InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fuyu no Shimekiri ❯ Divergent Paths ( Chapter 20 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Chapter 20: Divergent Paths

Sesshoumaru was pleased as his palace finally came into view. They had ended up spending two days camped on the battlefield to allow time for everyone to rest and recover from the battle itself. He had been somewhat impatient about the wait, but understood that his soldiers needed it, and indeed, deserved it.

His only real concern was that they were getting dangerously close to the two-week deadline for his mating that he'd given Kagome, and he definitely had no intention of mating her in uncivilized surroundings. He wanted comfort - and privacy, and that could only be assured in his suite of rooms at his shiro.

Of course, he hadn't taken into account the presence of his mother. He'd known she was plannning to attend the mating dinner, but since that was traditionally done after the mating, he hadn't given a thought to her showing up before the mating.

Turns out, he should have.

He sighed inwardly as they arrived in the courtyard, tired, dusty, and definitely in need of a bath, only to be confronted by his perfectly clean and elegant Lady Mother. Things were bound to go downhill the minute she opened her mouth - she had always been one for baiting and angering people, and it wasn't bloody likely that Kagome would put up with that for long.

He was perfectly correct.

Satori looked down her elegant nose at the obviously tired young woman that was hanging off her son's arm, then turned to him and said, "I see that you have picked up your father's bad habits, my son. Was there no proper, acceptable youkai female available, that you had to visit the dregs and choose a helpless ningen as Lady?"

Kagome's eyebrow rose at the woman's tone, and she snickered inwardly. So she wants to play, does she? She flared her aura slightly, letting the brilliant pink shimmer softly cross her form, and glide up Sesshoumaru's arm - then allowed a small amount to leak off her form and touch his mother, giving her a slight jolt.

The woman's eyes widened as she saw that while the aura did indeed sting her, it did nothing to her son. Kagome wanted her to know just how much control she really had, and how not helpless she was.

"Helpless, my Lady? Many have made that mistake - and a few of them are actually even still alive. Misjudge me not - I can, and will, defend my mate - to the death." Her tone was polite, but firm - nothing that anyone could say was disrespectful, and Sesshoumaru's tension eased immediately. It was obvious that Kagome could handle his mother just fine.

Satori stared at the woman her son had chosen, then turned again to him. "Well, my son? Would you allow this ningen to speak to me in this manner? I had thought that you intended to follow a different path than your father - was I mistaken?"

Sesshoumaru raised a brow at his mother, giving her a cold look. "Learn your place, mother. You will no longer be known as Lady of the West, and you will give Kagome the respect she has earned. Understand this - she is the most powerful female in this land, and could easily destroy even you if she chose."

He tightened his grip on her hand. "I have chosen my path... and if it diverges from the path you had wanted me to take, then that is your problem. If you cannot accept my mate, then you can leave."

Satori held his gaze for a long moment, then smiled. Offering a surprised Kagome her arm, she pulled the young woman away from her son, saying, "Go bathe, Sesshoumaru. You need it. I will escort your intended to her own bath."

He glanced at Kagome,and she nodded, smiling up at him. "I'll be fine, Maru-chan. See you at dinner?"

He tilted his head in the affirmative. "Yes, koi. Enjoy your bath. I will come for you when dinner is ready." He turned a warning look on his mother. "And you, mother. No mischief."

She waved him off, grinning. "Don't be so stuffy, Sesshoumaru. I approve. You were right - she is far from powerless. I just wanted to see for myself. Now go."

Kagome's brow raised. "I see where Sesshoumaru gets his fascination with power, my Lady. You sound very much like him right at this moment."

Satori chuckled. "Indeed. I always enjoyed power, it is intoxicating, is it not? I had never considered that my son would mate a ningen female - mostly because ningens do not usually carry power, and even those that do, have nowhere near the levels of it that my son wields. And the lifespan issue, as well... he could never be happy with one who was not his equal in every way - which is why I acted the way I did. I had to be sure he would not regret this."

Kagome nodded, understanding where she was coming from. It was simple maternal instinct to protect your children, and that included protecting their happiness.

"I understand, my Lady. There are no hard feelings." Her eyes brightened as they entered the hot springs, and she was overjoyed to find her clothes already laid out, along with bathing supplies. Undressing quickly, she waded into the hot water and lay back, sighing deeply.

"So... Kagome. I have heard many tales of the Shikon Miko, one of which states that you are not from this time. Is that true?"

She smiled ruefully. It looked like she'd be spending the next hour helping to alleviate her soon to be mother-in-law's curiousity.

Surprisingly enough, she was still smiling an hour later when Sesshoumaru knocked at her door, ready to escort her to dinner.

With a raised brow, he asked, "Tell me, koi, where is my Lady Mother? I had thought to find her here with you."

Kagome took his arm and allowed him to lead her from her room. "She retired to her own rooms to refresh herself before dinner." She gave him an arch look. "Don't worry, Maru-chan, she left peacefully. We got along fine after you left."

He cast a doubtful glance down at her, then shrugged slightly. "I am pleased to hear that, koi. I must admit, I had wondered how you two would do together." Slowing his pace just a bit, he looked down at her, a measuring look in his eye.

"It has been almost two weeks since I promised that we would be mated within that time frame. Will you allow me to mate you this night, beloved?" he asked softly.

Kagome lost herself in the gold heat of his eyes, the husky timbre of his voice sending a shiver through her, and she could do no more than nod her head, unable to even look away, as she flushed a deep rose in response. Oh, kami... just his voice has me so aroused I can't stand it!

Sesshoumaru's legs almost buckled as the scent of her arousal hit the air around them, and his eyes flashed red as he fought his beast for control. This meal was going to be the hardest he had ever had to sit through - and he had the feeling that everyone would know it as soon as they set eyes on him, because he simply could not completely control his response to her.

Mother will never let me live this down, he thought sourly, seriously considering his beast's suggestion to turn around and take her to his chambers now. Reluctantly he decided against it - his mother would never allow them to sneak off like that. He'd just have to sit through the torture for a little while.

He smiled predatorily down at his miko, who was still staring at him, caught in his hot gaze. She was mesmerized, and he felt a surge of triumph go through him as he led her through the doors into the dining hall - it was obvious that it was him that had so completely turned her on - not his damnable half-brother, nor the ookami, and finally, for the first time, he fully realized that she was truly his, and no one elses.

He leaned down to whisper in her ear as he led her to their spot at the head of the table, "I suggest you eat quickly, beloved, or I will not be held responsible for my actions."

She just nodded dumbly, still unable to dredge up her voice from the pit it had fallen into. Her attention was jerked back to her surroundings when Satori sniffed pointedly and sent a disapproving glance at her son.

"Could you not wait to begin such activities until after the meal, my son? I had thought you had more control than that." She smiled slightly when Kagome caught what she was hinting at and flushed even deeper, dropping her gaze to the floor.

Sesshoumaru raised a brow at his mother. "I am sitting here, am I not?" At his mother's nod, he asked silkily, "Then how can you question my control?"

"Sesshoumaru!" Kagome hissed, totally disconcerted. "Did you have to say that for everyone to hear?!"

Glancing disinterestedly at the grinning faces around the table, he sniffed. "I have no need to hide my desire for my soon-to-be-mate from anyone. If they do not like it, they may leave."

Kagome's eyes widened, and she shot a look around the table, noting the smiles and snickers. Even her son seemed to find the situation amusing, and she narrowed her eyes on him.

"Tell me Shippo, my love, how long before I receive notice that my son has chosen a mate of his own?"

Shippo flushed and looked down at his plate. "Not for a while, momma... why?"

"Because when I do, you will remind me of this dinner, and I will endeavor to turn you as red as I am right now before your own mate-to-be."

Satori frowned, and spoke before Shippo could say anything in his defence. "Your son?"

Sesshoumaru nodded at his mother. "This is the new Lord of the South, Lord Shippo. He is Kagome's adopted son."

Her brow raised in surprise. "I am sure there is quite the tale for the telling in that. I would like to hear it. Not many, especially a miko, would adopt an orphaned youkai child."

"I believe I have stated before, mother, that Kagome is not like anyone else."

She nodded agreeably. "You have - and you were right." She sighed. "I was wrong, my son, when I said that you were following in your father's footsteps. You have found your own path - and a fine woman to share it with you. I give my blessings to this union, and may your divergent path prove joyous for you."

Kagome smiled sweetly, and Sesshoumaru's eyes softened slightly as he looked at his mother. "Thank you, mother. I would be honored if you would oversee the Formal Dinner to announce our mating - would two days time be enough, since the other Cardinal Lords are already here?" He looked around with a frown as she nodded. "Speaking of that, where is Lord Koga?"

Shippo caught Sesshoumaru's eye. "I believe he left just after you both came in." He lowered his voice. "He is still having difficulty accepting that Kagome is out of his reach, you know. He's been in love with her for years - even though she never returned those feelings..." he trailed off.

Kagome looked saddened for a minute. "I wonder what ever happened to Ayame?"

Sesshoumaru frowned down at her. "Who is this Ayame?"

"She was the princess of the Northern Ookami Tribe - Koga was supposed to mate her, or at least, that's what she claimed. She was completely in love with him, but her grandfather saw the mating merely as a way to strengthen the tribes."

Shippo smirked. "Oh, she's still around, and still waiting for Koga to come to his senses. When she finds out that Sesshoumaru's mated you, she'll start hounding him again... it'll be good for him, and I'll bet ya anything that she'll one day get him to mate her. Just give it time."

"Hn. As long as the ookami does not continue to moon after my mate. I do not have the patience for that."

Satori shook her head at him. "Do you feel so very threatened by the feelings of the ookami Lord, then, my son?"

Sesshoumaru sent her a disdainful look, as Kagome frowned at him. "This Sesshoumaru has no need to be threatened by any male. The miko is mine. Do not speak of such ridiculous things." He held her gaze haughtily for a moment, and Kagome laughed behind her hand - until he turned that gaze on her, and it went from haughty to just plain hot.

"This Sesshoumaru has decided that you are finished with your meal, miko. We will now retire," he said, a wicked look in his eye as she once again blushed and began to splutter nervously. Standing, he held out his arm for her imperiously, and wide-eyed, she scrambled up to take it.

Ignoring the grins and smirks around the room completely, he kept his gaze on Kagome for several long seconds, rendering her once again speechless. Glancing over his shoulder at his mother and Shippo, he said, "Do not expect to see us tomorrow - I will send the servants for our meals. I also will not tolerate any disturbances unless the world is ending. Goodnight."

Satori watched her son sweep out the door, and smiled. It had taken over half a millenium, but her son had finally found happiness.

It was way past time.