InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Expect the Unexpected ❯ Fallen ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I don’t own Inuyasha…is this really necessary?



Chapter Seven: Fallen

Inuyasha stared at the slashes across the bared chest of his reflection. They were rough and jagged, made by a mindless beast of a demon. He had come to this stream to wash the blood from his body and clothes, and stood on the shore with his upper body bare. His wet shirts lay on a rock nearby, forgotten. The quiet trickling of the stream was making him pensive.

His gaze turned to four finer slashes running down his left arm. They were thin, but no less deep, and definitely not made by the same beast who had cut him upon the breast. His expression was thoughtful as he brought his left hand to the top of his right arm. His expression never faltered as he dug his claws into his own arm and sliced downward to his wrist. Now his arms matched.

Somehow he did not feel quite right. Somewhere deep in the ice that had encased his heart, he felt a twinge of wrongness. What was it? His brow furrowed as he tried to conjure the meaning of this strange feeling. He nearly had it…it was…it had to do with…Kagome…Oh, her. Inuyasha immediately ended his questing. He didn’t want to think about her.

The hanyou felt a strange desire to giggle. He shook it from him. He had never been one to giggle, why should he feel like it now? Again the ice around Inuyasha’s heart thinned, and he felt the crushing dark of his emotions. He wanted to laugh because he felt destroyed? Was he going mad? A small laugh escaped his throat. Inuyasha was too busy wondering if he were losing his mind to notice. Perhaps he was. Did it really matter?

He remembered how he had felt when that bear-thing had nearly killed Kagome. He had been relieved, until she had ducked. He had felt anger, frustration, and despair when Hiraikotsu had cut the damned beast in half. But he had also felt extreme fear as it had charged the girl. He had been so ashamed of himself as he had stood, watching as the girl he loved was attacked…wait, he didn’t love her! He hated Kagome! He absolutely despised her! And yet, he loved her more than he could comprehend.

It was actually very funny when he thought about it. He wanted Kagome gone forever, never to return, perhaps dead…but he couldn’t stand for her to be away from him for a moment. Even now he felt the yearning to go to her, to feel that extreme pain that she caused him. He loved that excruciating torture that she brought every time he saw her. He loved every moment of agony he had with her.

Inuyasha paused in his thoughts. He couldn’t even feel the gashes in his arms, anymore. They were still there, oozing his dark blood, when he checked. Strange, why couldn’t he feel them any more? Then he remembered. Oh, it was because he already felt something much more painful. Those little scratches on his arms weren’t even noticeable compared to the grip about his heart. Now Inuyasha did laugh, loud and without restraint as it all became too much. His laughter echoed deep into the forest about him.

***

Inuyasha had returned to camp in the early night, with Sango and Miroku still gone and Kagome hiding in her bedroll. Shippou shivered as he watched the hanyou leap into a nearby tree to keep watch for the night. The young fox had not been particularly happy to have him return with Miroku and Sango still away, with only Kirara to watch over him and the girl.

Shippou snuggled up against Kagome, watching Inuyasha warily, though he was hardly able to make him out in the darkening night. Inuyasha seemed to occupy himself with guarding the camp, eyes never even crossing Kagome’s form. Shippou had heard the strange laughter that had floated in from the deeper forest, though he doubted that any of the humans had been able to hear it. It seemed strange to think that it could have been Inuyasha, especially with that dark, eerie quality about it, but Shippou was certain that it had indeed been the hanyou’s laughter.

Shippou was frightened, for himself, but mostly for Kagome. She was closest to the hanyou, had been until this strange change had occurred in both of them. Now they seemed so distant from each other. With Inuyasha’s questionable mental state, Shippou was growing anxious for Kagome’s safety. The little fox could hardly protect her from the violent hanyou.

He nearly exclaimed in joy when the other two members of their group arrived. They settled down for the night, watching Inuyasha curiously. Eventually they slipped into sleep, though Kagome still could not, herself. Shippou seemed not to be able to sleep, either. He was too worried for Kagome.

It was perhaps another hour before Kagome finally fell asleep, but Shippou was still too tightly wound to join her. He willed himself to sleep, but to no avail, so he instead turned to playing games until he grew tired. Quickly losing interest in the little games, Shippou started inspecting the wood about him. It was so dark that he could barely see anything, as the Moon seemed hidden behind a cloudy night sky. Shippou’s eyes wandered until they found two bright lights in the dark.

The young youkai started abruptly, frightened before he realized what he was seeing. He could see Inuyasha’s golden eyes shining brilliantly in the night. Their intensity frightened Shippou even more than his original startlement. They seemed to burn with intensity, to bore into him. But the fox quickly realized that they weren’t boring into him. Those brilliant eyes were focused solely on Kagome’s sleeping form.

Shippou tore his gaze from those terrifying eyes. He couldn’t bring himself to look anywhere near Inuyasha’s form for the rest of the night…The entire night, which he experienced oh so fully as any thought of sleep had been driven from his mind. Shippou thought it would be a wonder if he ever slept again.

***

Something had changed in the night. Inuyasha wasn’t quite sure what it had been, but he was certain that he felt different today. He had toyed briefly with the idea of strangling Kagome in her sleep, but not seriously. With her gone, he would have no one to hurt him any more. He was beyond all pain besides hers. He was beyond all feeling besides that pain. Inuyasha wanted to feel, needed to feel. Besides, that damned fox had been awake the whole night.

What the hell was wrong with him? Ever so slightly, Inuyasha began to feel an anger growing in him. What in the damned bloody hell was wrong with him! He was so confused that his head ached dully. He really needed to do something about this strange feeling that had suddenly come over him. It was like a drill to his head…and his heart.

His feelings towards Kagome had escalated during the night, the pain and hatred reaching new highs. If that fox hadn’t been awake, Kagome wouldn’t have survived the night, even though Inuyasha had almost immediately decided that he didn’t want to kill her. That brief moment when he had thought about it would have been enough.

The group was finally ready to go, to head back to that village…with that well…She would be leaving him again. The pain only grew worse. There was something wrong with her leaving. What was it? It wasn’t just about her leaving…no, it was about her returning home. It was at the edge of his thoughts, just evading his grasping search. The wretched monk called out to him that they were ready to go, ruining any chance of retrieving that particular piece of information.

The hanyou growled dangerously at the monk, not noticing the surprised look on his and the slayer’s faces. He frowned darkly at the burning pain in his arms. The slashes there were only partly healed, and they seemed more painful than the ones across his chest. Inuyasha cursed under his breath at his discomfort. He scowled at Miroku when he noticed the monk watching him curiously. Damned pervert.

They arrived at the village and Kagome immediately set out for the well. Inuyasha felt a stabbing pain in his heart at that, but tried to ignore it. Once she was gone, the monk and the slayer seemed to debate continuing their study of the hanyou. Inuyasha ended their debate by disappearing off to the go-shinboku by himself.

He sat high in the branches of that ancient tree, feeling something missing. There was something that he was supposed to remember. It probably had to do with Kagome…Oh yes, it had to do with Kagome going home. Now what was it?

Inuyasha leapt from the go-shinboku, landing heavily on the forest floor before dashing off. He flashed through the forest until he found himself in the well’s clearing. He was down it in a heartbeat, and he could feel the magic of the well surround him as he drifted towards Kagome’s world. He had remembered.

End of Chapter Seven



-Chevalier