InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hanging by a moment... ❯ Communication Skills ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]






Genre(s): Angst, Romance
Rating: T
Warnings: Language
Word Count: 500






~ Communication Skills ~






Nervously rehearsing her speech, Kagome finally gathered the courage to approach Inuyasha with what she wanted to say, the completed Sacred Jewel pulsing in time with her heart from its place around her neck. She knew she would have to purify it out of existence before much longer, otherwise it would continue to cause problems. With Naraku gone, it was only a matter of time before some other power hungry youkai came looking for it, but one thing at a time.

“Inuyasha…” she started hesitantly, “There’s something I need to discuss with you.” she continued, taken aback by his harsh glare.

“You still here?” he deadpanned, crossing his arms, his posture hard. “Come to say goodbye, is that it? Well go on and go! Who needs you around, anyway?”

His harsh words continued, but Kagome had gone deaf, the sound of her soul shattering preventing her from hearing anything else. Preventing her from hearing Inuyasha’s own soul ripping in two, from noticing the way his eyes misted over along with hers, or the way his very being radiated his fear of being left all alone.

“Fine!” she shouted, “This is what you really wanted all along, wasn’t it?” she accused, yanking on the jewel until the chain snapped. It might have been the stupidest thing she’d ever done, but even in her turmoil she could never believe that Inuyasha was an evil man. He was an asshole, but he wasn’t evil. “Then here!” she cried, “Have your precious jewel! Shove it up your ass for all I care!”

She threw the jewel at him, which he caught on reflex, his eyes wide in surprise as he watched her twirl around and run away. He was too distraught to notice or wonder why the jewel didn’t tarnish at his touch, neither knowing nor caring that it was his presumed sacrifice, his desire for her well-being, that was temporarily keeping it pure. Dark thoughts would taint it quickly without a miko’s care.

“What’s all the yelling about?” Sango said suddenly, coming outside, her eyes widening in shock at the equally shocked Inuyasha, jewel in hand.

“What did you do this time? No, never mind. Go after her, you idiot!”

Wordlessly he obeyed, racing towards the well. Without the jewel, Kagome couldn’t return. Leaving it …that had been her way of saying she really was leaving forever. But he couldn’t allow her to think that all he’d wanted was the jewel. He didn’t want it at all any more.

Approaching the well, he was shocked all over again to find her sitting on its edge. She hadn’t yet jumped through?

“Kagome?”

“I…already told them all goodbye.” she admitted through her sniffles.

“You were…planning on staying here?” he asked, eyes wide in disbelief.

Nodding, she glanced his way, confessing, “I…was going to tell you that…I wanted to stay…with you, if you’d have me.”

Suddenly finding herself wrapped in a warm embrace, Kagome knew they’d have to work on their communication skills in the future.