InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fuyu no Shimekiri ❯ Challenged ( Chapter 23 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Chapter 23: Challenged

Sesshoumaru paced nervously in the hall as he waited for his mate to finish getting ready. He was extremely eager to see what she would look like in the gift he'd chosen for her - he'd personally picked out the fabric, colors, and style - wanting it to be something more personalized than just a nice piece of clothing.

He hoped he'd been successful.

He was absolutely positive that no one, from his mother, and the rest of the world, to Kagome herself, really realized how much he loved her, and it wasn't in him to be able to actually say it. Even if he had been the expressive type, he was pretty sure that there were no words in any language he'd ever heard that would do justice to his feelings anyway - so he would spend eternity doing everything to show her without words. This kimono was just the beginning. As far as he was concerned, nothing was too good for her.

Kagome had been overwhelmed when she'd seen what was waiting for her, and as the maids helped her dress, she couldn't stop smiling. The ensemble was beautiful - in fact, she was sure that something so divine was wasted on her, but anyone wearing something like this, no matter how plain in appearance, would be made beautiful, she was positive of that.

He'd chosen well. She was aware that he'd designed every aspect of it, and was very touched that he'd spent so much time on something for her. As she preened in front of the mirror, she ran her hands down her sides, smoothing the fabric. He had excellent taste.

It was made of the finest silk, and dyed in a way she hadn't been aware that this time period could do. The neckline, and down across the top part of the bodice, was silver, and it darkened as it swept towards the floor to a deep, sapphire blue. The bottom was embroidered with sparkling silver thread in a swirl of leaves that worked their way around the kimono towards her hips, where it met the obi, then continued its way up her chest and around her back, in a smaller pattern, only in sapphire blue thread that matched the color of the bottom of the kimono. It looked as though she was caught in a spiral of ice-touched leaves.

On the right shoulder sat the symbol of his house, the blue of the crescent the same color as the mark on his forehead. The obi itself was an even deeper midnight blue, almost echoing the highlights of her hair in intensity, also embroidered with silver thread. The matching slippers were of the same material, going from silver at the front, to blue at the heel.

With her hair done in an elaborate updo, a few tendrils hanging in ringlets framing her face, she looked every inch the Lady, and she had to admit, she felt it, too. She felt like a princess, and she couldn't wait to see Sesshoumaru's face. She hoped he thought the whole thing was worth the effort he'd put into it.

As soon as she hit the hallway, she knew he was more than pleased with the effect. She could actually see him struggle to maintain his much-vaunted control, and somewhere feminine and deep inside purred, ecstatic that she could get that kind of reaction out of him, while the rest of her was busy being just as affected by his appearance.

She swallowed hard and took the arm he wordlessly held out her. This was going to be a long night, she could tell... because she already wanted to rip him out of his clothes and jump him right there. He looked regal in a shade of blue that was somewhere between sapphire and midnight, obviously chosen to match his mate's outfit, and the color, set against his silver hair and golden eyes, was to die for. He looked like something only the kami could have created, and her heart fluttered like crazy at the thought that he was hers. Willingly hers.

Smiling besottedly up at him, she barely noticed as they arrived at the formal reception room, until they hit the top of the steps... and the room went suddenly silent. Finally turning her face out to the room, she waited as her mate's mother crossed to the foot of the steps, and turning, announced them to the crowd as the Lord and Lady of the West.

Applause met the announcement, although it was obviously fake in several instances, and they stepped down into the room, to be met by Satori, Shippo, and Inuyasha, as family. They would be announced again as mates once more - when they reached the dais at the front of the room, by Sesshoumaru himself. At that time, any who opposed the union for any reason would be allowed to speak up and challenge it. Sesshoumaru hoped that no one was stupid enough to try - he was perfectly willing to kill whoever thought they had the right, but really did not wish to do so in front of his newly-pupped mate. He did not want her upset.

It was also when he would announce that she was carrying his heir.

Kagome smiled and nodded as they made their way to the front of the room, inwardly taking note of those females that looked as though they had problems - just in case. So far, thankfully, there weren't too many that dared to show any displeasure.

Pregnant or not, she knew that none here would be able to cause her any harm, even if she had to battle someone. Hopefully, though, that wouldn't happen, because she didn't want to see Sesshoumaru go off the deep end if someone tried...

She absently glanced around at the room, impressed with Satori's taste. She smiled when she realized that she was fast becoming very fond of her mate's mother, and wondered what he thought of it. She looked up at him as he exchanged pleasantries with one of his council members - no business was on the agenda for this night except their mating, and he refused all formal discussions of anything else.

Finally, they made it to the dais, and as they mounted it, he let go of her arm to motion for silence from the room as they faced the crowd. Stepping forward, he spoke.

"Let all know this night that I, Sesshoumaru, Lord of the West, have chosen and marked a mate." Placing a hand upon her arm, he guided her forward. "Be it known that this is the Lady Kagome, Miko of the Shikon no Tama, and my chosen female. I have mated her in accordance with youkai law. Furthermore, be aware that she is carrying the heir to the West." At the surprised murmurs that went through the room, he caught his mother's eye, and bowed his head slightly at her beaming smile, before looking out over the assembled crowd and speaking again in a deadly voice.

"If there is any here who wish to dispute my choice, then speak now."

There was silence for several seconds, and he hoped that they would not have to deal with any challenges, but just as he was about to invite everyone to the dining room, two voices were heard... one male, and one female.

"I object to this. The House of the West is powerful enough - it does not need to be granted even more of an advantage. The mating of the Shikon Miko should go to another House."

As Sesshoumaru's eyes narrowed in rage, the crowds parted, whispers and jeers following the male who had spoken.

"And who are you? This Seshoumaru has never seen you before, neko," he hissed. "What right do you have here to object to anything?"

The neko youkai drew himself up to his full height and stated proudly, "I am Jiro, Lord of the North."

Sesshoumaru snarled at the male, but before he could respond, a female voice spoke up.

"And I challenge this miko," she sneered, "as a ningen, she is not worthy to mate the Western Lord, nor to birth the heir. I will defeat her, and win the right to mate the Lord myself!"

Kagome angrily looked the two over. Jiro was tall, though not so tall as her mate, and golden of hair, with emerald eyes. Attractive enough - if one had never seen Sesshoumaru. And the female? She was beautiful, ice-blond hair and black eyes - but her power was minimal, and Kagome snorted. She would be no challenge at all.

She clenched a hand around his arm, pulling close, she whispered, "What happens now, beloved?"

Eyes still flickering red, and jaw clenched tight with rage at the nerve of the two, he said, "Now, my mate, we fight." Raising his voice to be heard over the buzz of astonished gossip flying through the room, he gestured towards the doors. "Challenge has been issued, we will now adjourn to the training grounds, where I will proceed to destroy this new 'Lord'."

Suddenly, as all within the room began to turn and head out, a massive aura unclenched itself within the room, causing panic in quite a few hearts - it was a miko aura, and one unlike any that any youkai here had ever seen. Inuyasha, Shippo, and Koga, however, just moved to the edges of the room, knowing exactly what was about to happen, and not wanting to get in the way.

As soon as the aura began to manifest itself, the doors, which had been opened in preparation, slammed themselves shut, and when those present turned to look at the center of that aura, jaws dropped. She stood, tall and deadly, surrounded by a pink glow that was echoed in her eyes, and swirled around her in a funnel of purifying power.

Kagome.

What was most amazing is that Sesshoumaru was also enveloped in that aura - and was very obviously not being harmed by it. As the shocked and frightened crowd backed away from the dais, she lifted her head and began to speak.

"I will not allow this." Even her voice was otherworldly, almost choral in effect, and it sent shivers down the spine of everyone present. She pointed at the male youkai, who was even now, pale with apprehension. "You, youkai. You think that I am some prize to be won by the best warrior? Even if by some miracle you defeated my Lord, which you would not, you would never have me, for in the instant that you touched me, I would purify you into dust." Her voice was strong, deadly.

She turned her gaze from Jiro and swept the rest of the room. "Understand this, everyone here. I am the Shikon no Miko, and I will never submit to any other save my Lord and mate, Sesshoumaru. Not ever. Anyone who attempts to part me from him I will kill without a second thought."

The room was totally silent, not a sound to be heard, and the only one not surprised was Sesshoumaru himself. He stood next to her, fiercely proud - in this one move, despite the fact that it completely disregarded youkai law, she had proven beyond a shadow of a doubt and for all time just who she belonged to - by her own choice.

Before he could speak, she looked to the now extremely frightened female who had challenged her right as mate, and eyes narrowing dangerously, she said, "As for you, if you think you could withstand my power, then I will be pleased to fight you. My Lord, however, is also not a prize to be won - he made his choice and that choice was me. Accept that, or die. There will be no second chance."

Flaring her aura again, she pushed it against the youki of both challengers, battering against them and forcing both to their knees. As frightened whispers went around the room, she pushed them lower, till both were prostrated before the dais.

"That is where you two belong... on the ground below my Lord's feet. Are either of you strong enough to rise to your feet against me?"

Sesshoumaru, who had watched this demonstration of her power, said silkily, "I would not attempt to fight it, either of you. You have nowhere near the power needed to subdue her." He glanced at the female youkai. "As for you, even were you to be stronger than her, I would not mate you." His lip curled with disdain, he finished in a deadly soft voice, "I have waited for the Lady for almost a century and a half, and I will not ever give her up. Even if I lost her, I would not take another - ever. Understand that now."

Locking gazes with Kagome, he nodded, and she began pulling her aura back in, the pink light fading from her eyes, and finally allowing the two in the center of the room laying flat on the ground in obeisance to stand - only for them to find armed guards waiting to escort them from the palace in shame. They made no sound, and no one attempted to speak for them.

The new Lord of the North would not live this down for some time to come - he'd be lucky to find anyone willing to accept him as a mate now, and the female - she was in the same boat. Inuyasha snickered with the thought that maybe the two should just mate each other - since it was unlikely anyone else would care to.

He sighed then. As much as Kagome's words had hurt him, he respected her power, and knew that she indeed never would look at another male the way she did Sesshoumaru. Kagome was nothing if not loyal, and when she gave her heart, she gave it unconditionally.

Too bad he'd been the fool that hadn't seen that till it was far, far, too late. He'd be paying for that mistake beyond forever.

Glancing at Koga as they followed the crowd to the dining hall, he was pretty sure the ookami Lord felt the same. The look on his face was again one of loss, and envy for the one who'd been lucky enough to win her heart.

No, he thought, it wasn't just her heart. He carried her soul - and if Inuyasha was not mistaken, she also carried his.

What they had was beyond mere concepts of love and romanticism.

It was fierce, primal, and untamed, and more powerful than anything he'd ever seen.

It was truly... eternal.