InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Every Heart ❯ Chapter 19

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Want to see the ultimate author’s notes for this story? Visit me at LJ! Explanations, clarifications, spoilers available!

Disclaimer: The
Inuyasha concept, story, and characters are copyright Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media.

The characters Sensei Hitoma and Takao Nishikori are original to this story.

This is merely one girl’s dream of life after “The End.”



Thwack!

Kagome grinned as she rose out of the zanshin position, letting her arms fall loosely at her sides. She could hardly contain her excitement as she looked across the distance, where her arrow had landed with perfect precision in the middle of the target.

Everything is falling into place, she thought as she headed out to collect her arrows. She’d been practicing steadily for the last fortnight, first with her recurve bow, and now with her longbow. Her entire existence had narrowed into focus; she’d become almost obsessive with her training. The last goal she set for herself was incorporation of the principles of kyûdô into her shots, and it seemed she had finally attained it.

I’m ready.

She straightened as the thought came to her mind. She wasn’t shocked, or surprised, or nervous about the idea of returning to the world beyond the well. She’d put in almost four months of work, and her confidence had soared enormously over these last few weeks. After being so overwhelmed and frustrated by her lack of control over the jewel, it was almost a relief to watch her prowess grow.

“I’m ready,” she said out loud, clutching her arrows in her hands. Somehow, voicing the decision made it seem real to her. There was no going back now; her path of destiny led straight back to the past.

All that was left was tying up the loose ends of her life in this era.

She cast a glance towards the Sacred Tree, another smile burgeoning on her lips. “I’m almost there, Inuyasha,” she whispered.

~*~

Sensei Hitoma looked down at Kagome with concerned eyes. “Are you sure about this, young lady?”

Kagome bowed respectfully. “Yes, Sensei,” she assured him. “I must turn down the spot at the Olympic trials.”

Sensei Hitoma reciprocated her motions. “That is most unfortunate to hear,” he sighed. “You have such immense talent.”

Kagome gave him a small smile. “And it will not be wasted,” she promised him. “After all, I come from a long line of priests and shrine families.”

Sensei Hitoma shrugged and gave her a light pat on the shoulder. “Best of luck to you, then,” he said, turning to walk down the hall to his office.

Kagome heaved a sigh of relief. Turning down such an opportunity had been one of the hardest things to face, and she had been dreading this conversation all morning. Getting it off her chest was like having a weight removed; excitement filled the place dread had just occupied as she reminded herself she was one step closer…

“Kagome!”

She was broken from her reverie by the sharp tone of the voice that called her name. She looked around, wondering for a moment if the sensei had changed his mind, if he was going to force her into the trials.

A hand touched her shoulder. “Kagome! I’m glad I caught you!” Takao Nishikori smiled as he caught his breath from sprinting in the cold.

Excitement fled as soon as it arrived. “Takao,” Kagome choked out, unconsciously pulling away from his gentle touch.

He didn’t seem to notice. “I just wanted to make sure you’re okay,” he said. “Ayumi told me that you had lots of sicknesses in high school, and I haven’t seen you for awhile. I was beginning to worry.”

Kagome gave him a weak smile. “Yes, I’m fine,” she replied. “I’m planning a trip, actually, so I’ve been really busy.”

Takao’s whole face lit up at the prospect. “A trip?” he chirped. “Where are you going?”

Kagome was momentarily struck speechless. A patch of silence spread out before them, and Takao looked at her expectantly. “Er…I’m going to visit my boyfriend,” she finally responded. Nice save, she congratulated herself.

“Oh.” Takao looked crestfallen as he turned away from her. She thought he was going to leave, but instead he whirled back around. “Ayumi told me about him, and his jealousy,” he said, his voice somber. “If he ever gives you any trouble…please, don’t hesitate to come to me for help.”

And you’ll do what, exactly? she thought. Trying to picture him, gorgeous as he was, in a knockdown drag-out fight with Inuyasha made her want to laugh. Only the earnestness of his expression kept that in check.

“I’ll keep that in mind,” she promised him. She was about to leave when another person joined the conversation.

“Kagome! Are you okay?” Ayumi gathered Kagome into a hug before stepping back and lacing an arm under Takao’s elbow.

“I’m fine,” she assured her friend, glancing from one to the other. Takao’s expression immediately lifted, but she could sense a bit of lingering disappointment. “I’ve just been busy lately.”

“That’s good to hear,” Ayumi said. She looked up at Takao. “Would you like to join us for lunch?” she asked, her voice dreamy.

Kagome chuckled. “No, that’s okay,” she replied. “I should head home.”

Ayumi smiled at Takao, who mentioned they should also take their leave. She agreed, but ran over to her friend one last time. “Thanks for the introduction, Kagome,” she said breathlessly, her smile bigger than Kagome had ever seen it.

“You’re welcome,” Kagome returned. “Have fun!” She smiled as Ayumi ran off to meet him again. He’s a sweet guy, she thought. They make a good pair. For once, she didn’t feel jealous as she watched them walk off hand-in-hand. The knowledge of her plans drew the excitement back to her belly.

She couldn’t wait to see “her boyfriend” again.

~*~

Kagome awoke the next morning feeling completely at peace. She lay in her bed for a few moments, contemplating the ceiling. Today was the day, she’d decided. All that was left was packing her bag.

Well, not all. She was going to take a very long, very hot bath; it’d be awhile before she saw that particular comfort again. She sat up and swiveled her legs over the side of the bed, stretching out her arms. Her muscles were tight and still a bit sore from all the training, but such pains didn’t make her feel weak anymore.

She’d never felt stronger in her life.

She gathered her bath items and headed down the hall. She filled the tub and settled in, determined to enjoy every last molecule of hot water. She closed her eyes and lay back, recalling happy memories of time spent in the company of her friends. She couldn’t wait to see everyone again, find out what they’d been doing since she left. Had Sango found her brother? What was Shippo up to? Did Sesshoumaru ever return for Rin, or was Inuyasha stuck caring for her?

She smiled at the idea. No doubt he’d complain about it to anyone who would listen, but she knew he’d do a good job, if there was no other alternative. He liked to think he was independent, but she knew he enjoyed having companions. The change within him had been remarkable over the last few years, and she was more than happy to have been a part of it. I love him so much, she thought.

All too soon, the water turned tepid. Kagome sighed as she hoisted herself up, wrapping in a long towel and scooping her toiletries up to dry. As she paced back to her room, the now-familiar spike of excitement bloomed in her stomach. All thoughts of the last few weeks exited her mind as she concentrated on packing her bag. She threw in everything, from shampoo to socks to triple-strength anti-itch ointment. She packed fresh clothes, wondering if she’d ever find the desire to wear tank tops and skirts again. Ever since she started archery training full-time, she’d been living in warm-ups and t-shirts.

Satisfied with her personal affects, she began sorting her archery gear. Her yumi glove was tucked inside the pack, along with extra bowstring and arm guards. She secured fresh quivers of carbon/alloy arrows to one of the straps. She lay out her black longbow and navy recurve bow on the bed. The yumi was too large to take, hence the extra kyûdô practice with the longbow.

Finally, she turned her attention to her closet. Even if she didn’t want to traipse around the feudal era in an evening gown, she did want to look nice for her reunion with Inuyasha. She eyed her wardrobe. For a moment, she was tempted to slip into her old high school uniform. After all, it was one of the two outfits she owned that had seen the horrors of the battlefield.

She shook her head. That part of her life was over; she was an adult now. She was supposed to be practical.

After much deliberation, she settled on a pair of jeans with a simple shirt. Because she’d be carrying so much on her shoulders, the extra padding of a hoodie also appeared necessary. She brushed out her hair, tossing the brush and a few hair bands into her bag, and then prepared for travel.

Her entrance into the kitchen did not go unnoticed. Sota’s jaw dropped, and Mama accidentally dropped her spatula into the omelet she was making. Only Grandpa seemed unsurprised to see her, looking as though she was about to go hiking in the Himalayas.

“Kagome?” her mother said, reaching to turn off the stove.

“You’re really going?” Sota exclaimed at the same time.

She nodded, looking at all three with the same serious but determined expression. “I’m ready,” she said. “I’ve trained long and hard for this day, and now it’s time to finish what I started, three years ago.”

The sound of chairs scraping across the floor echoed through the small kitchen as the Higurashi family embraced one last time. “Come back to us in one piece,” her mother said, sparing a light kiss on the cheek.

“I’ll do my best,” Kagome replied. She gave each of them a long squeeze before stepping out the door and lacing up her shoes. She shouldered her bag, and her bows, and cast a glance at the Sacred Tree as she moved towards the well house.

“I’m almost there, Inuyasha,” she vowed. “Please…wait for me.”

~*~

Inuyasha was beginning to question his sanity. He didn’t know what compelled him to go into the forest this day; it certainly wasn’t pleasant weather. Winter was dragging on, leaving the days cold and gray, the trees barren and bleak. And yet…and yet he still felt the pull, back to the well, to look for her once again.

It had been four long, dreary months since she’d left him, and almost daily he’d been back to check the well for any signs of her return. He was always at least mildly disappointed by these trips, but he never gave up hope that she’d return to him.

Inuyasha felt in a state of flux, of late. After the departure of Rin and Shippo, he didn’t feel so comfortable staying in the human village. Kaede told him he’d always have a warm bed to come home to in her hut, but he wanted some space to himself. It didn’t help that the villagers suddenly wanted his protection again. He found grim irony in their actions, after the way they treated Kagome.

He tended to spend most of his nights in the Sacred Tree, settled on his usual branch, staring up at the moon. He contemplated his place in the world, the direction his life desperately needed. He’d always taken it for granted, never really thinking about what would happen after they defeated Naraku. He definitely never imagined he’d have to think about life without Kagome.

He’d grown certain of a few things during this separation. He knew his place in the world was with her. He knew he loved her fiercely. If she ever found her way back, he knew he’d do anything to keep her, even if it meant losing his soul in the process.

So, on this day, he strolled towards the well, rather against his will. He didn’t want to look into its dark depths and see nothing again. He stopped a few feet away, closing his eyes and steeling his spine, trying to muster a bit of hope.

What was that?

His eyes shot open and he took a deeper breath. His heart stopped, then began to beat wildly.

No, it can’t be.

He stood stock still as a bright yellow backpack cleared the well, landing heavily at his feet. He couldn’t quite believe his eyes when he saw hands appear at the ledge, even though his nose told his brain it was true. Kagome’s scent surrounded him like a warm, familiar blanket.

Time seemed to stand still as the rest of her body appeared; she pulled herself up with relative ease to sit on the edge. She was dressed simply, with two bows strapped to her back and her hair flowing freely around her. In the darkening of the day, she was absolutely beautiful.

She lifted her eyes to his face, but still he found he couldn’t move. “Inuyasha,” she whispered, her voice thick with emotion. She stepped over her backpack and threw her arms around him, her hands meeting in the middle of his shoulder blades and grabbing fistfuls of his haori.

He was in heaven.

Her sweet scent enveloped him, and he breathed it in like a dying man. Her hair brushed his cheek, soft and fragrant. He felt the entirety of her body, trembling from the force of her embrace, pressed against him. It was all intoxicating, overwhelming his senses, his brain, his heart.

Then she did something that made him come unglued. She raised her head away from his chest and pressed her lips to his neck.

His reaction was not exactly what she was expecting. She felt his body completely stiffen in her arms. She pulled away slightly. “Inuyasha?” she questioned, glancing up into his face.

His eyes were tightly shut, his teeth clenched. She became aware of a soft growling deep in his chest. It seemed like he was battling within himself, and she wasn’t sure if she should be insulted, concerned, or both.

Finally, his eyes cracked open, and she gasped with she noticed the streaks of red on his retinas. Her hands slipped down his sides, her grip finding the hilt of Tessiaga. Her heart redoubled as she realized it was still firmly strapped to his hip. Why was he transforming?

“Inuyasha?” she tried again, a hint of fear lacing her voice.

Inuyasha fought the growing tide of his youki, clawing at it with his humanity. He had no idea this depth of emotion he harbored for her would make him completely lose it upon being reunited. His demonic side demanded to be heard, surging beyond his restraint. It soared with newfound power, as if coming alive after a very long hibernation. Mine!

No!
The last thing he wanted to do was scare her. He could see the confusion in her face, could hear the anxiety in her voice. Control yourself!

“Kagome,” he choked out, his hands clamping onto her upper arms. He brought her forward, capturing her lips with his own. The resistance melted from her form and once again her arms came around him.

The youkai within surged once more at her submission, releasing the dark desire that was hallmark to his bonding scent. It flooded over his body as their kisses deepened. Only when their scents began to mingle did he pull away from her completely.

Oh, God, he wanted to mate with her so badly. The bonding scent was overwhelming him, not only by its sheer amount, but also because he’d never released it before. He was completely stunned, especially as he regained his right mind as he parted from her.

Kagome let her bows clatter to the ground. She was breathing heavily, her skin feeling hot and clammy and restrictive, her knees the consistency of jell-o. She reached for him again, certain she’d melt unless he held her together.

“Kagome,” he said again, kissing her desperately. Relief washed over her as she recognized his normal tone of voice. She tried to push away the niggling worry that something wasn’t right. It wasn’t terribly difficult, especially when his tongue found its way into her mouth.

She breathed in short gasps as he turned his attention – and lips – elsewhere; namely, the lines of her jaw and throat. She held onto his shoulders as trills of pleasure rocketed through her body. It felt so right, being here in his arms. Any regrets she might have had vanished, and she found there was nowhere else she wanted to be. Blood rushed to her head, and she felt tears pooling behind her eyes.

Inuyasha became aware of the faint aroma of her tears under the heady cloud of his bonding scent. He had regained his right mind, but he couldn’t stop his desire, and had decided to take it in stride. Tears instantly worried him, however, and he wondered for a small moment if his instinct was wrong.

“Don’t cry,” he murmured, wiping away her silent tears with the pads of his thumbs. He kissed the corners of her eyes lightly and felt her strengthen her embrace in response.

“Oh, Inuyasha,” she sobbed, her voice hitching in her throat. “I’m so happy.”

“Eh?” The statement startled him, and he pulled away to look down into her face. She was indeed smiling as the tears glistened on her cheeks. He could see something beyond that in her expression, though: determination…exhaustion…perhaps relief?

She took the initiative then, surging up to meet him again, kissing him with unexpected ferocity. She felt the rumble deep in his chest and smiled against his mouth, pressing her body ever closer to his. She was disappointed, then surprised, when she felt his hands fumbling between them. She pulled away and glanced down, her eyes widening as she watched him loose the strings of his haori.

Oh, God, she thought, fighting to clear the haze from her brain as her mind raced with new possibilities. Here she was, barely able to stand of her own volition, still crying, not yet able to admit just how aroused she was, and he was undressing? And wait, hadn’t he just transformed – or almost transformed – into a full youkai?

The long red garment whipped away from his body and seemed to take flight, floating softly to the ground beside her. Her heart redoubled as she watched him reach for her, carefully unzipping her hoodie and peeling it from her shoulders.

“Inuyasha, I –” she protested, only to be cut off by another searing kiss. He cupped her cheek softly before letting his hand slide down to her shoulder, twining through her hair. She felt herself yielding to him, her resistance chipping away.

Maybe we’re ready for this, she thought to herself. Not exactly how I pictured it, but I guess I can’t complain.

“Take this off,” Inuyasha said, tugging at the collar of her shirt.

The request was so blunt that she couldn’t stifle a nervous giggle. “Don’t you think we should talk first?” she asked, still a bit breathless.

“What’s there to discuss?” he replied, leaving a line of kisses across her cheek. “I want you as my own.”

Obviously, she thought, another spasm of pleasure shooting down her spine as he nibbled at her ear.

“You have to wear it against your skin,” he whispered.

That pulled her to a stop. “What?”

“It’s the best way to imprint the scent,” he continued, rather oblivious to her confusion. When she didn’t respond to that, he pulled away and looked at her.

The earnestness of his expression gave her some degree of relief that she wasn’t about to lose her virginity against the side of the well. “What are you talking about?” she asked him.

He picked up his haori. “In our culture, the way we claim a mate is to give them something soaked in our bonding scent. The best way to imprint the male’s scent on the female is to have her wear the item against her bare skin, at least for the first few days.” He sighed, fidgeting with the material. “I know it’s not much, but it’s all I have. If I was Sesshoumaru, I’d be giving you a piece of my mokomoko.”

Kagome felt like she was reeling in shock. Bonding scent? Taking a mate? This was not what she was expecting at all. Not that she was opposed to the idea, considering how much time she’d spent yearning for him and this sort of moment. But right now…she could only stare at him in disbelief.

“I guess you’re right, we should’ve talked about it first,” Inuyasha was saying, disappointment coming to bear in his tone. “I just thought – the way you reacted – ”

She tugged gently on his forelocks, capturing his attention and cutting him off mid-sentence. “I accept,” she said, reaching for the haori.

He held it slightly out of her reach. “Will you do it right?” he asked, a hint of teasing in his voice.

Kagome looked into his eyes for a full minute before stepping back and pulling her shirt over her head. She shivered in the cool air for half a second before Inuyasha settled the haori around her shoulders. She pushed her arms through the sleeves, pulled it closed over her bra, and belted it across her waist.

He embraced her again. “You’re mine,” he said, his tone a mix of joy and wonder. “Kagome.” The combination of their scents wafted before him, bringing him such happiness he’d never experienced before. She accepted him for what he was, unconditionally. Glad I’m not human tonight, he thought, as he felt fresh tears on his shoulder.

She reached up and tweaked his ears. “And you’re mine,” she replied, bringing her mouth to meet his.