InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ ForgetMeNot ❯ If You Truly Care ( Chapter 19 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Forget-Me-Not

By: Youkai Yume

CF: Hello, minna-san!

Yume: Hey! I wanted to say hi to everyone first!

CF: Yume-sama gets too much glory!

Yume: Oh, so I suppose you're here to steal it away from me?

CF: Precisely! Besides, CF is cuter anyways, and WAI! Look at all the chocolate CF's adoring fans send!

Yume: (sigh) For those of you who don't already know, this is CF, my new muse.

CF: Hi, hi, hi!

Yume: Whatever, (squeals) I'm so happy! My math project is done and over! No more stress! (does happy dance)

CF: But Yume-sama, what about that Math Analysis Test you have on Tuesday?

Yume: . . .shit-damn!

Disclaimer: All glorious rights and credit goes to Rumiko Takahashi. Damn her and her brilliant mind.

Chapter 19: If You Truly Care

Naraku pulled up the top of his hoari, finishing up dressing himself. He sent a crimson glance over his shoulder at the dead priestess, who still lay naked and asleep on the futon. A disgusting smirk crossed his lips. Everything was falling into place just as he liked. The unexpected love triangle that had manifested itself between Inuyasha, Sesshomaru, and the miko had brought on interesting propositions for him. Including the self-doubt and conflict that was beginning to form in the group.

And it is because of that self-doubt and conflict that gave him a small opening to tear them apart. And for the first time, he himself did not cause their growing distrust. No, the demon lord and miko from the future did if for him. But this in turn made the hanyou jealous of his own half-brother, and in a desperate attempt, tries to keep the girl for himself.

The gloating Naraku turned around when he heard his new mate stir awake. Soon, he will have everything he so desired. Due to the little scene Inuyasha and Kagome displayed, it threw Kikyo straight into his waiting arms. And now, all that was left to do was to finish the job of breaking their bond, and take the rest of the jewel.

Kikyo slowly sat up, clutching the covers over herself, and smiling malevolently over at Naraku.

"Slept well, koi?" He asked in a drippingly smug voice. Her chocolate eyes glinted in the dark.

"Yes, especially because I was dreaming of Inuyasha and that reincarnation of mine drowning in a sea of their own sorrows and the look on that girl's face when I take that hanyou into hell with me." She replied, a bittersweet tone to her voice. Naraku chuckled, and kneeled beside her.

"Today," He started smiling, "Today it begins. We'll make that dream of yours a reality," He whispered, and his mind flashed to the ever so innocent face of Kagome. How he'd enjoy seeing it contort in pain and agony. `All it takes is one small opening. . .'

~ ^_^ ~

"Can you move any slower people?" Inuyasha called to the others trailing behind. Rolling his eyes, Miroku suddenly smirked and started walking in slow motion, winking at the others to do the same. Giggling, they all joined along in the "turtle" walk, getting quite into it and laughing when they saw their hanyou friend almost fall over at the sight of then. Even Kirara was doing a pretty good job.

"That's not what I meant, you bakas!" He huffed angrily, his face growing red when they continued to laugh at him. He hated being teased or poked fun at, and the worst part of it was they all knew and were doing it on purpose.

"But Inuyasha, isn't this what you wanted?" Shippo asked innocently. He sent a glare over at the little kitsune.

"For your information, it's a little thing I like to call sarcasm! But I guess you all are too stupid to know what I'm talking about!" He replied, a small smirk formed at his lips.

"Ah, I guess you know a thing or two about stupidity, don't you my dear friend?" Miroku added amiably, and the smirk disappeared from Inuyasha's face. He jumped right in front of the monk, amber eyes glinting in anger.

"What's THAT supposed to mean?"

Sango couldn't help but giggle slightly at their antics. She noticed that she was alone in her laughter, and turned over to Kagome, who had suddenly become still and quiet.

"Kagome?" The miko jumped at the sound of her name, and glanced over at the older girl. "C'mon, lighten up a bit! We're allowed to squabble like good friends, right?" She pointed over at the scene of Inuyasha strangling a goofily smirking Miroku.

"Yeah, Kagome-chan, even you have to admit that's funny," Shippo said, hoping to cheer his okaa-san. Ever since Sesshomaru's departure the other day, Kagome had been slightly less enthusiastic. The kitsune pup had a suspicion that Inuyasha may have had something to do with it too, but either way, it didn't make him too happy to see his surrogate mother depressed.

But as she stood there, her eyes glued straight ahead with a sudden look of awareness in her stance, Sango and Shippo had a feeling this had more to do than with just her "depression."

"It's not that. . ." Kagome said softly, and Miroku and Inuyasha abruptly stopped their little squabble. Inuyasha was by her side in an instant.

"Kagome, what is it?" He asked sternly. She gave him a grave look, grasping her part of the jewel.

"I can feel him. . .he's getting closer. . ." She said slowly, the others looked at her confusedly.

"Who's getting closer?" Sango carefully asked, and Shippo clung onto her sailor shirt tighter. He could smell the nervousness from his momma. She drew him closer in return, and edged closer to Inuyasha.

"Can you hear them?" Kagome asked him, and Inuyasha's amber eyes widened for a moment before his ears twitched into an alert position. A sudden silence ushered over the group, and everything went still as the wind blew dust and leaves all around them.

Before long, the sound of buzzing insects floated through the air, and everyone averted their gaze upwards to see a swarm of poisonous insects coming their way. Amidst the horde of Naraku's army of insects was a dark cloud that carried a small dark figure, with blank, emotionless eyes.

Kagome heard Sango gasp beside her and turned her attention to her seemingly shocked friend.

"K-Kohaku. . ." She muttered in a torn voice. Kagome resisted the urge to draw her into a comforting hug, and instead readied her bow and arrows. Hesitantly, Sango did the same, pulling off her kimono, revealing the taija outfit underneath. Pulling her hair back into a ponytail, she sniffled back threatening tears as Miroku placed a comforting hand on her shoulder.

Nodding, she held her haraikotsu over her shoulder readily.

"Alright, everyone!" Inuyasha called to them, "Here they come!"

They all stood ready as the dark cloud descended upon them, and the insects were soon swarming around the group, almost creating a cage for the battle arena.

Kohaku slowly stood up from his kneeling position, and stared blankly at the Inu-tachi. Sango took the first step towards him.

"Brother. . .what is it that you. . ." He continued to look at her with the same, emotionless façade. Slowly, but surely, he lifted his curved blade to point at her.

"I'm here for," The blade's point moved from Sango, to Kagome, and Inuyasha's eyes widened in anger. "Her." He answered in a monotone voice.

~ ^_^ ~

He fingered the glossy photo as if straightening imaginary wrinkles. Gently running over the lines of Kagome's face as if he could almost feel her soft skin through the picture. Sighing, Sesshomaru slipped the strip of film back to its' place in the book, right beside the blue forget-me-not flower she had also given him so long ago. He ran a claw over each reminder he had of her, and almost scoffed.

Not too long ago, he would've wanted more than anything to just rid himself of the mere thought of her. But now. . .now he cherished every memory, every moment he got to spend with her. The very idea of having himself eradicated of her was. . .utterly heinous. Even if the pain of knowing that she belonged to another tormented him, he felt he wouldn't trade it for the world. For he, the once cold, unfeeling Taiyoukai of the West, had tasted what it was like to be in love. And for what it was worth, he embraced the pain.

"Sesshomaru-sama?" The demon lord drew from his musings to look down at the girl tugging on his sleeve. Rin looked up at her surrogate father with pleading eyes, her stuffed bear clutched in one hand. He patted her head.

"What is it, Rin?" He asked her gently, leading her over to where the cushions were. He sat down, and she readily climbed onto his lap, snuggling into his fur, and looking up at his tired, flawless face.

"Why is Sesshomaru-sama sad?" She asked innocently, and Sesshomaru looked at her in the same expressionless way. But it was clear to the child, that even though his mask told her otherwise, his eyes shone with a deep longing and sadness---one that could only be associated when missing someone.

"Rin misses Kagome-neesan too," Was all she said, burying her face into his tail. The demon lord held the little girl closer, and ruffled her hair affectionately. Although she was only a child of seven, he found her to be wise beyond her years. She simply lacked the vocabulary to express her thoughts, but it took just the simplest of her words to understand how she felt.

Sesshomaru felt a light tug on his tail, and averted his gaze back to Rin, who gave him a questioning look.

"Sesshomaru-sama, if things were different. . .Does Sesshomaru-sama think Kagome-neesan could be Rin's okaa-san?" It was all he could do to just stare at her, not knowing how to respond. His thoughts wandered briefly as a mental image flashed in his mind of them being a family. But just as quickly, he shook himself out of such ridiculous fantasies. `Do not dwell on such wishes,' he chided himself. But he could not bring himself to say the same to the little girl in his lap.

"If things were different, Rin," He started, "Perhaps she could have." Satisfied with the answer, the little girl gave her Sesshomaru-sama a comforting, toothy grin, and crawled off of his lap.

"Sesshomaru-sama, come with Rin and pick flowers!" She urged enthusiastically. Resisting the temptation to sigh in affectionate annoyance, he got up from his seat to take her hand as she lead the way to the gardens. But halfway to the door, Sesshomaru stopped and the child found herself trying to move a completely frozen demon lord.

He lifted his nose to the air, and sniffed in the scent of a certain wind sorceress. Growling slightly, he turned tightened his hold on Rin's hand.

"Go to Jaken, and stay with him. Do not go outside, do you understand? Stay in your room," He ordered her. Not fully understanding, she nodded and ran off in search of her green toad of a gaurdian.

A huge gust of demonic wind blew, and rattled the windows of his library. Sending a glaring gaze in the direction of the balcony, the windows burst open, and there standing under the orange sky of the setting sun, was the silhouette of Kagura.

A low growl formed in the back of his throat at the sight of her.

"Wench, you are trespassing," He stated simply. Kagura jumped from her perch and entered the room.

"I'm not here to do any harm," She said calmly, "I have some information for you concerning Naraku." Before she could step any closer, Sesshomaru had drawn Tokijin from his sash and had it promptly pointed at her.

"I have no business with that hanyou's spawn, and I could care less about him. Leave in peace, or I shall see to it that you leave in pieces," He warned her icily, his cold mask firmly in place. Kagura smirked, her fan opening to cover her smile.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," She said in a singsong voice, causing the demon lord to narrow his eyes in anger. His grip on Tokijin tightened, sending a single electric blade to cut the side of Kagura's cheek. She glared at him.

"Give me one good reason why I shouldn't slay you where you stand." Folding her fan, her face dead set serious, she let out a breath she had not even realized she had been holding in.

"It involves your miko, and if you truly care for her-even just a bit, you'll listen to what I have to say." Sesshomaru glared at the wind sorceress before him, and sniffed her scent slightly. She wasn't lying. His eyes never left her face as he lowered the blade.

"Continue," he said expressionlessly.

~ ^_^ ~

They were winning. . .they were actually winning. Inuyasha felt a sudden sense of triumph come over him, as his Tetsusaiga slashed through rows and rows of Naraku's demons. He watched with a sense of pride as his friends, though wounded pretty badly, were faring quite well on their own. Perhaps this was it, this was the day that they'd defeat Naraku.

"Kaze no Kizu!" Inuyasha yelled out, slashing through the wind scar and slaughtering the remaining youkai. They disintegrated until there was nothing left, and throwing a smirk at their "general" he held the Tetsusaiga over his shoulder.

"Heh," guess your army' gone," He said in a cocky tone at Kohaku. The others quickly ran to his side, and awaited for what would happen next. It was just him now, Kohaku, and Sango felt relief well inside her at finally being able to free him. But before she could run to her younger brother, Kagome stopped her.

"No, Sango!" She said sternly, and the two girls gazed back to what was in front of them. From seemingly out of nowhere, Naraku in his trademark baboon pelt stepped out of the shadows and besides Kohaku. An eerie fog began to form all around them, but even in the white haze, they could still see him smirking through the miasma.

"Naraku," Inuyasha breathed, his voice dripped in hatred. He only chuckled in response.

"Happy to see me?" He asked in an almost pleasant voice. Kagome glared at him, while Inuyasha stepped in front of her.

"It ends today, Naraku!" He spat. The hanyou only smirked wider, and he lifted a hand to wrap around Kohaku's neck. Sango's eyes widened in fear.

"No! Don't!" She cried out. This only caused him to laugh and he slipped off his mask, crimson eyes glinting malevolently at the group.

"Don't what? End his life? He has already died, my dear Sango. All I have to do to send him back to the grave is. . ." His hand slipped from Kohakus' neck to his back, where she knew the jewel shard to be embedded.

"Stop!" Kagome shouted, and Naraku did just that, staring amusedly at the feisty girl.

"How about we trade? Your miko, for this boy?" He watched as pure shock ran through each and everyone of them.

"NO FUCKING WAY, BASTARD!" Inuyasha lunged towards him, only to be pinned to a tree by an outstretched tentacle. Wincing in pain, he sent daggers over at the hanyou.

"Stay out of this," He said smugly. "Interfere, and I'll pierce it right through your bleeding heart."

Kagome's chest tightened as her eyes averted from Kohaku to Inuyasha. Then to the torn Sango beside her, who had a stream of tears falling from her brown orbs. Swallowing, she knew she had no choice, and stepped towards Naraku.

"No, Kagome, what're you doing?!" Sango asked, clutching her arm. Miroku too, was giving her a rather shocked and confused look.

"I have to, Sango. For Kohaku. . .and Inuyasha. . ." She whispered.

"No! I won't let you!" Shippo clung onto his mother, and cried freely into her clothing. But in an instant all of her friends were seemingly swatted away, as she felt strong tentacles wrap around her frame, and pulling her towards the evil hanyou.

"It's a deal then," Naraku breathed. Kagome glared at him, looking back at her friends sprawled, injured, on the forest floor.

"You, bastard," Inuyasha spat. Laughing insanely, Naraku took to the sky, taking Kagome and Kohaku along with him.

~ ^_^ ~

He ran using his demonic speed, hoping to reach her in time before it was too late. According to Kagura, Naraku was planning to. . . `Kami I hope she's safe,' he hoped against hope. As the smell of Naraku became stronger, his pace became faster. He had to see for himself if she was safe. That she wasn't in Naraku's clutches.

`I can't lose her!' A miasma was beginning to fog the area, and Sesshomaru knew he was close. He came to an area heavily scented with the smell of blood, tears, and Naraku. But it also lingered with a scent he recognized to be Kagome's. Growling, he scanned the area to see Inuyasha and his companions lying wounded on the deserted battlefield. Except one person was missing. `No. . .'

His eyes grew blood red, as he stormed to where his half-brother struggled to stand, and in an instant, he had Inuyasha held into the air by the scruff of his front hoari.

"WHERE IS SHE?!"

End Chapter ^_^

CF: O_O What a horrible place to leave it!

Yume: I know, aren't I evil? Now everyone will have to wait a week to find out what happens next!

CF: Does Yume-sama have a death wish? `Cuz at this rate, CF has a feeling readers will hunt you down. . .

Yume: If they kill me, how will they know what happens?

CF: (sigh) Whatever, as long as CF gets chocolate as inheritance, CF is happy! ^_^ Kap-king!

Review Responses:

~Fanfiction.net

Duchesscarml, mari333, fluffyduck, TigerPrincess1, H Faith, MoonlightPrincess, Spaztic Wolf, ami, inuyasha and kagome forever, Sweetcece, Catgirl Kuri, Sangami, Emberkitty 1424, HellzAznGrl, Why?What?Shutup, Delphine Pryde, TrappedXDarkness, kaeko, CreSentMoOn99, wolf, Kura Maikoda, Kagome loves Inuyasha, Psycho Sakura, Kaela, the Tiger Demoness, psycolady101, Sesshomaru luv you, Blue-Saiyan-Angel, Noir12, Celena2, tessa3, Ledophole, Jade Garden, Orchidacae, PeachieCat, KCK, Defafaeth Mechqua, Sakura Chou Ryuuen, AnimaAngel, ladihouki, Shadow39, Dragon Rae, Lady-Shippo, Predator_Leigh033, anonymous, dragon-gurl12, Rin6, THANKS, AND I'M COMING AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

DarkPyroPlanet: Thanks for the concern, but I'm pretty sure I won't be bursting into flames soon. Lolz. I don't know whether to do a happy or sad ending, so I'll get back to you on that.

Noeru Inu: lolz, exactly what I was thinking!

Cherry34: Did you say that I write fighting scenes well? (laughs hysterically) Ah. . .good one.

Perro: Wowies, I never analyzed my story like THAT before. WOW. You always make my day, Perro! I'm glad to say you're like one of my most favorite reviewers! ^_^

Familia-Ficz: I didn't want the mental image either. . .(shudder) Yes, Inu does need to get over himself. I was surprised at how many people liked the idea of Kagura being a good guy.

Chito Mitako a.k.a Nara: That's very true, and it'll come!

Fire goddess5: Hmm, I've never actually thought of Koga and Kagura together before. Very interesting! All I can say is maybe! ^_^

Dreamcatcher5: I know, updates seem so bothersome sometimes, but it has to be done! You have great work as always, and I will always support your fics!

Kitsune-chan3: Sorry, these days I feel that review responses aren't always necessary if they're short. . .

Sesshoumarulover713: Thanks for all of the fruit baskets! I love your fics, as always!

Mistress Fluffy: Sorry about the hugs, man. But like I said, she did love him first. ^_^;

AnImEfReAk81: Thanks for understanding, but I always feel like I should be prompt!

Bloodbunny: Agh, we're all entitled to evil things. . .you can keep my book of insane thoughts if you want.

Katain Masaya: Yeah, I always thought Kagura was cool too, and deserves some credit.

~Mediaminer.org

powerpuffbarbie, ice princess 1185, Mkryssian, lil sesshi, trihn, InuGirl0584 , Inuphoria, THANKS!

Kitsune Bi: Don't worry, he'll die. I promise.

Striking Falcon: (bows) Thank you soooo much once more for CF! She does wonders for me! Glad to hear you found those discs! Send an evil glare from me to Silver Fox for me kay? Oh, and CF sends one too.

Miyumi-chan: Of course this is a Sess/Kag pairing! How can you even ask that?

Crescent Moon 22000: Wow, when you put it that way, I kinda want Inu to burn in hell too. ^_^

Sweetapple: The answer is simple; because he's an ass.

~Sesshomaru the Killing Perfection

Pianita: Thanks for your kind words. I try the best I can.

Niamha: I know, my friends aren't into them being together either. Psssh, they're missing out. . .

END NOTE!

Yume: Alrighty then! Next chapter should prove to be interesting, ne?

CF: Yume! Yume! Tell them! Tell them!

Yume: About what?

CF: ABOUT THE THING! CUZ IT'S IMPORTANT, CUZ IT'S A THING, AND YEAH!

Yume: Oh! I plan to post a new story up soon starring Sess/Kag of course. Look out for it soon!

CF: (puffs out chest) It was ALL CF's idea! ^_^

~Ja Ne! ^_^