InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fano's Fantasies ❯ Spiritual Ties ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Summary: Miroku and Kagome help each other through a difficult time and draw closer in the process.
Disclaimer: InuYasha and friends are the sole property of Rumiko Takahashi.
 
 
 
Spiritual Ties
 
Inhale… hold
Exhale… hold
Inhale… hold
Kagome's really mad at you…
Damm…let it go
Exhale… hold
Inhale… hold
Exhale… hold
Bet she would have sat you if she could've…
Argghhhhlet it go
Inhale… hold
Exhale… hold
She's accusing you unfairly… go back!
I will not go back! Everyone's frustrated. We all just need tocool down. I'm here to calm myself. Now, concentrate let it go
Inhale… hold
Exhale… hold
Inhale… hold
Exhale… hold
That tickle is a mosquito biting youlet it go
Inhale… hold
That ruckus is Kagome screaming after InuYasha because he's leaving to see Kikyoulet it go
Exhale… hold
Inhale… hold
Exhale… hold
Go ahead and scratch that itch at the edge of your kazaanalet it go
Inhale… hold
You know you want to…let it go
Exhale… hold
Inhale… hold
Itch. Itch. Itch…let it go
Exhale… hold
Inhale… hold
Exhale… hold
Inhale… hold
Exhale… hold
Inhale… hold
Exhale… hold
Sango was looking nice in her clingy armor today, wasn't she? let it go
Inhale… hold
Exhale… hold
You know your problem, don't you? …let it go
Exhale… hold
Inhale… hold
Exhale… hold
You're hornylet it go
Inhale… hold
Exhale… hold
Can'tlet it go
Inhale… hold
Exhale… hold
Too horny…
ARGGGG!
 
 
Miroku breathed out loudly. I can't do this. Not tonight. I'm sorry, Father. I'm sorry, Master Mushin. I just can't meditate tonight.
 
The houshi looked over the valley below him as it darkened in the dusk, and watched small firefly lights begin to wink in an out as they floated over the growing fields. The scene was very peaceful, but there was no peace in his heart. He was agitated, and had been for days. They all had been. That afternoon, InuYasha had finally said what they'd all been thinking.
 
“Damn it!” The hanyou had tried once more to make the dragon scales appear on Tetsusaiga, using Kilala as his practice partner, with no effect whatsoever. “I just can't control it!” He'd slammed the rusty blade back into its scabbard, gave the nekoyoukai a rough but affectionate swipe on the brow and stomped back to their camp. “What's the use of another fucking sword upgrade if I can't control the damn thing?” He had been talking to no one in particular.
 
“It'll come, InuYasha,” Kagome tried to sound reassuring, but Miroku could tell his rants were getting on her nerves too.
 
“Mouryomaru just keeps getting stronger,” InuYasha had sounded really angry, not just his usual, annoyed self, “and we just keep running in fucking circles!” Then he'd started pacing, increasing everyone's tension.
 
Miroku saw Kagome scowl as she looked at her partner out of the corner of her eye. Kagome didn't scowl often, but when she did it was bad news for everyone nearby. He had thought he would intervene and try to save InuYasha some grief.
 
“Why don't InuYasha and I go to the village down there and see if there's been any word of Naraku, Mouryomaru, Hakudoshi, Kagura, Kanna, or anyone else suspicious.” Miroku caught the hanyou's eye and jerked his head toward the road, widening his eyes in an effort to communicate Come on, InuYasha! Let's go before you get yourself sat!
 
But as usual, the hanyou was too stubborn, or thick, to get himself gracefully out of the situation, and only managed to make it worse.
 
“Nah,” he huffed, giving Miroku a bemused look, clearly not understanding the great service his friend was trying to do for him. “They never know anything. I think I'll go see if I can find Kikyou. She might have found something by now.”
 
“Argh!” Kagome had begun winding up and both men turned to her, somewhat fearful. “InuYasha!” The hanyou took a step back, his face blanching.
 
“Sit!”
 
Down he'd gone, smashing into the ground at Kagome's feet, groaning.
 
“Damn it, Kagome!” Bringing his hands up to his shoulders, the hanyou had tried to push against the spell before it dissipated. “Why the hell did you heal her if you didn't want her to help us?” Finally, he'd succeeded in getting himself back to his knees and glowered up at her. Miroku just rolled his eyes and turned away from the feuding pair to see Sango staring daggers at him.
 
“What?” Miroku asked, genuinely confused. That look on her face had been truly menacing, and he was sure he hadn't deserved `it', whatever it was. “Why are you looking at me like that?”
 
“What is it you're hoping to find in the village, hm?” Sango glared at him. “Did you see some pretty girls there when we went through this afternoon?”
 
“No!” Miroku lied, “I was just trying to help InuYasha avoid-“
 
“Sit!” Kagome yelled again from behind him, making them both flinch.
 
“-that.” Miroku finished lamely.
 
“Sure.” Sango turned away.
 
Miroku had almost said something angry to her, his frustrations were running so high. But deep down he knew she had a point and he felt guilty about that. He had, in fact, been looking forward to visiting the village, if for no other reason than to take a look at some pretty women and fuel his fantasies that someday, somewhere, some woman would actually enjoy his touch. He couldn't help his need to be with women. He needed their company, their presence and their attention. Groping was nice, but that wasn't really even as important as flirting, laughing and fawning, all of which filled a little sadness in him. He'd never known where this strong need originated, but it was as core a part of him as his blasted kazaana. And instead of filling that need herself, Sango always just pushed him away, forcing him to seek his satisfaction elsewhere. He had every intention of keeping his promise to her, but he still needed to be with women, and if she wouldn't at least humor him with a little feminine attention now and then, what choice did he have? Maybe tonight he'd just sit with Kagome if InuYasha really left. Sometimes that did the trick too.
 
What did I hear you say?” Miroku had turned to see Kagome stalking him, InuYasha face down in the dirt at her feet. “Did I hear you say you were trying to distract me to save his sorry butt?” She had jabbed her thumb over her shoulder at the smashed hanyou and her face was furious, her skin blushing a rosy pink that might have been attractive if it hadn't been surrounding those glowering eyeballs.
 
“No!” Miroku had instinctively backed away, sure that if there was ever a time Kagome could sit! him, that would've been it. “I was just trying to help us find a little peace! Everyone is just too uptight. I think we could all use a little time alone.”
 
They had all just stared at him, InuYasha finally managing to right himself.
 
“Fine!” All three of them had said together, turning on their various heels and knees and moving away in opposite directions.
 
He had watched them leave and then huffed away himself. Here. To mediate. Or, more precisely, to fail miserably in an attempt to meditate. He breathed out a sigh. What kind of houshi can't meditate?
 
As he pondered his situation, he sensed the presence of a feeling that had been haunting him for weeks as it once again insisted on seeking his attention. It always started as that itch inside his cursed palm. He looked down to see his left hand absentmindedly rubbing the cloth covering his kazaana at the edges of the wound, trying to appease the irritation he couldn't reach inside. He kept pushing this deep irritation away but it kept coming back. He knew that meant it was important, something he was meant to sit with, something he needed to consider. But he didn't want to. Every time he even began to let it in, he became unbearably depressed and scared. But it was here. And it wasn't going away. So, it was either sit with it, finally, to see what it was about, or try to mediate again. Lousy choice. Something told him even if he tried to meditate, the feeling would infiltrate his concentration and insist on being recognized. Fine then. Come. Let's get this over with.
 
He took a deep breath and closed his eyes as the sadness descended, bringing a constriction of fear to his throat. Then it came as he opened himself for the first time to the feeling that had been trailing him, hiding in wait for him to become distracted and then demand to be acknowledged. The itching slowly became a dull ache reaching up his arm, turning towards his chest as it reached his shoulder, called by a dark emptiness in him. The emptiness, sucking at the pain in his hand, was that same sadness that only a woman's attentions could soothe. A cold stab of fear iced through him. Are they connected? Is this emptiness making me more vulnerable to my kazaana? Is this how I will die? Eaten from the inside? There was a brief silence inside him into which another voice spoke.
 
You should leave.
 
The voice was distinct, not his `normal voice'. He knew he was entering another kind of meditation and that he must participate to understand. It was his own inner self speaking to him, providing him guidance. Knowing this did not remove the fear.
 
No. I don't want to leave Sango. Or Kagome or InuYasha. We are a team.
 
She will not give you what you need and the `team' is getting nowhere. You know you have the power to do this on your own. Your time is running short. His arm throbbed from the inside as if to emphasize the point.
 
Sango and I can't give each other what we need until Naraku is destroyed. If I leave, I could just as easily get myself killed and weaken their ability to bring down Naraku in the end.
 
Either way, you'll probably die in the process. Why make Sango watch?
 
That's just an excuse. Why do you want so desperately for me to leave? Isn't this just my own frustration talking? You just make it sound easier to do it on my own, but it won't be.
 
I am not your frustration.
 
Miroku thought about this. The visitations had been so insistent, so strong and so regular - and this sensation of pain in his arm and emptiness inside was so real - that he opened himself to the possibility that this wasn't, in fact, a conversation he was having with his small self, but with a spirit guide… or a spirit demon. Sometimes they were hard to distinguish. And if it was a spirit - guide or demon - he should pay it heed for it was most likely be in touch with his higher soul and be a conduit for his soul's guidance. He took a deep breath.
 
Yes, now we can relate.
 
What lesson must I learn?
 
What is your quest?
 
Destroy Naraku.
 
Why?
 
To prevent this curse from plaguing my family for the rest of time.
 
You don't need to destroy Naraku to end the curse. Just let it consume you now. You know how to do it. Open your hand and look deeply into the dark. The curse will stop.
 
Miroku felt the stab of dread that always stabbed through him when that vision came. How simple it would be. To just unseal his hand, look at it, and disappear. Sometimes this vision pulled at him as strongly as he pushed himself away from it.
 
What more fuels your quest?
 
Naraku's evil must stop. I want to prevent him from further torturing the ones I love, and countless others whose lives he warps and mutilates for his own twisted enjoyment.
 
Ah. A compassionate motivation.
 
The comfort of compassion bloomed in his heart, calming his fears and worries, settling over that emptiness like a soothing balm. How had he so easily forgotten the higher purpose that called him on this journey? Had that been what this was about? Had the spirit been tempting him with running away to help him remember his true motivation - the only motivation - that would help him vanquish Naraku in the end? The selfish motivation would undoubtedly lead to failure, but the higher purpose, the desire to bring peace to others and alleviate their pain, it could win in the end.
 
Yes.
 
Miroku felt a wave of gratitude as peace flooded him, calming him and washing away the agitation and pain, soothing the emptiness. As soon as the peace came into his heart, the ache in his arm had nothing to reach for and dissipated. Bringing his hands together in front of him, he said the little prayer of thanks to the visiting spirit. But the spirit did not leave. Is there more you would share?
 
Perhaps…
 
What other lesson must I learn?
 
It may not be yours to learn this time… but to give… and to receive.
 
I don't understand. What do you mean?
 
There was silence. The spirit had departed.
 
Miroku said another prayer of thanks and breathed deeply again, calmly, finally feeling the peace he'd sought earlier. He still felt the little emptiness and the itch at the edge of his kazaana, but they no longer reached for one another; they were back to `normal', simmering and brewing until the next time. The vision of his immanent destruction was over and he felt refreshed and energized on a spiritual level. He decided against a structured meditation, but closed his eyes and allowed himself to simply listen to his breath as it became deeper at his body's natural urging, pulling vibrance from the air and circulating it through his body and spirit. He felt the peace relax him at the same time that his body began to feel strong, full of energy from his breath. He wanted to lie down and float and he wanted to jump up and run at the same time. A small smile played at his lips at the excitement he felt, so happy to be free of the frustration that had been clogging him of late. He liked the feeling of spiritual sensitivity he had now, aware of the world and the creatures in it in a new, more finely attuned, way.
 
To give and to receive... what does that mean? No answer came to him, which simply meant that the opportunity to understand had not yet presented itself.
 
A sound reached his ears, one meant to break his concentration, one worth breaking it. Kagome was crying. He opened his eyes to listen, expecting to hear Sango's soft reassurances as she held her friend. But they didn't come. Sango must have left, too. Taking a last breath and blowing out another prayer of thanks, Miroku rose and followed the sounds of Kagome's sobs. He saw her, sitting further over on the hillside. Like him, she'd come to look over the valley, to be alone. He approached, ready to leave.
 
“Kagome?” He was careful to keep his voice respectful and low, sensitive to her pain. “Are you alright?”
 
“Miroku.” She raised her head from her arms, which were wrapped around her knees, pulled into herself. “I'm sorry.”
 
“Why?” He came to her side and squatted, placing a hand gently on her shoulder, sensing her, feeling her sorrow and loneliness. “You don't need to be sorry.”
 
“But I got so mad at you when you were trying to help InuYasha and me stop fighting. And now I've ruined your meditation,” she gulped up a little sob and put her head back on her arms.
 
“We were all upset,” he knelt by her, “and my meditation fell apart long before you came here. A good meditation can take place in the middle of a bustling village. External distraction is a function of the mind.” He laughed at himself. “You didn't ruin my meditation. I did that all by myself.”
 
“Really?” She sat up a little more and seemed genuinely relieved that he was not upset.
 
“May I sit with you?” Something told him she might like to talk. And with InuYasha and Sango both gone, he was concerned for her well-being, at least that was the excuse he gave himself for inviting himself into her sadness.
 
“Yes,” she brightened a bit. “I'd like that.”
 
“Good.” He settled in next to her, looking out over the shadowed valley. The moon shone brightly now and stars glimmered here and there in the sky. His sense of peace grew, just looking at them. He also noticed that little warmth in his heart, the balm that being in a woman's company always brought to him. Kagome was his friend, but she also smelled good and it made him feel good to sit next to her.
 
“I guess you're wondering why I was crying.” She put her head back on her arms, but her sobs had subsided.
 
“I'm guessing you're upset that InuYasha left to find Kikyou.” He hoped he wasn't going to make her feel worse with that statement, but he knew Kagome would not welcome efforts to avoid the truth.
 
“Of course.” She took a deep breath and dropped her knees to sit cross-legged, wiping at her eyes. “But I guess there's more to it than that.” He waited, letting her share what she was willing to let go. “I feel so frustrated. InuYasha is right, we're getting nowhere. And I'm supposed to be this really `powerful' miko-“ she sniffed and wiped at her eyes again, “but I don't know all the stuff Kikyou does. I was hoping she'd teach me something after I saved her in the water. I'm supposed to be her soul's reincarnation, and even if I'm not, I'm trying to destroy Naraku too, but she doesn't do anything to help me!” Anger suffused her voice now. “She just keeps coming in to save the day and make me look like an idiot… and InuYasha keeps running after her… and I'm not learning anything about how to use my powers… and I keep thinking if I were a really `powerful miko', I'd be able to do something to destroy Moryumaru or Naraku… or at least figure out where the hell they are! Arghhhhh!” Kagome finally ran out of words and just growled in frustration.
 
Miroku smiled to himself. How well he understood her feelings. And now, the spirit's guidance began to made sense to him. This must be his opportunity.
 
“Kagome,” he said softly, “we're all frustrated, and you have every right to be angry at Kikyou and InuYasha. They are being selfish, but you know it is because they are still caught in the trauma of their relationship's ending and must see it through.” He paused while she nodded. They'd spoken of this before and slipped easily into this conversation where Miroku once again helped her let go of anger so they could all four continue to function together until their task was complete.
 
“I know,” she sighed and he could almost feel her letting go as she let out a deep sigh. “Thank you, Miroku.”
 
The sat in silence for a few minutes and Miroku searched his feelings, opening his heart to seek guidance on how he could best help Kagome at this juncture in her journey.
 
“Kagome,” he let the words flow through him, originating from many sources, “I know little of the training a miko receives, the powers they can manipulate or the secrets they protect. But my own training provides me insight into the workings of the world and the powers within it.” He closed his eyes, feeling his words take form in his heart and make their way into his throat and out his lips. “All power stems from the same source, the Unknowable which is known intimately to us all. I believe that at their core, mikos and houshis draw on the same powers to help them bring peace and comfort to those they are bound to help in this world.” He paused, letting them both absorb his words. “If you wish it, I will share with you whatever I know that may be helpful to you.” He opened his eyes and turned to her, smiling, “and I would learn from you.”
 
Kagome looked at him and blinked a few times. He saw the shadow of her lashes move over her eyes at least three times before she spoke. “Miroku,” she sounded surprised, but not displeased. “Would you really, teach me?”
 
“I don't know if I have much to teach you,” he said, still smiling, glad of her openness, “but I would share with you what I know.”
 
“What's the difference?” She asked, curious; a schoolgirl again.
 
“Teaching implies that I know something you do not and that I would be in a position to test your knowledge, which I am not,” he paused to let her absorb that thought. “When I share what I know with you, it is up to you to do something useful with it and to determine its value to you.” She thought on this.
 
“Okay. I think I understand,” she turned towards him and he felt her presence shift to focus on him. Her energy was like a warm blanket descending on him and he began to dwell on it for a brief moment, glowing a little in its beauty. His own energy sparked at being the focus of hers, vibrating a bit faster to speed his blood, attuning to her aura and her power. She broke through his reverie with a simple question. “How do we start?”
 
“First-” he struggled a little to bring his thoughts back to where they'd started, to helping her. He hadn't been prepared for the physical impact of her aura when she directed it at him, nor was he used to being so near her when they were both so in need and so willing to open to the other. Careful, houshi. Don't earn your reputation. He took a deep, centering breath and came back to where he'd been a few moments ago, listening to the guidance of his heart. “First, we start with purification, which is your strongest power and one which we share.” She nodded and he felt her aura lighten a little with his compliment. “What does it feel like, when you purify something?”
 
She looked up at the stars over his head, thinking. “I guess, hm, well I don't know if this is going to make any sense, but it feels like everything fades away except for this kind of - warmth - in my heart.” She laughed, a little embarrassed suddenly. “This is going to sound silly, but it almost feels like love. Anyway, I just concentrate on flowing that energy into my arms and the bow, centering it on the arrow tip. Then I make a wish and let the arrow fly.” She looked back at him. “That's it.”
 
“As I thought, very much like my experience of charging the ofudas,” she smiled at his affirmation of her experience, and he enjoyed the glow from her aura again, “I, too, pull my energy into my heart, say a prayer over it and direct the power of it into my hand holding the ofuda. Then I throw it.”
 
“Really?” She came to her knees, leaning forward a bit, soaking in his words. “Just the same?”
 
“Basically.” Miroku cleared his throat and concentrated on centering himself again. He was finding her intensity very distracting. “Let me tell you what I was taught about this experience we share.” He shifted a little to the side so that he was not facing her directly. Somehow, this reduced the potency of her affect on him, for which he was thankful. “The human body has an energy system-“
 
“The chakras!” Kagome interrupted, “I've heard about them.”
 
“Uh,” Miroku was a little confused by her word, “I am not familiar with that word, Kagome.”
 
“Oh,” she became more subdued, “I'm sorry. Go ahead and I won't interrupt you again.”
 
“It's alright,” he said, “let me finish and then you can tell me about the `chakras,' maybe they are the same, after all.” She nodded and he continued. “I am not a healer, so I don't know many details about the qi of the human body.” He noted that she cocked her head to the side. “Qi is the term I learned for the body's spiritual energy. It is what ties our spirits to our earthly forms in this incarnation. It is what makes us strong or weak - physically, spiritually and emotionally. As I said, I'm not a healer, but I was taught to notice a few of the qi centers in my body and to use them to channel energy.”
 
“And one of the qi centers is in the heart, isn't it?” Kagome's question sounded more like a statement to him. She knew she was right. She placed a hand over her heart and he nodded.
 
“Yes, it is,” he said. “I think there are many more, but I was only taught three. Baihui, the link to spirit on the top of the head; Huiyin, the link to the earth at the base of the spine; and Lingtai, the place of power where they join hands in the heart.”
 
“Yes,” she said quietly. He could tell she'd turned inward, and was sensing her own body. “Yes, there are many more... they're beautiful…”
 
Suddenly, Miroku took in a sharp breath as he felt her aura expand and wash over him with a burning sensation as she tapped into some point of power within her. His heart beat madly in his ears and adrenaline washed through him, flowing through his veins and going straight into his groin. He felt very flustered and tried to breathe deeply but found his lungs barely moving as the waves of sensation assaulted him. Did she have any idea what she was doing? What she was doing to him? He waited, trying only somewhat successfully to calm himself and quiet his body's excitement as it responded to the energy flowing from her.
 
He watched her in the dark as she opened her eyes, looking straight into his. He felt an intensification of their connection as their eyes continued to meet and neither looked away. His heart sped up again, but this time it was for a different reason. Somehow in that space between their eyes, a door had opened, an opportunity for intimacy between them. Allowing himself to feel it now, he realized it had always been there, born from a shared respect and appreciation for each other. His body insisted on reminding him that he also found her very attractive.
 
“Tell me about the chakras,” he tried to come across nonchalantly, but his voice sounded high-pitched and nervous in his ears. “Are they similar to the qi?” He tried to break eye contact with her, but he couldn't. It wasn't clear whether this was because she would not allow it or because he did not want to.
 
“I don't know much about them,” her voice was low and soft, belying the powerful hold on his spirit she manipulated at that moment, “only that they align to the spine and key into different parts of the body. They have something to do with emotions too.” He thought he felt her take a breath, the vibration of it coming through her aura into his through the point where their energies met. “I suppose one would be at the top of the head and one would be at the base of the spine, and I'm sure one is in the heart. So, there must be a similarity.” She paused to breathe again, and he felt she was pulling the breath up and down his spine, running it through the power centers of his body. “I feel more, though, many more. Some are very strong.”
 
Miroku's heart sped again, feeling a pulse of energy from her. What was she thinking?
 
++++++++++++++++
 
Kagome sat transfixed, eyes shut and concentrating on the surging powers flowing through her. She felt her hands vibrating with energy and the feeling was thrilling, exciting. She felt as though the moon and the earth had established a direct link - straight through her body. She tried to remember what had happened. Miroku had been talking about power centers along the spine. She'd focused inward trying to feel them and suddenly fireworks showers had burst inside her as the earth and sky connected in her. She remembered to breathe and the motion of her breath only made it more amazing. As she inhaled, she felt she was floating up and as she exhaled she came gently back down.
 
She heard Miroku take in a sharp breath and suddenly she could feel him, feel his strong energy next to her, within her aura, which seemed to be expanding around them. As she focused on him, she felt a rush of warmth in a particularly strong power center between her navel and tailbone. A flash of orange exploded behind her eyes when she concentrated on this power and before she really understood what was happening, she felt her own power reach out to meet his, or was his reaching to meet hers? However it happened, their energies met, pulling into each other and causing a spike of heat between them.
 
Feeling as though she was in a trance, she opened her eyes to look into his. His eyes were wide with surprise and through them she felt she understood him, his heart. She'd always known he was a good man, but now - with the power of the earth and sky coursing through her - she saw into his heart and saw the place of pain that was his weakness, saw the dark hole of need that he struggled so hard to fill. Its insatiability sucked at all his powers, seeking completion. And even worse, it connected to his kazaana, pulling at its edges and forcing it to grow.
 
He asked her about chakras and some part of her brain responded even as she continued to look into his heart. He definitely felt this strong energy now channeling through her, it excited him and his excitement began to feed her own, adding a loop between them to channel the natural powers flooding into and out of her. She felt their hearts connecting, but an even stronger pull came from lower down, circling through that orange heat center below her belly. She felt the heat of this connection growing and while one part of her was powerfully drawn to explore it, other urges nagged at her, encouraging her to balance her own energy first.
 
“Miroku,” her voice sounded as if someone else spoke through her, “will you please wait for me here?”
 
“Uh,” he stammered a bit and a small part her thought it was very endearing, “of course, Kagome.” She sensed he was flushed and heard his breath quicken as she rose and stepped away.
 
She walked as though following an unheard call into the trees about fifteen meters away from where he sat, waiting. There she approached a tree and instinctively put her hands against its rough bark. Immediately, she felt the calming, grounding energy of the tree as it began to balance out the surges still running through her, stabilizing them, slowing their vibrations until the flood was a thrumming stream. Breathing deeply, she concentrated on the energy itself, now that it seemed more under control. She sensed several distinct places in her body where the energy flared as it moved through her, each place had a unique color and `feel.' The orange place was very powerful and tied to her sex. But her heart, a glowing green, was even more powerful and she centered herself there until she was ready to return to Miroku.
 
As she settled down next to him again she was glad to see that he, too, was calmer, but his energy still burned orange, like flames she saw rising around him. She concentrated on staying centered in her heart, letting the warm-but-cool green glow surround her and protect her from the orange flames coming from him to lick at her. She looked again into his heart and saw the dark spot, saw how vulnerable it was, saw the path to it from his hand. That is the path the shouki will take to destroy him. She knew she couldn't heal his hand, Naraku's curse still being too strong for her powers, but she could help strengthen the vulnerability in his heart, help fill the need there.
 
“Miroku,” she looked back into his eyes, focusing on the cooling sense of peace in her heart. “may I touch you?” At her words, the orange flames already swirling around him exploded and reached out to her, pulling and sucking at her energy, needy and wanting.
 
“Uh,” he was stammering again, “I don't know, Kagome. Is that wise?”
 
“It will be alright,” she tried to reassure him with a joke. “I promise not to put my hand on your butt.”
 
“Uh,” he almost looked disappointed. “Okay then.”
 
Becoming serious again, she rose onto her knees, moving closer to him. He looked uncertain but did not move away. She raised her hand to her heart and concentrated on pulling all the love and warmth she could feel in the energy coursing through her into her heart, including all the desire she had for his happiness and for his wholeness. With a wish for his well-being, she pushed the energy into her hand, making it glow slightly with flickers of green, pink and grey. Then she reached between them to place her hand on his heart, pushing her love and light into that dark place, the place that yearned for the touch of a woman, filling it.
 
Their eyes locked and the unbreakable bond was established again. He was warm under her hand and she felt the rise and the fall of his chest with his breath, felt the rapid beat of his heart against her fingers, felt the pull from the hole in his heart, pulling all the love she had to give. She kept the energy flowing, having an unlimited supply from the earth and sky, and they sat like this for some time, as she gave to him and he took from her. The whole time, their eyes concentrated on each other.
 
As soon as she had touched him, the orange flames surrounding him reached around her, trying to engulf her green serenity, but unsuccessfully. As time went on and her love flowed into him, healing him, his consuming intensity began to calm, simmering between them, lapping gently at her, warming her. After some time, the flames had calmed into a small rainbow of sparks flying around him, swirling beautifully and lazily around them both. Kagome realized she was tired and she broke their contact, slumping a little and looking down at the grass underneath her knees.
 
“Kagome,” he sounded concerned, “are you alright?”
 
“Yes,” she was fine, just tired. Raising her hands to her face she realized that the energy had stopped surging through her, leaving her feeling somewhat empty. But her hands still tingled as she felt random energy banging around inside her, jangling her nerves all of a sudden. “But I don't feel quite right…” she shook her hands, “like I've got all this extra energy that doesn't know where else to go-“ she started to feel a little panicked as the energy became agitated and began to upset her. She shook her hands more vehemently. Miroku seemed to sense her discomfort.
 
“I've seen healers do this before,” he shifted forward to put his hands on the ground, “they say they can drain excess energy into the soil to clear themselves.”
 
“Okay,” she leaned forward and put her palms on the grass and immediately felt relief as the clamoring whirls of energy flowed from her palms into the earth, leaving her with a comfortable fatigue. “Thanks. It worked.” She looked up at him again to see his smile. He looked happier than she'd seen him in weeks.
 
“Kagome-” he swallowed. “Thank you. I don't think I realized how broken I felt. I'm not sure what just happened, but I think you found a very special miko power and I feel privileged that you tried it out on me. I feel… I feel wonderful. Thank you.”
 
He picked up her hand in his and held it. She felt his warmth and strength and suddenly she could hardly sit up. Lurching forward, she stopped herself from falling with her other hand.
 
“Oh!” She took a deep breath as she steadied herself. “I don't know why I'm so tired all of a sudden.”
 
“Here,” Miroku reached up and took her by the shoulders, lifting her weight as though she were nothing and sat her in his lap, leaning her head against his chest. As he wrapped his arms around her, her eyes succumbed to the weight of their lids and she rested in his embrace. It wasn't sleep exactly that took her, just a need to relax and let her body refuel. The sound of his heart next to her ear was like the earth's heartbeat itself - deep, steady and comforting. His breath, drifting down to breeze against her face and humming in and out of his lungs next to her was ceaseless, restful and hopeful. His arms under her shoulders and across her thighs were solid and hard, protecting her.
 
Finally, she did sleep.
 
++++++++++++++++
 
Miroku held Kagome carefully, feeling he held a precious life, feeling protective, feeling grateful. He heard her breathing become soft and regular as her hand, which had been holding his wrist, loosened and fell softly into her lap. She was asleep and he was glad.
 
He still wasn't sure what she'd done, or how she'd done it, but while he'd experienced so many feelings this night, from anger and frustration to extreme sexual excitement. It had all been fueled by some emptiness he hadn't understood until she'd touched him, filling it. He felt stronger, less vulnerable to the kazaana and shouki wounds in his body and the desperation in his heart. He felt more in control of himself. Barely fifteen minutes ago, he had been fighting his body's desire to have sex with her and now he felt nothing but compassion and love for her, for her gifts to him.
 
He felt his eyes become moist, looking out over the moonlit valley, watching the stars that dotted the sky. All the mysteries were here with them. The great dichotomies of pain and love, turmoil and peace, desire and compassion… they all sat with him now, all of them, in his heart and in his arms. His training had prepared him for these things, but each time he experienced them again, he was moved and awed. His spirit guide had been right, he had needed to learn that lesson again, and he had had something to give in return.
 
+++++++++++++++++
 
It was late when he heard the rush of flames that signaled Kilala's descent. Miroku looked up sleepily to see Kilala descending with both Sango and InuYasha on her back. The hanyou dismounted from high in the air and landed lightly next to him in a crouch.
 
“Is she okay?” InuYasha's expression was hard to read in the night.
 
“She's fine,” Miroku became aware that their position could be construed as compromising, but he had nothing to hide and the good feelings still in him gave him courage to tell the truth. “She had a strong miko experience tonight and she used it…” he surprised himself, swallowing a small constriction in his throat, “she used it to heal me.”
 
Sango walked up to hear the last part of his statement. He looked up at her, happy to see her, and tried to let his happiness show on his face.
 
InuYasha didn't say anything, but gazed at Kagome's peaceful face somewhat wistfully, Miroku thought. Then he reached out to pick Kagome up out of Miroku's lap, turning quietly to carry her back to where they had started to set up camp earlier.
 
Sango knelt beside him and placed her hand on his knee. He felt the small return of the warm energy in his groin and this time it made him smile.
 
“Houshi,” she said, “were you injured?”
 
“No, dear Sango,” he smiled at her again.
 
“Then why did Kagome need to heal you?” She sounded confused.
 
“I'm still not sure,” he admitted, “I only know that the discomfort from my hand is diminished. I feel stronger. Somehow Kagome knew - even more than I did - that I was weakening. And she healed me.”
 
Sango reached to grasp the hand covered in protective cloth and spelled beads. Pulling it to her, she turned it up to look at his shielded palm.
 
“Is there no way to heal this?” the worry was clear in her voice.
 
“Only one,” he said, feeling her sadness. “And that is why we continue to fight.” She looked at him.
 
“I wish I had the power to heal it, houshi,” she whispered.
 
“My dear Sango,” he said, reaching for her and guiding her into his lap, filling the space Kagome had left moments before. “You heal a wound far more important.”
 
 
 
The End
 
End notes:
 
Apologies to Reiku for making Kagome into a bodhisattva. It fit the storyline….
 
Mea Culpa to the intentional corner-cutting of both Buddhist and Hindu spiritual traditions. I did, in fact, use some reasonably researched information and personal spiritual experience in the writing of this fic, however.
 
In the chakra system, the second chakra (colored orange) is associated with base needs such as sex, money and power. The fourth chakra (colored green) is associated with feelings of love and compassion. While this can include romantic love (which also exists at the level of the second chakra) it is generally more unconditional and universal in nature and therefore operative between friends and strangers alike.
 
The healing technique Kagome used is called Reiki, a Japanese technique of laying on of hands to bring energy into the body for deep relaxation and a sense of well-being. Invented in the early 1900s, it's plausible that she might have read about it (and chakras) in a magazine back home.
 
While there are many links between Buddhist thought and the concepts of the chakras today, much of this is relatively recent and a product of Western interpretations of many Eastern traditions. For purposes of this story, I assumed that Miroku was a Buddhist monk in the Chinese tradition and whatever he'd learned of human energy systems had come from that tradition. However, since Buddhism and the chakra system both originated in India and Buddhism traveled to Japan via China, I think it's a reasonable assumption to make that the systems are based on the same basic understanding of human anatomy and spiritual power. I don't know that Shinto priests or priestesses studied energy systems at all. However, I also don't think that Kagome has particularly “studied” Shinto traditions. Based on her attitude toward tradition in the first chapter of the series and her relative reliance on Kikyou throughout the series for guidance on what to do spiritually, I would guess that Kagome's approach to her spiritual powers is intuitive, as I've tried to represent in this story. For this reason, I think Kagome would not find a description of chakras or qi very foreign at all.
 
Finally, I know that most forms of Buddhism specifically teach their disciples to ignore the presence of voices and spirits etc. in favor of personal and mental discipline during meditation. However, for purposes of character development, I took liberties and gave Miroku what I concocted in my head as a form of `country Buddhism,' most likely influenced by the Shinto beliefs in spirits from the farmers of the surrounding countryside.