InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fuyu no Shimekiri ❯ Facing Reality ( Chapter 12 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 12: Facing Reality

Shippo spent a week with his mother and her daiyoukai suitor, much of which time, unfortunately, was spent making plans for the upcoming war with the Southern Lands. When he finally left, it was to head to the Eastern Lands, to notify Koga of the danger, and to make sure he would be honoring his alliance with the West and preparing his clans for war.

He was pretty sure Koga would come to Sesshoumaru's call. After all, he was the one that had initially come to the Western Lord with concerns about the South, and knowing Koga, he probably already had the clans gathered. It was a well-known fact that he absolutely hated snakes, so he'd not pass up a chance to kill as many as he could.

First, though, he had a promise to keep to a certain hanyou, and he intended to do so. Inuyasha was making things easy for him, too... he caught his scent easily to the southeast of his position, meaning that he could catch him without having to go too far out of his way.

He wasn't really looking forward to this, though. As angry as he'd been with him in the past, he still didn't want to hurt him, and this situation certainly would.

Apparently, Inuyasha had been looking out for him, because as soon as Shippo got within hailing distance of his camp, he popped out of the trees and practically dragged him into the firelight.

"So?"

Shippo blinked, then shook his head. "Uh, can I at least sit down before you interrogate me, Inuyasha? I've been traveling all day, and I've still got a hell of a lot of traveling to do when I leave in the morning."

Inuyasha shrugged. "Go ahead then, sit." As soon as the kitsune was seated, he pinned him with a gimlet glare. "So?" he repeated.

Shippo caught his gaze and held it, bluntly giving him a weighing look. "What do you want me to tell you, Inuyasha?"

"Keh! Fine, I'll ask you questions, and you can answer 'em, okay?"

He nodded. "That might be best. So, first question?"

Inuyasha turned his eyes on the fire and plopped down. "Is it true? Is Sesshoumaru courting her?"

"Yes."

"And she's... allowing it?" There was a hurt sound in his voice, and Shippo winced.

"It's more than that." He sighed, feeling weighed down with the aura of pain and sadness, and sheer, unadulterated loss coming from his one-time friend.

"She's in love with him, Inuyasha. I'm not going to lie to you about it. You had your chance, and you blew it, and she's finally moved on. She's happy, and as much as it pains me to see you like this, she's waited damn long enough for her chance at happiness. She gave more than all of us in our battle to defeat Naraku - and it's taken this damn long for her to finally get what she deserves for everything she lost, everything she willingly gave up for our sakes."

Inuyasha jumped to his feet, anguish pouring off him. "How can he be what she deserves?! He's a cold-hearted bastard, completely incapable of love! He can't love her like I can!" The hanyou was practically yelling.

Shippo jumped up and growled at him. "How can you judge that, huh, Inuyasha? Have you seen them together? Have you?! Because I suggest that before you go making sweeping judgements like that, you go see what you're talking about!" He shot a disgusted glare at the irate inu.

"And how can you say he can't love her like you can?! When did you ever show her any love at all? You only ever took her for granted, and broke her heart into a thousand pieces... it really says something when you realize that it took her a hundred and forty years to finally get over your dumbass!" he finished, yelling at the top of his voice by the time he reached the last part of the sentence.

Inuyasha stopped, stunned, as he took in Shippo's words. After a few moments, his shoulders slumped, and he lost every bit of spirit he still retained. He sat down again, unable to even stand as the realization of Shippo's words washed through him.

Shippo shook his head again, before sitting back down and closing his eyes.

"No matter what you may think about your brother, Inuyasha, he does love her. He's totally in love with her, and he makes no effort to hide it. He also," here he opened his eyes and shot the hanyou a dirty look, "isn't busy chasing after some other female all the time. He has eyes only for her. After you and Kikyou, she desperately needs that attention - cause she's still convinced she's not worth it."

It was quiet for a while, and when Inuyasha finally spoke, it was almost in a whisper. "I don't think I can bear this, Shippo. It hurts so bad I can barely breathe."

"Now you know how she felt all those times you'd run off to Kikyou... and how much she hurt after you permanently ditched her for the dead woman. Wouldn't you say she's suffered enough for your sake?"

He whimpered. "Yes..."

Shippo reached out to his friend and put his hand on the hanyou's shoulder. "Don't lose all hope, Inuyasha. I think, if you do things right, you may still be able to retain her as a friend. Just don't try to challenge Sesshoumaru's right to her. He'll kill you in a heartbeat if you try." He smiled a bit, eyes still mesmerized by the fire.

"We spoke a bit, alone, before I left, and, well... I got the feeling that she still misses you, and wants your friendship."

Inuyasha's head sank down onto his chest, and his hands shook. "I'll... have to think about it, Shippo. I don't know if I can... let go - enough for that. Besides... do you really think my damned brother would let me anywhere near her?" It was easy to hear the bitterness in his voice.

At that, Shippo chuckled. "He'd do anything she wants, Inuyasha. All she has to do is smile at him, and he's a goner. Of course, he already told her not until after the mating, though, but if you can wait ust a little while... I don't think it'll be much longer before the deed's done."

Inuyasha drew in a shuddering breath, and stood abruptly. "Keh. You can sleep here tonight if you want. I need to go think for a while... I'll see you in the morning before you leave." With that, he leapt into the trees and disappeared.

Shippo pulled his gaze back to the fire, and let out a deep, painful sigh. His heart ached for the hanyou, even knowing that he'd brought it on himself didn't help, and he sincerely hoped that one day, the last pieces of this damned love triangle would finally be put to rest by Inuyasha finding himself a new love.

I hope that horrible sorceress that brought Kikyou back burns in the lowest pit of hell for eternity for all the pain her damn greed caused my friends.

Shaking his head, he leaned back against a convenient tree, wrapped his cloak around him, and dropped off to sleep, still lost in thoughts of his friends, and their combined pasts.