InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fuyu no Shimekiri ❯ Intrusion of Reality ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Chapter 5: Intrusion of Reality

Sesshoumaru awoke early the next morning, well-rested, and happier than he could ever remember being, and for a moment, he couldn't understand why... and then the memory of everything that had happened yesterday filled his mind, and he rose swiftly from his bed, determined to see to his business early, so he could spend the rest of the day with his miko.

However, by the time he'd finished with reading through the stacks of scrolls deposited on his desk that morning, he was livid.

Damn the Northern Lord! What ever made that fool think I would take his insipid daughter as a mate? And to send a message stating his intention of arriving this very day, with said daughter, to commence a courtship?! I will kill him for his insolence!

And if that's not bad enough, I'd forgotten that the Eastern Lord was due to arrive today as well for a conference!
He sighed irritably... he'd never much cared for Koga, the Eastern Lord, personally, but they were allies, especially since neither of them could stand the Southern Lord, and weren't much fonder of Hikari, the Northern Lord. He'd much rather deal with Koga, he'd have to admit.

He just didn't want to deal with anyone right now, not while he was courting his chosen - and Kami only knew how Kagome would react to this mess with the Northern Lord and his daughter.

No, I'll not allow her to be upset... not by anyone. When the two fools arrive, I will introduce them to Kagome, make sure the idiot knows his little plans are to no avail, then toss them both out of my home. And if he objects, an evil smile crossed his face, I will gladly kill him and be done with it.

Stacking all his scrolls neatly on his desk, he stood and exited his study, done with business for the day. Most of the rest of those things could wait for a while, and they would, because he had no intentions of locking himself away in his study working while Kagome waited for him.

Striding swiftly through the halls of his shiro, he thought of the things that he would need to attend to due to his upcoming mating. First and foremost, his mother would need to be notified. He was unsure just how she would respond... more than likely, she would be impressed with Kagome's power, and the fact that she was as immortal as either of them. And maybe she wouldn't be so against it - after all, she knew of Rin, and had actually brought her back from the dead for his sake. He sighed. Only time would tell on that aspect of things, so he moved on to the next item on his mental list.

Formally notifying the other Cardinal Lords. Not that I care one way or the other what they think, but I will not shame Kagome by making it look as though I do not hold her as valuable enough to follow the customs. No one will be able to question her status, nor her place as Lady and my mate. I will never tolerate disrespect to her in any form.

Then, of course, there would be the formal dinner he would have to host to officially announce the mating itself, once the courtship was over and he'd actually mated her. It would be her first appearance as his mate and Lady of the West... he was not worried, however. He knew she would do her position justice without a doubt. When she so chose, she had a regal bearing without being the least bit arrogant - it was just one of the reasons she drew so many to her.

He had no doubts whatsoever... he couldn't have chosen better, not if he'd spent the next millenium searching could he have found a better match for himself - that was his opinion anyway, and that's all that counted.

He finally found her, sitting in the formal gardens, apparently meditating. He decided he could wait, and taking a seat nearby, he calmly watched over her.

It wasn't long however, before a disturbance from the entryway of the shiro announced the arrival of the Northern Lord... and Sesshoumaru scowled. As Kagome finally opened her eyes, he wiped all expression from his face and stood, holding a hand out to her, pulling her to her feet as she placed her hand in his.

"I am truly sorry, koi, to disturb you, but there is a certain matter that needs both our attentions. The Northern Lord has brought his horrid daughter here to attempt to force me into mating her - you will accompany this Sesshoumaru to the shiro's formal reception room." A slightly raised brow showed his displeasure at the interruption. "I would introduce you to them - by the time they leave here, they will be sure that their machinations are completely wasted. They, and all others will know beyond a shadow of a doubt, exactly who will be the next Lady of the West."

Kagome allowed him to pull her along, blushing at the knowledge that he wanted her... and was not afraid to show it to the world. It felt good to be wanted so openly, and she couldn't help but smile.

Sesshoumaru, on the other hand, was extremely annoyed. It wasn't just that the two irritating youkai sitting in his reception room had invaded his home. It was the reason that they had done so. That they had the nerve to attempt to back he, Sesshoumaru, into a corner, was unforgivable. He was sorely tempted to challenge Hikari to a duel to his death for the disrespect. However, Sesshoumaru did not really feel like having to take over the Lordship of the Northern lands after Hikari found his death at the business end of Bakusaiga.

He allowed a small frown to cross his face. Maybe he should just sweep in, introduce Kagome as his future mate, then have them thrown out. He was personally attracted to this plan, since it would get them out of his way sooner than any other option.

I don't want to waste any more time on the fools than absolutely necessary.

Kagome looked up at him and smiled uncertainly as they reached the doors into the reception room. "Are you sure I should come in with you, Sesshoumaru? I mean, they really aren't expecting to see me, only you."

He raised a slender, silver brow haughtily. "I do not care what they are expecting. Nor should you. You are my Lady, and I desire your presence - they will accept that, or I will throw them out."

"Hmm. Very well, then, my Lord. Lead the way."

"Kagome," he said warningly, "do not make me repeat myself. Is it truly so difficult to call me by my given name?"

"Only when you are being arrogant, Sesshoumaru. When you say things like your previous comment, it absolutely screams for formality." She glanced at him from the corner of her eye, a tiny smile curling the corner of her mouth. "I'm ready. Shall we?"

He gave her a promising sort of look. "We will continue this later, my little miko." With that, he pushed open the doors and entered the room, keeping hold of her arm in an openly proprietary manner.

He truly did not care what the Northern Lord thought... if he were smart, he would back off, if not, he would die.