InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fuyu no Shimekiri ❯ Overprotective Much? ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Chapter 6: Over Protective Much?

Kagome was smiling as she entered the room on Sesshoumaru's arm, although she knew that this little scene was not going to be pleasant, she was not going to be the one to start the hostilities, so, when she was hit with a wave of hatred and dark jyaki, she was actually prepared, and didn't react negatively.

Hikari sneered when he caught sight of the woman on Sesshoumaru's arm. A human, although her scent spoke of something other, something neither youkai nor ningen. That mattered not, however. He stepped forward and glared at the Western Lord.

"What foolishness is this, Sesshoumaru? You know why we are here, to discuss your mating with my daughter. How do you dare to bring this ningen female into our presence this way? That is an insult to me, and to my daughter!"

Sesshoumaru's eyes flashed red for an instant, and he gently pushed Kagome behind him before moving in a swirl of white silk, pinning the Northern Lord to the wall by his throat.

Rage poured off his aura, and he glared into the eyes of the male before him. Jaw clenched tightly, crests writhing unevenly across his cheeks, he looked every bit the deadly predator he was in that moment, and Kagome was sure that someone was about to die. She wasn't far off... if she had not been there, the older youkai male would, indeed, be dead. The only thing that saved him was her presence, for Sesshoumaru refused to dishonor her by gutting someone with her in the room.

Voice made harsh, gutteral with rage, he spoke. "Never disrespect my chosen mate again, Hikari, or you will die. You dare to enter my home and try to force me into a mating with your insipid daughter?! I should destroy you - and if you ever darken my door again with your useless presence, I will." Sesshoumaru turned and threw the hapless male towards the door. "Get out. You and your daughter have exactly one day to be off my lands, if you are not, I will hunt you down and kill you."

Kagome was shocked, truthfully, at the level of rage that the insult to her had provoked in Sesshoumaru, and apparently, so was the daughter of the Northern Lord, because she burst out shrilly, "But, Lord Sesshoumaru! She is merely a filthy ningen! Why would you choose her over me?"

Sesshoumaru whirled towards the screeching female with a look of disgust on his normaly placid features. "Silence! You are ignorant - the Lady Kagome is no mere ningen, you foolish bitch, she is the Shikon no Tama in the flesh, and carries far more power than you ever will!" Casting a disdainful look at the male youkai pulling himself from the floor, he stalked back over to Kagome and took his place at her side. "Even if that were not the case, still I would mate her, ningen or not, she is always, and will always be, Kagome to me. If she had no power to her, she would still be worth a thousand of you!"

The Northern Lord stood, rage and humiliation pouring off him. "This will be war, you arrogant young bastard, make no mistake. I will destroy your house for this insult!"

"Hn. You are too weak to defeat me, Hikari... if you try you will only hasten the fall of your own house. Do what you will, it makes no difference to me. It will take no effort at all to see you dead before me." He turned away from him, leaving the Northern Lord facing his back - a deadly insult in youkai society. To do so showed that you felt the person you were turning your back on was weak, powerless, beneath your notice. Hikari knew exactly what was meant, and with an enraged bellow, he rushed forward, claws extended.

He never stood a chance. Sesshoumaru didn't even look at him as he threw up a barrier of youki that stopped the older male in his tracks, making sure to trap the fool's terrified daughter in the barrier with him.

Calling for his guards, he gave orders for the two to be thrown from the grounds of the shiro, re-iterating his warning for them to be gone from his lands within one day. He completely ignored Hikari's enraged threats - the bastard had upset his Lady, and he would pay dearly for that mistake, if he was caught still within Western Lands after his time was up.

Kagome was stunned - all that had taken place in the span of just over a minute.
She looked over at him, unsure of what to say.

Sesshoumaru turned to her and, pulling her around to face him, ran a claw-tipped finger gently across her bottom lip. When she met his eyes, he spoke. "Are you okay, koi? I apologize for that scene - you should not have been witness to such dishonor. Will you forgive me?" he asked softly.

She gave him a small smile. "It wasn't your fault, don't apologize." She shook her head, still trying to get over his rage. "I didn't realize you would be so - so... over-protective, though. All I can say is - wow."

He tilted a regal brow, giving her an enigmatic look. "Are you sure that I was being over-protective? I don't see it that way, koi. You are my Lady. There is no such thing as overly protective where you are concerned - I will always protect what is mine, and that effort will always command my full strength."

Before Kagome could even finish processing that answer, the doors opened again, and Sesshoumaru turned towards them questioningly. The guard bowed and spoke. "My Lord, the Eastern Lord has arrived. Should I escort him in now?"

Sighing internally, Sesshoumaru nodded. "Do so." He glanced at Kagome. "Come, koi. Your place is at my side."

She nodded, taking his proffered arm, she waited with him as the Eastern Lord was escorted into the room. She was smiling - but the smile dropped off her face as the Lord came to a shocked halt at sight of her and stared. Wide-eyed, she stared at him, equally shocked. "K-koga?"

Koga was more stunned than he had ever been in his entire life. After Naraku had been defeated, he'd gone looking for the young miko, only to be told by her former companions that she had returned to her home beyond the well, and would not be coming back. Heartbroken, he had managed to get the kit to tell him just how far in the future she was... and had been determined to wait for her. And yet, here she stood, looking the same as she had a hundred and forty years ago, on the arm of the Western Lord - and wearing his courting mark, no less. He was so shocked he could barely breathe.

Sesshoumaru growled low in his throat when he realized that Kagome knew the ookami Lord, pulling her possessively closer as he scented the almost instant arousal from the other male. Gaze flaring red, he pinned the ookami with a heated look. It was apparent to those in the room that he wouldn't have any problems ripping the youkai to shreds.

"Speak, wolfling. What is your connection with Kagome? How is it that you know her?"

Koga glanced uneasily at Kagome, then back to the very angry Inu Lord standing in front of him. He knew inu's were very protective and possessive of their chosen females, as were ookami like him, but this was over the top, and he knew he needed to be very careful how he handled this conversation.

Drawing a deep, calming breath, he spoke. "We met, uh, back during the time she was traveling with Inuyasha and her other friends, looking for shards and hunting Naraku. I took her away from the mutt because I needed her help with some enemies of my tribe that we were battling - their leader had jewel shards, and since she could see them..." he trailed off.

Kagome tightened her grip on Sesshoumaru's arm to get his attention, and nodded when Koga finished speaking. "It's okay, my Lord. He's telling you the truth." She smiled up at him, then looked back over at Koga. "I'm just surprised to see Koga, that's all. I didn't know he was a Lord."

Sesshoumaru nodded in understanding, calming slightly. "I take it you also are surprised, Lord Koga. Why is that?"

"Yeah, you could say that." He looked at Kagome and smiled. "What exactly happened to you after the battle with Naraku all those years ago? I went looking for you after it was all over, and found the mutt with that creepy undead priestess of his. He told me that you had gone home to your time and wouldn't be returning." He growled suddenly.

"Was he lying to me?"