InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fuyu no Shimekiri ❯ Possessively Yours ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Chapter 7: Possessively Yours

Koga was angry. No, it was more than that. He was angry, and frightened. Yes, frightened. Standing before him, possessively being held up against the side of the powerful Western Lord, was the only woman he'd ever loved. How was he going to get her away from him?

It was obvious that Kagome was very special to him... and he knew, suddenly, with a sick sinking in his heart, that she was probably lost to him forever. Desperately trying to maintain a pleasant demeanor, he smiled again, and waited for her to speak. He really wanted to know how she had ended up here, and where she'd been for all these years.

Kagome shook her head quickly, smiling sadly back at him. "No, Koga, he wasn't. They all thought that I'd gone home after wishing Kikyou back to life. I let them think so, but the truth of the matter is that as soon as I made the wish, the well closed and I was trapped here."

She sighed then. "I disappeared, went north, and ended up spending about forty years as the miko for a tiny village practically at the end of the world up in the mountains." She smiled up at Sesshoumaru, before looking back over at Koga. "By the time I hit sixty, though, I'd had enough. I was tired, and lonely, I guess you could say. So I willed myself to death - or so I thought." She shrugged lightly. "Turns out I was only sleeping. Sesshoumaru brought me here and watched over me while I snoozed for the last hundred years or so, then I woke up the other day... and here I am. End of story."

"But how is that possible? You're human, and humans usually don't live that long."

"After I'd wished on the jewel, it integrated itself with my body, and since it didn't want to have to keep looking for a new protector every few decades, it made me immortal."

Koga blinked, trying to assimilate everything she'd just said. "Kagome, if you were so lonely, you know, before... why didn't you come to me? You knew I loved you, I'd stated so in front of my entire tribe. There was no need for you to be alone!" He ignored the low warning growl that came from Sesshoumaru for the moment.

Kagome smiled sweetly at Koga, but shook her head. "It was never an option for me, you know that. I only ever saw you as a friend, Koga. My heart, at that time," she stressed, with a pointed look at the Inu Lord listening to her words, "belonged solely to Inuyasha, and I could not have given myself to anyone else. I just couldn't have."

Koga closed his eyes sadly for a minute, nodding, then looked back at her. "And now? Has your heart changed then? Does it no longer belong to that stupid mutt? Because I can tell you, the last time I saw him, I guess about a year ago now, he told me that that creepy bitch of his was dead, again, and the mere mention of your name literally brought him to his knees. I know if you were to go to him now, he'd get down and beg for a second chance with you."

At this, Sesshoumaru let out a snarl of rage. "He will never have that chance! I will not allow it!"

Wide-eyed, Kagome looked up at him, almost struck speechless at his display of jealousy. She knew she'd better answer that question quickly before he decided to go hunt his brother down and kill him immediately.

"No, Koga, I'm not interested in Inuyasha any longer. I guess a hundred-year sleep is a great way to get over someone, because what he does in his life is his business, and no concern of mine. I wish him well, and hope he finds happiness, but it won't be with me. I have," here she smiled encouragingly at the gorgeous male eyeing her, "a new interest, and I'm happy where I am." Hopefully, that will calm him down...

"Hn." Sesshoumaru could feel his youkai calm at her statement, finally beginning to be convinced that the male before him, and his brother, were no threat to his dominance of his chosen female. He glanced at the ookami Lord disinterestedly. "If you see the half-breed again, you will tell him that Kagome lives - and warn him to stay away. She is mine."

Koga nodded, suddenly feeling old and tired. So much for my hopes for a future with her... I guess it just wasn't meant to be, but, oh, how it hurts to see her with another.

Drawing a deep breath, he suddenly remembered the scene he'd witnessed when he'd arrived. He'd had a difficult time not laughing his ass off as he'd witnessed the pompous Northern Lord and his insufferable bitch of a daughter literally being thrown out of Sesshoumaru's front gates.

"So what was that with that old fool Hikari and what's-her-face, you know, his daughter? Never could remember the bitch's name."

Sesshoumaru narrowed his eyes at the reminder. "He thought to entrap me into mating said bitch, and was not happy when he found that I would not cooperate. He insulted my intended - and for that, he has been denied access to my lands, and I will never enter into an alliance with him for any reason."

Koga grinned at that. "No loss there, I dare say. He's weak, you don't need him anyway."

As Sesshoumaru nodded, Kagome smiled up at him. "My Lord, may I please sit down? I am finding that I'm somewhat tired."

He frowned down at her, Koga momentarily forgotten. "What's wrong? Are you ill?"

She shook her head soothingly. "No, Sesshoumaru, I'm fine - but remember, I only woke up yesterday. My body hasn't moved in a hundred years... it's probably going to take a while to regain all my strength."

"Very well, koi." Glancing at Koga as he turned and led the way to several artfully placed cushions along one alcoved wall, he gestured for him to take a seat as he gently lowered Kagome, and then settled next to her. "Tell me, Lord Koga, what brings you here? I only received your missive yesterday, and it did not mention a reason for this meeting."

Koga growled in irritation. "As I'm sure you know, I've had my wolves keeping an eye on the Southern Lands for the last several years." At Sesshoumaru's nod, he continued. "Recently, they've discovered that the Southern Lord has been recalling his soldiers one garrison at a time to his shiro, for intensive combat training. He's also refurbishing their armor and weapons as well."

Koga sighed. "We both know what an ass Hikari is, but Hebikuro is dangerous, if only for his ambitions. I decided to come myself because I know for a fact he's got spies in both our lands, and I didn't want to take the chance of a messenger getting caught."

Sesshoumaru sat back and considered what he'd been told. The Southern snake was, at best, a feeble personal opponent, especially for him, as the snake's strongest attacks were poison based. Sesshoumaru himself, as a poison youkai, had always been immune to any kind of poison attack. However, a war at this time was not welcome - he wanted nothing to interfere with his courtship of Kagome.

Irritation began setting in. Damn all these idiots! Couldn't they cause trouble some other time?

Catching the ookami's gaze, he said, "I will have a room prepared for you in the guest wing. I will think on what you have told me, and we can speak more tomorrow."

Koga nodded, and standing, smiled at Kagome. "My Lady, I will see you at dinner, I am sure. Until then?" He bowed, then turned and left the room.

Kagome turned on her pillow and looked up at her Lord. "Sesshoumaru, what are you going to do?"

"I am daiyoukai, Kagome, there is no need to fear. Whether alone, or all together, the other Cardinal Lords cannot overcome me, nor can their armies succeed against mine." At her chuckle and knowing look, he tilted his head in a slight bow and smirked at her. "Do not speak again of arrogance, Lady. If I chose to do so, I could rule all of Nippon... I simply do not choose to do so. Why do you think the Northern Lord was so eager to bond our houses together by mating? He fears my power, fears what would happen should I ever decide I did want all of Nippon."

He shrugged carelessly. "He is an old fool. Mated to his daughter or not, if I chose to rule I would still kill him and take his lands. He should know that by now - I take what I want, when I want it." Looking off into the distance thoughtfully, he shook his head. "I meant what I told you yesterday, Kagome." Sesshoumaru turned the full force of his gorgeous golden eyes on her. "I no longer have an interest in Supreme Conquest. That pursuit would only take away from the time I could spend with you, and then, there is also the undeniable fact of all the extra work I would be taking on if I chose to rule Nippon in it's entirety."

She held his gaze, asking sotly, "Are you sure, Sesshoumaru? Because I am not suited to being the mate of a Conquerer. I've no desire to rule over anything more than a home."

He waved his hand dismissively. "I am sure, Kagome. I've no interest in such any longer."

Kagome laughed up at him then. "And what was all that angst and growling and jealousy back there?" She shook her head at his bland look.

"Possessive much?"

---oOo---

A/N: hebikuro literally means dark snake.