InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hachinintai ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hachinintai
Band of Eight
 
By Anonymous Laughter
 
Disclaimer: I do not own the characters created by Rumiko Takahashi.
 
Chapter Four
 
“You want me to what?” Kagome asked, baffled at the statement.
 
“Come with me to get you good clothes like these, as a team of mercenaries we need to make a statement.” Bankotsu explained simply. Bankotsu was wearing a new outfit of white and blue with gray armbands and boots. It made him look suspiciously stylish for a mercenary.
 
“What statement is that? `Don't get blood on my clothes.' Or maybe `We kill, in style.'” Kagome sarcastically said.
 
“Ooo, I like the second one,” Jakotsu said with a grin, “I think new clothes are a good idea. I could use a new kimono anyway.”
 
“Ugh! What is with you, Jakotsu-san. You agree with Bankotsu-kun on everything. You shouldn't stroke his ego, if you don't we'll end up having a pompous egotist for a leader.”
 
“What does `pompous' mean?” Bankotsu asked.
 
“Arrogant.”
 
“I am not arrogant. I'm just better than everyone,” Bankotsu said with a grin, “Besides, it's not like it'll kill you if you spend some money. Our last mission paid pretty well.”
 
“She didn't do anything but stand around though,” Jakotsu said, before turning to Kagome and saying in a mocking voice, “That's not very good teamwork Kagome-san.”
 
“I'm just not used to the idea of killing anyone,” Kagome said, “I've lived on a shrine my whole life and killing people is against the law where I from for goodness sakes.”
 
“Well, enough talk! To the marketplace, follow me Kagome-kun!” Bankotsu ordered and Kagome followed him sullenly.
 
“I think you should wear pink since you're a girl and all,” Bankotsu mentioned.
 
“But I don't like pink. Green and blue are my favorite colors.”
 
“Hey I like pink,” Jakotsu said before he spotted a pattern he liked, it was pink with teal flowers, “Ooo! This one is pretty! I'm going to take it.”
 
Kagome looked through the patterns. Kagome decided triple-bonded silk would be best. It was thick enough to offer some protection if someone attacked her and it would be comfortable in the warm weather. Wool was better suited for the fall and winter anyway.
 
Jakotsu was standing off to the side talking to Bankotsu quietly so Kagome wouldn't hear, “I think you should change your hair, Bankotsu-kun. Something stylish like a braid.”
 
“Won't that make me look girly,” Bankotsu wondered.
 
“I'll choose to ignore that comment this once Bankotsu-kun,” Jakotsu said with a flirtatious grin, “Let's help Kagome-san pick her clothes, she has no sense of style.”
 
Kagome stood looking at two different patterns. A simple blue background with green leaf designs or a green background with blue and pink flower clusters. “Pick the blue one,” Bankotsu said, causing her to startle. She hadn't heard him approach.
 
“You're just saying that because you like blue, Bankotsu-kun,” Jakotsu said playfully, “Green would look better on Kagome-san though.”
 
“Do you really think so, Jakotsu-kun?” Kagome asked, “Because I was thinking of getting the same pattern but in red.”
 
“Have you any eyes little-woman?” Jakotsu looked ill, “Never-ever wear warm colors with your complexion with the exception of yellow or pink. Red and orange would make you an eyesore.”
 
“Excuse me young lady, but do you happen to be a miko of any sort?” A middle-aged man asked suddenly.
 
“A miko?” Kagome said, “I'm not a miko but I have lived on a shrine my entire life.”
 
“Then that explains the immense spiritual power you seem to produce. My name is Yasunao and I am my village's priest. I'd like your help in dealing with a demon.”
 
“Well I-” Kagome began.
 
“She accepts, if you pay a reasonable price of course,” Bankotsu said with a grin.
 
“Bankotsu!” Kagome scolded, “What if he doesn't have any money.”
 
“Then he wouldn't have interrupted us in a marketplace,” Jakotsu said, “What are you willing to pay to have help from our dear little sister, sir?”
 
The man looked puzzled but said, “My village will offer you six gold pieces if we start today and will give you food and shelter until your departure. Your, uh, brother and sister are welcome to come with us.”
 
“Well, what are we waiting for then?” Bankotsu said, “Let's buy this and get on our way.”
 
Kagome shook her head and grabbed her new cloths and Aza before they left. As they walked down the road, Yasunao described the situation, “About a month ago this demon began attacking surrounding villages. He slaughters everyone except for children your age and younger. You will be able to get close to him and purify him. He should attack tonight after sunset.”
 
“How do you know when he'll attack,” Jakotsu asked, “That sounds suspiciously convenient.”
 
“He sent a message this morning with a warning that he'll arrive and kill anyone still within the village.”
 
“The demon sent a message?” Jakotsu asked incredulously.
 
“Yes, so we should hurry.”
 
It was nightfall by the time they entered the village and Yasunao shrieked when the sound of a scream filled the air. At the center of the village a male with wild hair and steel claws was slashing up the men and women in his reach to ribbons. “There he is! That's the demon!”
 
The man swiveled at the sound of the shout and Kagome got a clear look at him. He had very dark reddish-brown hair and flashing gray eyes that were slightly insane. There was a feral glint to him but for some reason Kagome didn't think he was a demon. “Alright young one. Walk up to him and purify him while he's distracted.”
 
“Uh, I don't think that guy's a de-”
 
“Now, now child. No need to worry. This demon doesn't hurt children, you can just walk straight up to him.”
 
“But I-”
 
“What are you waiting for? More people to be killed?”
 
Kagome sighed walked up to the crazy man whose eye was twitching, “Hey you! I know you're not a demon so please stop hurting these people or I'll have to get Bankotsu-kun to knock you out.”
 
“You dare…but I…can't kill her…you've killed and you'll kill more…not her…not the…child…” the man was shaking now. Yasunao and the villagers had baffled expressions on their faces.
 
Kagome felt sympathy for the man. She reached over and touched his arm, “You don't have to destroy needlessly. Come with us, you seem lost and I will try to help you.”
 
“…help me?...why would anyone…help a murderer…”
 
“My name's Kagome and you could come with me and my friends if you'd like. Despite your apparent thirst for blood I can feel good in you. What is your name?”
 
The man seemed to jolt and he blinked curiously at Kagome before he said, “Hello young one. I am Doctor Suikotsu. It seems you have a bruise on your arm. I can help mend it.”
 
Kagome took his hand and led him to a slightly confused Bankotsu, “Hey Bankotsu-kun, this is Suikotsu. He's a doctor and I think he ought to come with us.” Then she whispered into his ear so Suikotsu couldn't hear, “I think he might have a multiple personality so don't make him mad.
 
Bankotsu grinned lazily and said, “So you're a doctor, huh? We could use one of those. If little sister Kagome ever gets wounded you'll be able to fix her. How old are you?”
 
“Twenty. I'd be glad to help if it's in the service of this young girl.” Suikotsu said with a confused smile. Confused because apparently both sides wanted something for once. His dark side saw the weapons and the good side saw the opportunity to help a child.
 
“Who'll get wounded?” Kagome growled.
 
While the two youngest of the ever growing group argued Jakotsu walked up to Yasunao and said, “We took care of your problem so time to pay up. And you better not gyp us or I'll get mad at you.”
 
In a daze the man nodded, “Yeah…sure…here…”
 
Jakotsu grinned, “It's been a good day. I got new clothes, a new man and new money.”
 
END CHAPTER FOUR
 
Hurrah for reviews! I love this story and all the characters are growing on me so well! (Like cute little leeches.)