InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fuyu no Shimekiri ❯ The Loyalty of a Son ( Chapter 11 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Chapter 11: The Loyalty of a Son

"So, tell me, Kitsune, what caused you to finally speak again to that mutt of a brother of mine? I was under the impression you no longer had dealings with him." Sesshoumaru was curious - he was positive that the kitsune hadn't been on speaking terms with the half-breed in all these years.

Shippo shot him a measuring glance... it was obvious the daiyoukai was still unsure about Kagome's feelings for him - and afraid of what would happen if Inuyasha were to appear before he could get her mated and marked.

"I was attacked about a day and half's journey south of here by some snakes - Inuyasha stumbled into the battle and helped me out. That's the first time I've spoken to him since..." he looked over at Kagome quickly, then back at Sesshoumaru, "...well, since Kagome left. After we finished wiping the floor with the damned snakes, he told me what Koga'd told him, then I left him and hurried here."

Sesshoumaru frowned. Snakes. The Southern Lord.

"It seems odd to this Sesshoumaru that the snakes would go out of their way to attack you, kitsune. Would you care to tell me why they did?"

Shippo grinned at him, impressed. The Western Lord was as smart as rumor made him out to be. "They attacked me because I had come from the south with news of their lords' intentions... and they did not want me to reach you with my information, Lord Sesshoumaru."

He leveled a hard stare on the young youkai, weighing his likely reasons for showing loyalty to him. The kitsune, as a tribe, were not usually loyal to any one of the cardinal Lords - they kept to themselves for the most part.

"And so, you come to bring me warning. Why?"

Shippo caught the daiyoukai's gaze with his own, standing straight, he gave an honest answer, none of the kitsune's usual flippancy and trickery evident in his eyes.

"Because you have always given my mother the honor she deserves - you protected her all these years with no hope of any compensation, and it is obvious now, you would give her even more."

Sighing, he turned and looked out over the garden, smiling slightly down at his mother as she again touched his shoulder and smiled lovingly at him.

"That was always my problem with Inuyasha. Oh, he cared about Kagome... but not enough, and not when it counted. And he never showed her the honor she deserves. Not as you have." Looking back at Sesshoumaru, he bowed his head with respect. "For that alone, I would be loyal to you, Lord Sesshoumaru. And of course, if she is going to be your mate, then even more will I tie my fate to your house."

Sesshoumaru nodded once, sharply, bowing his head back with the same respect he was just given. "I would be glad of an alliance with you, Shippo, Leader of the kitsune clan."

Kagome, who'd been silent through the conversation, started at that. "Wait a minute, what? Leader?!" She turned and tugged her son around to face her, giving him a suspicious look when he met her gaze with a sheepish grin. She narrowed her eyes and tilted her head to the side.

"Shippo... is there perhaps something you neglected to mention to me all those years ago?"

"Well... not really, momma. At that time, I was too young to be the leader of the clan - I was just an orphaned kit. It's just since I became an adult that I became the leader," he trailed off as she glared at him, annoyed.

"I can't believe you never told us, Shippo!"

Sesshoumaru broke in before Shippo could respond. "Calm yourself, koi. It is in the rather distant past, is it not? There are more important things to speak of at this time." She nodded and sat back, a slightly disgruntled look still on her face.

"Tell me, Lord Shippo," he smirked just slightly at the kitsune's obvious surprise at his acknowledgement of his status, "what information did you acquire while moving around in the southern lands?"

Kagome's eyes widened. Oh yeah, that's right - Koga spoke about the Southern lands - and spies. Now intrigued, she made a move to sit under the spreading branches of the trees, enjoying the shade as she listened to her son and her Lord speak.

"The Southern Lord intends to invade the West, Lord Sesshoumaru, and once finished with you, he intends to take the East, then of course, the North. While none of us much cares what happens to Hikari, I'm sure, for the snake to take his lands, he'd have to go through yours, or Koga's lands to get there, and I don't think any of us hates Hikari enough to let Hebikuro take anything from us just to get his hands on him."

Sesshoumaru growled, red flickering through the gold of his eyes. "No. The snake will not touch Hikari - his life is mine to take," he spat.

Shippo's eyebrows disappeared into his bangs at that reaction, glancing at his mother when she made a startled noise. Her gaze was pinned to her intended, surprise evident in her expression.

"Sesshoumaru, please, calm down. He was an arrogant bastard, yes, but I would not want anyone's death on my hands."

"He insulted you in front of me, in our home, my Lady, and that will not go unpunished. He would already be dead had you not been in the room at the time." At her distressed look, he moved over towards her and sat next to her, taking her hands in his own.

"It wasn't just the insult to you, koi. He declared his intention to attack my lands, and that, I cannot tolerate. I will not let an arrogant weakling like that bring war to my peaceful lands because he did not get what he wanted." He growled again, a frown crossing his regal face.

"And then there was his audacity in attempting to force me into mating his horse-faced daughter. All these things cannot go unpunished, koi, else others would think me weak and bring more war to my lands."

Shippo spoke up then, moving closer to sit at his mother's feet. "He's right, Kagome. Remember, this isn't humans. This is youkai law, and the way things must be. In our world, only the strongest survive. It's all about holding your power, and showing weakness is a quick way to lose everything. I know you hate it, but..."

Kagome sighed and nodded. "I understand." She rolled her eyes. "Well, no, actually I don't, but - I can accept that it's your way, even though it's not mine. I just... I hate life being taken unnecessarily, that's all."

"Why does the thought of someone being killed worry you so, my onna? It is merely the way of the world."

She looked at her daiyoukai thoughtfully. "I guess it's because life is precious. I feel as though, if you cannot give life, then you have no right to take it."

Sesshoumaru chuckled then. "Ah, but, my koi - you forget: I indeed can give back a life I have taken. Does this, then, give me the right to kill?"

Kagome's eyes widened, then narrowed. "Why you...! That's not what I meant and you know it!" She smacked him in his arm with frustration as both the men in her life laughed at her. "Fine. Be that way, see if I try to talk to you two again."

Shippo shook his head, amused. "At any rate, Lord Sesshoumaru, Hebikuro plans to move against you at the end of the second month from now." He looked down for a moment, then back up, a serious note entering his voice. "I don't know how you see it, but I, personally, think that you and Koga should attack that arrogant snake before he gets the chance to move."

He clenched his fist, anger sweeping across his face at the thought of that snake getting anywhere near his mother.

"Destroy him within the boundaries of his own lands, instead of letting him bring the destruction of war into yours."

Sesshoumaru nodded. "This Sesshoumaru agrees with you, Lord Shippo. I would sooner destroy his lands than see my own harmed." He caught the younger youkai's eyes, holding his gaze with a peculiar intensity.

"Will you stand with me and Lord Koga against the snake?"

Shippo glanced at his mother, and nodded.

"Hai. Always. For what you've done for her, I will always stand as your ally, as I stated earlier. I meant what I said."