bustled about, so intent on watching the guards that he bumped blindly into Sesshoumaru. The others had the good fortune to stop a few yards away and bow, even as Jaken bumbled forward.

“My lord,” he stuttered as he fell back, as if repelled out of Sesshoumaru’s personal space. “You have received a response from your marriage petition.”

Sesshoumaru lifted an eyebrow as he looked down at his sniveling retainer. “Already?”

“Yes, my lord! And it was delivered here by your mother’s personal sentinel!” Jaken held out the small tube of paper, sealed with a ribbon, as if it was the greatest treasure in the world. He waved his arms behind him, his expression turning indignant. “Thus the need for the castle guard to accompany me, I suppose.”

Sesshoumaru ignored Jaken’s musings as he unwrapped the single sheet and read it. Satisfied, he rolled it up once again and looked up. “You are dismissed,” he announced.

The command lifted the bowed heads of his guards; after one glance at their master, they beat a hasty retreat back to their posts. Jaken watched them leave with characteristic smugness, thrusting his chin higher in the air. He prided himself on showing his master’s emotions for him, even when it wasn’t necessary.

“You too, Jaken,” Sesshoumaru said as he turned from the little imp and made his way back inside the House of the Moon.

“But my lord, what does it say?” Jaken pleaded, running after Sesshoumaru. The door was promptly shut in his face, leaving his question forever unanswered.

Sesshoumaru stalked down the hall to his office, slamming the door with a satisfying force. He paced across the room to look out the window, contemplating the latest flurry as it drifted past. There was a thick, unbroken blanket of snow clear across the grounds to the horizon, where he noticed the ocean beginning to swell. Ominous clouds were forming over the sea, bringing warning of a great storm.

Clearly, she is as upset at this prospect as I am.

“Lord Sesshoumaru!” A small voice was suddenly in his right ear; he cut his eyes down to look upon his shoulder.

A tiny body was jumping up and down, waving four arms in the air.

“Myoga,” he acknowledged, turning his attention to the weather once more. He would have to make sure the castle grounds were well secured; the approaching blizzard looked like a real doozy.

“Have you received word from Ded Moroz?” Myoga asked, settling himself at the tip of Sesshoumaru’s nose.

There was a knock on the door. “My lord? The skies appear foreboding.”

Sesshoumaru covered the length of the room in three strides. He opened the door and nodded to the guard. “Make sure everyone is inside the castle gates,” he commanded. “Reinforce the walls as before. It appears the sea will be knocking at our doors this time.”

The guard nodded, bowed, and was gone within the space of a breath. Sesshoumaru closed the door and settled himself behind his desk. He unfolded the paper and read its contents once more, somehow hoping the message had changed.

Myoga hopped down onto his hand for a closer look. “So!” he crowed, looking back at his master. “She will only agree to marry you if you go and fetch her? She is a brave one.”

“Or an idiot,” Sesshoumaru replied. “She thinks I am willing to shelve my business here and run to her side?”

Myoga hopped back up onto Sesshoumaru’s nose, oblivious to how close he was to receiving a smack. “It is an unusual request, I grant you,” he said. “But this is an unusual situation. You have not met with her grandfather and formally made your suit.”

“And what is wrong with following protocol? He should accompany her here to finalize the alliance. He is her guardian, after all,” Sesshoumaru sniffed.

“Perhaps there is some extenuating circumstance,” Myoga suggested.

Sesshoumaru gazed at the correspondence with a critical eye. “There is no mention of her grandfather,” he finally surmised. “Indeed, it appears this letter is in her hand.”

Myoga nodded. “It seems by the tone that she is unguarded. It would be difficult for her to travel here unprotected, given the many others that seek her hand.”

Sesshoumaru put the letter on his desk, lifting his eyes to study the ceiling. “I would be willing to send an armed guard to accompany her,” he relented. “I do not see how my presence is necessary for this journey.”

There was another knock at the door. “Lord Sesshoumaru!”

Myoga’s gaze moved from the door back to his master’s face as he closely studied the reaction that flitted across his face. “You do not wish to leave the girl?” he asked quietly.

That did earn him the smack; Sesshoumaru lifted his hand away and deposited the flattened Myoga onto his desk.

Another knock sounded, the voice pleading this time. “Lord Sesshoumaru?”

“Enter,” he called, raising his gaze away from Myoga.

The door opened and Rin rushed inside, Shippo clinging to her shoulder. She skidded to a stop next to his desk, her eyes wide with fright. “The blizzard is awful,” she cried, casting her eyes towards his window.

He followed her line of vision to see the sky had darkened gloomily. The wind was audible as it brushed past the panes, carrying errant flakes of snow. There was a flash of lightning, followed closely by the roar of thunder. The sea churned menacingly, waves climbing higher and higher against the cliff wall.

His mouth quirked into a grim smile. She thinks it’s all my fault, he thought. She wishes for me to feel her wrath.

Slender fingers grasped the sleeve of his kimono. “Lord Sesshoumaru, I’m scared,” Rin whispered, bringing his attention back to the matter at hand.

He was unsure of how to respond to her statement, so he merely looked at her, his face impassive. In truth, he could feel her fear; it was radiating from her in copious waves. Her grip on his sleeve was growing clammy as she squeezed her eyes shut, trying to stop herself from trembling. The fox kit was also shaking, each burst of thunder bringing a small squeal from him.

A particularly massive display of thunder and lightning blinded the foursome before sending Shippo fleeing for the cover of the desk. Rin cried out and crawled into Sesshoumaru’s lap, wrapping her arms around his neck and pressing herself close, sobbing into his neck, blasting every sign of absolute terror at him. Her tears trickled down onto his shoulder, pooling with slight warmth on the crest of his family’s coat of arms.

Myoga peered out from under a sheath of paperwork, observing his master with great interest. Sesshoumaru was sitting in his chair, his back as straight as a board, his arms resting at his sides. He appeared to be carved out of stone, for all that Myoga could divine his thoughts or emotions.

Of course, appearances can be deceiving.

To Sesshoumaru, Rin’s panic was palpable. He was living a little nightmare of his own as he contemplated leaving her, in such a delicate state, at the mercy of his vassals and guards while he journeyed to fetch his bride. Sometimes he took her for granted; because she was so cheerful and buoyant, it was easy to forget she was human, and therefore quite frail.

In his absence, she would be an easy mark for those with rebellious intentions.

The storm continued to rage overhead, sending impressive spikes of lightning streaking across his window, followed closely by thunder that rattled the building down to its foundation. Snow was blowing horizontally by sheer force of the wind. Rin continued to whimper, tightening her grip on him even as she curled into a ball on his lap.

Myoga’s heart nearly stopped as he witnessed the statue that was his master move. Slowly, carefully, Sesshoumaru’s arms came around his little human ward in a light embrace, though the expression on his face never changed.

“I will always protect you,” Sesshoumaru vowed quietly.

Rin looked at him through a slight film of tears, her heart bursting with fear and love. This was the expression so clearly mapped in her memory from their travels. His face was a mask of stoic grace and calm, the only hint of emotion in the soft lines of his eyes. He was her hero, and she worshipped him unconditionally.

Wrapped so securely in his arms, his entire being exuding tranquility in the face of this fearsome storm, she felt herself calm as well. “Thank you, Lord Sesshoumaru,” she said softly, rising in his lap to press a kiss to his cheek.

I never want to leave you, she added silently as she curled close to him once again.

~*~

Two days later, the weather was still quite brutal. Sesshoumaru grew weary of waiting for his intended bride’s anger to pass and decided to set off on this journey. After all, he figured, the sooner he went, the sooner he could return, and resume some semblance of normal life.

“My lord, are you certain about this?” Jaken peered up at his master as he held out the long, fur-lined robe Sesshoumaru had requested.

“Do not question me, Jaken,” Sesshoumaru replied, shrugging into the cloak and securing it around his armor. “You are to stay here and help protect the House of the Moon in my stead.”

Jaken couldn’t help but turn up his nose at the idea. “You mean protect that worthless human girl,” he muttered, turning away to hide his sneer of disgust. Such a task was beneath him!

Sesshoumaru granted him a cutting glare, happy to see his retainer had the good grace to cringe. “I have sent Myoga to find Inuyasha and bring him here as well,” he informed the imp. “This will be a test not only of your strength, but of that half-breed’s sense of honor.”

Jaken sniffed at the thought. “You believe he’ll show up in your absence and not try to usurp your throne?”

“I am no fool,” Sesshoumaru replied, crossing the room and opening the door. “I have also sent word to Koga, to inform him his presence here in necessary. He knows of this journey, and should be here momentarily.”

He really is leaving me in charge, Jaken thought with increasing anxiety as he following his master down the hall. A hanyou and a worthless wolf prince is all that stands between me and complete ruination of this hard-fought empire!

Sesshoumaru squared his shoulders as he approached the entrance of his home. He looked at the doors for a moment, feeling the crowd of the household gather behind him. He’d fought so hard to win and preserve this place that it hardly felt fair to leave them so soon. Truly, he had hoped to spend the winter here before journeying off in search of ways to expand his holdings.

“Lord Sesshoumaru, wait!” a voice cried out.

His hands were on the latches of the door as the protest sliced through the air. He could hear the rest of them whispering and shuffling about as the owner of the voice pressed through the crowd.

“Please, don’t leave me behind, my lord,” Rin said, coming forward to grasp his arm, a pleading note in her voice. “Let me go with you!”

Jaken stepped forward as the murmurs of the crowd grew. “Now why would he want you along as he goes to meet his bride? Step aside, Rin!”

Rin’s eyes widened. “Bride?” she mumbled, falling away from him with surprise.

Sesshoumaru ignored her distress, opening the doors at the front of his home. He was greeted by the smug wolf prince, Koga, who was accompanied by his faithful companions Ginta and Hakkaku.

“Lord Sesshoumaru,” Koga said, bowing slightly. “Leaving in the middle of a mess?”

Sesshoumaru nodded his head in acknowledgement and pushed past the wolf youkai leader. “You have your orders,” he said as they crossed paths. “I will return soon.” He looked back at them after descending the steps. “I expect to find this castle in the same condition I leave it.”

Koga smirked. “Don’t count on that if you’ve asked Inuyasha to come here.” He rubbed his hands together with glee. “I wouldn’t mind seeing my woman again, though. It’s been too long.”

Sesshoumaru returned the sarcastic grin. “It may be longer yet,” he said as he turned away. “That girl seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth.”

He missed Koga’s shocked expression, but keenly heard Rin’s cry of displeasure before ascending into the sky, transforming into a gust of light and travelling westward.

~*~

Sesshoumaru travelled resolutely in the face of the fierce weather. It seemed to peak as he reached the Siberian coast, the storms causing massive waves to crash against the land. Snow fell relentlessly, covering everything in a suffocating, frozen blanket. As he moved further north, sheets of sleet and ice fell, pounding mountainsides, forests, even the human settlements with ruthless force. The land lay in a permanent state of ruination; the screams of agony from the scattered human villages rang in his ears as he passed by. It was a thoroughly depressing sight to behold.

Much to his surprise, as he closed in on Snegura’s holdings, the gales and blizzards lessened. She lived beyond the line of the Arctic Circle, near the northernmost point of the planet. As he landed, the air was completely peaceful, save a soft breeze.

He began the slow journey across the tightly-packed snow towards the castle, which sat out in the open, relatively unprotected save for the glacier at its back door. His steps were methodical; he expected a trap to be sprung at any moment. One hand rested lightly on his swords, while the other held the fur of his cloak tight across the bottom of his face.

“He has arrived, my lady.”

Snegura gazed at the servant who bowed before her. “Let me see,” she said, rising to follow the maid to the window of the far tower. She watched as the lone man made his way towards her home, her heart rising steadily in her throat as he approached the castle.

“Are you sure you wish to do this?” the maid asked.

Snegura nodded resolutely, absently fingering the material in her hands. “Yes,” she replied. “My fate is tied to this man, and our very lives depend upon him.” I only hope he is half as strong as his mother says, she added silently.

Together, she and the maid descended from the high tower, ready to meet the stranger face first at the entrance of the castle.

Sesshoumaru shifted his eyes warily and allowed some force of his youki to search out any lingering traps. He was uneasy when he encountered nothing. Did I enter a barrier? he wondered, his gaze focusing on the opening doors of the castle.

Silently he assessed the woman that stood before him. She was dressed in a similar fashion as he, with a dark mantle across her shoulders that opened to reveal a pale blue dress belted at the waist. Black boots peaked out from under the hem, and he spied a concealed dagger strapped to her right hip. Her head was bare, the light blond hair pulled back in a thick plait currently occupying her right shoulder. Her face was pleasing enough, the most dominant features being her fierce blue eyes.

Her youki was strong and showed no fear, to be the only thing standing between him and her home. He had to admit, he was impressed that she did not cower before him, or indeed show any sort of childish emotion. Considering the storms she’d been sending his way for the last week, that was no small feat.

Snegura eyed him with scrutiny as well. She took note of his silver hair, long strands escaping to partially obscure his face. His golden eyes seemed to penetrate straight through her, though partially hooded. Her breath caught as she took note of the crescent moon on his forehead, the magenta marks across his cheeks and eyes. There was something ethereal but intimidating in his presence, cloaked though he was in fur, with no visible weapons.

“Lord Sesshoumaru,” she called to him, dipping into a curtsy even as she stood at the top of the stairs. “Welcome to my home.”

~*~

The trio walked in silence down the hall of the modest dwelling, the maid leading the way before her mistress. Sesshoumaru eyed his surroundings with slight distaste, wondering just how exactly she was of the same class as he, if her home was anything to show for it.

The maid showed them to a small parlor, where the betrothed pair settled themselves before a crackling fire. Sesshoumaru divested himself of his cloak, carefully watching Snegura’s reaction as his full battle ensemble was revealed. That’s right, I’m taking this quite seriously, he thought as her eyes widened.

“You take me for a fool?” he asked her bluntly as her eyes slid down the length of him, taking in his armor as well as the pair of swords at his hip.

“To the contrary,” she replied, lifting her eyes to his face and meeting his gaze. “I’m glad to see you travel well-prepared. We never know when we shall meet an enemy.” She unpinned her mantle and handed it to the maid, who quickly scurried out of the room.

Sesshoumaru’s eyes flickered down to her weapon, and he gauged the tension in the hand at her side. After a moment’s contemplation, he stepped back and drew his sword. He held Tenseiga blade-out in front of his chest. “Draw your weapon, warrior princess.”

Snegura merely stared back at him, wry amusement fleeting across her face. “Do you wish to examine my teeth and my feet as well, my lord?” she asked him sarcastically.

Sesshoumaru was not amused. “I only wish to know if I face an enemy at this moment.” He extended the sword out in front of him, the tip resting mere inches from her face.

Snegura held her ground. “Only if you have joined forces with Ryûtatsu of late.” She noted his surprise with a degree of satisfaction. “Of course, I would hope that one of your strength and intelligence would not fall so low.”

Sesshoumaru’s glare shot down the length of Tenseiga as he sized her up. She appeared as cold and unfeeling as he expected from a snow youkai, but still she did not show fear. Perhaps she could, in time, rise to the position of his equal.

Snegura smirked as his replaced the blade at his side. “No doubt you are wondering why I summoned you here,” she said, moving away from the fire and settling in a chair.

Sesshoumaru followed her movements, though he himself stayed upright. “Surely I was not your first choice of partner.”

Snegura’s expression softened into a genuine smile. “No, my lord, as I suspect I wasn’t yours.” The smile disappeared almost as soon as it had appeared. “Let us be frank, Lord Sesshoumaru.”

He nodded, motioning for her to continue.

“For me, you were the lesser of two evils,” she admitted. “The other suitor vying most desperately for my hand was none other than the reprehensible Ryûtatsu.”

“And yet you chose me,” Sesshoumaru mused. “I’m flattered.”

Snegura brought her gaze to his once again. “Ryûtatsu merely sought me as a means to an end. He wanted my land, my powers, to take control of the natural elements this far north. I’d be but one force in his stable of power, needed only for my material possessions.”

“You believe I don’t desire those things?”

She shook her head. “You may find strategic use for my powers, and you may wish to occupy my lands, but you also need an heir for your empire. I find such a prospect less degrading than the alternative.”

It was Sesshoumaru’s turn to smirk. “Only if you presume I have to like you to get you with child.”

He sensed no spike in anxiety from her youki, another point in her favor.

“Our contract has not been finalized yet,” she noted in response.

“Indeed. Where is your guardian? I do wish to have this tedious business completed.”

Sesshoumaru was surprised to see Snegura’s expression turn troubled. Did I give her credit for holding herself together too soon?

“My grandfather was recently murdered,” she said, resolve strong in her tone. “I believe it is the work of Ryûtatsu.”

“Why would he want your grandfather dead?” Sesshoumaru questioned.

Fire leapt into her eyes as she looked at him again. “I banished him from the coast after your battle,” she said savagely. “He came here seeking refuge to recover, and I sent him back to his homeland. Recently, he has made attempts to pass through my lands again. This was after I found Ded Moroz slaughtered near the border with the dragon’s holdings.” Her eyes bored into his, her anger making a strong impression on Sesshoumaru’s mind. “Hence the weather of late.”

Sesshoumaru returned her glares with equal force, showing no sympathy or mercy. “I did not sense Ryûtatsu’s presence on my journey here,” he stated.

She looked away from him, gathering her wits about her once more. “No doubt he is somewhere between here and Outer Mongolia, the lands of his original holding. Without the sea, he is unable to heal himself properly.” She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. “I will continue to use my powers to keep him at bay, but I fear that will not be enough to defeat him.”

Sesshoumaru’s hand found the hilt of Bakusaiga as she spoke. “It won’t be.”

“My request for you to come here was twofold. Not only did I wish to judge the caliber of your character, but to issue a challenge as well: defeat Ryûtatsu, and in return, I will agree to any and all terms of the alliance you set forth between us.”

Sesshoumaru was taken aback by this proposal. The last thing he expected from her was a complete and utter surrender to the terms of their union. Battling Ryûtatsu was his destiny, if their clash over the House of the Moon was any indication. Surely she wished to fulfill her destiny as a taiyoukai as well, not merely settle for being his wife.

“Why would you wish to cede so much to me?” he asked, genuinely confused by her motives.

“I only wish to protect what is mine,” she replied, standing to face him once again. “By coming here today, you have already proven your honor. I know you need something from me, and that is all the reassurance of my safety that I require to enter into a union with you.”