InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fuyu no Shimekiri ❯ Reunion of a Mother and Son ( Chapter 10 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Chapter 10: Reunion of a Mother and Son

Inuyasha walked, aimlessly, for several days, unable to stop, because everytime he did, the pain only welled up stronger... he was running from it, and he knew it, and even though common sense told him he couldn't run from it forever, he was determined to try.

By the time he'd come back to himself, he found he'd stumbled into a small battle... what looked to be several snakes were attacking a young kitsune, and without thinking about it, he jumped in and started shredding snakeflesh - kami knew, he needed something to destroy, and snakes were a good bet, since everyone knew they were bad news.

It wasn't until it was all over that he realized that the kitsune he'd just helped out was very familiar... and as they stared at each other, it all crashed down on him again, and the pain in his heart was echoed across his face for all to see - and even Shippo couldn't hold his anger when he saw the hanyou's face.

"So... Inuyasha... it's been a long time. How are you?" Shippo felt so awkward - it had been a hundred and forty years since he'd spoken a word to the inu-hanyou, and now, he just didn't know what to say.

Inuyasha stared at the kitsune, memories of happier times, times when Kagome had been his, flashed through his mind, and he knew he needed to pass on the information of Kagome's apparent revival to Shippo. After all, he'd loved Kagome too, and he'd loved her better, because he'd never turned his back on her.

"I've been better, Shippo. You look well, though." He sighed, despair turning in his mind. "Look, I've got some information for you. All I ask is that after you take advantage of what I'm about to tell you, you look me up and tell me about it, ok?" Ignoring the kitsune's confused look, he continued.

"I ran into Koga a few days ago, and he'd just come from Sesshoumaru's palace. Apparently, somehow, Kagome's back - he said she's alive again," he finished, over Shippo's gasp.

Shippo couldn't believe his ears as unfiltered joy stormed through his heart. Kagome? She's alive?! "Inuyasha, I - what do you want from me?"

The hanyou bowed his head and turned, getting ready to move away. "Just that, after you've visited her, you track me down and... I want to hear everything you can tell me about her. I know I don't deserve it but I... need as much as I can get of her, even if it's only words."

Shippo looked sadly at the hanyou he'd secretly looked up to so long ago, and nodded. "I will. Don't go too far, though - I don't want to have to spend a year tracking you down. Give me a week or so, and I'll see you again."

Inuyasha merely nodded quietly, then moved slowly off, shoulders hunched and visible pain flowing off his aura in waves. Shippo couldn't help but wonder what had happened to his one time friend, and where that nasty woman he'd mated had gone.

But he pushed all those thoughts away as his mind returned to what Inuyasha had told him, and once again, joy pulsed through him as he took his bearings and disappeared into the night. Damn waiting till morning to continue on, if he started now, he'd be at Sesshoumaru's by tomorrow, noon.

As he ran through the night, questions pushed through his mind. How had she been returned to them? Had it been Tensaiga? He didn't think it could have been - the sword of heaven could only call a newly deceased soul back - and it'd been far too long for that, right? Had Sesshoumru found a way? Some sorcery, perhaps? Too many questions, not enough answers, and as frustrating as all the conjecture was, he decided to put it out of his mind as he finally came within sight of the Western Lord's shiro.

Coming to a halt, he wondered what he'd find when he got inside. Obviously, she's staying here, and Inuyasha, for some reason, doesn't think she'll welcome him. I wonder... narrowing his eyes in thought, he realized that it was very possible that the standoffish Lord would want to mate the beautiful young miko. Although he'd never said as much, his actions spoke volumes, and Shippo began to understand just why Inuyasha wouldn't come himself.

Not that he deserves her anyway, even if he's on the outs with his mate, he's still mated, and even if he weren't, he still doesn't deserve her. He had his chance, and even though I don't want him to suffer, in all ways, he brought it on himself.

Sighing, the young youkai moved down to the path that would take him to the gates of the shiro, determined to see Kagome, and his heart picked up it's pace with excitement as he reached them and was waved through. His nose picked up her scent almost the moment he passed through the gates, and following his nose, he practically ran through the halls of Sesshoumaru's palace, not caring if he offended anyone in his rush to find her, and finally, he tracked her scent to a small garden near the family wing of the palace as he came to a halt.

And there she was in all her glory, laughing up at a smiling Sesshoumaru himself, and he took a step forward, mesmerized...

"Kagome," he whispered, "it really is true, you're back!"

Sesshoumaru noticed him first, and with a slight smirk, looked down at the woman on his arm. "Tell me, koi, would you like to see your kit?"

Kagome stared up at him with a confused expression. "You know I would, Maru-chan, we talked about this a while ago. You told me he'd probably be here soon... why?"

He nodded his head towards the doors leading back into the shiro, and turned her in their direction. "Because, my miko, soon is - now."

She looked away from him to the place he was indicating, and her eyes widened, and her heart almost stopped. There stood the most handsome kitsune she'd ever seen, and it was immediately obvious exactly who he was. She put a hand out towards him, and tried to speak, joyful tears running down her face, but she couldn't get her voice to work, and so settled for running at the young youkai, arms wide and aching to hold him.

As soon as she ran at him, he opened his arms and braced for impact, tears also running down his face, and a huge smile lighting his expression. "Kagome... momma... I've missed you so much," he managed to choke out, before his voice failed him.

They stood there holding onto each other for dear life for several minutes, until finally, Sesshoumaru, who'd stayed back to give them a few minutes, stepped forward and cleared his throat. "I know you see her as your mother, kitsune, however, this Sesshoumaru is not appreciative of the hold you have on my intended."

Shippo shook his head and pushed away from Kagome just slightly. "So it's true then - you're courting her?"

Sesshoumaru nodded. "I am."

Kagome mock glared at the daiyoukai. "Sesshoumaru," she said, a disappointed note in her voice, "don't act that way, he's my son, not a rival. How many times do I have to tell you that you don't have any rivals?"

Shippo dropped his arms and stepped back, shaking his head. "It's okay, momma. It's the nature of the courting beast. And especially the inu courting beast." He raised a mocking brow at her, laughter clear in his voice. "I hope you know that it won't get any better once your actually mated - he'll only get more possessive."

Kagome laughed. "I know," she flashed a mocking glance at Sesshoumaru, "and I'm not so sure I can handle that."

He growled lightly at her, baring his fangs in a mild display of dominance. "It's too late, Kagome... you aren't getting out of it with an excuse like that."

Rolling her eyes, she bared her throat to him, smiling slightly as he lowered his head and licked lightly under her chin in acceptance of her submission. "I'm not trying to get out of anything, Maru-chan, merely poking fun. I'd imagine you'll get used to it after a while."

Shippo laughed at the picture the two of them made... and then sobered slightly when he realized that Inuyasha's unspoken fears were completely justified. Kagome now belonged heart and soul to his hated brother - it was obvious just looking at her that she was fast falling for the powerful youkai lord.

Sesshoumaru caught the look on Shippo's face and frowned as something occurred to him. "Why are you here so soon, kitsune? I was not actually expecting you for another week."

Shippo sighed, and a sad look crossed his face. "I, well," he turned away slightly, not wanting to see Kagome's reaction, "I ran into... Inuyasha. He's the one that told me you were back, momma." He turned back when he felt her hand on his shoulder.

"Shippo, it's okay. Just hearing his name no longer causes me pain. That part of my past is over."

Shippo shook his head. "But it isn't for him, for some reason, Kagome." Catching her eye, he looked sadly at her. "I don't know what's happened in everyones lives, or how things have turned out the way they have but... he's in mourning. He knows, I think, that he's lost you... and it's devastated him."

Sighing, he looked over at Sesshoumaru, noting the slight growl coming from the big daiyoukai. "Sooner or later, you're going to have to deal with him, you do realize that, don't you?"

Sesshoumaru watched Kagome for a moment, then turned to look at Shippo. "Hai. At some point, I am aware we will have to see him."

He shot a hot look at Kagome. "Not, however, until after the mating. On that, I will not be moved."

Shippo grinned, and Kagome turned ten shades of red.

Possessive dog, she thought, a bit of a disgruntled pout crossing her face.

I wonder how he'd like it if I got all possessive.