InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Expect the Unexpected ❯ True Face Revealed ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Three. If I’ve managed to keep your attention so far, it should get better from here on. More action, but unfortunately less naked Kagome. Then again, since most readers are girls…Perhaps I should write more naked Inu-Yasha?   Chapter Three: True Face Revealed  

Anticipation. It was such a damned inconsiderate sensation. Inu-Yasha hated waiting. He wanted to shred the boy now. Finally something worth doing in this time came along, and he had to wait. He had had to wait all day, and it was approaching evening. Waiting…feh! Waiting was for weaklings. He should just hunt the boy down and tear him to little bits. No, he couldn’t do that. He had to prove to Kagome that the accursed boy was truly one of Naraku’s. He would have to wait. Grrrrrr.

Inu-Yasha was not satisfied to wait about in the go-shinboku for Kagome’s ‘date’. He needed some entertainment. Maybe he should go and bug Kagome? That would pass the night much more quickly, but she was still mad at him. It might not be worth it. Wavering between the evils of boredom and Kagome’s fury, the hanyou finally decided to see what she was doing. If she did not appear too busy, or naked, then he might risk her anger. He slipped from the limbs of the sacred tree and swiftly made his way to her window. * * *

Kagome knew that the hanyou was still lurking about, but had chosen to ignore his presence. Perhaps if she ignored him altogether he would get bored and leave. She couldn’t imagine what could have possessed him to come up with such a terrible lie. She knew what had caused it, but how could he have ever thought that story would trick Kagome was beyond her. So what if Inu-Yasha was jealous? Sure, it kind of made her feel appreciated, if in a dissatisfying manner, but actually naming one of her friends to be an evil demon? It was just stupid. That would some it up. It was stupid, that was why the hanyou had thought of it. Kagome shook her head wryly. She hadn’t thought Inu-Yasha was the brightest star in the sky, but she hadn’t believed him that idiotic.

Kagome looked at herself in the mirror. She had dressed up a bit for this date, mostly to annoy Inu-Yasha, she had to admit. Hojo was a nice boy, but she didn’t really think of him as a prospective boyfriend. Still, wearing these clothes might give him the impression that she was truly interested…No, she didn’t need to worry. It was Inu-Yasha’s reaction that she feared most. She wanted him to be jealous, but she didn’t want him to get too angry or dejected. Well, it was now or never. With one last look at herself in the mirror, she made her way downstairs to wait for her date. * * *

Inu-Yasha climbed onto the roof beside Kagome’s window, listening carefully for any sign of activity within. He didn’t want a repeat of yesterday…Of course he didn’t! He wasn’t like that lecherous monk! At first the hanyou heard nothing and made to open the window, but then he heard Kagome’s quiet breathing. He strained his ears for any other sounds, but heard nothing else. Finally, he gathered the courage and peeked through the window.

Inu-Yasha sighed, in silent relief and a bit of traitorous disappointment, to find Kagome fully dressed within. Both emotions lasted only a brief moment before he truly noticed the girl he was staring at. She was beautiful! Inu-Yasha had never seen her dressed so, never seen her in anything in her uniform mostly. While that garment was nice in its own way, a way he would never admit, it was nothing to the one Kagome wore now. Of course, the hanyou wouldn’t have really noticed the dress so much if it had been on any other, but on Kagome it was stunning.

He quickly ducked his head so that it would not be so easily noticed from inside and stared wonderingly. Inu-Yasha watched as Kagome turned and walked from the room. His entrancement ended only once she left his sight. Sighing softly to himself, the hanyou slipped into her room that she had so recently inhabited. Her scent was here in abundance, and he could not help but breathe it deeply. Something about her scent made him feel better, feel calm and happy. Inu-Yasha simply sat in her room, enjoying the feel of her around him.

The chiming of a bell woke him from his reverie and he cursed. That hated scent wafted through the window, dispelling any of the calm that Kagome’s had so briefly brought him. He was gonna kill that damned boy! Inu-Yasha dashed to the window and watched Kagome leaving with the soon-to-be corpse. Growling low in his throat, the hanyou followed in the shadows. It would be dark by the time their ‘date’ ended, and he would make certain Kagome was safe from the fiend…then he would rip his head off. Inu-Yasha could not help but smile dreamily. * * *

Kagome had not been waiting long when the doorbell rang. Hojo was there, smiling shyly. Kagome was a bit apprehensive as well. She wasn’t exactly experienced with dates, and the only ones she’d ever had had either been interrupted by her ‘illnesses’ or blown off altogether. Still, she was with Hojo, so there wasn’t really anything to worry about. He was such a nice boy, after all. Smiling a bit bashfully, Kagome gestured that he should come in.

Hojo hesitated and shook his head, still smiling shyly. “The movie will be starting soon Kagome. We should get going so that we can get good seats before the theatre fills up.”

Kagome nodded in agreement, but was a bit puzzled. They would be early if they left now, but she figured that he was right about finding good seats. “Okay, let’s go.” Kagome stepped out onto the porch and called back into the house. “I’m going out! I’ll be back later!” She heard a vague response from somewhere upstairs and closed the door. She didn’t really need Souta bugging her about her date.

She and Hojo walked side-by-side down the shrine’s steps, making half-embarrassed small talk. Kagome couldn’t really think of anything to say. What was it about talking to a boy that confused her brain so? Inu-Yasha did it too, but she could always yell at him when she was confused. Yelling at Hojo wouldn’t work. It would likely hurt his feelings, and Kagome didn’t feel the inclination to yell at him anyways. Somehow, she felt that Inu-Yasha was the only one that she could yell at, besides Souta of course. Why exactly was that?

Kagome had been pondering this thought and had totally forgotten Hojo walking beside her. When his hand touched her shoulder she jumped, startled back into reality. They had arrived at the theatre. Hojo looked at her concernedly. “Are you all right, Higurashi? You seemed a bit out of it there. If you aren’t feeling well, we can do this some other time. You shouldn’t push yourself if you’re ill.”

Kagome looked up into that earnest and innocent face, ashamed at the slight annoyance she felt with him. Why did he have to be so oblivious? “No! I mean, I feel fine. I was just thinking to myself. Let’s go. We need to get seats, remember?” Kagome pulled Hojo into the theatre after her, not noticing that she was now holding his hand. Hojo’s hand tightened around hers imperceptibly. A growl rose from the darkening shadows. * * *

Inu-Yasha followed the two all the way to the theatre, hiding himself in the shadows of a nearby building. The boy reached over and put his hand on her shoulder, causing Inu-Yasha to bare his teeth menacingly. Kagome started at his touch, and Inu-Yasha smiled in triumph, but this was short-lived as she then grabbed the boys hand and hurried inside. Inu-Yasha was stunned. She was holding his hand. He watched the boy close his hand about Kagome’s and anger surged up in him. His growl was audible even across the street, and several people turned in apprehension to look into the dark shadows, possibly thinking that some vicious dog was going to attack. They weren’t that far off.

Inu-Yasha pondered his situation. Kagome was inside, and he couldn’t protect her from out here. However, he couldn’t exactly walk in the front door. He couldn’t wait out here in the shadows anyways, as someone would certainly notice him eventually. There would likely be another door to a building so large, so he only needed to find it, then find Kagome within and make sure that the fiend did nothing to her.

He did indeed find a side door to the building, but it didn’t have a handle on the outside so he had to pry it open with his claws. Inside, he found himself in a dim corridor with many doors. There were quite a few people wandering in actually, so Inu-Yasha hurriedly searched for Kagome’s scent. He found it a few moments later, which was lucky, because several people were looking at him strangely. He followed down the hall to a one of those doors, where it led inside.

The hanyou opened the door and found himself in an even darker room. He found rows and rows of seats, many of which were already filled, sloping up from one wall. It was dark enough that he didn’t have to worry too much about being seen. Human eyes wouldn’t notice his ears at first, though his hair would definitely stick out. He decided to make his way quickly towards the back where it would be hardest to see him. A few people stared at him, likely his hair, as he passed, but none watched him for very long.

Inu-Yasha settled down into one of the corner seats, golden eyes casting about for Kagome. They found her quickly. He could always find Kagome, no matter how many people surrounded her. She was sitting next to the cursed boy whispering something the hanyou could not hear. Growling in frustration, he strained his ears to hear what she was saying. He could just make out her voice…unfortunately she had stopped speaking. Damn!

For the first time, Inu-Yasha noticed the flickering screen that covered the wall he was facing. There were pictures on it, but they were moving about, like real people. Shaking his head, he returned his attention to Kagome. He didn’t care about some strange pictures, not while Kagome was in danger. Kagome and the boy seemed to be watching the screen intently, though he caught them casting glances at each other on occasion, or whispering briefly. Kagome seemed nervous. She should have been nervous! She was whispering with one of Naraku’s minions, dammit!

Inu-Yasha growled deep in his throat when the boy’s hand ‘accidentally’ slipped over Kagome’s as he reached into the bucket she was holding. She blushed ,and he pulled his hand away shyly, quietly apologizing. Several people had turned to stare, and even glare, at the hanyou who had growled. Kagome looked around, having obviously heard it too, and Inu-Yasha ducked down in his seat, keeping out of sight. Looking relieved that she didn’t find him, which nearly caused the hanyou to growl again, she turned back to the movie.

Finally, the movie ended and everyone filed out, save Inu-Yasha, who slipped out one of the doors at the front of the room. He found himself outside once more and rushed to the front to wait for Kagome. She wandered out into the night slowly, talking with the Evil One. Somehow, Hojo had gone in his mind from weak bastard to demonic fiend to Evil One. Inu-Yasha didn’t even notice it. He followed them home again and was surprised that the boy didn’t try anything, simply escorting her to the door and saying good night.

If it weren’t for the fact that the boy was pursuing Kagome, Inu-Yasha might have passed his scent as a coincidence, but he was after Kagome. The boy was evil, Inu-Yasha was convinced. The hanyou followed the boy to the down the shrine’s steps. They were halfway down when the boy stopped and turned to where the hanyou was hiding in the shadows. He smiled that idiotic smile.

“I know you’re there, hanyou. I know that you’ve been following me for the entire night. You may know my secret, but there’s nothing you can do about it. The girl will never believe you, and you daren’t touch me. She’d never see you again if you hurt this innocent boy. Give up already, foolish hanyou. You can’t compete with me. She’ll choose me, and then I’ll kill her, just like I killed the other girl.” The boy laughed that innocent laugh and Inu-Yasha’s mind exploded with rage.

He was leaping at the boy before he could think, slashing fiercely at his head. At the last second he pulled back, but he still grazed the boy’s cheek, leaving four bleeding gashes. The boy’s smile never faltered, and Inu-Yasha found himself yearning to tear his throat out. The fiend put his hand to his face gently, feeling the blood oozing out.

“Oh, you’ve cut me, hanyou. Now the girl will never believe you. She will send you back home and seal the well for hurting me. Everyone knows you that a dog gone rabid is dangerous. You’re hurting her friends now…next it could be her.”

Inu-Yasha could only stare at the evil thing before him. Kagome would never do that, would she? She wouldn’t believe this thing over him…but she already did. Kagome already believed that Inu-Yasha was lying about the boy. There was nothing he could do. If she was going to seal the well, he might as well kill this bastard. At least then she’d be safe, even if he could never see her again. He wouldn’t be able to live with himself if he let her be harmed by one of Naraku’s minions.

He cracked his knuckles, preparing to launch himself at the evil boy. The boy’s eyes widened in surprise, but the foolish smile never left his face. “Oh no, hanyou. I can’t allow you to kill me yet. Until next time…” Before Inu-Yasha could slash the boy to pieces, he dissipated into a black, choking smoke, much like Naraku’s miasma.

Inu-Yasha was left standing upon the shrine steps staring into the night. He was in trouble. Kagome was in danger and she wouldn’t believe him. She would think that he was attacking her friends and he couldn’t deny it. The blood on his hand screamed his guilt. Once up the stairs, the hanyou watched the house silently, staring hard at the lighted window that was Kagome’s room.

The light went out abruptly, like a pin bursting a bubble…much like Inu-Yasha’s volatile emotions were bursting in his heart. It was all Inu-Yasha could do not to scream curses into the night. He could hold it no longer, so he rushed down the well into the night of Sengoku Jidai. The entire village was wakened by his shouted profanities. There would be no turning back…That boy was dead, even if he never saw Kagome again, Inu-Yasha would kill him. Nothing would stop him.

End of Chapter Three

 

It’s funny…I was just getting ready to start college when I wrote this. Hadn’t even met my fiancé yet…time slips away.

-Chevalier Mal Fet